Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I unironically love big multiblock structures that take an hour to plan for and build and then take a couple minutes to go from "on" to max output.

What I'm saying is, nuclearcraft owns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

I love multiblocks that don't require like a thousand steel to build. I pretty much rush a max stability Thaumcraft infusion altar whenever the mod's in the game, even though I don't use the mod at all after I've got it built. I just love making room in my base for them, or making structures to surround them.

Except for Woot. I hate making mob farms, but I'd rather make a thousand of them than sit through doing anything with that loving mod.

e: I'm not who modmakers make mods for. I rarely do automation, my computer can't handle world sizes if I go off exploring forever, and unless the modpack is solely focused around it, ie. Stoneblock, I hate making quarries and farms. I just like having more pretty blocks to put down

Wungus fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 28, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’ve kinda bounced off of Thaumcraft because it needs gold at some point and looking for gold by caving sucks tremendous dick.

In fact, is caving ever worth it?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Use some sort of scanner or autominer or even both, in modded minecraft. It's the only way to stay sane.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

I’ve kinda bounced off of Thaumcraft because it needs gold at some point and looking for gold by caving sucks tremendous dick.

In fact, is caving ever worth it?

Compared to using an ardite head, ardite tool rod, obsidian + bronze large plate ticon hammer? Hell no.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

man i hate when i have to build in a children's block building game

It's fine when it's a logical structure and it has rules that affect operations/efficiency like Extreme Reactors, or TiCon smeltery.

There are simple rules - rectangular cube, bucket shape - you position your input/output slots, you choose how big to make it for efficiency vs. material cost, etc

I'll give a pass to the EnviroTech multiblocks since you just have to make enough space and then whack them together

But when it's an exercise in: Place the XYZ block in THIS spot at the top of a pillar TWO blocks high - not counting the block to be placed, okay next I have to put an ABC block exactly HERE... it's just a tedious exercise in reading a diagram, the challenge of which is inversely related to how clear the diagram is.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Compared to using an ardite head, ardite tool rod, obsidian + bronze large plate ticon hammer? Hell no.

I don’t recall getting ardite or bronze, but I haven’t gotten very far into TiCon.

Truga posted:

Use some sort of scanner or autominer or even both, in modded minecraft. It's the only way to stay sane.

Oh man, it’s really looking like that. Or make caving the primary method of loot, but that’s harder.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Scannable is a great mod for finding ores, because you use it to find general "rare" ores or home in on specific ores. You just need another mod with it because it's a handheld item that uses rf.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

TalonDemonKing posted:

I played Embers.
Embers was kinda garbage

This is the impression most people seem to have about Embers. Does Soot help at all? Or is it just a not fun mod?

TalonDemonKing posted:

Played Wizardry
Wizardry banned from the server due to causing tick loss

I haven't seen this. Although I haven't had more than 3 people on my lovely little server. What did you do?

Also what do people think of the various non automated ways to mine while you are still working towards an Environmental Tech void miner (or whatever your preferred ore gen/auto mining solution is)? The main ones I know of are the Creep Cube, the Drill from Actually Additions, the Fluxbore from Thermal Innovation, and the Tcon hammers.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Antillie posted:

Also what do people think of the various non automated ways to mine while you are still working towards an Environmental Tech void miner (or whatever your preferred ore gen/auto mining solution is)? The main ones I know of are the Creep Cube, the Drill from Actually Additions, the Fluxbore from Thermal Innovation, and the Tcon hammers.

Tcon hammers are obviously my go-to, since the only prerequisite is 36 iron, and the mining 'cost' is negligible amount of materials to repair it. Usually an interesting side-trip to the nether to get Ardite for stonebound/petramor modifiers. Sometimes I'll just cheat the Ardite in if I don't feel like it.

Mecreeps cube is pretty fun to play with, I like it for strip-mining at higher Y-levels for tin and certus and whatnot. At low y-levels I find I get a lot of problems with Mecreeps finding lava when strip-mining. It combines well with all the other tunneling methods, since you can fire a couple of them, work on your own tunnel, then come back to check on them and fire off some new ones.

I use the AA Drill sometimes when I'm mixing it up. It's usually reasonably effective at storing a charge for a mining trip. After my first time creating the speed/area upgrades I just skip it and cheat them in instead of finding snowballs or whatever else is the annoying thing to find.

I haven't used the Fluxbore before - probably from the funky name not coming up when I'm looking for mining/drill stuff. The stats look pretty okay, and a reinforced one looks doable, and looks like it can hold a decent charge. The enchantability is cute too. At 200RF/block it's twice as much energy use as AA drill, but holds about the same RF capacity at Reinforced. I think that's probably enough that the energy use would annoy me without also spending some effort on portable power storage.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t recall getting ardite or bronze, but I haven’t gotten very far into TiCon.

