Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Atlantic Rim is so obviously the first draft of a screenplay that I kind of love it. "What's something tough this general guy could say here? 'Get him on the horn,' have I used that already? Probably not. Oh good, another 'Top Chef' is on next, hopefully I'll be done with this script before the news. Hey Derek, do you remember if I said these monsters laid eggs? I think I did."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I tried to watch the first season of new mst3k and didn't really get in to it but just finished mac and me earlier today and that was really good! Almost turned it off in the first 10 minutes because they were just shotgunning jokes everywhere constantly but it slowed down after and that got super funny. I'm excited to get to Ator because i've watched that entire awful movie months ago after finding it on amazon prime. I remember magical imaginary deer leading them in to a trap cave? or something AND A SPIDER. That's about it.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Mike's done riffs before on MST3K where he's poked fun at religion and conservative politics before, so he's clearly not the stick-in-the-mud Mike Pence kind of religious conservative. Same with his wife Bridget, too, regarding the (usually awesome) Rifftrax stuff she does with Mary Jo. As a Midwesterner I'd say it's more one of those "good Midwestern values" things with Mike, and less the Trump or Pence kind of truly evil conservativism.

mike reminds me of jeff foxworthy, a comedian who comes from a religious and conservative background but who is a professional at their craft and places the joke first when it's time to make jokes

they're not going to be going around doing extremely rauchy humor but at the same time they're not tightwads either

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Jose Oquendo posted:

I actually liked this season a LOT more than 11. My bird fuckin loved it too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UODFtYe8TU4

Haha. My parakeet likes the MST3K theme song because he's heard it a lot, but he's still not sure about the baby, so I think he liked season 11 better. Bird reviews.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
If you've seen Cave Dwellers, you've seen Ator. The whole movie gets recapped in that sequence where Crow complains "Jeez, Tolkien couldn't follow this plot!"

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Actually, there are two more films in the Ator franchise for them to riff, if they want to go for the full collection. I liked some of the running gags they had when they'd do multiple Gamera films or that time in season 3 they did a few sequels.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Finished Lords of the Deep. Had a hard time understanding anything Doctor Phibes was saying. Her introduction was clunky as hell.
Remember when Mike was Valaria as the first Hexfield viewscreen guest in Season 2? It felt like that. So there's always room for improvement.

And got through The Day Time Ended! What a mess, loved the show, even the song.

Wanted to like the bit with Josh showing up, but it just kinda fell flat, and made me sad to be reminded that Frank and Dr. F are officially "dead" in MST3K.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Failson posted:

Finished Lords of the Deep. Had a hard time understanding anything Doctor Phibes was saying. Her introduction was clunky as hell.
Remember when Mike was Valaria as the first Hexfield viewscreen guest in Season 2? It felt like that. So there's always room for improvement.

And got through The Day Time Ended! What a mess, loved the show, even the song.

Wanted to like the bit with Josh showing up, but it just kinda fell flat, and made me sad to be reminded that Frank and Dr. F are officially "dead" in MST3K.

Frank, at least, has a job as a Soultaker now that he's dead

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib
It’s also a show that is very casual about its fiction. If Frank or Trace decide to come back in the future for an appearance, they can easily make them not dead.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Technically speaking, Crow, Tom & Gypsy shouldn't even be on the Satellite of Love. They can do whatever they want if more of the cast want to do a cameo.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Clearly Mike threw Tom and Crow out of his apartment and Gypsy's company failed.

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.
I mean, we don't know. Maybe ConGypsCo's main product is the payload.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Bicyclops posted:

Technically speaking, Crow, Tom & Gypsy shouldn't even be on the Satellite of Love. They can do whatever they want if more of the cast want to do a cameo.

Kinga built new versions of them. That's my take on it.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

man oh man it took me a minute to realize Growler was playing the 'Wild Rebels' song on the air dancer organ.

Burkion posted:

Jonah made them

Why is Gypsy delivering them to the theater in what looks like a shopping bag every episode, just for them to wander off?

LividLiquid posted:

That's, like, brain surgery worrisome.

Plot Twist: Mike was the true Brain Guy all along

re: Mike's politics - Unlike most "conservative comedians", Mike is a comedian first, which is why he isn't the pile of failures like Stephen Crowder

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Barbara! BARBARA! BARBARA! BARBARA!!

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

TL posted:

It’s also a show that is very casual about its fiction. If Frank or Trace decide to come back in the future for an appearance, they can easily make them not dead.

Yup, there's a billion ways they could do it. Ghosts, clones, mad-science resurrection (Dr. F killed Frank a whole bunch of times, remember). Whatever they could make a decent joke out of. Or even a no-explanation "they're just THERE".

tao of lmao
Oct 9, 2005

I’m still working my way through The Return and Beast of Hollow Mountain was a drat fine episode. Probably my favorite of the new crew so far although the avalanche movie was pretty good too.

I’m so glad there are more new episodes to watch so I don’t feel the need to ration them out to myself anymore.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Mokinokaro posted:

Kinga built new versions of them. That's my take on it.

I want an episode where TraceCrow, BillCrow, and KevinServo come back to the SOL and it's just Jonah and 5 bots arguing in the theater.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

A theater full of Tom Servos, all riffing at the same time, a cacophony of singing, sarcastic remarks, and screaming.

