Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1067801517397135360

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Nov 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Lightning Knight posted:

What exactly should we do?
Somewhere there's a Tomahawk nearing its 'best before' date that is the answer to your question.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Somewhere there's a Tomahawk nearing its 'best before' date that is the answer to your question.

I feel like this would go badly and we shouldn’t be assassinating foreign leaders, even really lovely ones.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

What exactly should we do? This is a genuine question, I assume the answer is “stop all weapons sales and maybe also sanctions” but I see a lot of leftist argumentation against sanctions as a tool and it’s not clear to me why. I know it has something to do with them being ineffective? Or maybe targeting the poor? I see a lot of reference to Iraq in the 90s.

^ :3:

the general argument is "outside of stuff focused extremely specifically on individual rich assholes, punitive sanctions against a state generally hurt the innocent people there more than the rich powerful assholes"

which is actually why i moooooostly like the current structure of sanctions on the Venezuelan leadership

we could totally use the rich-rear end in a top hat part of that as inspiration, or, you know, the Magnitsky Act

we might be able to LITERALLY use the Magnitsky Act, I don't remember the trigger conditions

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Lightning Knight posted:

What exactly should we do? This is a genuine question, I assume the answer is “stop all weapons sales and maybe also sanctions” but I see a lot of leftist argumentation against sanctions as a tool and it’s not clear to me why. I know it has something to do with them being ineffective? Or maybe targeting the poor? I see a lot of reference to Iraq in the 90s.

when you come right down to it, the argument advanced by Trump and Pompeo is identical to that of the currently existing DC foreign policy blob, just put a little more crudely than they'd prefer. due to the United States' serious interests in the middle east, it is necessary for us to continue our unconditional support of the guys who brought you 9/11. there is no amount of blood they could shed that would get us to reconsider.

the immediate proscription, of course, is to cut off arms sales. might even be able to sneak that by a few of the blob's acolytes with "this is just reminding them who wears the pants in this relationship." but that's part of the longer-term project to ask the question "what are the interests, precisely, that require us to sign off on a theocratic monarchy's reign of bloody terror. whose interests are these, and who profits through our pursuit of them."

these are questions that the blob does not wish asked, because the blob is by and large wholly owned and operated by Saudi dark money

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like this would go badly and we shouldn’t be assassinating foreign leaders, even really lovely ones.

Did they say Tomahawk? They meant "Independent Unidentified Off-Brand missile from an unknown source"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

According to twitter, the GOP was not happy with his op-ed at all, saying it landed like a lead balloon. They seem to be serious about punishing Saudi Arabia in some way. If thats the case, we may end up with veto-proof sanctions like those Russia sanctions which Trump will also illegally refuse to implement.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

https://twitter.com/ShaneGoldmacher/status/1067633221578514432

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Lightning Knight posted:

Sanctions definitely 'work' in that they can drive the target country into ruin but the fuckers in charge aren't going to be that materially impacted by it, since they'll just steal even more from their own people to make up for whatever part of the sanctions targets them specifically instead of the country. Not selling them weapons would be a great start. If Trump hadn't re-hosed things up with Iran we could start making noise that maybe we like them more than the Saudis now.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Ate My Balls Redux posted:

Did they say Tomahawk? They meant "Independent Unidentified Off-Brand missile from an unknown source"

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Tomahawk!

Also thank you for the answers everyone.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

I mean definitely stop selling them weapons which we need to do anyway.

Bar the prince, those directly involved in the murder, and those involved in the cover up from entry into the United States and freeze any assets they have here.

I've long been of the opinion that we shouldn't export any military hardware more advanced than prop driven biplanes and muskets.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

:saddowns:

sometimes i hate living in the future

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president
Is there a thread or book to blue-pill myself on globalization and open borders? Or at least what a successful immigration policy looks like? Because right now I can't shake the idea that it's probably a good thing to get a head count of everyone coming and going into the country

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Lightning Knight posted:

I Can’t Believe It’s Not Tomahawk!

Also thank you for the answers everyone.

Blue Bomb-it

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

I respectfully disagree. It is only right and proper that assholes should explode.

Edit: Although I approve of taking a page from Putin's book. "Not us. Missile was on vacation "

Rent-A-Cop fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 28, 2018

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

but that's part of the longer-term project to ask the question "what are the interests, precisely, that require us to sign off on a theocratic monarchy's reign of bloody terror. whose interests are these, and who profits through our pursuit of them."

america is currently extremely reliant on saudi cheap oil. until we move away from that they're always going to have leverage. you'd think the 70s oil shocks would have been wake up calls, but nah.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I respectfully disagree. It is only right and proper that assholes should explode.

another derail about your cooking? jeez

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stexils posted:

america is currently extremely reliant on saudi cheap oil. until we move away from that they're always going to have leverage. you'd think the 70s oil shocks would have been wake up calls, but nah.

I see this as a feature, not a bug.

Do you remember the aftermath of Katrina, where gas started approaching 6 or 7 bucks a gallon and EVERYONE was talking about alternative energy sources? At the time it felt like as soon as that hit the mainstream, gas prices plummeted again and everyone stopped talking about it.

Cutting Saudi Arabia off would be painful but it's the exact type of tough weaning we need.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

GreyjoyBastard posted:

another derail about your cooking? jeez
My CBRN Chili wins the office cook-off every year.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth

Dr Christmas posted:

What if Pizzagate abd Qanon are real, and the reason Donald Trump has them figured it is that he spent decades trying to get in, only to be rejected because he's so personally unpleasant?