Ardite's a metal found in the nether, fairly commonly.

Bronze is an alloy of 3 copper and 1 tin.

People on progress are probably sick of hearing this, but I really love this hammer :sun:

With this exact combination of traits, awesome things happen. First, is that the hammer becomes unbreakable. It gets down to about 300 durability, and then between the bronze/obsidian traits preventing tool damage, and petrarmor regenerating durability, it ends up at an equilibrium point of durability consumption and regeneration. Secondly, the hammer gets faster and faster the lower durability it is, so when it hits the 300 equilibrium point, it is as fast as a pure cobalt hammer.

Modifiers are up to you. I like glowing and silk touch. Silk Touch is for extending your mining trips -- 1 coal ore block is "smaller" than the 2-5 coal you get from mining the coal ore with a pick.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Modifiers are up to you. I like glowing and silk touch. Silk Touch is for extending your mining trips -- 1 coal ore block is "smaller" than the 2-5 coal you get from mining the coal ore with a pick.

Silk touch is super important when I start mining

If you bring home your Redstone Ore/Lapis Ore/Coal Ore, you get TONS more redstone and lapis by processing it in machines, plus you can get moderately-hard-to-find stuff like rich slag / cinnabar if you process with TE.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don’t think my version of TiCon has that bronze alloy...? Or ardite, but maybe I missed it. I wouldn’t mind getting more ores...

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

I don’t think my version of TiCon has that bronze alloy...? Or ardite, but maybe I missed it. I wouldn’t mind getting more ores...

Check JEI for them. Bronze should have ingots and a fluid, and ardite should have ore, ingots, and a fluid.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pollyanna posted:

To follow on to Gwyneth, the way to search for TiCon alloys (alloys capable of being made in a TiCon smeltery) - search for the name of the metal, e.g. "bronze" - then look for a big square flowing block, I believe it will be labeled as "Molten X" typically - then click it.

At the top of the JEI window that pops up, select the Tinker's Alloying tab, and it will show you the recipe for what inputs it needs. Then shove a few of the necessary ingredients into your smeltery, and after they melt they'll automatically combine into the alloy. Watch out for accidental alloys - for example if your smeltery already has some copper, and you put in some iron+nickel to make invar, you might accidentally make some Constantan (copper + nickel) instead of the invar.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Devor posted:

I haven't used the Fluxbore before - probably from the funky name not coming up when I'm looking for mining/drill stuff. The stats look pretty okay, and a reinforced one looks doable, and looks like it can hold a decent charge. The enchantability is cute too. At 200RF/block it's twice as much energy use as AA drill, but holds about the same RF capacity at Reinforced. I think that's probably enough that the energy use would annoy me without also spending some effort on portable power storage.

Odd. I use the Fluxbore almost exclusively and my friend always uses the AA drill and she is always the one with energy issues until she gets a flux capacitor and upgrades it to hardened or better. For most of the time we are still manually mining I have a Reinforced Fluxbore and she has a drill with Speed Augment 1, Speed Augment 2, and Mining Augment 1. She generally runs out of power much faster than I do while clearing a slightly smaller area in much less time.

We once did a race and her maxed out 3x3 drill was able to tunnel faster than my 5x5 Resonant Fluxbore with Efficiency 5. However said Fluxbore was able to mine out blocks more total blocks per minute by a significant margin. I wonder if making the drill do 5x5 would change the results of either contest.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
multiblocks are the only cool part of minecraft anymore

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Antillie posted:

Odd. I use the Fluxbore almost exclusively and my friend always uses the AA drill and she is always the one with energy issues until she gets a flux capacitor and upgrades it to hardened or better. For most of the time we are still manually mining I have a Reinforced Fluxbore and she has a drill with Speed Augment 1, Speed Augment 2, and Mining Augment 1. She generally runs out of power much faster than I do while clearing a slightly smaller area in much less time.

We once did a race and her maxed out 3x3 drill was able to tunnel faster than my 5x5 Resonant Fluxbore with Efficiency 5. However said Fluxbore was able to mine out blocks more total blocks per minute by a significant margin. I wonder if making the drill do 5x5 would change the results of either contest.

When I was looking at values, I failed to realize that the AA augments (like speed) increase the RF cost. I'll have to check out Fluxbores!

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Right, 12 Billion RF/t, that's that project done. Now what?

