Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Because EXCHANGESERVER is too easy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

First off the windows administration team manager went over this “grueling” task of changing production dns servers entries for thousands of Servers across multiple continents. Trying not to be a jerk I asked the obvious question “what is the big challenge to this project?”. His entire bottleneck was performing these actions during outage windows. Okay fair enough, so I asked him how much time he needed to complete the project and the personnel needed etc. His estimates shocked me. Of course when I went over the details of the project he had people RDing into these severs and changing the dns entries.

Wait are they manually entering BIND configs here or something? As you've already replied, is there some reason you can't just powershell this beyond "powershell is scary and hard"?

SyNack Sassimov
May 4, 2006

Let the robot win.
            --Captain James T. Vader

TheFace posted:

11 = number of server, however this was confusing because there weren't 01-10 before this server, this was the new numbering for Exchange 2010 servers at the time because 2007 servers were 01-02

Uh, what the hell are you talking about, this is how you increase security! No one will suspect there aren't 10 more Exchange servers and they'll spend all their time trying to login to #3-9 because those MUST be the super secret Exchange servers with the most important email! SECURITY! :smug:

:suicide:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Wait are they manually entering BIND configs here or something? As you've already replied, is there some reason you can't just powershell this beyond "powershell is scary and hard"?

It appears they have managed the entire windows infrastructure by point and click.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
My favorite host name system was at the service provider that threw in CLLI codes to the hostname. PurposeXX-module-CLLI-state. I loved it so much I adopted it for a national building management company when they did massive network refresh. This bank requires a reference document in order to translate the host names and it's a bit annoying.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Sickening posted:

It appears they have managed the entire windows infrastructure by point and click.

Why else would you put a UI on a server. working as intended imo

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Sickening posted:

I suffer from impostor syndrome a lot but reading posts like these help me with that (and make me sad, because I'm pretty sure they're paid a lot more than me).

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Does anybody have any inspiration for setting up a home working space in a way that can be put away at the end of the day? My sister wants to try and work from home more often but the only suitable room in her apartment is the kitchen/living area which has a large table but not a lot else. A decent chair can be wheeled in easily enough but a quick way to not have to leave a couple of displays set up would be nice - I'm out of ideas.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Neddy Seagoon posted:

This seems like the kind of thing you could do surely do with an automated script.

It is. In fact I just did it about 3 weeks ago. 1100+ windows servers, zero impact. Took 20 minutes to find a script online and tweak it the way I wanted to do it.

edit: If anyone cares I used this as a base and tweaked a few things. https://thinkpowershell.com/change-dns-servers-for-computers-with-static-ip-addresses/

I even setup 3 different versions to take in a txt file, csv (with several options), or an AD query for my teammates. Pretty sure they think I'm a loving wizard or someshit and this is like Powershell 200 level stuff.

Sickening posted:

I consider myself a pretty decent Windows Admin, but know I'm not elite or anything and this makes me cry. If you're open to remote candidates let me know when you post your future job openings. :D

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 27, 2018

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Point and click is basically fine below a couple hundred servers. Nothing like tripling the size of one's environment to make them believe in the gospel of scripting, though.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Point and click is basically fine below a couple hundred servers. Nothing like tripling the size of one's environment to make them believe in the gospel of scripting, though.

If you are able to use Powershell - even if you have just one server. Why not use it?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tab8715 posted:

If you are able to use Powershell - even if you have just one server. Why not use it?

Most Windows admins don't know poo poo about PowerShell. It's really quite sad. I excelled at my old Windows admin job because I could script.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Microsoft were still making new services that didn't support servers without a GUI installed (e.g. Azure Application Proxy - it's fixed now) so I can't blame people with small environments for going to the GUI as a first step rather than trying to use PowerShell and then getting disappointed when they need to do something it doesn't support.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

Microsoft were still making new services that didn't support servers without a GUI installed (e.g. Azure Application Proxy - it's fixed now) so I can't blame people with small environments for going to the GUI as a first step rather than trying to use PowerShell and then getting disappointed when they need to do something it doesn't support.

Using the GUI as a first step is all fine and good. It's still incredibly useful if you're just trying to see something quickly or your looking for some but can't quite remember specifics.

The whole concept or idea of GUI-less Windows Server kind of never really took off outside traditional Windows features. The original intent was security but with just general enhancements, 3rd Party Agents, etc. it wasn't needed especially since most vendors didn't support it either.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I kind of assumed that Server Core was built to allow Office 365 and the Azure SaaS/PaaS service to exist, and that having done the work they might as well just make it a public feature.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

VMware NSX's service deployments for Guest Introspection are garbage. That is all.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oops someone on the team lost 24k worth of drives.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

George H.W. oval office posted:

Oops someone on the team lost 24k worth of drives.

