Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

from these very forums. a story in five parts

quote:

So I bought some TSLA shares when they went for 372 dollars a piece cause that's just how I roll. Should I sell at loss now or wait for years until they hopefully reach 400+ so I will break even after inflation is counted in? I do not have any debt and can afford to lose this investment. I just think it would perhaps be better to invest this elsewhere.

quote:

So, uh, you do not think this is the case of good old "buy high sell low"? I suspect I may be doing an emotional decision with this while trying to convince myself it's a rational one.

quote:

Thank you guys. Does your advice change if the "other investment" are bitcoins? For perspective, for every dollar I invested into stocks I put another 17 into coins and another 4 into p2p lending platforms. In fact TSLA is the only stock I have.

Forgive me if its uncouth to discuss other investment avenues in this thread.

quote:

My entry point into coins was one month ago, 1.7% of my total net worth. Bought mostly BTC and XMR. Im not concerned at all with the recent slump, in fact I plan to quadruple my initial once the price reaches 2000USD per BTC or at the start of March, whatever comes first.

This is not my first time in the coin game. I entered in January 2017 and exited in March 2017 with 50% profits, only the amount I invested was quite low.

You guys gave solid input until I mentioned coins. How about we go back to that? Whats the general consensus on the state of market? Is this recession, or just a correction?

quote:

I think big part of Tesla's valuation comes from Tesla being battery manufacturer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Lol. TSLA and bitcoins, like wine and cheese, go down smooth together.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

divabot posted:

this got a section in THE BOOK

the guy is Steve Early, he ran a string of pubs (I think he's sold them now). he's also a computer scientist, so he knows precisely how bitcoin actually works

he started accepting bitcoins in mid-2013 - zero conf, cos it's a pub so whoever buys the beer/food is right there for the 10 min confirmation time

he did ... pretty ok with it? basically if every transaction had turned out bogus, he'd still be ahead on publicity

he gave it up in 2017 because transactions were so slow, unreliable and expensive that bitcoin was literally unusable even for the few merchants who managed to do okay out of it

he's also the reason the book has a footnote about the definition of "merkle tree", because of course bitcoiners use their own slightly wrong made-up definition, not the proper one

The Brewdog pub by Shoreditch station accepted Bitcoins when I was in there a couple of years ago. The awful hipster confluence of Brewdog and Shoreditch almost guaranteed that to be so. I paid for my (overpriced) pint in filthy fiat and watched a tramp on the other side of the road drop his trousers and defecate right outside a shuttered shop front.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

That's why they will have a little holding pen you sit in while the transaction processes, and it opens once it's cleared.

we should just have city holding pens for coiners

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Tashilicious posted:

It was a good book. When's the sequel?

probably a book of funny dumb ICO scams, hopefully in (waves finger in air) 6 months

i was desperate to write a followup in the past year, but obviously just covering the past year properly would be a massive endeavour

then it occurred to me a few weeks ago that i'd written up a zillion stupid ICOs on my blog

so that's base material for "World's Worst Blockchain ICOs: 25 silly schemes from the world of cryptocurrency and Initial Coin Offerings" (note keyword-stuffed title and subtitle)

so i have to write up (1) the most popular ones (Telegram, EOS, Dentacoin) (2) write up the regulatory environment (3) trace the super-early history of the term (ICOs used to be offerings of new altcoins)

cover ideas welcomed, tho nothing based on goatse thx

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Can you include bananacoin and the one idiot child who wanted to blockchain currencies across video games?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

ilmucche posted:

Can you include bananacoin and the one idiot child who wanted to blockchain currencies across video games?

if i get to 'em, gotta huge list. bananacoin's on it. what was that second one?

i just keep discovering new wrinkles in how to be incredibly shonky. here's last night's - established real company (of copyright trolls) does an ICO ... and the money goes to a shell company of a similar name, in a different jurisdiction, with no corporate links whatsoever to the "real" company

amazingly enough, the retail investors they sucked into this are suing

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope Namecoin gets a mention since it was one of the first and had a stupid built-in use case.

divabot posted:

Garbage cans full of coins.

