Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I think I'm done for all the sale stuff

Valkyria Chronicles 4 $30 (released very recently at $60)
Yakuza Kiwami 2 $35 ($50, recent release)
Horizon Zero Dawn $15, might as well pick it up at this point

Escobarbarian posted:

RDO doesn’t unlock for a few hours so I’m playing part 2 of the Spidey DLC. I seriously hate the combat in this game the more I play parts of it. Like I’m literally on friendly difficulty but I spend every fight spamming down on the d-pad just to get health back

I think... you're doing it very wrong. I really love the combat in the game and I almost never heal. You start with 90% of what you need in terms of basic combat so it's not an unlocks thing.

You can see when attacks are bullets are coming and a lot of the time you can dodge 90% of stuff by just launching whoever you are fighting, comboing them in the air (lots of attacks will now miss you) then do the triangle zip attack back down to the ground. If you're fighting on the ground you can do a lot of bunch a guy and dodge into him so you go between his legs and stuff will miss you when you do that too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing is either I spend literally my entire time pressing circle to dodge and not getting to hit anyone ever or I focus on hitting people and can’t dodge anything and like one bullet takes off a quarter of your health even on the lowest difficulty. I think you underestimate how bad it gets when there are like 10-15 enemies and at least half of them have guns and 2-3 are brutes with miniguns and another 2-3 are people with the sable jetpacks and shields and every single one of them is attacking you at once

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Anora posted:

They already made a PS5witch guys, it was called the Vita, it was good, but unsupported.

Mobile devices mean less graphic intensive games. Thats okay for strategy titles or cartoony games, but is a problem for games trying realism. The niche for a device like that may not exist or be already be occupied by other more vigorous options.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

We shall rename vitamins to vigories

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

@esco: It really is a case of git gud. I don’t mean to be a dick but on normal at the toughest part of the game when the city was full of bad dudes I didn’t even have an issue very often. It might be worth watching some people play and pay attention to what they’re doing. Unfortunately it’s a really hard game to explain to others when they’re not feeling the flow of it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Have you played the second part of the DLC? There are sections that are literally the most overwhelmed I’ve ever been in a video game, and that includes Father Gascoigne

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Escobarbarian posted:

Have you played the second part of the DLC? There are sections that are literally the most overwhelmed I’ve ever been in a video game, and that includes Father Gascoigne

Nah only the main game. I’m waiting on the dlc until it’s on sale/im ready to jump back in. I’ve heard the difficulty is a bit all over in the turf wars one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Oh also this chapter hosed up one of the best characters :(

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I got a little bit high and played Tetris Effect for three hours on journey and on effect modes.

Here is my official review:

The flow state you enter isn't quite Lumines. Bad blocks as always with Tetris interfere with your flow, but getting out of trouble is probably a little more satisfying. If I throw Lumines away and just think about Tetris Effect, then I'm going to say this is nearly a perfect chill out game.

Journey mode can be quite difficult but seeing a new area is amazing. Being ambushed by rapid bricks or given a breather with slow ones gives the game a nice level of uncertainty, but also means you really get to enjoy the graphics and sounds in the slow bits and faster bricks are accompanied by some great, frenetic graphics and music. Hit a Tetris when the game is throwing poo poo at you fast is great, but the zone ability really takes it up a notch and will either get you right out of trouble, or drop you in it thanks to your insatiable greed for more lines. Given my own insatiable greed when it comes to lines, I have undone myself many times in journey mode. I give this mode a good review, but even after hours of play tonight, I still sometimes hit up to spin a break when at a crisis point and panic which sucks.

Effect mode essentially lets you choose a type of game and an area for any mood. You can do fast challenging bricks or relaxing sleepy bricks. I played the city area, water area and an endless chill mode. I have to say, this is probably some of the greatest high or normal brain gaming ever for a player in search of a break from life. The rhythm of the game, while still not Lumines, is near perfect and hits some ASMR level stuff. I was smiling along with the game, enjoying the tunes and being wowed by the transitions between levels and floating whales, etc without stressing about a brick barrage on the other side of a transition. These modes are super, super relaxing and really made me happy to have bought this game.

I give Tetris Effect a big thumbs up and although I don't have PSVR yet, I think it would really come alive inside that baby. Sitting close to my big tv, lights off with headphones on was brilliant too though. The transitions would light up the room as I progressed and that really made them feel extra special.

