Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It directly led to Clevinger breaking into real and good comics, and Atomic Robo happening, so there’s that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Nuns with Guns posted:

So this is making the rounds...

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1067452621315891200

and I know it's a normal clickbait thing to make a list that's like half correct and half trash so that people get angry and talk about it, but it makes me wonder what the real non-Homestuck influential webcomics are?

Gunshow, Dinosaur Comics, 8-Bit Theater, and Perry Bible Fellowship are glaringly missing. Hell, even Lackadaisy deserves a nod for how much it elevated artistic expectations.

Haha holy poo poo they put Megatokyo on the list? I love that there is basically no justification for it other than "popularized the style". Yeah, the style that was already popularized... By manga and anime. I dare you to point me to one loving decent webcomic that had Megatokyo as an "influence" other than how not to produce content.

Also a reminder that Megatokyo had a Kickstarter for a visual novel game that raised $300,000 four years ago and delivered nothing other than some concept art.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I know Megatokyo is one of the oldest webcomics still going right now, but is it really influential? I feel like maybe Sluggy Freelance if probably more notable in that respect. Laid the grounds for a lot of other gag-a-day webcomics that would eventually spiral into an absurdly complex plot.

rannum posted:

Kelly Turnbull had a short thread about MGDMT and some of the related things going on

https://twitter.com/Coelasquid/status/1067568099908476929

it's kind of rough in spots

It's always nice to get some kind of closure on something that's ended. I kinda expect most sources of internet content will go dry one day after the creator moves on to better pastures. That's the nature of the business. Either it's just a hobby or it's something the creator needs to work somehow to leverage into money. Often whatever project the creator moves onto next will be better, and some people should've tried moving onto something new a long while ago.

It's not like the world "needed" Manly Guys Doing Manly Things, but I sure did like it. Hopefully whatever she moves onto next will have the same qualities that made it good. Some of the best pages were the ones that just had Jared, Jonesy, and Captain Lobster, no video game parodies required.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Haha holy poo poo they put Megatokyo on the list? I love that there is basically no justification for it other than "popularized the style". Yeah, the style that was already popularized... By manga and anime. I dare you to point me to one loving decent webcomic that had Megatokyo as an "influence" other than how not to produce content.

Also a reminder that Megatokyo had a Kickstarter for a visual novel game that raised $300,000 four years ago and delivered nothing other than some concept art.

Megatokyo was really huge for a little while at the dawn of webcomics, before it ran off the saner part of the creative team and then ran itself into the ground. lol about "popularizing" lovely anime drawings on the internet but it was definitely a big entry point.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

I know Megatokyo is one of the oldest webcomics still going right now, but is it really influential?

It might have been in the early 00s. There was kind of a spate of Notice Me, Senpai! imitators that aped its style and/or premise for a little while before people got bored of it because it refused to either loving end or evolve. But yeah it is kind of a footnote all told ironically for how long it's run.

Honestly, I'd put Ctrl-Atl-Del on that list over Megatokyo purely for Loss.jpg alone. One misguided image of four panels and no dialog has had a longer lasting and more profound impact on the internet than anything Fred Gallagher has ever drawn or written.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Megatokyo is insanely bad. As a thirteen-year-old, I got the first three volumes for Christmas. Volume One was hilarious, Volume Two was mediocre, and Volume Three... existed? I went through the whole online archive out of sheer inertia and it only got worse and worse. I can't imagine trying to read it now.

My pet theory at the time was that it was Largo's influence that kept the comic from becoming pure faux-anime wish-fulfillment bullshit, and once he left... well, we got what we got!

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mors Rattus posted:

It directly led to Clevinger breaking into real and good comics, and Atomic Robo happening, so there’s that.

oh i'm not contesting it was important to clevinger, (atomic robo and real science adventures are both good btw)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
People keep talking about "what Megatokyo was like before Largo left."

Largo basically was never there. The period before he left is like fifty strips.

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

Rand Brittain posted:

People keep talking about "what Megatokyo was like before Largo left."

Largo basically was never there. The period before he left is like fifty strips.
but those fifty strips were actually pretty funny to thirteen-year-old me :negative:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Nuns with Guns posted:

So this is making the rounds...

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/1067452621315891200

and I know it's a normal clickbait thing to make a list that's like half correct and half trash so that people get angry and talk about it, but it makes me wonder what the real non-Homestuck influential webcomics are?

Gunshow, Dinosaur Comics, 8-Bit Theater, and Perry Bible Fellowship are glaringly missing. Hell, even Lackadaisy deserves a nod for how much it elevated artistic expectations.

Lackadaisy's good and all, but I wouldn't call it "influential". Besides, for better or for worse, Dresden Codak's on the list for a pretty comic. I mean, it shouldn't be, because it is also a bad comic, but I'd say it is far more well known and people do love those symbolic butts.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Penny Arcade, unfortunately, really does belong there.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

AriadneThread posted:

agree
i'd put it in place of dresden codak, imo

i don't know about 8-bit theatre being a 'most important' did it really leave that big an impact beside being 'the other good sprite comic'?

I'd call 8-bit the only "good" sprite comic :v:

TwoPair posted:

Lackadaisy's good and all, but I wouldn't call it "influential". Besides, for better or for worse, Dresden Codak's on the list for a pretty comic. I mean, it shouldn't be, because it is also a bad comic, but I'd say it is far more well known and people do love those symbolic butts.