I don't even know half the mods in this pack. Looking through NEI there's some cool looking items. Oooh, Advanced Rocketry? That sounds fun!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm bummed that progressive automation didn't roll into 1.12 because it was a great early-game miner; with it you could ramp up without doing much of any actual caving.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m still used to the pre-1.0 (I’m old) mindset of “go deep into caves to find diamond and gold”, so maybe I’m just super out of date when it comes to resourcing strategies.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Caves are still neat early on, but after you have your 3x3 or whatnot hammer pickaxe, it's faster to just empty a giant cube under your base of everything and put the 3 million cobblestone in a drawer.

And after that you're in autominer part of the game anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

IME hammers break like, immediately. I recall my iron-plated ones being pretty fragile.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Pollyanna posted:

I’m still used to the pre-1.0 (I’m old) mindset of “go deep into caves to find diamond and gold”, so maybe I’m just super out of date when it comes to resourcing strategies.

I end up doing it somewhat regardless. I think it's more stimulating--and possibly even actually faster early-on--to just punch out all the stuff that's on the surfaces of a cave. Most modpacks though don't have the best ore-gen rate when it comes to getting to automated mining so inevitably I have to stare at the wall in front of me getting busted over and over again at Y=12 to get whatever.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I like caves.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Truga posted:

Caves are still neat early on, but after you have your 3x3 or whatnot hammer pickaxe, it's faster to just empty a giant cube under your base of everything and put the 3 million cobblestone in a drawer.

And after that you're in autominer part of the game anyway.

Efficient tunneling method: find the Y-level you like, then make a horizontal tunnel using your 3x3 - you can visualize an extra 12 blocks around your tunnel, so it's like 'mining' 21 blocks at once, compared to hollowing out a giant cube which doesn't expose a bunch of free blocks visually

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

I end up doing it somewhat regardless. I think it's more stimulating--and possibly even actually faster early-on--to just punch out all the stuff that's on the surfaces of a cave. Most modpacks though don't have the best ore-gen rate when it comes to getting to automated mining so inevitably I have to stare at the wall in front of me getting busted over and over again at Y=12 to get whatever.

If you're using a good miner like the RFTools Builder, target it at the stuff you want. If you're looking for diamonds, check what the max y-level is (y15 or whatever), and then set it to only mine y-0 thru y-15. After strip-mining the world for a little bit I switched over to this method, was much happier.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This unfortunately doesn’t help me much for The Artificer since I don’t know of either Thaumcraft or TiCon having autominers or ore scanning. Someone should add that...:thunk:

vvv I would expect Thaumcraft to solve the “I need rare and precious ores” with alchemy but you need the rare and precious ores to do alchemy :shepicide:

I could add Scannable, but that goes against the magitek theme of the pack and requires RF. I could add some mod that provides RF, but I’d worry about it conflicting with Thaumcraft and Tinkers, which the minipack revolves around. The question to be answered here is, “how do you solve the problem with magical artifice”?

I’m sure there’s a way to just reskin stuff, but...

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 28, 2018

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Thaumcraft has a magical bore, that's something.

e: And TiCo has those throwable explosives that are really cool

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

I like caves for finding copper, tin, and coal early on. But for gold and diamonds I dig down to bedrock and start hollowing out a huge area. A reinforced Fluxbore, a Fluxomagnet, and a dank/null go a long way towards solving early game resource issues.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Antillie posted:

I like caves for finding copper, tin, and coal early on. But for gold and diamonds I dig down to bedrock and start hollowing out a huge area. A reinforced Fluxbore, a Fluxomagnet, and a dank/null go a long way towards solving early game resource issues.

/dank/null loving rules, I just wish it was less of a pain to make it early-game.

Speaking of, I just loaded up my pack with TiCon and I don't see copper or aluminum anywhere. :confused: Is there an addon I need?

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

This unfortunately doesn’t help me much for The Artificer since I don’t know of either Thaumcraft or TiCon having autominers or ore scanning. Someone should add that...:thunk:

vvv I would expect Thaumcraft to solve the “I need rare and precious ores” with alchemy but you need the rare and precious ores to do alchemy :shepicide:

I could add Scannable, but that goes against the magitek theme of the pack and requires RF. I could add some mod that provides RF, but I’d worry about it conflicting with Thaumcraft and Tinkers, which the minipack revolves around. The question to be answered here is, “how do you solve the problem with magical artifice”?

I’m sure there’s a way to just reskin stuff, but...

Immersive Engineering comes to mind here. Its very under powered and isn't going to replace anything that Thaumcraft or Tinkers do while still adding some RF generation and a charging station. It also has a very reto-tech/steampunk aesthetic which might fit a magic focused world better than the clinical cubes of Thermal Expansion. It also adds some very nice decorative blocks along that same steampunk-ish theme.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Pollyanna posted:

/dank/null loving rules, I just wish it was less of a pain to make it early-game.