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe
Thank you, Goons, for talking me around on the meanness of the riffs. You're right, I wouldn't want it to turn into another angry movie yelling show.

Plus, Rifftrax has the meaner, edgier riffs pretty well covered.

TL posted:

Bicyclops posted:

True, it was just a bit of a downer in an otherwise positive episode.

As for the bots, I just assumed they were some of the thousands of copies that were made over the years. SOL was crawling with 'em (like toothpicks).

tao of lmao posted:

I’m still working my way through The Return and Beast of Hollow Mountain was a drat fine episode. Probably my favorite of the new crew so far although the avalanche movie was pretty good too.

I’m so glad there are more new episodes to watch so I don’t feel the need to ration them out to myself anymore.

Beast is a good one!

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Beast of Hollow Mountain has my favorite host segment of the Netflix series so far.

"WHO MUST WE KILL TO SLAKE THY ANGER?!?"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Liberal Idiot posted:

Beast of Hollow Mountain has my favorite host segment of the Netflix series so far.

"What was that about?"

"That wasn't us..."

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Liberal Idiot posted:

Is this that Hamilton show everyone's been talking about?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Liberal Idiot posted:

Yeah, it's Trump/Rex Dart, Escimo Spy level for me.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Failson posted:

Plus, Rifftrax has the meaner, edgier riffs pretty well covered.

in the short setting up a room, kevin just lets out a good five second scream at the top of his lungs and it is one of my favorite riffs ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_nPp64OrBc

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

luxury handset posted:

in the short setting up a room, kevin just lets out a good five second scream at the top of his lungs and it is one of my favorite riffs ever

He does it in Mitchell and I just lost it the first time I saw it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=c8kUgHsKWJc

Failson
Sep 2, 2018
Fun Shoe

LadyPictureShow posted:

In Santa vs Meets the Ice Cream Bunny, they each take a turn.

Cercueil
Sep 21, 2006

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

Why is Gypsy delivering them to the theater in what looks like a shopping bag every episode, just for them to wander off?

I think Gypsy's just dropping off lunch for Jonah, Crow, and Tom, and they're just tagging along.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Failson posted:

That movie took its toll on me. I thought I had a high threshold, but that's next level.

In happier news, I didn't know the RiffTrax guys did some stuff for (or over) NatGeo, covering this seemingly well-meaning but extremely doofy guy who hunts "monsters" across the world. He was super excited at the thought of there being a giant death bat in South America that was clearly just regular vampire bats from the word go.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

luxury handset posted:

LadyPictureShow posted:

Failson posted:

For me, the high water mark is when Joel loses his poo poo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0_f5fkrCTA&t=12s

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
i just realized what bothers me the most about atlantic rim, other than everything: that irritating stock "serious military business" music that plays constantly throughout the film regardless of the mood or situation

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

luxury handset posted:

I have just watched Setting up a Room. The scream is nowhere near five seconds. Also, once I regain the ability to relate to other human beings, expect to hear from my lawyer about causing me to watch Setting up a Room.

Rev. Bleech_ posted:

That is the payload. It appears to be connected to whatever is added to the films before they are placed in the storage unit. In The Return, Gypsy dropped off and collected it without help. In the Gauntlet, M.Waverly and Growler appear to be assisting and/or pointlessly hanging around during delivery and collection.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

i just realized what bothers me the most about atlantic rim, other than everything: that irritating stock "serious military business" music that plays constantly throughout the film regardless of the mood or situation

It's like RollerGator's constant acoustic guitar noodling.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

It seems to be a bucket, and since the movies are liquid now, I imagine it's there to collect Jonah and the bots' reactions as liquid as well. So like, the riffs go in the bucket.

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Dawgstar posted:

It's like RollerGator's constant acoustic guitar noodling.

RollerGator and it's soundtrack broke me forever

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

LividLiquid posted:

It seems to be a bucket, and since the movies are liquid now, I imagine it's there to collect Jonah and the bots' reactions as liquid as well. So like, the riffs go in the bucket.

I guess we can explain away the faster riff pace as THE RIFFS MUST FLOW.

Although the older riffs were also shown to be in liquid form so I guess that’s always been the plan, all the way back to Dr F.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I figured Kinga just liquefied them for archival purposes. Like when my dad digitized his record collection.

Anyway, I'm rewatching Killer Fish right now, and while Gypsy's piña colada is a nice touch for her Nessie costume, it's the cowboy hat that really completes it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Killer Fish is such a weird movie. It just can't decide if it wants to be a monster movie or a heist thriller. Like the double cross ending doesn't make any sense.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

New season was pretty nice. I like that they are including more of the crew in the riffs and the host segments, but most of the Growler, Waverly, and Phibes stuff has fallen flat for me so far. Killer Fish was my least favorite episode, mostly because Growler's interruptions just weren't funny. Maybe it's just that the new characters don't have 30 years of history like Tom, Crow, and Gypsy.

Re: Mike's politics, I'm not even convinced that he's that much of a conservative at this point. As far as I know he hasn't discussed it publicly since that interview from years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Narsham posted:

I have just watched Setting up a Room. The scream is nowhere near five seconds. Also, once I regain the ability to relate to other human beings, expect to hear from my lawyer about causing me to watch Setting up a Room.

The best thing about Setting up a Room is the "trailer" they released. It does a better job explaining the short more than a highlight reel would.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI0uJfpKUPM