Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

shame on an IGA posted:

I wonder if the CHUD retards I work with on the car parts plantation will ever rub enough brain cells together to understand why we found out today we're only working 10 days in the rest of 2018.

Oh no wait :ms:

Do you work at a GM plant in Ohio? Because my GOP senator was just totally shocked that they would close their plant after we gave them all those nice tax cuts.

https://twitter.com/senrobportman/status/1067090231827095552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

That Works posted:

I haven't been to the Museum of the Confederacy in New Orleans since I was a teenager. At the time it seemed really awesome. There was a lot of old battleflags from both sides up in glass cases, old weapons, uniforms and personal effects etc. As a kid the thing that was most impressive were some of the Maine, Massachusetts and far northern state banners that got captured in battles way down in the south. It really hit home how far away these guys were often going to fight.

I kinda want to go back to see if it is some confederate apologism poo poo or not. I hope it isn't, it made a positive impression on me as a kid and put certain elements of the war into a perspective I would not have gotten otherwise.

Would be nice if someone stole those flags and repatriated them to their rightful owners (the victors of the war)

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Nah, tier one components supplier in SC.

Also, who needs r/btc when we can enjoy meltdowns like this right here in the comfort of GBS

ghosTTy posted:

Millennials have entered the prime investment age of their mid 30s and have taken over all other age groups as the dominant force. We have chosen Tech companies and Blockchain as our investment focus because we've been priced out of Real Estate and other industries are boring and dumb, so these will be on a Bull Run for the next 20 years. Gen X got scammed by Boomers into buying their worthless overpriced homes and poorly built condos and now they attack Bitcoin because they're Anal Creampied Hiv Positive Supervirus Retard Nocoiner Cucks who want to convince us Real Estate is the only worthwhile asset so they can pawn it off to us when they want to retire, basically copying the Boomer strat because they were too apathetic to come up with their own scam. (source: old rear end Britgoon who writes Nocoiner propaganda and owns "Real" Estate)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

asymptotically approaching one

shame on an IGA posted:

Also, who needs r/btc when we can enjoy meltdowns like this right here in the comfort of GBS

Jesus. If you're lucky enough to have any money to invest, put it in some company that makes precision ball bearings or something. It's likely to still be there 20 years down the line when you need it to pay for your stress induced heart attack.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

shame on an IGA posted:

https://soundcloud.com/stanley-swanson/ted-talks-anal-creampied-hiv-positive-supervirus-retard-nocoiner-cucks

Someone actually read the post and recorded it.

Oxygenpoisoning
Feb 21, 2006
“Real” estate? Is going to live in his bitcoin? Ride out a storm underneath his mining rig?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

If you want a change from the normal doom and gloom of global warming, NYT has a great article on how insects and greater levels biodiversity are plummeting and we're all hosed because entire ecosystems are slowly collapsing worldwide without anyone noticing it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

was this posted yet

Playing high school football changes the teenage brain
https://news.berkeley.edu/2018/11/15/playing-high-school-football-changes-the-teenage-brain/

I know some of you GIP folks lose it when someone threatens your precious footballs

Make 👏🏽 football 👏🏽 violent 👏🏽 again

This was a weird post

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

sharknado slashfic posted:

This was a weird post
You should really change your name to Skyshark Slashfic.

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Casimir Radon posted:

You should really change your name to Skyshark Slashfic.

Gross. Is CTE/TBI type stuff really a point of contention in a forum full of vets? I generally stick to this thread.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

sharknado slashfic posted:

Gross. Is CTE/TBI type stuff really a point of contention in a forum full of vets? I generally stick to this thread.

No as far as I know from posting here the last N years. Goddamnit, play Rugby.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Maybe I'm mistaken but every time the whole CTE thing with football has come up everyone in this thread has pretty much said "Yep, football is fun but holy poo poo it's dangerous."

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

psydude posted:

Maybe I'm mistaken but every time the whole CTE thing with football has come up everyone in this thread has pretty much said "Yep, football is fun but holy poo poo it's dangerous."
I think it's dumb and should die out.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Four years of working in military TBI research has taught me that if I ever have children they will never under any circumstances play football. Ever.

Unfortunately, up on high from USD(P&R) we've been told to basically put most of our CTE research on ice, because the answers are all bad.

edit: to clarify:

There's three flavors of TBI: mild, moderate, and severe.

Severe are pretty self explanatory, that's where you've brained your damage so badly you're never going to be normal again and your absolute best case is living with limitations. Happens from blasts, happens from penetrating head wounds, happens from severe impacts with or without breaking your skull in the process. You get one of these you're on a plane back to the states and an all-expenses paid trip to the National Intrepid Center of Excellence (NICoE).

Then you've got your moderate, which are the middle of the ground injuries. Happens from blasts or severe impacts. These are ones when you're out of commission for a bit - loss of consciousness greater than 30 minutes, along with alteration of consciousness greater than 24 hours. Recovery varies. Side effects vary. You might fully recover without incident or you might develop chronic posttraumatic headaches or a laundry list of other problems, who the gently caress knows.

