Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

swole sole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Oxxidation posted:

the song that might play when you fight Sans is The Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans, but Megalo IMO is the song that plays when Sans fights you

This is what I've thought for a long time, besides, the song that might play when you fight sans is too much of a banger to be forgotten and replaced by megalovania

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

Oxxidation posted:

also even though the title's a holdover i always thought it noteworthy how it's basically the word megalomania with LOVE shoved in the middle

Oh dang never noticed that, that's kinda cool

I think in general the name is also a reference to this song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1Nmc84Noos

Xad fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 27, 2018

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
the story i heard was that toby tried to recreate that livealive song in the earthbound soundfont for the halloween hack last boss, but couldn't manage to make it sound good, so he just wrote megalovania instead

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
it does end up sounding pretty similar to a song from Brandish, a game very influential on Toby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5teI--xKx4Y

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Danaru posted:

I always liked this theory, especially since the only time you fight Sans is when you're a full genocide player. You might be fighting the final boss in the game, but Sans is the one fighting the 'Final Boss' in the "this is the last chance to defeat evil" sense you see in a normal game

Also semi-related, Song That Might Play When You Fight Sans is somehow even more Megaman X2 than most of the Megaman X2 soundtrack and it's extremely my poo poo :toot:
STMPWYFS uses the Megaman x3 soundfont, so it's no coincidence

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

skaianDestiny posted:

Megalovania doesn't come from Homestuck, though that's its 2nd most well-known use. It comes from Toby's Halloween Hack of Earthbound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIowwZThIXM

Is the Halloween hack any good, by the way? More Toby Fox writing and weirdness sounds like something I'd be into.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Dewgy posted:

Is the Halloween hack any good, by the way? More Toby Fox writing and weirdness sounds like something I'd be into.

from what I've seen it's a lot edgier, in a '00s internet kind of way, though there's some fascinating precursors to stuff that would pop up in toby's later stuff

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
toby himself apparently discourages people from playing it, in the same way you and i would not be tickled at letting strangers read what we wrote in the margins of our high school notebooks

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Oxxidation posted:

toby himself apparently discourages people from playing it, in the same way you and i would not be tickled at letting strangers read what we wrote in the margins of our high school notebooks

Yeah, he basically said something along the lines of it being an edgelord teenage fanfic that confused rampant swearing for good plot and character development.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
GOD
drat

Is peak swearing.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
But what about tier-two swears?

The !%!$ Squad is actual peak swearing.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There's a LP of it on the LP Archive.

https://lparchive.org/Radiations-Halloween-Hack/

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Haifisch posted:

But what about tier-two swears?

The !%!$ Squad is actual peak swearing.

Canon team name imo

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

SirSamVimes posted:

Canon team name imo

:hai: same. What did everyone call it in their head? I started out with "shithead squad" but quickly shortened to "poo poo squad"

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
I also figured it was the poo poo Squad. It's so alliterative!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's definitely poo poo Squad.

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

:hai: same. What did everyone call it in their head? I started out with "shithead squad" but quickly shortened to "poo poo squad"

gently caress Squad.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
That's a TIER THREE swear! Reported

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

definitely gently caress squad

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

poo poo Squad sounds better.

Tetracube
Feb 12, 2014

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I read it as the gently caress squad because I have previously called groups I was in "the gently caress squad"

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Same, it's great: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51uojGcJecA

Probably the darkest ending you can get without killing everyone.

It's been over a year since I played undertale so I may be forgetting but why/how does Alphys disappear in this ending? That is the one character that you can't fight from what I remember.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

DropsySufferer posted:

It's been over a year since I played undertale so I may be forgetting but why/how does Alphys disappear in this ending? That is the one character that you can't fight from what I remember.

she commits suicide

mettaton or undyne dying is more guilt than her already-overburdened self can handle

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

DropsySufferer posted:

It doesn't state that she commits suicide, but other dialogue strongly implies that she's suicidal (Undyne finds Alphys just staring at the abyss in the junkyard, and in the True Lab she mentions worrying that she might not come back because she "might do something cowardly"). With that context, the ending stating she just disappears means that she almost certainly killed herself.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Probably jumps into said abyss.

