Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Given how much direction RTD is apparently giving Big Finish on that set, I really wish they could get him to just write the stories himself :shobon:

*the monkey's paw curls as RTD excitedly announces a new series of adventures featuring a young man and his paving stone girlfriend, fighting some particularly gassy Slitheen*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Sydney Bottocks posted:

*the monkey's paw curls as RTD excitedly announces a new series of adventures featuring a young man and his paving stone girlfriend, fighting some particularly gassy Slitheen*

I'd unironically listen to that.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

It's disappointing that the high point of this series has been Alan Cumming hamming it the gently caress up (although he was really good at it), and I hope the next one is better. The rumors say that Chibnall is unhappy with having to churn out a new series every year, so I would be fine with someone else having a go 'cause this ain't working.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Hakkesshu posted:

It's disappointing that the high point of this series has been Alan Cumming hamming it the gently caress up (although he was really good at it), and I hope the next one is better. The rumors say that Chibnall is unhappy with having to churn out a new series every year, so I would be fine with someone else having a go 'cause this ain't working.

lol what did he think was required? That he could just write when he felt like it? Has he not paid attention for the last 13 years?

Also yeah, all for throwing him overboard.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Remember, all of this is based on an interview 5 years ago where he said he wouldn't want to take over Who (Presumably because he was in the midst of Broadchurch and wouldn't want to put that on hold).

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Don't forget it's already been announced that they--meaning both Chibbers and Whitaker--start shooting the twelfth season in January.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hakkesshu posted:

It's disappointing that the high point of this series has been Alan Cumming hamming it the gently caress up (although he was really good at it), and I hope the next one is better.

Demons of the Punjab wasn't the high point? I'll grant, it's a very different kind of high point but I'd say it stands taller than Alan Cummings.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Timby posted:

Don't forget it's already been announced that they--meaning both Chibbers and Whitaker--start shooting the twelfth season in January.

I dunno if it's in line with the rumors as originated, or if it's more a case of "people moving goalposts so as to fit with their Nostradamus-style predictions", but supposedly they'll both be departing at the end of that season.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Demons of the Punjab is probably the "best' episode so far for me, but The Woman Who Fell To Earth is my favorite, and I thought Rosa and The Witchfinders were both strong. Kerblam! I really, really enjoyed until I thought about it for more than 5 minutes (:smith:)

The Ghost Monument, Arachnids in the UK, and The Tsuranga Conundrum have all been perfectly fine episodes, I wouldn't say there has been a bad episode this season. That said, there have definitely been recurring issues of the writing not always being the tightest, some odd editing choices and a tendency to abandon decoys the moment the "twist" is revealed which leaves a lot of (explicitly) unanswered questions. All in all the season has been a winner so far, helped immensely by the tremendous chemistry between the cast, Graham being fantastic, and Jodie Whittaker just absolutely owning the role of the Doctor.

The_Doctor posted:

Someone got a scarf for Christmas, and she’s showing it off at her New Year bash.

Goddamn this rules.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Punjabi was a cool setting but like nothing happened - neither doctor and crew or the aliens even needed to be there at all. Though worst episode has to be the 2nd (monument) - I actually forgot that one was a thing until looking over the episode list now.

Highlight for me was def Rosa.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Avalerion posted:

Punjabi was a cool setting but like nothing happened - neither doctor and crew or the aliens even needed to be there at all. Though worst episode has to be the 2nd (monument) - I actually forgot that one was a thing until looking over the episode list now.

Highlight for me was def Rosa.

A woman got widowed on her wedding day = nothing happened

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cleretic posted:

Demons of the Punjab wasn't the high point? I'll grant, it's a very different kind of high point but I'd say it stands taller than Alan Cummings.

Not for what I want out of Doctor Who, no. It was a good episode, but at the same time a very shallow exploration of that concept and the aliens didn't really bring anything to the table.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

That was the “cool setting”.

It was as if the Rosa episode revealed the time traveler was just there to take an autograph, so the party didn’t need to fix anything.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 13:15 on Nov 27, 2018

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

I like how a consistent theme of the villains of this season is mediocre people either not willing to let go of their status even if it's going to benefit them or manufacturing that status on a falsehood because...douchebags?

Tim Shaw (dental, not Demtel) cheated a hunt he otherwise was gonna fail so he'd be less of a loser. Criminal dude in 'Rosa' wanted to bring anti-black racism back into vogue in his time so he'd be less of a loser. Mr. Bigly, through carelessness borne of short-term economic gains, mixed spiders and toxic waste (the ammonia and bleach of sci-fi) and his priority in the face of mortal danger was to paint himself as blameless as possible. The brother in 'Punjab' killed the intended celebrant of the wedding and had his brother shot, lest he have to entertain the possibility that his ideology was somewhat askew. Becka killed people for show, and in some cases silence, but mostly pageantry so no one would look to her and her I-Am-A-Witch hairstyle as the cause for the witchcraft-like happenings happening (the fact that she was only a minor factor is not a point in her favour).

