Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Or "derp-g," if you will

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
Yeah first person, usually make your own characters, depending on the mercy of the developer bullshit dungeon mechanics or instant death mechanics. Not for everyone but I enjoy them. I mostly just want more on the switch since it's what my vita turned into and I Have A Problem.

Lost child is pretty mild on the cruel mechanics, there's some instant death but it's pretty rare and you can build against it. Probably want protection on the main character though, if he dies its instant game over. But you can also just pay in money or the demon XP money to revive before the fight or restart it. Or just go to hell and reload your save.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

:corsair:

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
That's an adventure game, not a dungeon rpg. Please get your archaic old school bullshit games correct. :colbert:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Stanos posted:

That's an adventure game, not a dungeon rpg. Please get your archaic old school bullshit games correct. :colbert:

You take that trash language out of here right now, ya fuckin heathen :argh:

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Is a Dungeon RPG different from a MUD?

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
How about we just call them RPGs and not try to obsessively sub-classify everything?

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

hell why even have the RP part.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Mario is an RPG because you're playing the role of Mario.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BGrifter posted:

How about we just call them RPGs and not try to obsessively sub-classify everything?

RPG is the least useful genre name of all time though.

I like Pokémon so surely I'll enjoy Dark Souls right? After all they're both RPGs!

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Is a Dungeon RPG different from a MUD?

Dungeon RPGs that have multiplayer can be considered MUDs, for example The Shadow of Yserbius

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

American McGay posted:

Mario is an RPG because you're playing the role of Mario.

And you go up levels.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Some of us live in places that are far from everyone else with bad internet and the netcode can make or break a game experience.

sounds like the netcode ain't the problem

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Your Computer posted:

RPG is the least useful genre name of all time though.

I like Pokémon so surely I'll enjoy Dark Souls right? After all they're both RPGs!

Uh, yeah. They’re both good. So if you like good things and not bad things...

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bleck posted:

Yeah, some people should get back to playing hoop and stick and milking cows or whatever.

No netcode is going to magically fix your lovely internet connection in a twitch shooter/fighter

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bleck posted:

I mean, in cases like that I'd say it matters even more to have sane netcode/multiplayer infrastructure. How a game handles it can have a huge impact. I have a fast and stable connection and I can play games like Overwatch just fine with no network issues/latency/etc. but Dark Souls PvP (lol) has never worked properly. The reason? Dark Souls will happily connect me to some player on the other side of the earth peer-to-peer and unless that person has a really great connection things will be terrible.

BGrifter posted:

Uh, yeah. They’re both good. So if you like good things and not bad things...
:hmmyes:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

There are ways to mitigate poor network connection, and there are limitations to what those situations can accomplish.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Anyone ever run into an issue with the right Joy-con not charging properly?

E: Mine seems to be stone dead and I'm not sure what to do

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 22:57 on Nov 27, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My left one did that. It was still under warranty at the time so I mailed it in

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Many of the english speaking countries have sub-par Internet which doesn't help anyone either.

My latency to Yahoo Japan is the same as it is to most of the US east coast from the US west coast. There's a reason they get to stream Switch games.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Thanks for the advice, I doubled down on rocketforce. I tried a little bit of warframe earlier, would I be right in saying it has a feel of Mass Effect 3 multiplayer? I played a lot of that back in the day and had a lot of fun with it.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Kinda? To me it feels more like an amalgam of Destiny and Vanquish.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

It does share a lot of elements of Destiny, which is probably why a lot of people like myself switched to it when Destiny 2 came out and it was poo poo. I really enjoy how customizable it is, and a lot of the stuff you need always feels just in reach. Being able to make weapon/Frame mod loadouts tailored to what I need is so much better than Destiny's terrible random roll carrot-on-a-stick bullshit.

It really makes me smile when I load in Volt Prime, do his 4th ability, and everything in a mile dies in electricity while my party gets overcharged shields in the thousands as a result of it.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
Ok I've missed a few games recently so didn't have much basis for comparison. That said it seems fun and I'm looking forward to playing some more!

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

with all these lesser FPS games dropping, when is Titanfall 2 gonna get that sweet sweet full price switch re-release

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

alf_pogs posted:

with all these lesser FPS games dropping, when is Titanfall 2 gonna get that sweet sweet full price switch re-release

TF2 with gyro aiming oh my

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

alf_pogs posted:

Panic button could make this work.

I love TF2, I wish it would come to switch

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

TF2 with gyro aiming oh my

given how many people are still playing Doom's crappy multiplayer, i seriously think there's a good market for TF2's light-speed hookshoot shennanigans

plus i just want to stomp around in my scorch absolutely wrecking fools

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lol, looks like Spintires is just as un-userfriendly and obtuse as ever. I'll also give the devs kudos for claiming it takes place in the US since it's using the exact same maps as the last one that was set in Russia. It's a really cool game but a huge pain in the arse to figure out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9qnonltEQ

E: Just checked Steam and it turns out the US stuff is DLC there so I guess you get all of it on consoles.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

alf_pogs posted:

Hell, I'd even settle for Borderlands 2.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is a for real good sim game and if you have any interest in sim driving, off-road trucks, or things like truck simulator, you should check it out.

I have it on PC and I might double dip if it reviews well

It’s kind of ironic that this is a big-boy off-roading sim and all I can see when the video plays is “my 5yo would probably go apeshit playing this.”

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Waffle! posted:

I didn't love it on the Vita, but on the Switch with gyro aiming... :getin:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Bongo Bill posted:

There are ways to mitigate poor network connection, and there are limitations to what those situations can accomplish.

What the gently caress is this reasonable, polite, correct post?

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

bushisms.txt posted:

Yes it's the next sega ages. Na version doesn't come until next year. Outrun is my most anticipated racing game in forever, I need it now.

They even put gyro controls in the game.

gently caress YES. Always buy OutRun. Had no idea this was coming to Switch.

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?

Martman posted:

Sorry if this has already been addressed, but wanted to give a heads up to people in my situation: I bought a Switch online for Black Friday, got all excited about the eShop deals, then realized you need to actually have your console and attach it to your Nintendo account in order to buy the digital games. My Switch won't come until around Friday, and the sale ends tomorrow morning.

However, just got informed that Amazon is price matching a ton of the digital versions of the Nintendo games on sale, so I was able to make out just fine. They were missing a few though (and I'm guessing others I didn't check for): I found Snipperclips at Walmart, but haven't been able to find Steamworld Heist, Gorogoa, or Thumper for their sale price.

The games will go on sale again.

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009
So my Switch is now wired via ethernet, what are the chances of playing Smash with Americans and the experience being even remotely tolerable

Edit: I'm in UK, lol

Dr. Cool Aids fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Nov 28, 2018

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sudden Javelin posted:

So my Switch is now wired via ethernet, what are the chances of playing Smash with Americans and the experience being even remotely tolerable

Well I mean, we are Americans

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Hope you like timed matches

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Congratulations!

Waffle! posted:

Borderlands 2 was one of my favorite titles of the PS3 generation, but I don’t think I need it on yet another platform. Especially with Diablo 3 on the Switch filling the need for a grindy loot farming game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Lodin posted:

Lol, looks like Spintires is just as un-userfriendly and obtuse as ever. I'll also give the devs kudos for claiming it takes place in the US since it's using the exact same maps as the last one that was set in Russia. It's a really cool game but a huge pain in the arse to figure out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et9qnonltEQ

E: Just checked Steam and it turns out the US stuff is DLC there so I guess you get all of it on consoles.
Here’s a review (ignore the intro guy in the first 30 seconds), sounds like a solid port:

https://youtu.be/vt13zH1LSX0