Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

froody guy posted:

And omega time is at 425 plex :golfclap:

:eyepop:
Thank you CCP, that is a very merry Christmas present!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

MisterOblivious posted:

1: I miss when you could just sit around for hours getting drunk and not playing eve while mandozer looked for nerds to drop on
2: in hindsight it wasn't worth his perpetual posting in this thread

man i sure miss that mandozer guy, if only he wasn't such a:

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

This random dude off the top rope

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
Is this game worth starting as a new player?

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Kosani posted:

Sure. I started mid August, and by now I've gone on some 30 fleets and destroyed about 200B in enemy ships. Market trading is also easy which means I'm not even paying for my account with RL money any more.

Join, read the stuff on Gooniversity forums and ask a lot of questions in the in-game little_bees channel.

Everything is very overwhelming at first, but I'd say the two most important things are trying everything a little bit (to figure out which activities you like - various forms of PVP, various forms of PVE, mining, PI, industrial things, market trading etc.) and starting to join fleets as early as possible (so you can figure out what the gently caress is going on in them as early as possible; my first few fleets were spent halfway across the galaxy trying to figure out where my fleet is, would not want that to happen now that I'm able to fly ships that are actually relevant to the fleet comp and don't cost 1M).

lovely tuna snatch fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 26, 2018

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.

lovely tuna snatch posted:

Sure. I started mid August, and by now I've gone on some 30 fleets and destroyed about 200B in enemy ships. Market trading is also easy which means I'm not even paying for my account with RL money any more.

Join, read the stuff on Gooniversity forums and ask a lot of questions in the in-game little_bees channel.

Sounds awesome, if you go free to play does it really gimp the experience?

lovely tuna snatch
Feb 10, 2010

Kosani posted:

Sounds awesome, if you go free to play does it really gimp the experience?

I'd recommend starting off with an Alpha (free) account, it does not gimp anything while you are learning the ropes, because the ships Omega (paid) allows you to fly will at that point be at least a month away in terms of skill training.

With a free account, you can just try out and see if you like it with no money spent on it. The main thing is not to get stuck in the newbie areas after completing the tutorial - it might feel overwhelming but the sooner you join GoonWaffe / Karmafleet and fly over to where we operate, the faster you'll start having fun.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kosani posted:

Absolutely. Don't be intimidated by people with higher SP -- you can only apply so many skills to a given ship, so with focused training you're on par with them in any given hull.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So which of the Black Friday packs from GMG are worth grabbing?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

xilni posted:

The better question is how much money are you willing to spend. You can get the 22$ pack + the 42$ pack and come off with about 14bn isk and 5? month subscription for very reasonable cost

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The better question is how much money are you willing to spend. You can get the 22$ pack + the 42$ pack and come off with about 14bn isk and 5? month subscription for very reasonable cost

Better to cash in the PLEX now for sub time, that's on sale too. It's a double discount.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

xilni posted:

You can't use 2 of the same packs on the same account (so don't buy 2 galaxy packs unless you have 2 accounts)

The meteor pack is the best value is all you care about is sub time. 1 month and some extra plex for $7.50 is the cheapest you can get a sub. Galaxy is also good, but you should hold on to the MCTC and skill extractors because the price for those craters every time these sales happen. Lot of sub time value though if you convert everything.

Star is definitely 3rd place but still better than standard 3 or 6 months subscriptions.

Rutibex posted:

Better to cash in the PLEX now for sub time, that's on sale too. It's a double discount.

gently caress no, can you not do basic math?

2860 is 140 plex short of 6 months for $72.50, while a 6 month sub is $71.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 26, 2018

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

So I can just eat them all now and get lots of cheap plex and not worry about omega time for a while? Sounds good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I used all but three or four skill injectors to suck Amarr/Caldari/Minmatar BC V and Command Ships V out because i dont fly those anymore and for the cost i'd rather fly a Loki around

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Klyith posted:

Sorry, I assumed anyone playing this game would be wealthy enough to be able to start subbing with PLEX after 5 months. It is a bad deal if you are bad at EVE.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Klyith posted:

Not with omega at 425 plex. That's actually 6 mo + 310 plex or roughly 1B isk :engleft:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

froody guy posted:

Not with omega at 425 plex. That's actually 6 mo + 310 plex or roughly 1B isk :engleft:

oh poo poo there's also a discount in game? didn't know that, yeah that changes things. Meteor & Galaxy packs are still good, after that a plex bundle that you just feed into sub time is also real good.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I don't know if it's written somewhere (can't check now) but I assume the omega at 425 plex ends with the other offers too, so whoever buys the plex offer would better convert it right away or tomorrow it may be too late (17hrs left according to CCP site).

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

froody guy posted:

I don't know if it's written somewhere (can't check now) but I assume the omega at 425 plex ends with the other offers too, so whoever buys the plex offer would better convert it right away or tomorrow it may be too late (17hrs left according to CCP site).

