Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PantsBandit posted:

Look at this bad, bad opinion.

Also, Gulp is hella easy. That game is made for children, son.

maybe there was something obvious i missed about the fight, but he leads extremely well with his shots (to the point where you have to constantly serpentine) and they leave brief damage fields on impact which you can't see because the camera is always angled slightly upward, so it gets very difficult to avoid taking a hit when he's firing off 5-6 shot volleys at a stretch

also the fight's long, green son of a bitch takes like 15 minutes to drop even if you do everything right because his pattern fully resets with every hit

e: i read somewhere else on this forum that Gulp took some luckless goon 20 tries to beat and thought "well surely that's an exaggeration" and then about halfway through my own second try i was all "ah, maybe not"

think it took 4-5 to finally take him out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Oxxidation posted:

maybe there was something obvious i missed about the fight, but he leads extremely well with his shots (to the point where you have to constantly serpentine) and they leave brief damage fields on impact which you can't see because the camera is always angled slightly upward, so it gets very difficult to avoid taking a hit when he's firing off 5-6 shot volleys at a stretch

also the fight's long, green son of a bitch takes like 15 minutes to drop even if you do everything right because his pattern fully resets with every hit

Gulp always leads his shot based on your speed when he starts firing. So if you start out charging and keep charging, he's going to hit you. Start out moving at a jog and keep at that speed, he'll hit you. But if you start out at any one speed and then change to a different one (charging and then stopping, for example) he'll miss every time.

PantsBandit fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Nov 28, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My childhood was forged in the hellfires of nes tmnt, ghosts n goblins, crash bandicoot and ninja gaiden and kids these days can't beat spyro? Jonathan Nintendo is spinning in his grave, mate

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The game was made to be played and beaten by 8 year olds.

Then why do so many posters here care about it outside of the nostalgia and the newness

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
for all my bitching about Gulp at least he got my pulse up for a little bit, Spyro 2's basic gameplay loop is way more miserable

the stage-unique characters are all boring saccharine lumps after the amazing dragon redesigns in the first game and it's way less fun slogging through minigames than just snapping up gems everyplace

i haven't started the 3rd one but i vaguely remember it has a skateboarding minigame, which is an ill portent

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

The game was made to be played and beaten by 8 year olds.

CrRoMa posted:

Then why do so many posters here care about it outside of the nostalgia and the newness

Answering your own questions, my dude :hfive:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I didn't play bad games as a kid and I played and loved all 3 Spyro games. They are "made" for children, meaning they are easy enough that they aren't going to frustrate kids, but they're still well-designed games that can be enjoyed regardless of nostalgia.

But Spyro 2 definitely is different from the first. If you don't like the minigames I can understand finding it annoying, since there are a lot of them. I find them to be nice ways to mix things up, personally, and I also liked the addition of power-ups quite a bit.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Ok that's not entirely true, I did play "Big Rigs: Over the Road Racing". But in my defense, it was a christmas gift and I didn't have a full understanding of what I was getting into.

CrRoMa
Nov 12, 2017

by R. Guyovich
I remember playing the demo of spyro and having a good time in 1998, just seems really out of place for people to remember it so fondly.

What I'm saying is where is my jersey devil remake?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I wasn't able to beat the final boss of Spyro 1 as a child, and I don't even have the excuse of "I hosed myself hard at the last moment and saved over the only file" like I do with Parasite Eve.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The only game I remember completely giving up on hard cause of difficulty was dmc3 standard edition. What the gently caress was that. Why did they do that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I missed the cutesy 3D platformer collectathon era because I was playing Real Adult poo poo like Diablo and Resident Evil at the time. Back off kiddos, mommy wouldn't want to see you playing these games (my mom lets me though as long as I turn them off by nine)!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Yeah spryo 2 is the weakest. Spryo 3 is much more straightforward and has fewer bad moments. The worst parts of spryo 3 might be the skateboarding and it only comes up twice (so far, I'm only 60% complete)

Seriously spyro trilogy is worth it. But I did get it as part of the promotion that gives you $15 back. It'll be a fantastic deal at $20.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

RBA Starblade posted:

I wasn't able to beat the final boss of Spyro 1 as a child, and I don't even have the excuse of "I hosed myself hard at the last moment and saved over the only file" like I do with Parasite Eve.

Someone saved during the chase sequence :allears:.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
All the Spyro hyped & talk is absolutely 100% fueled by nostalgia, and that's totally fine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I started playing Nier:A. Made it though the first section on my 3rd try. Kind of a hosed up intro, if you ask me.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

I started playing Nier:A. Made it though the first section on my 3rd try. Kind of a hosed up intro, if you ask me.

There are no achievements tied to difficulty so feel free to play on whatever that makes the game go smoothly

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You can't actually save at that point, Aya picks up the phone, goes 'it's dead' then the thing chasing you catches up with you and you have to do the end boss again.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Sakurazuka posted:

You can't actually save at that point, Aya picks up the phone, goes 'it's dead' then the thing chasing you catches up with you and you have to do the end boss again.

Oh really? I was under the impression you could save there and essentially brick your game altogether.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's not quite that evil

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

PantsBandit posted:

I wish I had bought RDR2 physical so I could get some money back for it. Despite being a very impressive sim-world to walk around in there's just not that much to do that's actually fun. I stopped playing a couple weeks ago, thinking I'd just be taking a break to play some Spyro, but I really have no urge at all to go back to it.

Mainlining the story (yellow) missions makes it a entertaining cowboy movie with (not that great imo) gallery shooting bits.

