Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What are you thankful for?
This poll is closed.
Video games (sincere) 44 10.89%
Video games (ironic) 14 3.47%
Video games (the mod) 74 18.32%
Video games (but only for my platform of choice) 10 2.48%
Video games (but only the one game I play) 13 3.22%
Video games (but only the ones I played as a kid) 17 4.21%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (sincere) 38 9.41%
Family, friends, your job, the forum (ironic) 14 3.47%
Bowsette 117 28.96%
That this Bowsette meme seems to be dying 63 15.59%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i always considered the portable zelda games as kind of being in a separate category by virtue of being portable games and therefore not having the same amount of resources at their disposal as a full-fledged mainline console release but maybe that's old man thinking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

Sakurazuka posted:

The only one I'll say is bad is Spirit Tracks

I don't like MM, BotW or the NES games though.

p good selection. zelda's not a train. mm is bad. botw is a good nintendo open world game, bad zelda game.

zelda 2 is great, tho.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I mean the consensus of diehard Zelda fans are that none of the Zelda games are bad and all of them are GOTYs excepting dumb poo poo like the CDi ones or whatever.

the opposite of final fantasy fans where they are all bad

Sakurazuka posted:

I don't like MM, BotW or the NES games though.

BotW was a huge disappointment to me, especially after how hyped up it was. It just feels like a slightly more boring skyrim and didn't have as much of the cool Zelda poo poo I'm used to Zelda having.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

it's more like the one mainline game in the series you're guaranteed to forget if you try to name them all

I'd remember it before phantom hourglass every time

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the main problem with BOTW is that the dungeons suck

that's the biggest problem with puzzle dungeons, puzzles can be cool but they also inherently hurt the replay value of your game because unless they're randomized, you can't "unfind" solutions

other than that, I really liked "Zelda without all the bullshit"

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Cowcaster posted:

i always considered the portable zelda games as kind of being in a separate category by virtue of being portable games and therefore not having the same amount of resources at their disposal as a full-fledged mainline console release but maybe that's old man thinking

Yeah the handheld ones are much better

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

I would probably compartmentalize them if it was just the DS games, but then Link's Awakening, Minish Cap, and Link Between World's are all fantastic and it's just the DS games that I don't like even a little bit.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

and as we can see, there is no consensus on Zelda games

(aside from Spirit Tracks being awful)

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Doorknob Slobber posted:

the opposite of final fantasy fans where they are all bad

yeah, I love the weird Final Fantasy diehard habit of stanning really, really hard for one FF game and claiming the rest are trash lol

(I liked FF8)

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

tons of zelda fans do the same thing. before botw came out there was a fairly vocal circle saying Z1 was the only good one and lttp was the beginning of the end

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

to put it another way i had skyward sword pegged as the sonic 2006 of zelda but as i think we established in this very thread there's one poster who's even willing to go to bat for that, so,

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Motto posted:

tons of zelda fans do the same thing. before botw came out there was a fairly vocal circle saying Z1 was the only good one and lttp was the beginning of the end

It was all downhill after the CD-i games

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I don't think there is a Sonic 06 of Zelda unless the CDI games count

Skyward Sword is more like the *insert mediocre but playable Sonic 3d game* of Zelda

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Zelda sucked ever since it stopped being Miyamoto playing with sticks in a cave

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I liked swinging the wii-mote around to swing the sword. I just wish it had been a little less finicky, even with wiimotion plus it dropped a lot of my motions.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Nintendo's biggest blunder was when they expanded from making hanafuda cards and mahjong sets

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

to put it another way i had skyward sword pegged as the sonic 2006 of zelda but as i think we established in this very thread there's one poster who's even willing to go to bat for that, so,

I mean I don't hate Skyward Sword but it's the one where I think it has the most to fix in a rerelease.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Nintendo's biggest blunder was when they expanded from making hanafuda cards and mahjong sets

:yeah:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

The skyward sword remake is just 60 hours of groose on your screen instead

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Phantasium posted:

I mean I don't hate Skyward Sword but it's the one where I think it has the most to fix in a rerelease.

The monkey paw has curled and they will fix poo poo that makes the game even worse.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

hell yeah December PS Plus is Soma, Onrush, Iconoclasts. Really wanted Onrush for a while so that's gonna be fun.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

The monkey paw has curled and they will fix poo poo that makes the game even worse.

Kind of a waste of a wish imo

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
SOMA is a really good story-based sci-fi game, good rear end month

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

skyward sword gave us groose, and for that all its sins can be forgiven

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Elephant Parade posted:

skyward sword gave us groose, and for that all its sins can be forgiven

Legend of Groose when

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SOMA is extremely good and I might replay it now because I never replayed it around Halloween like I intended

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Spirit Tracks ruled and at the very least was significantly better than Phantom Hourglass. Look I know the trains were a weird choice for a zelda game but it's a good game and has the best Zelda. Phantom Hourglass is the only bad modern zelda (LoZ I'd call bad too but if you just updated it to have like Link's Ambushing combat and made no other changes I'd like it)

The only mainline games I haven't played are zelda 2, four swords adventure, and triforce heroes. Zelda is good and produces actually bad games vanishingly rarely

e: skyward sword has a lot of problems too but not enough to cross the threshold into bad game

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i think it came up whenever we were last talking about this but the last zelda game i played was spirit tracks which i have near complete amnesia over and the last mainline zelda i played would've been twilight princess so i'm pretty far removed from having a horse in this race

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

Spirit Tracks ruled and at the very least was significantly better than Phantom Hourglass. Look I know the trains were a weird choice for a zelda game but it's a good game and has the best Zelda. Phantom Hourglass is the only bad modern zelda (LoZ I'd call bad too but if you just updated it to have like Link's Ambushing combat and made no other changes I'd like it)

The only mainline games I haven't played are zelda 2, four swords adventure, and triforce heroes. Zelda is good and produces actually bad games vanishingly rarely

e: skyward sword has a lot of problems too but not enough to cross the threshold into bad game

TP and SS were boring enough that I never finished either so I'd class them as mediocre at best

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This song came on my spotify today. It's good and it's kirby synthwave :getin:

https://open.spotify.com/track/0xyZGdpkODxuHeitZUpHPO?si=Q3-pqWXIRBK6MWDGV6S7hQ

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

I don't understand Kirby

Is Kirby a cut bloodborne boss

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kirby was born at the end of time, when 100% entropy was achieved. Kirby then ate his way to the next existence, where he will see his birthright come to pass.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

kirby's a wad of bubblegum i think

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Anyways I don't want to write up my full review of lttp until I finish my replay but spoilers it's not in my top half.

LttP but with Link's Awakening combat might be though

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Kirby is a friend

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

you've managed to pique my interest in whatever writeup you do because the combat in link to the past and link's awakening both qualify as exactly the same to me

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

the main problem with BOTW is that the dungeons suck

that's the biggest problem with puzzle dungeons, puzzles can be cool but they also inherently hurt the replay value of your game because unless they're randomized, you can't "unfind" solutions

other than that, I really liked "Zelda without all the bullshit"

None of the things they removed were bullshit

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

None of the things they removed were bullshit

Someone constantly tutorializing you was pretty bullshit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i think if i ever tried to personally play LTTP again i'd get utterly lost

I kinda need the handholdiness of modern open video games, it turns out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

cheetah7071 posted:

I had completely forgotten about Phantom Hourglass until now. :aaaaa:

Now there is a bad Zelda game.

• Locked thread