I'd say at this point that they're about equally notable in the "pretty, slow-updating webcomic" category. DC started first but spent its first couple years being a humanities-centric XKCD while Lackadaisy started strong right out of the gate, so it has that going for it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I appreciate that nobody's even trying to argue that Homestuck isn't #1.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
bad list

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Elephant Parade posted:

Megatokyo is insanely bad. As a thirteen-year-old, I got the first three volumes for Christmas. Volume One was hilarious, Volume Two was mediocre, and Volume Three... existed? I went through the whole online archive out of sheer inertia and it only got worse and worse. I can't imagine trying to read it now.

My pet theory at the time was that it was Largo's influence that kept the comic from becoming pure faux-anime wish-fulfillment bullshit, and once he left... well, we got what we got!

Megatokyo was really ahead of the curve when it came to distributing print collections of webcomics. It's kind of remarkable how badly the Megatokyo guy squandered so much popularity, to the point where it legitimately shocks me that there are still people who read it in 2018

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Don't think webcomics, Megatokyo basically created the entire OEL Manga genre.

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i am the creator of megatokyo

Crocoswine
Aug 20, 2010

what's up

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

incredible flesh posted:

i am the creator of megatokyo

I’m so sorry.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
webcomics aregood

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
thanks for the kind words, it's been a rough few years, i dropped a coin into my rear end in a top hat for a joke but then i tried to get it out and got sucked into my own anus up to the waist and i've been stuck like that ever since. now i communicate through speech-to-text and fart into my own mouth, they had to install a vent in my stomach to let the farts out

incredible flesh
Oct 6, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
fame is a double-headed sword, as they say

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what is a good webcomic

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tollymain posted:

what is a good webcomic

That one where Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet gently caress while the ship sinks: The Bus That Couldn’t Slow Down.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Tollymain posted:

what is a good webcomic

Kill six billion demons

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what does it mean to be olivia jamesed

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Tollymain posted:

what is a good webcomic

That one QC guest strip Hastings did where Faye's dad offs himself

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

HorseRenoir posted:

Megatokyo was really ahead of the curve when it came to distributing print collections of webcomics. It's kind of remarkable how badly the Megatokyo guy squandered so much popularity, to the point where it legitimately shocks me that there are still people who read it in 2018

I wonder if the fans are still super-defensive, like to the 'you should feel LUCKY he considers updating AT ALL!'

Ah, what am I saying. Of course some of them still are.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

what does it mean to be olivia jamesed
Olivia Jaimes is the new writer/artist of Nancy

To be Olivia Jaimesed is to have your comic taken over by someone who is better at it than you

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Didn't the Penny Arcade guys start a still ongoing convention that ends up donation hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions by now?) worth of stuff to children's hospitals? That alone should probably put them at the top of the list for positive influence regardless of how the comic itself morphed into a blob art dad comic.

OotS isn't on there either and that's the highest grossing webcomic kickstarter.

And while it wasn't really intended by the author, Pictures of Sad Children ought to be up there as a cautionary tale about kickstarting and shipping costs. That ought to count I think.

I hadn't heard of half these comics before I read this list, and I'd never read half the others.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Is Dresden Kodak still "updates when the artist feels like it" a la Megatokyo?

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

I feel like Bob and George is historically important and influential, in that it spawned the entire era and genre of sprite comics.

Thank god that ended.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Galvanik posted:

Didn't the Penny Arcade guys start a still ongoing convention that ends up donation hundreds of thousands of dollars (millions by now?) worth of stuff to children's hospitals? That alone should probably put them at the top of the list for positive influence regardless of how the comic itself morphed into a blob art dad comic.

I'm pretty sure the PAX conventions are for-profit endeavors, but the Child's Play charity is still going strong with $44.5 million raised after 15 years. (I've dealt with Child's Play tangentially through work, they're legit.)

Tollymain posted:

what is a good webcomic

Jerkcity

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

iospace posted:

Is Dresden Kodak still "updates when the artist feels like it" a la Megatokyo?

Seems that way. Dude still gets 4200 a month on Patreon.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Galvanik posted:

PA's side stuff like PAX is all infinitely better than the comic itself. For instance, Strip Search was a legitimately great show that introduced me to Erika Moen and Abby Howard. They really should concentrate on stuff like that (although I know that's all their business partners and not them).

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Dawgstar posted:

Seems that way. Dude still gets 4200 a month on Patreon.

At $4,500 he says he'll do a new comic every other week! How he's not able to do something this while already having a part-time assistant "to handle day-to-day work" I don't know. Looks like the last page went up at the end of August.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Nuns with Guns posted:

At $4,500 he says he'll do a new comic every other week! How he's not able to do something this while already having a part-time assistant "to handle day-to-day work" I don't know. Looks like the last page went up at the end of August.

Is he one of those guys who'll throw out completed art if he decides he's not happy with it?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Dawgstar posted:

Is he one of those guys who'll throw out completed art if he decides he's not happy with it?

Iirc he had a big post a while back that said this was the case, and he had come to realize that behavior was coming from a pretty unhealthy place, so he was working to get help.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

The Lord of Hats posted:

Iirc he had a big post a while back that said this was the case, and he had come to realize that behavior was coming from a pretty unhealthy place, so he was working to get help.

is he also getting help for his unhealthy fascination with sexualized amputees

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
He's struggling with the real bad depression so yeah probably.