Yeah that deal isn't going to last. I bought 2,550 PLEX off the market and cashed it in right away for 6 months, basically getting myself a free month. I was using PLEX anyway month to month, may as well pay up front and get a discount.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug
Hey can all you people who just discovered station trading please stick to outbidding in .01 isk increments? Doing more than that accomplishes nothing except make it so I can't adjust my orders via scroll wheel.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

go for a stroll posted:

Hey can all you people who just discovered station trading please stick to outbidding in .01 isk increments? Doing more than that accomplishes nothing except make it so I can't adjust my orders via scroll wheel.

It wastes your time and breaks down your will to update orders.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

go for a stroll posted:

I don't play EVE anymore, but when people .01 isked me I'd move the price to my floor/ceiling out of spite. Of course I wasn't station trading so much as doing the industry thing.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smiling Demon posted:

I don't play EVE anymore, but when people .01 isked me I'd move the price to my floor/ceiling out of spite. Of course I wasn't station trading so much as doing the industry thing.

I love when this happens. When people do this I just buy it and relist it at the market price.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Rutibex posted:

I love when this happens. When people do this I just buy it and relist it at the market price.

You know that doesn't really work when the other guy is making the stuff? They can just flood the market with more.

go for a stroll
Sep 10, 2003

you'll never make it out alive

Pillbug

Smiling Demon posted:

You know that doesn't really work when the other guy is making the stuff? They can just flood the market with more.

Please don't sell me huge quantities of below-market-priced stuff. Anything but that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Smiling Demon posted:

Well, it obviously depends how deep the discount is. Manufacturing takes time, but customers want their stuff now. Making money on the market is all about having stuff people want when everyone else has run out.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

go for a stroll posted:

Please don't sell me huge quantities of below-market-priced stuff. Anything but that.

The point is, it won't be below-market for long. If an industrialist is doing that they are making a profit from the process. And if people are buying, then more can be dumped.

MaxPowers
Dec 29, 2004
join wholesquid

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rutibex posted:

One of these days, you're buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper.

Help, i'm trapped in a loop

moon demon
Sep 11, 2001

of the moon, of the dream

Dalael posted:

One of these days, you're buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper. So you'll buy and relist, only to find another ton of the same item for cheaper.

please don't give away my trade secrets

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Dalael posted:

I always to a quick sanity check against Jita prices and manufacturing price before making a big purchase like that.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Advisory to those who picked up multiple of those GMG EVE DLC packs - not only can you only buy one of each per GMG account, but you can only redeem one of each pack per *EVE* account. So don't overbuy $25 and $50 packs thinking you can activate them all on one account. At least I've all my accounts on a three month staggered billing structure now - I could keep all three accounts going for $14.95/month.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 27, 2018

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pro-tip for getting past GMGs thing about only one purchase of these packs per account. If you have gmail, they ignore periods. And anything after a + sign. So if GMG lets you get away with it, you can make an account with pubbielord@gmail.com, then another one with pubbie.lord@gmail.com then a 3rd with pub.bie.lord@gmail.com and so on. They all will end up at your pubbielord@gmail.com account.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CainFortea posted:

pro-tip for getting past GMGs thing about only one purchase of these packs per account. If you have gmail, they ignore periods. And anything after a + sign. So if GMG lets you get away with it, you can make an account with pubbielord@gmail.com, then another one with pubbie.lord@gmail.com then a 3rd with pub.bie.lord@gmail.com and so on. They all will end up at your pubbielord@gmail.com account.

This is what I did for my two accounts and it worked great

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
Okay I did A Thing by creating an account, I'm going to play through the tutorial and follow that wiki page now!

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Kosani posted:

Okay I did A Thing by creating an account, I'm going to play through the tutorial and follow that wiki page now!

this makes me happy.

remember: the game is fun because of who you're doing stuff with, not really what you're doing.

xilni
Feb 26, 2014

Kimsemus posted:

this makes me happy.

remember: the game is fun because of who you're doing stuff with, not really what you're doing.

Yes to this point, staying on mumble and talking the poo poo with people can make even mining bearable.

Kosani
Jun 30, 2004
Ni ni.
It seems like the new players experience is sort of on rails with the missions, is that the best way to make isk as a noob?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

No. The best way to make isk as a newbie is to join GF, join various squads and sigs, and mention that you're a newbie.

The amount of isk you can make per unit of time spent playing this game as a newbie is a pitance. Don't bother. Fly free poo poo until you learn from talking to other people when and how to make real isk on your own.

Find something you like doing. Burning out on trying to make isk instead of doing the fun poo poo just means you'll stop playing the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Hell, at this point I'd be a newbie with 203.6m SP. :downs:

They got rid of clone grades and tied it all into Omega, right? So I can die as many times as I want and not lose skills so long as I'm not flying a T3 cruiser?