Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
is motorcycling awesome
yes
hell yes
hell loving yes
View Results

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Alpha Phoenix posted:

How can I find some nice roads to ride on near me? Is there some resource for cool paths / roads?

I tried googling "local twisties in my area, looking for fun ride" and boy let me tell you...

1. Just look at google earth for a while.
2. Just go riding and go somewhere you've never driven. Do that often enough and eventually you'll see everything and find cools tuff. Put up a map of your state/region and highlight every road when you get home from a ride.

Where do you live?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

That's what they used to call me.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

captainOrbital posted:

That's what they used to call me.

It's what they call me now actually, the mantle is mine.

Alpha Phoenix, I see you're in the Geneva, IL area. Twisties don't exist in your area. Hwy 47 looks to be as curvy as you'll get.
I think your options are 1.) learn to love riding in the suburbs and 2.) get west out of Geneva and ride in the farming areas. Roads usually get a little curvy and the scenery gets more interesting around rivers, so maybe go dick around the Fox River south of you.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

you're in the Geneva, IL area. Twisties don't exist in your area.

I could have told you that, Cools. Ain't nothing around here but city and suburbs and lake. Some good roads up in southern WI.

This is why I want to buy an R6. Some of the only good roads around here are goddamn tracks.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Twisties don't exist in your area. Hwy 47 looks to be as curvy as you'll get.
I think your options are 1.) learn to love riding in the suburbs and 2.) get west out of Geneva and ride in the farming areas. Roads usually get a little curvy and the scenery gets more interesting around rivers, so maybe go dick around the Fox River south of you.

That's what I kinda figured, I miss CT but I didn't ride when I lived there. I'll poke around Google maps and see if anything looks fun. Maybe I'll trailer it to WI or even the UP one day.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Sagebrush posted:

Getting one of these maps for your state is a good start:

https://www.butlermaps.com/

And if you want to look around yourself and are okay with some hacky open-source stuff, this guy has made a tool that highlights all the twistiest roads anywhere in the country:

http://roadcurvature.com/

All the highways are completely straight where I live :saddowns:

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Maybe this? http://www.motorcycleroads.com

I haven't used it because I have a copy of this: https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Gui...ycling+colorado

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Sagebrush posted:

Getting one of these maps for your state is a good start:

https://www.butlermaps.com/

Thanks for the tip, I just got mine.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Butler Maps are cool af.The dude that makes them lives in my town. Hes very active on advrider too, nice guy.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pokie posted:

Thanks for the tip, I just got mine.

These maps are what that lady in the corner store in Bodega Bay was trying to sell us on a couple of months ago, lol

I like em. I've used mine for a handful of Sierra Nevada camping trips and their recommendations are solid

Blackmjolnir
Mar 30, 2010

Bitchesss

Finished my MSF course and just got my M1, now I’m crawling through craigslist looking for a good starter bike whoo! Found a 2014 ninja 300 in solid shape with low mileage that I’d like to take a look at this weekend:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/d/2014-kawasaki-ninja-300-abs-se/6718623329.html

Does the pricing on that seem reasonable? Reading around online it seems like it might be on the high end, but everything similar on CL in my area is around the same or more so I guess LA just sucks.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Blackmjolnir posted:

Finished my MSF course and just got my M1, now I’m crawling through craigslist looking for a good starter bike whoo! Found a 2014 ninja 300 in solid shape with low mileage that I’d like to take a look at this weekend:
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/lac/mcy/d/2014-kawasaki-ninja-300-abs-se/6718623329.html

Does the pricing on that seem reasonable? Reading around online it seems like it might be on the high end, but everything similar on CL in my area is around the same or more so I guess LA just sucks.

For the wasteland that is CA this is a reasonable price. I would try to bargain him down another 200.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's a little high but yeah, this is California and you can ride year-round so the prices never really drop off, and everything is way too expensive anyway. Getting the ABS model is a good move. That bike is in quite good shape and has very low miles so it shouldn't have any problems. Offer 3000, haggle to 3300, spend the extra 200 bucks on better gear or something, and after that quit keeping track of the costs of motorcycling. I have no idea how much I've spent on bikes over the last 8 years and I'm happier that way :)

aldantefax
Oct 10, 2007

ALWAYS BE MECHFISHIN'
Are there any must-have tools to get started wrenching on a bike? I took the MSF and picked up a 2014 Honda CB500F to start riding with but, uh...I need to replace the handlebars now since I dropped the bike now.

I have the shop manual for my bike and some metric wrenches and allen keys, but I'm picking up a torque wrench based on what the service manual recommends. Dunno what else I should grab, though.