I was invested enough in the characters to keep going, but I understand your frustrations.

I dont know if I would say it was 'fun' but there is value in dramas and tragedies as stories that aren't fun.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Feels Villeneuve posted:

There are no achievements tied to difficulty so feel free to play on whatever that makes the game go smoothly

I was playing on normal. Don't care about the achievements, really. Just want to see this story that people seem to like so much. The first two times I died, I thought I was supposed to die, to be honest. Especially because there are no saves and there were slight changes on the way to the boss. Very slight, but they were there. So I thought dying to the boss was part of the story. Then on the second try I didn't even get to the boss, I died during the twin grinders almost immediately. Beat the boss on the third try and checked online to see if it was supposed to go like that. Nope, just bad luck the second time and not enough dodging, in general.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Waltzing Along posted:

I was playing on normal. Don't care about the achievements, really. Just want to see this story that people seem to like so much. The first two times I died, I thought I was supposed to die, to be honest. Especially because there are no saves and there were slight changes on the way to the boss. Very slight, but they were there. So I thought dying to the boss was part of the story. Then on the second try I didn't even get to the boss, I died during the twin grinders almost immediately. Beat the boss on the third try and checked online to see if it was supposed to go like that. Nope, just bad luck the second time and not enough dodging, in general.

well the good news is that you can save the game now lol

anyway just enjoy the game, the only other caveat (very mild spoilers) is about sidequests: you might want to hold off on doing most sidequests until you unlock fast travel, which is about a third of the way through the main quest

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah, as soon as I finished I checked if I could save. Thank goodness.

But I did get better each time to the boss, which was a nice side effect of dying.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

I dont know if I would say it was 'fun' but there is value in dramas and tragedies as stories that aren't fun.

Totally agreed, I think the larger issue for me though is the nagging stuff around the edges that drag it down. Fast travel is a headache and there isn't enough variety to the missions. I actually enjoy the slower paced missions that have you doing stuff like catching fish with some of your crew or whatever, because at least that breaks things up a little. I'm so tired of "follow crew member(s) to location, shoot at a horde of faceless npcs for a few minutes, collect loot".

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

I missed the cutesy 3D platformer collectathon era because I was playing Real Adult poo poo like Diablo and Resident Evil at the time. Back off kiddos, mommy wouldn't want to see you playing these games (my mom lets me though as long as I turn them off by nine)!

I put a timer on myself when I played RE that I would stop before it got dark because I was a wussy :ohdear:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Neddy Seagoon posted:

No, I turned my gun into a tranquilizer that did like no damage. :negative:

I learned a valuable lesson about save files that day

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Onrush and SOMA are the free games for December. Iconoclasts is the crossbuy for PS4. Really good month!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHOlBekb8_I

Full list:

Onrush, PS4
SOMA, PS4
Steredenn, PS3
Steinsgate, PS3
Iconoclasts, PS Vita (Cross Buy with PS4)
Papers, Please, PS Vita

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Both of those are good, SOMA is a fantastic horror game that's really more of a sci-fi story/walking game, and Onrush needs a playerbase

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

exquisite tea posted:

Sounds very PS1-era yeah

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Steredenn's a pretty okay side-scrolling space shooter too if you have a PS3. I might try SOMA but I probably won't be bothered to install Onrush. I have no feelings whatsoever about Iconoclasts.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
SOMA is extremely good and has an option to make the monsters non-threatening so it can be almost literally a walking simulator.

Iconoclasts is also extremely good probably not what you think it is at first.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Oh hell yes, Steins;Gate and Papers Please. This is definitely a great month.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

haveblue posted:

SOMA is extremely good and has an option to make the monsters non-threatening so it can be almost literally a walking simulator.

I honestly recommend this because the actual stealth gameplay in SOMA kind of blows

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I m so inccredibly happy. I was intrigued by Onrush on sale for 20, but decided against it because it looked to be completely dead. Best of both worlds!

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I honestly recommend this because the actual stealth gameplay in SOMA kind of blows

It's not a stealth game. It's a hide in terror game. Which worked way better in lovecraft horror Amnesia then it does with technohorror monsters in this.

In the stealth game sense where you hide, observe the enemies movements and avoid/murder it's very much not that style of game. I dont know what to call it. But in video game parlance with all the baggage that comes with the term. It ain't 'stealth'

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Bombadilillo posted:

It's not a stealth game. It's a hide in terror game. Which worked way better in lovecraft horror Amnesia then it does with technohorror monsters in this.

In the stealth game sense where you hide, observe the enemies movements and avoid/murder it's very much not that style of game.

Which sucks because there isn't even that much consequence to getting caught since you have multiple chances and it's pretty easy, so it isn't even that "scary" apart from the actual atmosphere

besides there's like four or five actual enemy sections in the game so you aren't really losing out on much with safe mode, the bulk of the game was always exploration and story

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, it's using the Frictional template where you have no offensive ability of any kind and have to figure out how to avoid and run away from the monsters rather than how to kill them.

There is one monster that can be trapped in a locked room but he will magic himself out through respawning or scripted events :mad:

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Which sucks because there isn't even that much consequence to getting caught since you have multiple chances and it's pretty easy, so it isn't even that "scary" apart from the actual atmosphere

besides there's like four or five actual enemy sections in the game so you aren't really losing out on much with safe mode, the bulk of the game was always exploration and story

I dont think I ever actually got caught in the whole game, so ironically it was still scary for me because I never saw the lack of a threat. Weird! I do think I died outside in a chase sequence for going the wrong way or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SOMA is so good, I'm really glad I tried it a second time