Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Absolutely loving not. Not a single dollar. gently caress off Schumer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Schumer is going to agree to the 5 billion if they can name it after John McCain.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Chuck Schumer is loving terrible at every aspect of his job. What a waste.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

gently caress this useless turd

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Lightning Knight posted:

Absolutely loving not. Not a single dollar. gently caress off Schumer.

https://twitter.com/OsitaNwanevu/status/1067524040255041536

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah I don't want to go all DEMS BAD but even if $1.6 billion isn't that much in terms of the federal budget the symbolic value of saying "gently caress off" to Trump regarding the wall is pretty important for who we should be as a nation.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

The President wanted 20 death camps but we are taking a stand and saying he can only have 8.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mind_Taker posted:

Yeah I don't want to go all DEMS BAD but even if $1.6 billion isn't that much in terms of the federal budget the symbolic value of saying "gently caress off" to Trump regarding the wall is pretty important for who we should be as a nation.

This guy gets it.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

given that the recent wave was from anti trump sentiment thats a pretty clear guide

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Bipartisan politics is agreeing to only a third of what the racist idiot wants to complete a vanity project campaign promise to other racist idiots after the country rejected his party in an unpresidented wave. It's why the smart and reasonable people subscribe to this sort of sensible and economically responsible politics.

Z. Autobahn
Jul 20, 2004

colonel tigh more like colonel high
tbh defending Schumer is way worse than defending Manchin

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
I just called Tammy Baldwin’s office and told them that I have canvassed for her in the last two elections and if she votes for wall funding I will never campaign for her again. Call your loving senators.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

God, just imagine what we could do with 1.6 billion dollars that isn't a political stunt.

E. Billions is a weird number, to recontextualize it we could take that same sum and hand $50,000 USD to every migrant that crosses the border. It would last for 32,000 people.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 27, 2018

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Fortunately, it sounds like Trump might just be too stupid/evil to take Schumer's deal:

https://twitter.com/ericawerner/status/1067525827125014529

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I think last year we were generally fine with a trivial amount of wall funding back when Trump was holding the DREAMers hostage and threatening to deport them, but now that the courts have stopped him, there doesn't seem to be a point to agreeing to the wall. If the government shuts down, Trump will get all the blame.

We will probably get a supreme court ruling on DACA next summer, and if Trump is freed to make good on his threat again, maybe we can revisit the issue.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

CuddleCryptid posted:

God, just imagine what we could do with 1.6 billion dollars that isn't a political stunt.

A politician stunt TO HELP THE OTHER PARTY.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

I just called Tammy Baldwin’s office and told them that I have canvassed for her in the last two elections and if she votes for wall funding I will never campaign for her again. Call your loving senators.

realtalk, what about (instead, hypothetically) funding for immigration judges and refugee placement workers?

con: deportations would speed up
pro: so would acceptances and placements, leading to kids spending less time in camps et al

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I like how Corsi looked at Mueller's pocket aces, face up on the table, and still decided Mueller was bluffing.

Edit: oh this is the slow thread, you guys haven't seen that yet

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Definitely a possibility. Once again what's your alternative plan?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Rigel posted:

I think last year we were generally fine with a trivial amount of wall funding back when Trump was holding the DREAMers hostage and threatening to deport them, but now that the courts have stopped him, there doesn't seem to be a point to agreeing to the wall. If the government shuts down, Trump will get all the blame.

We will probably get a supreme court ruling on DACA next summer, and if Trump is freed to make good on his threat again, maybe we can revisit the issue.

We have the House now. He has to agree with what we want, not the reverse. A year ago we had no real power other than the power of obstreperousness. Now we have real power to set terms.

Mr_Moose
May 4, 2004

Of course he won't negotiate publicly, he'll just privately negotiate with the fake people living in his head.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

We have the House now. He has to agree with what we want, not the reverse. A year ago we had no real power other than the power of obstreperousness. Now we have real power to set terms.

not for this shutdown fight we don't :v:

unless it goes on until the new congress is seated

(although McConnell's unwillingness to blow up the filibuster gives us-read-schumer some actual power)

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

Rigel posted:

I was one of the people who was okay with some symbolic wall funding if it meant practical gains on immigration, but the pathetic impotency of the senate Dems over the past year has changed my attitude. There shouldn't be a nanometer of compromise on this.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
There is no political or policy justification for any democrat voting for 1 dollar of funding for his stupid loving racist wall. In fact there is a mandate, based on the last election, to not vote for it.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

GreyjoyBastard posted:

that's the thing though -- when you know the tide is coming in, it doesn't matter so much that it isn't here yet.

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

I'm not sure you understand what I was saying. If Trump gets a favorable ruling on DACA, then he won't need the house's permission to deport kids into countries where they don't speak the language. He would then have the ability to hold them hostage for wall money.

Right now it doesn't make sense to give him anything while the courts are blocking him, but if Trump has a gun to the head of DREAMers, then things could change, just like we were reluctantly talking ourselves into wasting some money on the wall last year to save DREAMers. (Trump needed Dem votes because there were too many Republicans balking at wasting money on the wall who didn't care about the kids)

Total Party Kill
Aug 25, 2005

GreyjoyBastard posted:

(although McConnell's unwillingness to blow up the filibuster gives us-read-schumer some actual power)

can't wait for several more months of short term extension bills!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Lightning Knight posted:

My senators are Mike Enzi (WY-R) and John Barrasso (WY-R)

:smith:

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

We have the House now.

...In a month and some change.

There is still time to pass wall funding in the lame duck.

E:FB

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

iirc that 1.6b "wall funding" is actually funding to repair and maintain existing fences and is specifically prohibited from being used for "the wall"

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Star Man posted:

:(

Also I was not ok with wall funding as a compromise last year and I’m still not ok with it this year. Democrats capitulating on the wall after winning the House is pissing in the face of everybody who worked to get them elected.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

evilweasel posted:

iirc that 1.6b "wall funding" is actually funding to repair and maintain existing fences and is specifically prohibited from being used for "the wall"

That's not any better

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

evilweasel posted:

yeah, same

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

After that midterm how loving stupid or craven do you have to be to do this?

I'm constantly amazed by the depths these people will stoop to

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

Star Man posted:

No offense but your state is bullshit and that fact that your state and mine both have 2 Senators is even more bullshit. Have a good day.

i am harry
Oct 14, 2003

If I wasn't sure I'd be deported for it I'd be writing a letter to Mr Schumer right now.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lightning Knight posted:

:(

Also I was not ok with wall funding as a compromise last year and I’m still not ok with it this year. Democrats capitulating on the wall after winning the House is pissing in the face of everybody who worked to get them elected.

gently caress its going to happen isn't it

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Mind_Taker posted:

It really depends on what the Democrats get for compromising on that. I mean part of it will be to make sure that government employees and those who depend on government payments and services for survival aren't left hanging out to dry, but he should be securing more in order to justify giving them their symbolic victory.

The problem is that it's Schumer so he'll probably get gently caress all for it.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Help Im Alive posted:

Melania's hell christmases are probably the most likable thing about her

For real. For all the jokes I made about those displays they're legitimately cool looking in that way that'd make you stop and go "What the heck?".

The idea that the first lady is setting up nightmarish trees in the White House that look like someone shaped congealed gore/meat is uh...Not so much comforting. But yeah. Props for the kick rear end goth christmas decorations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

anime was right posted:

half this thread is complicit for nazi-tier crimes. retire. ban yourselves.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

anime was right posted:

anyone who defended manchin itt is a pro-rape pro-nazi piece of poo poo

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)