Similar, more embarassing question: what riding clothes are available above a US men's 56 waist and US men's 4XL tops? I was shopping around for gear and found that plus sizes are pretty much leathers only.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

aldantefax posted:

Similar, more embarassing question: what riding clothes are available above a US men's 56 waist and US men's 4XL tops? I was shopping around for gear and found that plus sizes are pretty much leathers only.

A lot more than you think.

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

aldantefax posted:

I have the shop manual for my bike and some metric wrenches and allen keys, but I'm picking up a torque wrench based on what the service manual recommends. Dunno what else I should grab, though.

To follow from this, what torque range on a torque wrench do I buy?

I have no idea frame of reference for torque, and there’s no service manual or Hayes book for my bike.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

The torque wrenches that do around 20-150 ft-lb are the most useful. The smallest bolts on your bike where torque is really important are going to be about 18 to 20, and the largest ones probably no more than 110ish. There will be exceptions outside that range, of course, but they're rare.

Get the clicky kind, not the beam type with the mechanical scale. Those ones do work fine but the clicky ones are a lot easier when you're in some weird position.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Here’s the Haynes manual.

Things you’ll use most often and can be stored on the bike:
-A set of t-handle metric socket wrenches are probably the single most useful set of items and can be gotten fairly inexpensive from Motion Pro or a similar mfr.
-JIS screwdriver
-Utility knife
-Zip ties in 3 sizes from fairly small to a few big beefy fuckers
-channel lock pliers
-needle nose pliers

Less necessary but really nice if you have a garage and wrench often:
-multimeter (some might put this in the abvove category and I wouldn’t argue the point)
-breaker bar
-bike lift
-paddock stand if you don’t have a center stand on the bike
-impact driver
-ball-end hex wrenches on a 3/8” socket drive
-10mm wrench in a few different configurations, i.e., box, crescent, socket, cause them fuckers are everywhere and not all are easy to access
-brake bleeding vacuum pump

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Nov 24, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

aldantefax posted:

Are there any must-have tools to get started wrenching on a bike? I took the MSF and picked up a 2014 Honda CB500F to start riding with but, uh...I need to replace the handlebars now since I dropped the bike now.

I started working on bikes this year so I've had to start building my workshop from scratch and the #1 thing I'd say is important is a good socket set.

For torque wrench I got a half inch drive one for $20 from princess auto which is like canadian harbor freight.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I'll throw in 'wobbly' 1/4, 3/8 extensions. Sometimes (a lot of the time) the bolt you want to undo doesn't quite have a perfectly straight path to it so they often save you a lot of hassle by not having to undo the stuff in the way. U-joints are not a substitute for this, they're basically useless.

They're also extremely useful for doing spark plugs on awkward bikes.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Slowly getting there. Wife has, if not agreed, then at least resigned to the fact that I'll get a bike.
One the local schools has a good reputation and will get you going as long as you have passed the knowledge test and have a pair of motorcycle boots.
Been eyeing up a pair of Falco Ranger boots at the local shop. By no means the cheapest, but I figured it would be a good place to start.

TheMaskedUgly
Sep 21, 2008

Let's play a different game.
E: Moved to the bike gear thread

TheMaskedUgly fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 25, 2018

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

ImplicitAssembler posted:

Slowly getting there. Wife has, if not agreed, then at least resigned to the fact that I'll get a bike.
One the local schools has a good reputation and will get you going as long as you have passed the knowledge test and have a pair of motorcycle boots.
Been eyeing up a pair of Falco Ranger boots at the local shop. By no means the cheapest, but I figured it would be a good place to start.

They have got pretty crappy ankle protection just by the looks of it. I don't think regulars here would endorse any short boot.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

For your first motorcycle lessons good ankle protection also brings good ankle support for when you inevitably put your foot down because you feel like the bike is gonna fall.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

I was talking to a salesman about the bike I'm going to buy in the spring, and he brought up something weird.

He said that if a new (KTM) bike isn't registered, it locks up after 20 miles, and they can only use it for parts.

He didn't dwell on it or anything, he was talking about the features and whatnot, but that stuck out in my head. I couldn't find anything about it with some google searching.
Is that some weird distributor issue that most people don't know about or was it a lie to convince me not to buy used or something.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
No, that's just something that happens to KTMs every once in a while whether they're registered or not.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

I was talking to a salesman about the bike I'm going to buy in the spring, and he brought up something weird.

He said that if a new (KTM) bike isn't registered, it locks up after 20 miles, and they can only use it for parts.