And last but certainly not least, you have your mild traumatic brain injury. Loss of consciousness under 30 minutes, alteration of consciousness less than a day. Guess what my friends, these are concussions. You get more than one concussion in a year, you have what is called a Compound mTBI. Things get really kinda fuzzy as to exactly what happens with a compound mTBI, but it's never good. You can start to exhibit problems sometimes associated with moderate TBI, or symptoms that were previously considered acute for mTBI become chronic and long lasting. Headaches, sleep disturbances and mood swings are the most common things that you'll see. It gets more and more ugly the more mTBIs you sustain.

Vasudus fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Nov 28, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
The dudes that are the most anti-kids-playing-football at work are the ones who played football in college.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

If you want a change from the normal doom and gloom of global warming, NYT has a great article on how insects and greater levels biodiversity are plummeting and we're all hosed because entire ecosystems are slowly collapsing worldwide without anyone noticing it.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/27/magazine/insect-apocalypse.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

They narrowly skirt the "oh poo poo, oh poo poo, this is super bad" by saying "no, it just sucks that it's gonna cost $19 billion annually for chinese farmers to hand pollenate their farms"

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
The 2018 National Climate Assessment rather clevelry, in my mind, accounts for nearly all the damage from climate change in terms of things like the almight dollar, rather than talking about losing animals etc, beyond mentioning how losing the animals could hurt the economy. I say clever, because it might be the only possible way to get the GOP to do literally one loving thing about it. And it also seems in large part to point out how cities and states can help unfuck themselves or do civic planning to minimize damage rather than expecting the feds to be able to take the lead. It also goes to great lengths to point out that, even without talking about emissions, an ounce of damage prevention via infrastructure and civic planning is worth a pound of cure.

https://twitter.com/davidschneider/status/1067433184130809859

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Immanentized posted:

They narrowly skirt the "oh poo poo, oh poo poo, this is super bad" by saying "no, it just sucks that it's gonna cost $19 billion annually for chinese farmers to hand pollenate their farms"

This scares me more than rising sea levels. You can engineer your way out of that to a degree by building more levees and relocating people away from coastlines. You can't magically repopulate an entire ecosystem and food chain.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

psydude posted:

When I was younger I remember seeing monarch butterflys all the time and lots of other butterflys. The last 5 or so years I've noticed I will see maybe 1 or 2 monarchs and maybe 5 total butterflys each summer

https://twitter.com/StrangeAnimaIs/status/1007632318977138689

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

psydude posted:

This scares me more than rising sea levels. You can engineer your way out of that to a degree by building more levees and relocating people away from coastlines. You can't magically repopulate an entire ecosystem and food chain.

Yes and no, you can maintain industrialized agriculture via mechanical pollination, but you're going to lose out on huge chunks of a natural ecosystem. The article talks about this by referring to "flagship" or mascot species. What's likely going to happen is massive preservation and re-introduction efforts of a select, charismatic species and a complete loss of things that don't poll well with the general public. Think preservation of the yellowfin tuna, but loss of literally every other species in the wild.

Then, as an over correction, they're gonna try to do something stupid like genetically engineer bees and we're going to end up in a grey goo situation. I demand a new simulation with a better seed post haste.

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

psydude posted:

Teach your kids how to build, not from scratch, but with modern science. Single most important thing. Loads of my mates in environmental science are still trying to get us to change, but I'm not optimistic.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Vasudus posted:

And last but certainly not least, you have your mild traumatic brain injury. Loss of consciousness under 30 minutes, alteration of consciousness less than a day. Guess what my friends, these are concussions.

As a former boxer whose been knocked out for probably less than fifteen minutes total in his life, am I gon' die?

Defenestrategy fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Nov 28, 2018

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Immanentized posted:

I demand a new simulation with a better seed post haste.

:eng101: We changed the seed and the simulation ran very stable for 1,000 times longer than last time.

:) What'd you change?

:eng101: No humans.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Yeah, if Ocean life collapses, very little land based life is going to make it.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Hexyflexy posted:

Teach your kids how to build, not from scratch, but with modern science. Single most important thing. Loads of my mates in environmental science are still trying to get us to change, but I'm not optimistic.

Or, or. You could not have kids. That's my plan

Hexyflexy
Sep 2, 2011

Milo and POTUS posted:

Or, or. You could not have kids. That's my plan

I haven't planned on having any for 20 years.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Defenestrategy posted:

As a former boxer whose been knocked out for probably fifteen minutes total in his life, am I gon' die?

realtalk: you really should be keenly aware of any memory loss issues, uncharacteristic changes in personality over time, chronic headaches, or neuroendocrine disruptions. There's a whole gigantic 'here be dragons' section of neuroscience for people that sustain repeated, small scale head injuries that might not set off any alarms at the time of injury.

Consequently, this is why the military health system is making GBS threads their pants because there's a strong possibility that people who are continually exposed to subconcussive blasts (like say, any gunfire at all but especially 7.62+) might run the risk of developing CTE.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Vasudus posted:

Consequently, this is why the military health system is making GBS threads their pants because there's a strong possibility that people who are continually exposed to subconcussive blasts (like say, any gunfire at all but especially 7.62+) might run the risk of developing CTE.