(Tangent in 3...2...)

And after writing that, I finally get why 'Kerblam!' doesn't fit. I still don't hate it - do I want an 'It's the Kerblam! man!' text alert tone, uh yes - but having the actual underdog be The Dick of the Week does not leave the best aftertaste in the brainmouth regardless of creative universe, let alone this one.

(With Kerblam! itself sending the distress card, it means that this singular fictional corporation is indeed a person - at least in my opinion - but that doesn't extend to real life megacorps, and I do fret that the wrong people might think that it does and double down on their mediocre douchebaggery.)

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

The last few minutes of this episode with battling the Morax seemed really rushed to me. I was honestly expecting a cliffhanger when Bekka transformed.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To me there really hasn't been a 'bad' episode yet. I thought Demons of the Punjab was very good and likely the best of the season. It hit all those emotional notes that I've come to expect.

My least favorite episode is probably the premiere. I felt it was a bit scattered in the way that new Doctor stories are and the characters hadn't come into their own yet so it's not like the performances could rise above a so-so plot.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

It's been a perfectly fine season, but there's definitely a huge change in tone and structure from Moffat's run.

The writing is way more straight forward, for good and for bad. I enjoy having some more self-contained stories, but I miss the twists and turns and mysteries. Nothing really stands out so far, which is something you could never accuse Moffat of.

I still enjoy the show, don't get me wrong. The cast is excellent and we're still miles away from the worst crap of the 10th Doctor, which was the absolute low point of the show for me. But I'd love for it to stand out a bit more, or maybe be a bit weirder and more experimental?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I would definitely describe some episodes as "okay," but the only episode that I think I'd say was "bad" was Kerblam!, despite how enjoyable it was until the big reveal. If you're ranking things solely by "hit or miss," I would actually say that this season has an unusual amount of hits for a season of Doctor Who, third act problems in most of the Chibnall-penned episodes not withstanding.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
I miss the convoluted season arcs.

I don't miss the multi-parters with cliffhanger.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

Maugrim posted:

I miss the convoluted season arcs.

I don't miss the multi-parters with cliffhanger.

My wife is a recent fan of the show (she started on Capaldi's last season and got hooked) and we've been rewatching the 11th Doctor's run. It's been really fun to go through those seasons again, knowing all the twists and turns and how stuff would resolve, and pick up on stuff I didn't catch the first time.

I can fully admit those seasons got a bit messy at times (does anybody really understand just what the heck the Silence are?) but man were the highs good.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face

A Fancy Hat posted:

My wife is a recent fan of the show (she started on Capaldi's last season and got hooked) and we've been rewatching the 11th Doctor's run. It's been really fun to go through those seasons again, knowing all the twists and turns and how stuff would resolve, and pick up on stuff I didn't catch the first time.

I can fully admit those seasons got a bit messy at times (does anybody really understand just what the heck the Silence are?) but man were the highs good.

My wife and I did exactly this just before the current season started, and I agree! I couldn't for the life of me remember the Silence plot origin or resolution (kind of ironic that), only that they were a terrifying and memorable monster.

You find out their origin story right near the end of 11's run.

Maugrim fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Nov 27, 2018

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I dunno, I was pretty personally done with the puzzle box stories and big series arcs. The “fun space adventures with the Doctor and friends” format is a refreshing change of pace for me. I just kinda wish the stories were a bit....better? They’ve been decent, but then again maybe I’m asking too much out of a family show.

I’d give anything for Doctor Who to go full on David Lynch dreamscape weirdness with all the time fuckery the show does.

Doctor: “What year is this?”
*Graham screams into the night as the universe ends*

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

There was tons I disliked about both RTD and Moffat's eras, but what I do miss in this one is the slightly melancholy existentialism that was often apparent in their writing. I get that 13 is generally about unabashed optimism and positivity, though, and I suppose it was time for a change.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012
That was a fun episode but a really basic (and irritating) historical error snuck through - James VI & I was never helped out of some witchcraft bother in Berwick, it was North Berwick which is 40 odd miles North of Berwick (AKA Berwick-on-Tweed, usually shortened to Berwick which is never done with North Berwick).

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Barry Foster posted:

There was tons I disliked about both RTD and Moffat's eras, but what I do miss in this one is the slightly melancholy existentialism that was often apparent in their writing. I get that 13 is generally about unabashed optimism and positivity, though, and I suppose it was time for a change.

11s rant about how he's not running from things, he's running to things, because everything is ephemeral, was one of my favourite moments in his run.

Also Colonel Runaway. That's the kind of viciousness I like, not immortal scarecrows in a black hole.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

That was a fun episode but a really basic (and irritating) historical error snuck through - James VI & I was never helped out of some witchcraft bother in Berwick, it was North Berwick which is 40 odd miles North of Berwick (AKA Berwick-on-Tweed, usually shortened to Berwick which is never done with North Berwick).