He didn't dwell on it or anything, he was talking about the features and whatnot, but that stuck out in my head. I couldn't find anything about it with some google searching.
Is that some weird distributor issue that most people don't know about or was it a lie to convince me not to buy used or something.

it's 100km iirc, and it's only if your dealership is full of morons (most KTM dealerships are) and don't register the bike as sold

if it's on the secondhand market, then it likely already has 100km on it and has of course been registered with the KTM mothership properly

mewse
May 2, 2006

right arm posted:

it's 100km iirc, and it's only if your dealership is full of morons (most KTM dealerships are) and don't register the bike as sold

if it's on the secondhand market, then it likely already has 100km on it and has of course been registered with the KTM mothership properly

What’s going on there, is the ecu cryptographically locked or something?

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

mewse posted:

What’s going on there, is the ecu cryptographically locked or something?

:shrug:

I just read about it on ADVrider where and old person was complaining about buying from some garbage dealership (not See See KTM :D) and how his bike would not restart after parking it at home. they ended up trailering it and the dealership had to reflash the ecu as they were supposed to in the first place

once again, KTM USA sucks rear end as they always have. it's insane the complete lack of training and direction they give dealerships. when I bought my GSA I was overwhelmed with all the crap they told me about, but after visiting awful dealerships in sublimity and gresham I was blown away by how much better See See was

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

right arm posted:

Ok, thanks!

It just didn't pass the sniff test, since he said it in miles not km and I had never heard of it before.

I'll planning on getting the Duke 390.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Alpha Phoenix posted:

Ok, thanks!

It just didn't pass the sniff test, since he said it in miles not km and I had never heard of it before.

I'll planning on getting the Duke 390.

yeah it ain't the end of the world, and the dealership can fix it, but really I'd just find one not staffed by morons as the less you have to interact with salesmen the better!

and I only said km cause that's how they list their service intervals and all that (1st is @ 1000km or 621mi), but regardless, a duke will be very fun!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Yeeaah that sounds like bullshit to me, I'm meant to believe they're putting GPS trackers on every bike and monitoring where they go...? Doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny. It's vastly more likely that the ADV guy and others just have immobiliser issues (bike immobilisers are about ten years behind cars and just entering the 'massive fiasco' phase of development) and dealers lying/making poo poo up is pretty routine.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Yeeaah that sounds like bullshit to me, I'm meant to believe they're putting GPS trackers on every bike and monitoring where they go...? Doesn't stand up to the slightest scrutiny. It's vastly more likely that the ADV guy and others just have immobiliser issues (bike immobilisers are about ten years behind cars and just entering the 'massive fiasco' phase of development) and dealers lying/making poo poo up is pretty routine.

The ecu could track distance and shut itself off without needing GPS. then a blessed ecu flash from mothership once the bike is purchased by a customer. Very weird but technically feasible

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Slavvy posted:

No GPS involved, it's supposedly an initial ECU flash from the factory that disables the bike (cuts fuel/spark/who knows) after it rolls 100km on the odo. Register the bike's VIN with the mothership = get ECU unlock code, flash it to the bike

edit: it's not just the old cranks on ADVRider having this issue

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Unlocking-KTM-Husq,1330213

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Nov 29, 2018

mewse
May 2, 2006

It’s like DRM but on motorcycles *starts writing a patent*

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

mewse posted:

DRM in vehicles is already a thing. It's a big issue in agriculture - John Deere combines/tractors/etc. have a lot of software-enabled features and you can't fix poo poo when it breaks without having the manufacturer's software (ie unless you're a dealer). Farmers are used to fixing things themselves, not having to call a dealer and wait for a service tech to show up when the combine shits the bed in the middle of a field. There's a small hacker movement based around trading cracked versions of the JD software from Russia/Ukraine so people can fix their own stuff. It's one of the driving forces behind right-to-repair laws being brought up in midwest states in the US.

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/xykkkd/why-american-farmers-are-hacking-their-tractors-with-ukrainian-firmware

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Welp, I learned something today! Also gently caress IT in vehicles forever and ever.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Welp, I learned something today! Also gently caress IT in vehicles forever and ever.

ride on carburetors to survive an EMP :science:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

mewse posted:

Yeah this is absolutely correct. They don't flash them until they're sold, it starts the warranty process, does a bunch of other poo poo too. But it should never be a problem unless your dealership is stocked my morons so it's a constant problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

mewse posted:

ride on carburetors to survive an EMP :science:

Only if you've got points or an CDI, if you have a tci you're still hosed.

Unless an emp destroys capacitors as well in which case it's points/magneto or diesel or nothing at all.