Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

juggalo baby coffin posted:

the prodeus model someone posted in that tweet reminds me of the more high-res 2.5d games like Witchhaven where it was almost like fighting claymation monsters. i like that style a lot.

also have any good doom tcs/mods come out lately? im way behind on stuff, i saw there was a splatterhouse thing and some type of post apoc thing?

It's been a banner year for Doom TCs, what with The Adventures of Square E2, Rekkr, and Total Chaos also coming out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
I need to try Rekkr again. I couldn't get over the sound effects, but I know it got some updates so maybe it sounds better by now.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm gonna be frank, I opened this tab with the intention of making another Duke Nukem 5 / Half-Life 3 post. Maybe talk about a kickstarter, betting on Duke, and how I would take financial ruin over not playing Half-Life 3. I'll live like an animal, hunted, to play these games. Anyways I really don't have anything else to post about, I do look forward to whatever id does next after Doom Eternal, maybe Quake? Maybe something new? Maybe Duke Nukem 5 or Half-Life 3? Or both? I need to speculate about games and get the hype going, to keep my blood sugar at healthy levels.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
The best thing Gearbox could possibly do with Duke is release that supposed 90% complete version from '01 as is and let the fans finish/update it for modern systems. The best Half-Life related content we're gonna get is Xen next year and Project Borealis in a few more (if they keep their poo poo together and continue making good progress). Valve is....creatively and artistically bankrupt soooo I really don't see another "official" Half Life product ever coming out.

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
There's no way that version was even close to "90% complete", and insiders have stated it was a complete mess of disparate levels at the time Gearbox took over.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

That's a long story, but Gearbox didn't finish the single player portion, the ex-3DR team of Blum etc just kept working on the game. Then they moved into Gearbox's building and finished it, as Triptych. The ol 2001 build on an earlier Unreal engine of yore, thats a different thing. There are conflicting reports on how finished it was, I don't put much stock in it myself.

And that wildcard Randy did answer questions about releasing that stuff, he said it would be complicated because of the previous publisher and licenses etc. It would be fun to see, but

If fans wanted to finish an unfinished DNF build, making maps etc, that's cool, but they might as well just make a new fan game. Called Rip Doogan.

I want official new releases in these franchises with pomp and circumstance.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Maybe People Can Fly will get to make Duke 5. I think they could do well. My outside hope that will never happen is still MachineGames though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: I made this post in the wrong thread, clicked the wrong tab

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Nov 28, 2018

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

DisDisDis posted:

At this level of detail they have this kinda painted miniature look to them that's a lot cooler than Pixel Art imo. If you're gonna go that route give me those Diablo 2/Mars Matrix level pre rendered sprites instead of 3D with a filter.

I'm about 90% sure that it's not a filter. To my eyes that entire game looks like it's made with normal mapped sprites. If you look close, everything's getting billboarded despite having detailed lighting and shading.

Problem is it looks like it's fairly standard PBR shading, and not taking advantage of the low-res chunkiness outside of being rendered at a super low res.

Reminds me a lot of the Wolf3D demo I made in UE4 a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpgq98phkAY

Major difference being they started with high res 3D assets, so the normal mapping's a lot more accurate to the models and a lot less stylized.

Dewgy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Nov 27, 2018

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I have an idea. Get Gaben and Pitchford drunk first so they'll agree to it, and give them this challenge: each has two years to make the next game in the other's series (so Valve gets to make Duke 5, Gearbox gets to make Half-Life 3). If they get a metacritic score of 85% or more, then they win the IP rights to the entire franchise, including previous titles.

If they both fail, nothing changes. If they both succeed, they effectively swap IPs. If one fails while the other passes, then the better group gets both IPs.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Dewgy posted:

I'm about 90% sure that it's not a filter. To my eyes that entire game looks like it's made with normal mapped sprites. If you look close, everything's getting billboarded despite having detailed lighting and shading.

You can get the billboard effect in 3d by chopping out the interpolation between the different aspects in the 3d models but they could be sprites, only way to tell is to see them do something that only a 3d/2d object could do, the gun pickup objects are 3d though.

Have you looked at a full screen shot of the game? There is one hell of a screen door filter on it which you can't see in the little videos. It looks worse than any game I ever played I don't know what old school they're going for, old school portable TV look?

'

The first gen VR headset experience.

Flannelette fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Nov 28, 2018

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Flannelette posted:

You can get the billboard effect in 3d by chopping out the interpolation between the different aspects in the 3d models but they could be sprites, only way to tell is to see them do something that only a 3d/2d object could do, the gun pickup objects are 3d though.

Have you looked at a full screen shot of the game? There is one hell of a screen door filter on it which you can't see in the little videos. It looks worse than any game I ever played I don't know what old school they're going for, old school portable TV look?

'

Wow that’s terrible; it’s like one of those annoying LED billboards you see by some roads now.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Heavy Metal posted:

Called Rip Doogan.