I seem to remember reading some article back when Trump was running in the primary about his crazy coke parties in New York in the 80s where underage girls were present.

I also have a really certain feeling that Russia has Trump on tape raping kids. If it were just prostitutes I don't think he'd be so utterly terrified of Putin, and if it's just dirty mob money propping up his decrepit real estate empire well I don't buy that that would explain his fear either. It's gotta be kids.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Lightning Knight posted:

for Saudi Arabia. id go sanctions against MBS and his top supporters, freeze their accounts/etc and halt the arm sales.

Rigel posted:

According to twitter, the GOP was not happy with his op-ed at all, saying it landed like a lead balloon. They seem to be serious about punishing Saudi Arabia in some way. If thats the case, we may end up with veto-proof sanctions like those Russia sanctions which Trump will also illegally refuse to implement.

yeah the GOP old breeds never really liked saudi arabia, they know they cause most of Wahabi issues in the middle east and that they are human rights hell hole, its also because much like trump, they have been doing the quiet stuff very loving loud. The GOP would be fine tossing kasshogi under the bus if it was done with "tact" but trump and plumpio have made that impossible.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Edit: Although I approve of taking a page from Putin's book. "Not us. Missile was on vacation "

I just think if we’re going to be anti-intervention we should be consistent about it. Lotta lovely world leaders might deserve to be Tomahawked but the US certainly shouldn’t be making that call imo.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

Blitz7x posted:

Is there a thread or book to blue-pill myself on globalization and open borders? Or at least what a successful immigration policy looks like? Because right now I can't shake the idea that it's probably a good thing to get a head count of everyone coming and going into the country

I feel like it's totally reasonable for a country to want to account for the coming and going of people across their borders. The problems arise with people who want to make that coming and going unnecessarily restrictive.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Stexils posted:

The US economy is way less reliant on oil today than in the 1970s

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

Lightning Knight posted:

I just think if we’re going to be anti-intervention we should be consistent about it. Lotta lovely world leaders might deserve to be Tomahawked but the US certainly shouldn’t be making that call imo.

also it usually makes things worse. if a leader gets assassinated the go-to person who will fill the vacancy is a military leader.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Feinne posted:

I feel like it's totally reasonable for a country to want to account for the coming and going of people across their borders. The problems arise with people who want to make that coming and going unnecessarily restrictive.

I posted an article about this but if you read the work of Brianna Rennix (I may be spelling her name wrong, my apologies I’m phone posting) for Current Affairs she has written awesome stuff on moral immigration policy for the left.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Typo posted:

The US economy is way less reliant on oil today than in the 1970s

The economy yes, but for plutocrats its still part and parcel of hegemonic control.

Blitz of 404 Error
Sep 19, 2007

Joe Biden is a top 15 president

Stexils posted:

I don't believe this is as true as it used to be. The US has plenty of oil and natural gas, it's just not cost effective if SA drops their prices to 20 bucks a bbl

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

How are u posted:

I seem to remember reading some article back when Trump was running in the primary about his crazy coke parties in New York in the 80s where underage girls were present.

I also have a really certain feeling that Russia has Trump on tape raping kids. If it were just prostitutes I don't think he'd be so utterly terrified of Putin, and if it's just dirty mob money propping up his decrepit real estate empire well I don't buy that that would explain his fear either. It's gotta be kids.

I actually don't think so. I don't get the impression Trump actually likes sex, given the weird poo poo we've heard from Stormy and other sources. I think it's his Russian mob ties from the 80s. I think he's a giant loving idiot who never expected to win and only ran to get his dumb TV empire off the ground. He's now in this position where his every move is scrutinized, and the poo poo he did in the 80s that he thought he was free and clear on are now possibly going to land him in jail for the rest of his life.All because he accidentally won

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

More votes than a presidential election and the senate is 47-53. Abolish it.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

Why not? They deserve missiles, we got extra missiles. gently caress 'em.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Lightning Knight posted:

There's a pretty large body of study on sanctions, their efficacy, how they affect different populations, etc., and if I recall correctly from a class I took on them waaay back as an undergrad when I was all over the place changing majors, yeah, they're basically only good for domestic optics. You're doing something, even if they really don't have much effect, or at very least not the intended one, though the average person wouldn't know that, so you skate on.

e:I recall this being the book we used in that class

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Do you think we should Tomahawk Assad and Kim? That’s a slippery slope man. We would just be destabilizing these countries for no real gain since some lovely general will just take over.

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Dumping missiles without a plan to help rebuild is a large part of why our standing in the world is where it is

friendbot2000
May 1, 2011

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Because what the world needs is definitely more bloodshed, civil wars, and power vacuums right? And we don't have extra missiles, we actually have a shortage of missiles because we already like to bomb brown people too much.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lightning Knight posted:

Do you think we should Tomahawk Assad and Kim? That’s a slippery slope man. We would just be destabilizing these countries for no real gain since some lovely general will just take over.

But then the lovely general will know we'll just tomahawk them if they get outta line, it's the perfect plan
:abrathink:

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But then the lovely general will know we'll just tomahawk them if they get outta line, it's the perfect plan
:abrathink:

The Darth Vader school of international relations.

cr0y
Mar 24, 2005

Flake gon' Flake

https://twitter.com/pdmcleod/status/1067828927379513350?s=19

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

gently caress him, he pulled that poo poo theater on Kavanaugh and didn't follow through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Nonsense posted:

More votes than a presidential election and the senate is 47-53. Abolish it.

Normal country.

Republicans got a smaller percentage of the vote than Walter Mondale.