You ever think sometimes that maybe a place doesn't need to be saddled with a witchcraft story and it might be more considerate to fudge the detail?

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Strom Cuzewon posted:

11s rant about how he's not running from things, he's running to things, because everything is ephemeral, was one of my favourite moments in his run.

Also Colonel Runaway. That's the kind of viciousness I like, not immortal scarecrows in a black hole.

It's kind of amusing that the most vicious one was the freshest faced, then Capaldi was curmudgeonly but never quite as vengeful despite appearances.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

ewe2 posted:

You ever think sometimes that maybe a place doesn't need to be saddled with a witchcraft story and it might be more considerate to fudge the detail?

Eh wut... What they ended up doing was saddling a completely different but still real place* with a witchcraft story. The trial of the North Berwick witches (actually included local people from other places in East Lothian too) on charges of trying to sink his ship by witchcraft led to James writing his book Daemonologie which was also talked about in the episode.

Also, where on earth do you live that having a witchcraft story that is over 400 years old is a problem for the current population? I went to High School in North Berwick, nobody there is bothered if people are aware of it's actual history.

*Are you maybe confused because the episode was set in a made up place? I'm complaining about James referring in the episode to a previous witch problem, that historically actually happened, where the writer confused Berwick** (most northern town in England) for North Berwick (40 miles north of Berwick and in Scotland).

**If they meant either of the Berwicks in Sussex or Gloucestershire then they really hosed the historical reference up.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It'd be like setting an American witch trial story in Salem Alabama

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

To be fair, James getting the name wrong isn't exactly out-of-character, considering how self-absorbed he is. If it'd been the Doctor doing it, then that would an issue. But I could see James getting his Berwicks mixed up. He might not even realise there's more than one Berwick in his kingdom.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Didn't they specifically say that this was stricken from the history books, largely so King James could save face?

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Yvonmukluk posted:

To be fair, James getting the name wrong isn't exactly out-of-character, considering how self-absorbed he is. If it'd been the Doctor doing it, then that would an issue. But I could see James getting his Berwicks mixed up. He might not even realise there's more than one Berwick in his kingdom.

The North Berwick witches were accused of attempting to kill him, charges included high treason, it would be unlikely he'd forget that (and as previously mentioned it inspired him to write a book about Daemonology and witchcraft that was referenced in the episode too) - it also happened in Scotland while he was king there but before he became the king of England too.

Cleretic posted:

Didn't they specifically say that this was stricken from the history books, largely so King James could save face?

EmptyVessel posted:

*Are you maybe confused because the episode was set in a made up place? I'm complaining about James referring in the episode to a previous witch problem, that historically actually happened, where the writer confused Berwick** (most northern town in England) for North Berwick (40 miles north of Berwick and in Scotland).

**If they meant either of the Berwicks in Sussex or Gloucestershire then they really hosed the historical reference up.

How is an error of historical background to the episode this hard to understand?

Azhais posted:

Thank you, specifically it's like having a witchcraft story set in a fictional American town that refers to "that similar trouble they had in Salem, Alabama".
Should have set Rosa in Montgomery, California...

Zebia
Oct 10, 2012

How's my volume?

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Which episode was this in? I can't recall it.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

^^^^ Power of Three, the weird alien cube one. Lots of cool ideas in that episode - Amy's addiction to traveling, the self destructive nature of companions, a weird lowkey invasion - it just didn't quite pull them off. Also the ending was balls.

BioEnchanted posted:

It's kind of amusing that the most vicious one was the freshest faced, then Capaldi was curmudgeonly but never quite as vengeful despite appearances.

I liked the take of 11 as "an old man in a young man's body" and 12 as "a young man in an old man's body /an old man trying to reclaim his youth" Summed up a lot of their character.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

12 was an angsty, insecure adolescent in an old man's body

Edit - up to and including saying lovely people to be edgy in his early years, before growing out of it

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Azhais posted:

You basically just described "Minuet in Hell," sooo... :shrug:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Tom's final season to be the next Blu-Ray set. Will include K9 & Company.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Is there any pattern to these sets yet? I get pushing Tom’s first season since he’s probably the most recognizable Doctor, but why do his last season next? It’s completely atypical for that Doctor and, honestly, a bit dull.

You’d think they’d do 1st seasons for each Doctor first.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Davros1 posted:

Tom's final season to be the next Blu-Ray set. Will include K9 & Company.

K9 & Company to get a Blu-ray release before anything McCoy. We live in weird times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Is there any pattern to these sets yet? I get pushing Tom’s first season since he’s probably the most recognizable Doctor, but why do his last season next? It’s completely atypical for that Doctor and, honestly, a bit dull.

You’d think they’d do 1st seasons for each Doctor first.

Season 19 is coming out in a few weeks on Blu-ray.

e: "I don't believe in Satan" smashcut to The Satan Pit