Alphys has severe self loathing issues and those are only really dealt even remotely in a pacifist playthrough iirc.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

SirSamVimes posted:

It doesn't state that she commits suicide, but other dialogue strongly implies that she's suicidal (Undyne finds Alphys just staring at the abyss in the junkyard, and in the True Lab she mentions worrying that she might not come back because she "might do something cowardly"). With that context, the ending stating she just disappears means that she almost certainly killed herself.

You mentioned Alphys and Undyne meeting, which gives me an excuse to post this gorgeous animation so I'm taking it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQRboZwDrOI

More evidence for Alphys's suicide: There's a special neutral ending you can get if kill less than ten monster and also both Asgore and Mettaton (also, the wiki calls it killing so, yeah, I think that's a confirmation that Mettaton does indeed die if you get his hitpoints down to zero in case anyone was left with any doubt); in it Undyne becomes super depressed because Alphys is gone and claims one of the reasons she's so devastated is because "I couldn't protect her".

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
The other alternative is that Alphys does whatever Gaster did.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

ruin all discussion around around both Undertale and Deltarune? :hmmyes:

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

perhaps

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Fangz posted:

Please, that goopy man has suffered enough already let alone to be stuck alone in the void with no one else but Alphys for all eternity.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Fangz posted:

Nah, people still remember her. She's gone, but not "never existed at all" gone.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Fangz posted:

I mean I suppose it could be this alternative that has not been hinted at in any way or she could have done the thing that the game strongly implied that she was already considering.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean I suppose it could be this alternative that has not been hinted at in any way or she could have done the thing that the game strongly implied that she was already considering.

Gaster Follower 1 posted:

It makes sense why Asgore took so long to hire a new Royal Scientist.
After all, the old one... Doctor Gaster. What an act to follow!
They say he created the Core.
However, his life... was cut short.
One day, he fell into his creation, and...
Will Alphys end up the same way?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
“What does this button do?” - Last recorded words of Dr. [REDACTED], Royal Scientist

Lunar Suite
Jun 5, 2011

If you love a flower which happens to be on a star, it is sweet at night to gaze at the sky. All the stars are a riot of flowers.
The Fault in our Stars posits that

quote:

getting hurt in this world is inevitable, but we do get to choose whom we allow to hurt us

Kris doesn't seem to get that choice, and if that's true, it means none of their relationships are even truly theirs.
That's heartbreaking.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Lunar Suite posted:

Kris doesn't seem to get that choice, and if that's true, it means none of their relationships are even truly theirs.
That's heartbreaking.
We know from genocide that when the character moves by themselves, that is chara/kris taking over briefly.

Kris only took over during scene where they are scared by walking a few steps back, and shielding Susie, so the relation is real.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
they also get visibly ticked off when Monster Teen starts bad-mouthing Susie, fight back tears when reminded of Asriel, and are really reluctant to drop the junk they accrued in the Dark World

and there's definitely a sort-of friendship there with Noelle even if it seems to mostly revolve around benignly tormenting her

Kris is a troubled soul but they do have relationships and feelings thereon without us puppeteering them

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

More evidences to Pie Theory!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You mentioned Alphys and Undyne meeting, which gives me an excuse to post this gorgeous animation so I'm taking it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQRboZwDrOI

This is very good and I can’t believe one person animated it. Alphys sounds and acts exactly like I’d expect. Undyne is ok but the voice acting for Alphys really shines.

Makes me think too that I wouldn’t mind voice acting in Deltarune. I think done correctly it really adds to the characters. I’m not sure Toby Fox would want that though it seems he has a certain style he’s going for that is more retro? But just that short animation shows how much good voice work helps with characterization.