Alan G
Dec 27, 2003

super sweet best pal posted:

Garbage cans full of coins.
Garbage cans full of IOUs for coins

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
What if microtransactions, but on the blockchain?

https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/c...stration-2018-4

I found it with the depressing Google search "child blockchain video game coin"

Toys For Ass Bum
Feb 1, 2015

divabot posted:

Superrodan
Nov 27, 2007
If you can afford an illustrated cover, then maybe a line of people about to jump into water with cinderblocks attached to their legs via chains.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Superrodan posted:

If you can afford an illustrated cover, then maybe a line of people about to jump into water with cinderblocks attached to their legs via chains.

4 Bitcoins on the edge of a cliff

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

divabot posted:

he's also a computer scientist, so he knows precisely how bitcoin actually works

That causality claim doesn’t match my experience with computer scientists and bitcoin.

Andy Dufresne
Aug 4, 2010

The only good race pace is suicide pace, and today looks like a good day to die
The idea that people with CS degrees are attracted to Bitcoin more than the general population doesn't match my experience. We don't have a single coiner in the software company I work for, for instance.

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Andy Dufresne posted:

The idea that people with CS degrees are attracted to Bitcoin more than the general population doesn't match my experience. We don't have a single coiner in the software company I work for, for instance.

A few years ago it was definitely attracting people who considered themselves tech savvy, whether or not their opinion of themselves was justified.

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

divabot posted:

"World's Worst Blockchain ICOs: 25 silly schemes from the world of cryptocurrency and Initial Coin Offerings"

this is a good clickbait listicle title, you're getting better at this after hawking your blog everyday in this thread and the amber forum

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
It worked; I bought his book and it was good!

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

ilmucche posted:

What if microtransactions, but on the blockchain?

https://www.businessinsider.fr/us/c...stration-2018-4

I found it with the depressing Google search "child blockchain video game coin"

Tbh it's probably a smart move for that kid to not carry fiat money for the next few years.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Alan G posted:

Garbage cans full of IOUs for coins

<- except make it "Your ICO"

they can do animated gifs on book covers now right?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

Ad by Khad posted:

this is a good clickbait listicle title, you're getting better at this after hawking your blog everyday in this thread and the amber forum

The whole bitcoin history is an amazing look at economics and psychology and misinformation with literally years worth of laffs, and anyone that's able to put in the effort to condense the saga into a book that common people can understand deserves to have some filthy fiat

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.

Sentient Data posted:

The whole bitcoin history is an amazing look at economics and psychology and misinformation with literally years worth of laffs, and anyone that's able to put in the effort to condense the saga into a book that common people can understand deserves to have some filthy fiat

about time somebody made money on bitcoin

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Tether printed $50 million the other day, right?
BTC price is going up up up.

Tacky-Ass Rococco
Sep 7, 2010

by R. Guyovich

ilmucche posted:

Can you include bananacoin

Ring ring ring ring ring ring ring, bananacoin

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005
pomp eet

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Now moon, because of capitulation?

LordArgh
Mar 17, 2009

Nap Ghost
number go up

Harveygod
Jan 4, 2014

YEEAAH HEH HEH HEEEHH

YOU KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN

THIS TRASH WAR AIN'T GONNA SOLVE ITSELF YA KNOW
number goop

wide stance
Jan 28, 2011

If there's more than one way to do a job, and one of those ways will result in disaster, then he will do it that way.
Number go up but still nowhere near what I locked mine in at. I can redeem it Any.Time.I.Want :smug:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Andy Dufresne posted:

It's probably people pursuing a CS degree

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
This spontaneous rise is pissing me off.

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
It's all fake :shh:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

moolchaba posted:

This spontaneous rise is pissing me off.

Nothing spontaneous about it. Check bitfinex buy orders.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Fried Watermelon posted:

It's probably people pursuing a CS degree
My experiences reading about CS students supports this claim. They're insufferable.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So if bitcoin is bought with fake money and the price goes up because of fake money, that isn’t fraud?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
So they are creating fake money and exchanging it for btc which can be sold for real money. While doing so it drives up the value of btc which makes the crooks more money.

These people are geniuses.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Sickening posted:

So they are creating fake money and exchanging it for btc which can be sold for real money. While doing so it drives up the value of btc which makes the crooks more money.

These people are geniuses.

No. They are scumbags.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

people selling their bitcoin for tether... trusting an offshore centralized bank more than a decentralized audited stablecoin like Dai :pwn:

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Dentacoin is the only coin you should trust.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Lambert posted:

Dentacoin is the only coin you should trust.
Is that the one you mine by brushing your teeth?