Check the NAS thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2801557

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

CLAM DOWN posted:

Most Windows admins don't know poo poo about PowerShell. It's really quite sad. I excelled at my old Windows admin job because I could script.
This is me. They think I'm a wizard. They ask me a question like "how many users in X department do we have with expired passwords?" and I have them an answer in less than a minute.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I have a question I don't know where to ask, but you goons here are in my field and change jobs often enough to know:

I'm looking to create some kind of blog/clearinghouse for past work of mine, as a publicly visible domain to end up on my resume. What's a TLD that straddles the line between "interesting/memorable" and "conservative enough for HR to not filter my resume before it hits a real person"?

I own [lastname].pizza and have been informed by people whom I respect that it's too far on the wacky side of the line.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I have a question I don't know where to ask, but you goons here are in my field and change jobs often enough to know:

I'm looking to create some kind of blog/clearinghouse for past work of mine, as a publicly visible domain to end up on my resume. What's a TLD that straddles the line between "interesting/memorable" and "conservative enough for HR to not filter my resume before it hits a real person"?

I own [lastname].pizza and have been informed by people whom I respect that it's too far on the wacky side of the line.

Here's a list that you can register with - https://www.godaddy.com/tlds/gtld.aspx?catId=0

.bio?

You didn't really specify what type of work we're talking about here.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I have a .life domain, but I've never done anything with it

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is lastname.me available?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I own [lastname].pizza .

Send me your resume

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tab8715 posted:

Using the GUI as a first step is all fine and good. It's still incredibly useful if you're just trying to see something quickly or your looking for some but can't quite remember specifics.

I just wish they'd continued with the effort to have GUI's that produced and ran PowerShell under the hood. I think ADUC* was the only one that made it into general release. You could click through what you wanted to do, then peak at the powershell it was going to run.

* I think it was ADUC, one of the Active Directory management tools.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Exchange does that - shows you the code at the end. Pretty handy.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Promoting a domain controller does that. I agree that it was cool and good.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

EoRaptor posted:

I just wish they'd continued with the effort to have GUI's that produced and ran PowerShell under the hood. I think ADUC* was the only one that made it into general release. You could click through what you wanted to do, then peak at the powershell it was going to run.

* I think it was ADUC, one of the Active Directory management tools.

ADAC in the RSAT suite does that.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

The Fool posted:

ADAC in the RSAT suite does that.

Yeah, it was probably ADAC then. It's been years since I've touched the GUI tools for AD stuff.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I used to give my helpdesk tech some requests for info about user accounts and other things in our AD to see how they would approach it. They used the GUI 3-4 times before thinking there had to be a better way and learning their way through some basic power shell, and I think it was that moment I was 100% positive I made the right hiring decision. The folder that stores our useful scripts is 3 times as large as it was when I started it (IT did literally no scripting before that).

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

:yeah: that 'show commands' button is great, Aruba controllers have it too

I need to work on my scripting more-- the past year, I've been putting out one fire right after the another and there's no time for process improvements or upgrades in general. I've got an interview next week with a bigger school and the job duties are 'just networking'. I'm in charge all things infrastructure right now, so downsizing the duties list is pretty tempting. 70 minute commute or relocation vs my newly built kickass garage and 10 minutes down a sleepy highway. Hard decisions coming, maybe!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
Echoing the love for any kind of GUI that is a frontend to a CLI and gives you all the commands it's running. That's the right way to do things, especially if it shows the commands changing in real time as you fiddle with things. You get all the advantages of a GUI for one-off weird things and an easy way to start automating things you need to do regularly.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

CLAM DOWN posted:

At my last job, I got a lot of pushback for using PowerShell, they tried to get me to meet them halfway and write batch scripts.

I have moved on and up.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I don't really do much scripting. Non-persistent VDIs have made me lazy in that way. I could do something for user creation, but we're small and don't hire/term very often and most of the work is setting up accounts in 3rd party systems that don't have a scripting interface.

Kashuno posted:

I used to give my helpdesk tech some requests for info about user accounts and other things in our AD to see how they would approach it. They used the GUI 3-4 times before thinking there had to be a better way and learning their way through some basic power shell, and I think it was that moment I was 100% positive I made the right hiring decision. The folder that stores our useful scripts is 3 times as large as it was when I started it (IT did literally no scripting before that).

My helpdesk guy is doing an export of all our Exchange mailboxes to PST. No big deal, maybe a couple hundred. He looked up the command to export them, but even after several times of trying to tell him to use Get-Mailbox with a pipe, he still insisted on doing them one by one.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

DACK FAYDEN posted:

After seeing somebody joke about it in one of these threads I bought bigwetf.art but haven't done anything with it.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Holy poo poo this is amazing and hosed up.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Wwvw5YR

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

That was the clickbaitiest way to post that link :D

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

You won't believe your eyes!

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
'MSPs hate this one weird trick!'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
While the fixed pictures are a lot better they aren’t something I would brag about either.