I hope you purchase and enjoy Tetris Effect as much as I am.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

JBP posted:

I got a little bit high and played Tetris Effect for three hours on journey and on effect modes.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I just finished the Judge Eyes demo. I think it's gonna be really good, with just the right mix of the familiarity of the Yakuza games with new stuff. Also it's finally going to have the same title between Japan and the West, right?

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

JBP posted:

That is my exact experience with Tetris Effect. It’s special. I highly suggest anyone who has even the slightest interest to try it out. Even if that means waiting for a sale to be extra safe. I didn’t care about Tetris before buying it and now I’m absolutely over the moon.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

That is my exact experience with Tetris Effect. It’s special. I highly suggest anyone who has even the slightest interest to try it out. Even if that means waiting for a sale to be extra safe. I didn’t care about Tetris before buying it and now I’m absolutely over the moon.

I don't have VR, so paying $40 for Tetris seems like a bit much. I'l definitely check it out when it drops to $20 though.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BisterdDave posted:

I don't have VR, so paying $40 for Tetris seems like a bit much. I'l definitely check it out when it drops to $20 though.

For what it’s worth even as a VR owner I mostly play in standard mode. There’s definitely $40 worth of game with a level of polish most AAA games wish they had. I’m sure it will hit $20 sometime early next year though.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Also it's finally going to have the same title between Japan and the West, right?

We don't know yet. It was announce for the west as "Project Judge" so I don't think they've locked anything in.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Escobarbarian posted:

The thing is either I spend literally my entire time pressing circle to dodge and not getting to hit anyone ever or I focus on hitting people and can’t dodge anything and like one bullet takes off a quarter of your health even on the lowest difficulty. I think you underestimate how bad it gets when there are like 10-15 enemies and at least half of them have guns and 2-3 are brutes with miniguns and another 2-3 are people with the sable jetpacks and shields and every single one of them is attacking you at once

Honestly the dlc kind of expects you to abuse gadgets.

It may feel like cheating but just keep using all your gadgets and finishers. I like to use finishers on jetpack guys to take them down quick and suspension matrix works on whip guys.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah isn’t the whole point of the DLC focusing on gadgets and giving you gadget challenges?

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
My psvr has been delivered and now i feel like a kid at Christmas

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

Don't forget that you're Spider-Man. Instead of being on the ground, you could always just swing around instead.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

JBP posted:

The flow state you enter isn't quite Lumines. Bad blocks as always with Tetris interfere with your flow, but getting out of trouble is probably a little more satisfying. If I throw Lumines away and just think about Tetris Effect, then I'm going to say this is nearly a perfect chill out game.

Journey mode can be quite difficult but seeing a new area is amazing. Being ambushed by rapid bricks or given a breather with slow ones gives the game a nice level of uncertainty, but also means you really get to enjoy the graphics and sounds in the slow bits and faster bricks are accompanied by some great, frenetic graphics and music. Hit a Tetris when the game is throwing poo poo at you fast is great, but the zone ability really takes it up a notch and will either get you right out of trouble, or drop you in it thanks to your insatiable greed for more lines. Given my own insatiable greed when it comes to lines, I have undone myself many times in journey mode. I give this mode a good review, but even after hours of play tonight, I still sometimes hit up to spin a break when at a crisis point and panic which sucks.

Effect mode essentially lets you choose a type of game and an area for any mood. You can do fast challenging bricks or relaxing sleepy bricks. I played the city area, water area and an endless chill mode. I have to say, this is probably some of the greatest high or normal brain gaming ever for a player in search of a break from life. The rhythm of the game, while still not Lumines, is near perfect and hits some ASMR level stuff. I was smiling along with the game, enjoying the tunes and being wowed by the transitions between levels and floating whales, etc without stressing about a brick barrage on the other side of a transition. These modes are super, super relaxing and really made me happy to have bought this game.

I give Tetris Effect a big thumbs up and although I don't have PSVR yet, I think it would really come alive inside that baby. Sitting close to my big tv, lights off with headphones on was brilliant too though. The transitions would light up the room as I progressed and that really made them feel extra special.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm with you two, it's a really special game and those going "but it's just Tetris" are idiot fuckers. It's THE Tetris...

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Tetris Effect seems cool but I currently do not have a very good sound setup for my PS4 and would rather hold off until I do.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007
Mamma Mia, my hands are huge!

Tetris Effect arrived from Germany, I had high expectations but it has surpassed them completely.

The number of game modes gives me everything I need out of it, including a chilled mode where you can play through a bunch of stages but the speed stays the same, which I've wanted for a while.

Journey mode is excellent, the ebb and flow of the drop speed really gives the game a great feel.

Visuals and sounds are fantastic, with headphones on it's a real treat.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I mean if I was gonna be critical I’d say that it literally is just Tetris with some particle effects around the edges but clearly that is exactly what some people want!

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I mean if I was gonna be critical I’d say that it literally is just Tetris with some particle effects around the edges but clearly that is exactly what some people want!

100%

Until now I still had my NES and OSSC connected permanently just for NES Tetris, but Effect is so good and you can play it old school by turning off the extra features, or use the new stuff and modes if you want.

Glad that finally there's a modern Tetris I can get on with.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I played some Tetris on our old NES not too long ago and the input lag in that game is atrocious by any modern standard. The skill level of Tetris grandmasters who play on an OG Nintendo must be unreal.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

I played some Tetris on our old NES not too long ago and the input lag in that game is atrocious by any modern standard. The skill level of Tetris grandmasters who play on an OG Nintendo must be unreal.

Were you playing on a CRT?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No, which I suppose contributed to further latency but I can say it couldn't have been that great to begin with.

BigHandsVince
Mar 30, 2007

exquisite tea posted:

What were you using to get the image on to your TV (if it wasn't CRT).

Very little difference between my PVM CRT and OSSC + Projector (~1 Frame), but the input lag on a lot of modern TV's (if you don't use Game mode) can be 5-6 frames which is no good.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wow 5-6 frames :eyepop: I had no idea!

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

exquisite tea posted:

No, which I suppose contributed to further latency but I can say it couldn't have been that great to begin with.

I guess we are talking about a version of the game which didn't have a 2-player mode, so anything's possible.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I wish I had bought RDR2 physical so I could get some money back for it. Despite being a very impressive sim-world to walk around in there's just not that much to do that's actually fun. I stopped playing a couple weeks ago, thinking I'd just be taking a break to play some Spyro, but I really have no urge at all to go back to it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i pulled the plug on Spyro last night, the second game was just that awful

i got past Gulp, who was tougher than some Bloodborne bosses because of the camera, and then found myself staring down another half-dozen roundabout stages with lovely mascot characters and tedious minigames everywhere

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Remember people only say those games are good because they didn’t have Mario

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Oxxidation posted:

i got past Gulp, who was tougher than some Bloodborne bosses because of the camera, and then found myself staring down another half-dozen roundabout stages with lovely mascot characters and tedious minigames everywhere

Did you not know what you were getting yourself into?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Oxxidation posted:

Look at this bad, bad opinion.

Also, Gulp is hella easy. That game is made for children, son.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

PantsBandit posted:

I wish I had bought RDR2 physical so I could get some money back for it. Despite being a very impressive sim-world to walk around in there's just not that much to do that's actually fun. I stopped playing a couple weeks ago, thinking I'd just be taking a break to play some Spyro, but I really have no urge at all to go back to it.

Same, I've sold a bunch of ps4 games this month and it feels so cathartic to know ill never play more blops or Dragon quest and to get back some money rather than have them wallow in my collection. Ill always have that rdr2 icon to remind me not to buy into videogame hype on release day again though. gently caress digital

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

100 gigatross.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Oxxidation posted:

Lmao @ this bad opinion.

The game was made to be played and beaten by 8 year olds.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Rinkles posted:

Did you not know what you were getting yourself into?

the first game was as great as i remembered! unfortunately i never played the other two as a kid and wasn't aware that the series got the Donkey Kong 64 treatment after its debut

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
The second spyro is by far the weakest out of the three, mainly because it inlcudes the least content out of all of them (fewest worlds). It's by no means bad because of the actual gameplay, though.

I remember 11 year old me being quite bummed out when I beat Spyro 2 and thought "drat, that was pretty short". I told my Mom I beat the game, and she told me not to tell my little brothers I beat it because "We just got it!".