Gun owners super into heavy caliber stuff and the money to shoot it all the time. It all is starting to make sense. Of course, wouldn't this mean that drat near everyone in WW2 near an HMG or, say, a Bofors crewmember on a Destroyer would be mega headfucked?

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

When the superblight finally kills all the crops we're all equally hosed regardless of borders :cabot:

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!

EBB posted:

When the superblight finally kills all the crops we're all equally hosed regardless of borders :cabot:

then we can finally eat the rich

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
just lol if you arent full prepared to become Trashcan Man or not already mostly Tom Cullen (M-O-O-N) due to brain damage from the army/drugs/alcohol

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

mlmp08 posted:

Gun owners super into heavy caliber stuff and the money to shoot it all the time. It all is starting to make sense. Of course, wouldn't this mean that drat near everyone in WW2 near an HMG or, say, a Bofors crewmember on a Destroyer would be mega headfucked?

Yeah.

Therein lies the problem because not everyone develops symptoms and the ones that do, barring severe cases, can be easily confused with something else. It takes a long time to develop, and things like 'memory loss' or 'headaches' aren't exactly something you can pin down very easily.

We don't know if this exposure can cause it, we don't know how much exposure is necessary, there's no clear roadmap to symptom severity, and we currently have no way of testing for it unless you die and we cut open your skull and have a look. But there's been enough fringe cases that it's making a lot of people very nervous. Mostly from a liability standpoint unfortunately.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
And then you got people like me who didn't get knocked out or skull fracture but had altered state of consciousness for months, memory regression, brain swelling, now have chronic headaches, prostrating migraines, memory problems like holy gently caress and gently caress knows what else.

I did take a really bad hit to the everything though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Vasudus posted:

realtalk: you really should be keenly aware of any memory loss issues, uncharacteristic changes in personality over time, chronic headaches, or neuroendocrine disruptions. There's a whole gigantic 'here be dragons' section of neuroscience for people that sustain repeated, small scale head injuries that might not set off any alarms at the time of injury.

Oh sweet I was a 240 gunner who got knocked out by an IED, had dozens of near misses with rockets/mortars, and played football for 7 years during which I had multiple concussions.

Basically I'm hosed

Jarmak fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Nov 28, 2018

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Jarmak posted:

Oh sweet I was a 240 gunner who got knocked out by and IED, had dozens of near misses with rockets/mortars, and played football for 7 years during which I had multiple concussions.

Basically I'm hosed

:stare:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
More head injury chat: people that sustain head injuries do so because your brain is a soft, squishy organ that is suspended in a fluid. This fluid protects your brain from everyday moving around quite nicely - it's impossible under normal circumstances for a human to injure their brain by like say, spinning around or everyday living. If you hit it hard enough however via external force, the brain will smack into the interior wall of your skull and that causes the injury, which can be as 'simple' as a bruise or a much more serious contusion. This is how closed head injuries work.

This is typically considered a coup-countercoup injury - you get hit in the front, your brain smacks into the back of your skull, and then maybe again in the front if there's enough force. It's also why you can get hit in the front (prefrontal cortex, responsible for higher thought processes like decision making or emotions) but sustain vision problems, because your visual cortex is in the back, and vice versa. Most head injuries are sustained from the front.

You can, however, of course just sustain a powerful enough jolt that the bulk of the injury is at the site of the impact.

Blasts, however, are a different story. Blasts disrupt the everloving gently caress out of your brain because the shockwaves go everywhere. So it can seriously gently caress up your balance not just because of inner ear disruptions, but because your skull turned into a micoscopic paint can shaker for a quarter second. They're sick loving nasty and having sustained two different blast TBIs in under a year, I don't recommend them at all. There's a shitload of research that's been conducted for the last decade or so into blast and we're not necessarily closer to developing better protections against them, but treatment of injuries has gotten considerably better.

Flying_Crab
Apr 12, 2002

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1067595362431569920?s=21

:stare:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Hot Karl Marx posted:

When I was younger I remember seeing monarch butterflys all the time and lots of other butterflys. The last 5 or so years I've noticed I will see maybe 1 or 2 monarchs and maybe 5 total butterflys each summer

https://twitter.com/StrangeAnimaIs/status/1007632318977138689

I see a lot more after planting milkweed.
Lots of swallowtails too, due to having a parsley pot.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Jarmak posted:

Oh sweet I was a 240 gunner who got knocked out by and IED, had dozens of near misses with rockets/mortars, and played football for 7 years during which I had multiple concussions.

Basically I'm hosed

There's VA studies all the time for people just like you. They even pay!

But uh...yeah. You're not necessarily hosed but you really should be vigilant as you get older.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Oh sweet I was a 240 gunner who got knocked out by an IED, had dozens of near misses with rockets/mortars, and played football for 7 years during which I had multiple concussions.

Basically I'm hosed

Guys in high speed units like SEALs and Ranger Battalion (or even infantry) are probably likely to have a background in football and other contact sports (water polo, wrestling). Any clearly indication that it's strictly war and training exposure and not past history that contributes to CTE and other brain injury?