Speaking of, I just loaded up my pack with TiCon and I don't see copper or aluminum anywhere. :confused: Is there an addon I need?

You can use gold for casts as well.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

I get those from Thermal Foundation, but Immersive Engineering also adds them (as well as lead, silver, and nickel, all of which are supported by tinkers) if you aren't running anything else that has them. Honestly I really like letting CoFH World handle all world/ore gen. That way I can have three mods that all add ore X without them stepping on each other's toes by making three types of copper and two types of silver.

Antillie fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

You can use gold for casts as well.

That, I know - but I want a bunch of cool metals n ores n poo poo too.

Antillie posted:

Immersive Engineering comes to mind here. Its very under powered and isn't going to replace anything that Thaumcraft or Tinkers do while still adding some RF generation and a charging station. It also has a very reto-tech/steampunk aesthetic which might fit a magic focused world better than the clinical cubes of Thermal Expansion. It also adds some very nice decorative blocks along that same steampunk-ish theme.

Immersive Engineering came to mind too but oh man, between it and TiCon structures, that's a hell of a lot of building. It fits an Artificer to have a big old workshop, though...harnessing thaumic lightning to charge your goggles Frankenstein-style, hell yeah. Okay, I'll add it!

Antillie posted:

I get those from Thermal Foundation, but Immersive Engineering also adds them (as well as lead, silver, and nickel, all of which are supported by tinkers) if you aren't running anything else that has them. Honestly I really like letting CoFH World handle all world/ore gen. That way I can have three mods that all add ore X without them stepping on each other's toes by making three types of copper and two types of silver.

Does CoFH World define copper, tin, silver, etc? If so, I'll totes pick it up. That should all be handled by Oredict, right?

Pollyanna fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Nov 29, 2018

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

Pollyanna posted:

Does CoFH World define copper, tin, silver, etc? If so, I'll totes pick it up. That should all be handled by Oredict, right?

Configs. I’d turn IE ore gen off and leave thermal’s on. It will all oredict in a TiCon smeltery though.

Antillie
Mar 14, 2015

Pollyanna posted:

CoFH World just does world gen. The ores and whatnot are defined in whatever other mods are present. So you could have CoFH World generate Immersive Engineering and Thaumcraft ores for example. Thermal Foundation defines a poo poo ton of ores and such but doesn't add any actual machines. You could always add Thermal Foundation, have CoFH World only generate the ores you want, and then use Crafttweaker2 to disable whatever recipes in Thermal Foundation you don't want. (You can also tweak Immersive Engineering with it.) Some docs might help:

Thermal Foundation
CoFH World
Crafttweaker2

Honestly I learned a lot by just dinging around in the CoFH World configs and Crafttweaker2 scripts that came with the Direwolf20 pack.

My pack has all the thermal mods as well as Immersive Engineering, Thaumcraft, Tinkers Construct, and Construct's Armory. All of the Thermal Foundation ores ore dict just fine across them all.

If you really want to go full bore with Crafttweaker2 maybe you can find some uses for Primal Mana, Mana Dust, or Mana Infused metal from Thermal Foundation by adding recipes that use them. Currently they aren't used for anything. I used Mana Dust to make a few things from Electroblob's Wizardry craftable. (Mana Dust itself needing Primal Mana obtained by melting magic crystals in a Magma Crucible or Smeltery.)

Antillie fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 29, 2018

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.
Getting a crash to desktop on Advanced Rocketry when I click Select Destination.

Is it a dimension confliction? Why do people make crash reports so hard to read. :(

https://textuploader.com/d3b9d

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Nov 29, 2018

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ak Gara posted:

Getting a crash to desktop on Advanced Rocketry when I click Select Destination.

Is it a dimension confliction? Why do people make crash reports so hard to read. :(

https://textuploader.com/d3b9d

That's a crash related to NEI.

Good luck getting support on it -- that's a 1.10.2 pack.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug
Playing through Exoria and having quite a lot of fun, although parts of it have been a bit dreary. Once I kind of got into the flow though, I really appreciated it. If you haven't played it yet, I highly recommend checking it out, it feels very guided and very custom in a way that Blightfall did, for example.

https://borg286.github.io/exoria/ has some tips and tricks, although many of them are out of date (such as the one about the obsidian hatchet). I'm just now getting to the Underground. The biggest one is that once you get sieveing up you can make EFLNs that make harvesting raw materials WAY easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i like sucking dick, so excuse you.