I feel like he should be australian but still voiced by John St Jon doing his best accent.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Flannelette posted:

'

How am I getting motion sickness from a .jpg?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that filter is awful and it's like they actively don't want people to play their game

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That looks like absolute dogshit lol. It looks like Metroid Prime Hunters. What on earth were they trying to do?

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
That looks like a problem I was having with VLC when I was trying to play 1080p videos in fullscreen when my TV was running at 720p and it wasn't resampling properly

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

RyokoTK posted:

That looks like absolute dogshit lol. It looks like Metroid Prime Hunters. What on earth were they trying to do?
We've moved on from nostalgia for CRTs to nostalgia for really lovely old LCDs and overheating graphics cards.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
From the steam store page:

(a less compressed version of the shot above)

At full res the LCD screen door effect looks... okay. But I still will turn it off at the first opportunity.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Flannelette posted:

'

Yeah the full screen effect is complete garbage, but I'm fairly sure those characters are billboarded. In the video you can see certain corpses and debris always turn to face the player.

For example:

Blood splatter near the left and the dude near the camera are almost guaranteed to be sprites. Yeah, the models could be rendering to a billboard, but that seems both unlikely and really inefficient.

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

I found an old dev tweet saying that it's all sprites like Amid Evil (or flat polygons I guess, can unity even do sprites?) and the lack of shadow maps on the enemies and items would support that.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
That filter is so awful that I am seeing red and literally want to tear to pieces and rip asunder my perceived enemies so I guess it is doing its job but god am I angry

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

I think it looks alright but it sure would be cool if they got rid of that HUD you see in every Youtube Brutal Doom video.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

It looks like when you launch a Telltale game for the first time.

HolyKrap
Feb 10, 2008

adfgaofdg
This screenshot makes me want to put on my glasses and I don't even wear glasses

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

HolyKrap posted:

This screenshot makes me want to put on my glasses and I don't even wear glasses

Just move about 1.5 m away from the screen and its fine, simple!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Flannelette posted:

I found an old dev tweet saying that it's all sprites like Amid Evil (or flat polygons I guess, can unity even do sprites?) and the lack of shadow maps on the enemies and items would support that.

:toot: Vindicated!

I also have a massive hard-on for the concept of "old graphics, new rendering tech" so I've kind of developed an eye for it. :haw:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm always amazed at the capability for people to make retro-style games that don't actually look anything like any game that had ever existed.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

This game has been popping up on gamedev reddits for a while and the UI is the worst aspect to me. Besides Republic Commando what old pc shooters had that fake helmet / half circle hud? I know Strafe also did it and it was also ugly there. It makes me feel cramped and awkward. I guess it emulates playing Doom on a lovely computer so you had to reduce the gameplay window and get a big chunky border or something

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

FuzzySlippers posted:

This game has been popping up on gamedev reddits for a while and the UI is the worst aspect to me. Besides Republic Commando what old pc shooters had that fake helmet / half circle hud? I know Strafe also did it and it was also ugly there. It makes me feel cramped and awkward. I guess it emulates playing Doom on a lovely computer so you had to reduce the gameplay window and get a big chunky border or something
I feel like this kind of UI's riffing more on Metroid Prime than any of the games the rest of the game is riffing off. If... that makes sense.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Helmet HUDs own and anyone who disagrees is wrong. :colbert:

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I think FEAR 2 had a helmet HUD and it mostly was awkward because of the limited POV. Combined with some of the default controls it really made the vanilla settings feel like a console game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Meanwhile, the Quake mapping community continues to be unfuckwithable:

https://twitter.com/onetruepurple/status/1067411883899142144

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Guess the power armor in Fallout 4 had kind of a HUD.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?

Lemon-Lime posted:

Helmet HUDs own and anyone who disagrees is wrong. :colbert:

I just want you to know that you have at least one person who agrees with you in this thread, friend.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
FEAR 2's helmet hud was actually a cyber glasses hud, which allowed them the freedom to make it transparent so that it didn't take up too much of the screen.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I don't know why it would ever be implemented, but I'd get a good laugh out of a first person shooter with actual 3D character models that STILL did the billboarding thing. Maybe add in some dragging sound effects as the 3D bodies slide around based on where you're standing.

I think this would work best as some sort of Goldeneye-esque cheat mode, like how DK mode was. Useless, but kind of funny.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Are Goldeneye 64 graphics too ugly to even get the indie retro treatment? Or is that just the next frontier of nostalgia gaming.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

exquisite tea posted:

Are Goldeneye 64 graphics too ugly to even get the indie retro treatment? Or is that just the next frontier of nostalgia gaming.

I think they're too ugly. But I was just referring to the essence behind worthless-but-funny cheats. I'm definitely not nostalgic for blocky, flat-faced, fingerless character models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

exquisite tea posted:

Oh how soon we forget.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUFJlpMspF0