Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

FilthyImp posted:

Street Fighter 2's competitiveness, and later the crazyness of Mortal Kombat / the Capcom fighters, kept thing going.

There was also a dead cat bounce thanks to the likes of DDR and Large Format Experience cabinets (like those dumb snowboarder games and other rhythm games) that rounded put the early 2000s.

Arcades died because by the Saturn/Dreamcast/PS2 generation you could get an arcade quality experience at home.

Having to put up with console games vastly inferior to the arcade was a pretty 90s experience. The early to mid 90s was a time where the console /arcade gap was biggest. It's hard to convey how spectacular games like Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA looked in motion in an arcade after playing low colour, pixelated sprite games at home. For a time, home consoles couldn't even do 3D, let alone fully texture mapped 3D at high res and 60fps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Here's the most 90s thing I could find today: the liner notes of Nirvana's 'Incesticide', which was a sort of cash grab attempt at getting something else out quickly to capitalize on the massive unexpected success of 'Nevermind'. Despite being a mercenary product, it's quite good. Better than most bands' real albums.

Kurt Cobain posted:

A while ago, I found myself in bloody exhaust grease London again with an all-consuming urge to hunt for two rare things: back issues of NME rumored to be secretly hidden in glass casings and submerged in the fry vats of every kebab machine in the U.K. and the very-out-of-print first Raincoats LP.

The NME search was a clever, saucy upstart of an attempt to be, uh, nasty. However, the Lord and Julian Cope himself know how we need, need, need the NME to embrace the unifying hands of our children across this big blue marble and NIRVANA's tarty musical career. So please bless up again - we'll forever feed off of your high-calorie boggy turbinates.

In an attempt to satisfy the second part of my quest, I went to the Rough Trade shop and, of course, found no Raincoats record in the bin. I then asked the woman behind the counter about it and she said "well, it happens that I'm neighbors with Anna (member of The Raincoats) and she works at an antique shop just a few miles from here." So she drew me a map and I started on my way to Anna's.

Sometime later, I arrived at this elfin shop filled with something else I've compulsively searched for over the past few years - really old hosed up marionette-like wood carved dolls (quite a few hundred years old). Lots of them... I've fantasized about finding a ship filled with so many. They wouldn't accept my credit card but the dolls were really way too expensive anyway. Anna was there, however, so I politely introduced myself with a fever-red face and explained the reason for my intrusion. I can remember her mean boss almost setting me on fire with his glares. She said "well, I may have a few lying around so, if I find one, I'll send it to you (very polite, very English)."

I left feeling like a dork, like I had violated her space, like she probably thought my band was tacky.

A few weeks later I received a vinyl copy of that wonderfully classic scripture with a personalized dust sleeve covered with xeroxed lyrics, pictures, and all the members' signatures. There was also a touching letter from Anna. It made me happier than playing in front of thousands of people each night, rock-god idolization from fans, music industry plankton kissing my rear end, and the million dollars I made last year. It was one of the few really important things that I've been blessed with since becoming an untouchable boy genius.

It was as rewarding as touring with Shonen Knife and watching people practically cry with joy at their honesty. It made people happy and it made me happy knowing that I had helped bring them to the U.K.

It was as rewarding as the last Vaselines show in Edinburgh. They reformed just to play with us in their home town, probably having no idea how exciting and flattering it was for us (and how nervous we were to meet them).

It was as rewarding as being asked to support Sonic Youth on two tours, totally being taken under their wing and being showed what dignity really means.

It was as rewarding as the drawings Daniel Johnston sent me, or the Stinky Puffs single from Jad Fair's son, or playing on the same bill as Greg Sage in L.A., or being asked to help produce the next Melvins record, or being on the Wipers' compilation, or Thor from T.K. giving me a signed first edition of Naked Lunch, or making a friend like Stephen Pavlovic - our Australian tour promotor who sent me a Mazzy Stay LP on vinal, or playing "The Money Will Roll RIght In" with Mudhoney, or having the power to insist on bringing Bjorn Again to the Reading Festival, or being able to afford to bring my friend Ian along on tour just to have a good time, or paying Calamity Jane five-thousand dollars to be heckled by twenty thousand macho boys in Argentina, or asking my friends Fits Of Depression to play with us at The Seattle Colliseum, or playing with Poison Idea at a No On Nine benefit in Portland organized by Gus Van Zandt, or being a part of one of L7's pro-choice benefits in L.A., or kissing Chris and Dave on Saturday Night Live just to spite homophobes, or meeting Iggy Pop, or playing with The Breeders, Urge Overkill, The T.V. Personalities, The Jesus Lizard, Hole, Dinosaur Jr., etc.

While all these things were very special, none were half as rewarding as having a baby with a person who is the supreme example of dignity, ethics and honesty. My wife challenges injustice and the reason her character has been so severely attacked is because she chooses not to function the way the white corporate man insists. His rules for women involve her being submissive, quiet, and non-challenging. When she doesn't follow his rules, the threatened man (who, incidentally, owns an army of devoted traitor women) gets scared.

A big "gently caress you" to those of you who have the audacity to claim that I'm so naive and stupid that I would allow myself to be taken advantage of and manipulated.

I don't feel the least bit guilty for commercially exploiting a completely exhausted Rock youth Culture because, at this point in rock history, Punk Rock (while still sacred to some) is, to me,dead and gone. We just wanted to pay tribute to something that helped us to feel as though we had crawled out of the dung heap of conformity. To pay tribute like an Elvis or Jimi Hendrix impersonator in the tradition of a bar band. I'll be the first to admit that we're the 90's version of Cheap Trick or The Knack but the last to admit that it hasn't been rewarding.

At this point I have a request for our fans. If any of you in any way hate homosexuals, people of different color, or women, please do this one favor for us - leave us the gently caress alone! Don't come to our shows and don't buy our records.

Last year, a girl was rapped by two wastes of sperm and eggs while they sang the lyrics to our song "Polly." I have a hard time carrying on knowing there are plankton like that in our audience.

Sorry to be so anally P.C. but that's the way I feel.

Love,

Kurdt (the blond one)

I basically owe my early music tastes to Kurt's compulsive name dropping, growing up in Oklahoma years before the internet. Every thing he wrote like this or interview he gave was like a shopping list for me.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I find Kurt being happy about bringing Shonen Knife to the UK really sweet.

I remember A LOT of nerds in the 90s being super into Shonen Knife, probably for creepy reasons.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

God that second album is terrible. I've never had so many people try to return an album because it was terrible before.

I think the first time I saw Jack Black and Kyle Gas together was Foo Fighters Learn the Fly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VQ_3sBZEm0

More interview memories, Dave Grohl really liked the costume he wore as the woman.

I was really happy to find out that in the Tenacious D movie, Dave Grohl played Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GT9YgDfKU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

There was a Tenacious D tv show on HBO in the 90s. HBO used to be super weird before they got into The Sopranos.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Mu Zeta posted:

There was a Tenacious D tv show on HBO in the 90s. HBO used to be super weird before they got into The Sopranos.

Cable TV wasn't as ubiquitous in the 90's as it is now, so there wasn't much budget or demand for original content. I mean most of the standard cable packages were just sitcom reruns with some movies splashed in. HBO's theme was literally just new releases so you didn't have to drive to the video store.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mu Zeta posted:

Remember when they'd just show episodes of Mr. Bean randomly?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

chitoryu12 posted:

I was really happy to find out that in the Tenacious D movie, Dave Grohl played Satan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9GT9YgDfKU

He was also Satan in their video for Tribute, which is basically just that scene.

I don't think non premium cable channels would ever show premium cable channel stuff. You'd hear about say Dream On but it might as well of been on Mars, as you'll never see it. In the late 90s I think Real Sex used to pop up on late night tv around that time on Canadian Showcase or Bravo cable channels. A very disappointing show, like how many segments can you do on bondage and spanking?

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

twistedmentat posted:

He was also Satan in their video for Tribute, which is basically just that scene.

I don't think non premium cable channels would ever show premium cable channel stuff. You'd hear about say Dream On but it might as well of been on Mars, as you'll never see it. In the late 90s I think Real Sex used to pop up on late night tv around that time on Canadian Showcase or Bravo cable channels. A very disappointing show, like how many segments can you do on bondage and spanking?

Dream On was edited and aired on Fox as well

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Sunday night sex show in Canada with Sue Johannsen.

It was on TV and radio.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cpnG7MVjJI4

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grassy Knowles posted:

Dream On was edited and aired on Fox as well

Oh yea, I remember that, I watched Dream On enough that I always think of Wendie Malick as "the ex wife from Dream on".

wesleywillis posted:

Sunday night sex show in Canada with Sue Johannsen.

It was on TV and radio.

That went on for a long time. It was funny because it was so clinical and educational, it could get away with being really hard core. I remember going to see her live the first year of University as she was a speaker during frosh week.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

apologies if I've posted this before, but every six months or so I have what feels like an absolutely fresh epiphany that this was an idea someone had and it got made and Alan Arkin is in it and everything

I've never seen it, and I actually really liked The Jerky Boys as a dirtbag teenager

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Pastry of the Year posted:

apologies if I've posted this before, but every six months or so I have what feels like an absolutely fresh epiphany that this was an idea someone had and it got made and Alan Arkin is in it and everything

I've never seen it, and I actually really liked The Jerky Boys as a dirtbag teenager

Green Day, Collective Soul, L7 and TOM JONES???? That's a 90s as gently caress soundtrack.

It was funny that Tom Jones became a thing again in pop culture in the 90s again. I guess he kind of did that in the 80s with his Prince Cover. I think it was pretty much because of Fresh Prince that younger people discovered him as more than just something their parents were into.
This video is pretty 90s as hell
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDEn7uUhFc

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp7DhQNhDRI

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

twistedmentat posted:

Green Day, Collective Soul, L7 and TOM JONES???? That's a 90s as gently caress soundtrack.

It was funny that Tom Jones became a thing again in pop culture in the 90s again. I guess he kind of did that in the 80s with his Prince Cover. I think it was pretty much because of Fresh Prince that younger people discovered him as more than just something their parents were into.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqDEn7uUhFc

I've only ever seen that video on Beavis and Butt-head.

The singles off this album were inescapable in 1999:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've only ever seen that video on Beavis and Butt-head.
I wanted to post that Beavis & Butt-Head clip, but unfortunately Viacom seems to have recently purged pretty much all Beavis & Butt-Head content from YouTube again. :saddowns: So instead, here's Tom Jones and The Cardigans covering a Talking Heads song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYuldgIOelY

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
The best mid-90s as gently caress soundtrack I had was for the Kids In The Hall film Brain Candy. The film was an absolute mess though I remember liking it a lot, but the soundtrack is a serious indie time capsule.

Included Matthew Sweet, Pavement, Liz Phair, Tragically Hip, Yo La Tengo, Cibo Matto, Stereolab, They Might Be Giants, Pizzicato Five, and Guided By Voices. Good stuff. I'd probably be still listening to it if I were still regularly listening to music.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Howard Beale posted:

The best mid-90s as gently caress soundtrack I had was for the Kids In The Hall film Brain Candy. The film was an absolute mess though I remember liking it a lot, but the soundtrack is a serious indie time capsule.

Included Matthew Sweet, Pavement, Liz Phair, Tragically Hip, Yo La Tengo, Cibo Matto, Stereolab, They Might Be Giants, Pizzicato Five, and Guided By Voices. Good stuff. I'd probably be still listening to it if I were still regularly listening to music.

I mean the movie is a bunch of sketches slapped together with a framing device based around the drug that makes you happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCieAb-55fU

But yea that Soundtrack is pretty fantastic. Its sort of amazing how me and my friends were obessed with Matthew Sweet in the 90s. One saturday night they played a concert of his on CBC so we sat in my friends car listening to it while eating Timbits.

I was listening to Liz Phair's Supernova the other night and i never realized one of the lyrics is "your lips are like the cherry red rear end of a cherub". That really made me laugh.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Godzilla soundtrack ftw

magikid
Nov 4, 2006
Wielder of the Soup Spoon
I feel like there's a big gap between 90s kids and 90s teenagers. I'm the former and can't read like 75% of this thread.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

ICHIBAHN posted:

Godzilla soundtrack ftw
In the immortal words of Rage Against the Machine: "Godzilla? Pure muthafuckin' filla, get ya eyes off tha real killa"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qXCFYrnD_a0

I have no idea how that song ended up on the soundtrack, but it was pretty great. The best song on the Godzilla OST was Air by Ben Folds Five, though.

DMorbid has a new favorite as of 10:01 on Nov 28, 2018

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

magikid posted:

I feel like there's a big gap between 90s kids and 90s teenagers. I'm the former and can't read like 75% of this thread.

I'm also the former (90s kid, 00s teenager) and this thread is fine.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The Foos song and Diddy song were the best

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like a few leading men of the 70s got this weird second wind in the 90s, where they were up alongside new guys like Mel Gibson and Will Smith for a while before settling into the "will do any work that pays" phase in the 00s; Al Pacino, Gene Hackman, Robert De Niro, Sean Connery, Nick Nolte, Dustin Hoffman etc.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

ICHIBAHN posted:

The Foos song and Diddy song were the best

I'm a big fan of the "remix" of Green Day's Brain Stew. Which is exactly the same except they added Godzilla roaring over it.

Grraarrgghh
Feb 12, 2012

"Bernard, float over here so I can punch you."

twistedmentat posted:

I mean the movie is a bunch of sketches slapped together with a framing device based around the drug that makes you happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCieAb-55fU

It's worth noting that when Brain Candy was made, the Kids were kind of at a creative and internal nadir. It really shows (with the exception of "I'm Gay!" of course).

Very 90s (and 80s) is the new official Kids In The Hall biography, "One Dumb Guy". Pick it up, it's good.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

When you watch "Brain Candy" with the knowledge that Dave Foley wanted nothing to do with it, it's very noticeable how little screen time he has compared to the others. Still, it's worth a watch, for things like McKinney's Lorne Michaels impression.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That and the MST3k movie were always huge wtfs for me.
Like, I was happy the talent and their writers were getting noticed and having their payday, but both were widely against the spirit of being a movie.

Then they greenlit those SNL films (Supastar, Night at the Roxbury to a lesser extent) and I saw how much worse it could be.

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

FilthyImp posted:

Like, I was happy the talent and their writers were getting noticed and having their payday, but both were widely against the spirit of being a movie.

Then they greenlit those SNL films (Supastar, Night at the Roxbury to a lesser extent) and I saw how much worse it could be.

What was the problem with the MST movie? It was basically just a really good episode with slightly nicer sets for the in between bits.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

basically just a really good episode
That might be it there.
Or the tact that the show just radiated an aura of sitting back and chilling. Watching it in a big theatre wasn't the same.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
I just remembered I had this plush Tails toy when I was a kid and carried it around everywhere with me like a security blanket. I remember my mom having to sew parts of it back together

It's much uglier than I remembered

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

The studio could've given a nice big budget to either MST3K or Barb Wire.

They opted for the one with Pamela Anderson.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Grraarrgghh posted:

It's worth noting that when Brain Candy was made, the Kids were kind of at a creative and internal nadir. It really shows (with the exception of "I'm Gay!" of course).

Very 90s (and 80s) is the new official Kids In The Hall biography, "One Dumb Guy". Pick it up, it's good.

A friend of mine had it but I never asked to borrow it. Sadly he passed a few years ago and I doubt his wife still has it.

Dixville posted:

I just remembered I had this plush Tails toy when I was a kid and carried it around everywhere with me like a security blanket. I remember my mom having to sew parts of it back together

It's much uglier than I remembered

I bet you could sell that for soooo much money. If you want your childhood humped by some sonic fan.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

FilthyImp posted:

Night at the Roxbury was good, though, as were the og SNL films, Wayne's World 1 and 2.

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The studio could've given a nice big budget to either MST3K or Barb Wire.

They opted for the one with Pamela Anderson.

My friends and I drove a hundred and fifty miles to see the MST3K movie when it came out. We were the only ones in the theater for the first showing, but we weren't disappointed cause we made a day of it. It was just like hanging out watching an episode of MST3K, only the sets were movie quality and at one point Tom Servo said "poo poo".

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
The studio chose right

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Randaconda posted:

Night at the Roxbury was good, though, as were the og SNL films, Wayne's World 1 and 2.

We don't talk about It's Pat for a reason.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

twistedmentat posted:

A friend of mine had it but I never asked to borrow it. Sadly he passed a few years ago and I doubt his wife still has it.

I bet you could sell that for soooo much money. If you want your childhood humped by some sonic fan.

I do not, also I actually am not sure what happened to it, it may still be at my parents house but I'm not sure!

I was kinda obsessed with sonic games and comics when I was young and I actually remember finding sonic fanfics on the internet some time in the late 90 and being really creeped out by it. They killed my childhood :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Iron Crowned posted:

We don't talk about It's Pat for a reason.

Why did you remind me of that? :randno: