Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

MD came out way before CD-R was reasonably affordable

That didn't stop my family. If it was a cool new tech toy my dad was an early adopter. We were among the first residential installation of Comcast Fiber in the city. He likes his gadgets. Probably one of the first US owners of a RoboMower too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I had one of the first CD recorders, it was a TEAC unit with dual trays, when I made my first mix CD my mind was blown :v:

I had maybe one of the first that was anywhere near reasonable, it might have been capable of 2X but I remember throwing so many expensive CD-Rs away I usually made CD's at 1X

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Rhyno posted:

That didn't stop my family. If it was a cool new tech toy my dad was an early adopter. We were among the first residential installation of Comcast Fiber in the city. He likes his gadgets. Probably one of the first US owners of a RoboMower too.

Well, MD precedes CD-R by a number of years, and the first CD-Rs were over 10k, so explains why you might have bought MD before.

dphi
Jul 9, 2001
My dad was similar in being an early adopter, I think he paid $500 for our CD-R in '95 or '96. I made a decent amount of money selling mix CDs in high school, undercutting the guys at the car shops and swap meets doing the same thing.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Sold for 520000 yen, or 4571.32 USD. I can't really see what the point of importing a "4Runner, but the steering wheel is on the other side" since it's just the gasoline engine. If it were the KZ diesel though hells2theyeah that would have been a good buy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

KakerMix posted:

I think these Dyna vans are the coolest looking vans Toyota has ever made, super beefy too.

Hell fuckin yeah that is sweeeeeeet. Are there 4wd versions?

Also minidiscs were great! For me at least, being able to do digital recording was mind blowing after using cassettes for so long. I still have a ton of em.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Well, MD precedes CD-R by a number of years, and the first CD-Rs were over 10k, so explains why you might have bought MD before.

I wasnt an MD early adopter though, I just bought it on a lark. Mp3 Cds were definitely a thing at that point.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Snowy posted:

Also minidiscs were great! For me at least, being able to do digital recording was mind blowing after using cassettes for so long. I still have a ton of em.

Probably? This is only the second Dyna van I've seen, the other one had a giant $10k generator in the back and no miles on the drive-train.

Auction Sheet posted:

90393- at, ac, one owner, keyless, aftermarket audio, floor mats, visors, owner's manual, warranty booklet, spare key, timing belt sticker at 108,841km, interior dirty, left side mirror not working, timing belt lamp on, other dents scratches paint waves

Inspection posted:

90393- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge but oil dirty, coolant color and level ok, valve cover area slightly oily, tires have 50% no cracks, spare ok, no leaks mold or rust in cargo area, undercarriage/wheel wells light surface rust only, boots ok, exterior in good shape, some paint fade, windshield chips small, seats ok, ceiling liner dirty, dashboard glue/tape remains, no smells, ac ok, at ok, check lamps except timing belt off, lights ok, windows ok, seats ok, wipers ok, sunroof ok, mirrors not working

Bid 245500 yen, lost to a final price of 254000 yen. Difference of $74.69.
It's the top trim of the HiAce in short wheelbase form, 2WD, three large sunroof sections, 3.0 KZ turbo diesel under the hood front seats and automatic transmission. One owner too.

Auction Sheet posted:

65562- at, ac, diesel, aftermarket wheels, small chips in windshield, interior scratches worn dirty and tears, 4 tires inside wheel, steering wheel cover installed, other dents scratches paint waves, scratches on wheels and mirrors

Inspection posted:

65562- engine starts idles and revs fine, no smoke or vibrations, no sludge, coolant color and level ok, no oil leaks, front tires worn, rears have 30%, cracks in spare, no leaks mold or rust in trunk, undercarriage/wheel wells slight surface rust, boots ok, body/paint in good condition, windshield chips small, seats good, dashboard ok, ceiling liner ok, interior ok, no burns, rear ac fan weak?, ac ok, at ok, check lamps ok, 4wd ok, can't turn hublock dial, wipers ok, lights ok, right door mirror scratches, studless tires inside cargo area

Ended up not bidding on this one (or having to pay the inspection fee) as another JCD buyer since they were going in at 600000 yen, quite high for a LiteAce even if it's the top-end TownAce. Diesel, automatic, great shape, rad bullbar and sick graphics with 4 wheel drive. The guy that bid 600000 yen lost to a final price of 621000 yen, $184.53 difference. RIP that dude, with a 600k bid he was serious about buying.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

KakerMix posted:

Probably? This is only the second Dyna van I've seen, the other one had a giant $10k generator in the back and no miles on the drive-train.

Bid 245500 yen, lost to a final price of 254000 yen. Difference of $74.69.
It's the top trim of the HiAce in short wheelbase form, 2WD, three large sunroof sections, 3.0 KZ turbo diesel under the hood front seats and automatic transmission. One owner too.

Ended up not bidding on this one (or having to pay the inspection fee) as another JCD buyer since they were going in at 600000 yen, quite high for a LiteAce even if it's the top-end TownAce. Diesel, automatic, great shape, rad bullbar and sick graphics with 4 wheel drive. The guy that bid 600000 yen lost to a final price of 621000 yen, $184.53 difference. RIP that dude, with a 600k bid he was serious about buying.

I'm pretty sure the Jcd bidder for the liteace is a goon. He was going to flip it.y

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

I'm pretty sure the Jcd bidder for the liteace is a goon. He was going to flip it.y

If it is I hope they fess up and join the fun! :yum:

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I’d have bought that Surf for that price. Even though I swore to myself I will never buy any gas models again because diesel is so desirable but I don’t think I’d have a problem selling it for 10 cash in a week so...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

:eyepop:

gimpsuitjones
Mar 27, 2007

What are you lookin at...
That’s a clone of the truck I learned to drive in. Like the 2.8 3L, the n/a 2.4 2L goes forever, the hilux we had with it had over 600,000km on it and that’s not unusual. Absolute slug though

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
STOP I can not buy anything else right now

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

I want it.

Do these usually command high prices? I know the Helix is considered the most reliable car ever by a lot of people.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

64bit_Dophins posted:

I want it.

Do these usually command high prices? I know the Helix is considered the most reliable car ever by a lot of people.

It depends I was surprised the Surf went for what it did (expected higher).

This is a 4, accuarate mileage, 5 speed diesel looks like. It looks like the tits to me. If I was bidding I'd probably throw 475-500 at it. But it could go for way more.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."

everdave posted:

This is a 4, accuarate mileage, 5 speed diesel looks like. It looks like the tits to me. If I was bidding I'd probably throw 475-500 at it. But it could go for way more.

Yeah it looks great. It's hard to find good smaller Japanese trucks in the states these days. If you want a decent truck you have to get something big or put in some work on a old Nissan given how loving horrible the ford ranger is.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

64bit_Dophins posted:

I want it.

everdave posted:

It WILL go for way more. A Surf is not a pickup. Hilux pickups go for Land Cruiser money. The problem is the trucks get the poo poo beat out of them so you end up seeing one with 500k kms on it still selling for 5,000 USD. Notice the starting bid on this one, it's pretty high at 380000 yen.

You can not assume Surfs and Pickups are the same, they are distinct and different in the prices they command. One can be made a technical, the other not so much. :eng101: I expect 11,000 but we'll see if it even sells.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor
Hey kaker is this you? Because this seems like alot for an acty van.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1992-honda-acty-van-sdx/6738420055.html

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
I agree with everything you said Kaker I will Be interested what the truck sells
For

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

Hey kaker is this you? Because this seems like alot for an acty van.

https://jacksonville.craigslist.org/cto/d/1992-honda-acty-van-sdx/6738420055.html

That is not me, no, I'm in Sarasota. That is another import dealership though, I see them on instagram. That's the right price for that van considering how much they go for here, it has low mileage and AC, even if only 2WD.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

That is not me, no, I'm in Sarasota. That is another import dealership though, I see them on instagram. That's the right price for that van considering how much they go for here, it has low mileage and AC, even if only 2WD.

really i thought the acty go for 1.5-2k usd

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Plus shipping... plus import taxes... plus...

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

really i thought the acty go for 1.5-2k usd

At auction, plus 3k or so to get it here and legal, plus margins!!!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Snowy posted:

The Dyna and the Diahatsu rebadge definitely do have 4WD versions. They were popular in Australia in the 80s and 90s with utility companies, and you still see one or two of them on the road. However rust is a big killer of them.

johnnyonetime
Apr 2, 2010

KakerMix posted:

At auction, plus 3k or so to get it here and legal, plus margins!!!

Yeah that's what I'm talking about! I'm hoping to squeeze about $7500 outta my Sambar van when/if I get tired of driving it. The killer for me was the $1000 it cost to get it transported by truck from Tacoma to Denver. I've already decided on my next one I'll have it sent to a local shop from the port to get new tires/fluid changed, book a one way flight and roadtrip that bitch back home.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Looooooks pretty choice and, based on the wheels and what looks like inspection records, completely stock.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

Looooooks pretty choice and, based on the wheels and what looks like inspection records, completely stock.

but its 4 and they go for 10k~ or so i am told.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

wargames posted:

but its 4 and they go for 10k~ or so i am told.

It probably will be just around 10k USD yeah, but that's the price for stock n' clean.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

KakerMix posted:

It probably will be just around 10k USD yeah, but that's the price for stock n' clean.

I just want a 4k~ R to go zooom in if the engine works.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
BONGO

ZOOM POWER

It's pretty freakin' rad imho. Everything works and it runs and drives great. It does look like the oil was changed over a year ago though so I gotta take care of that. Otherwise the AC works great, heat is great, it's just dirty as all hell as this is fresh off the boat. Not a stitch of carpet in the thing either so it smells like a factory. It was smoked in at least a little bit as the lighter shows use but I can't see any burns nor is there any smoke smell. The seats are this faux-weave vinyl that needs some scrubbing with some magic erasers.

EDIT

What the hell are these things on either side of the cab? Some sort of tie-down but I can't figure out why the spring is there.

KakerMix fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Nov 30, 2018

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
Got something else too see if you can guess what it is:

This guy is clean as hell. It needs a new set of tires definitely and as far as I can tell the last time the oil was changed was in 2016 (!!!) so that's absolutely something that needs to be done ASAP. The tape player also doesn't work which sucks a lot since the headunit owns, those 'Left Level/Right Level' areas are LEDs that bounce to the beats of whatever you are playing. I think what I'm going to do is have someone modify this unit to have bluetooth so I can keep the ~aesthetic~. Interior is essentially spotless, there are a couple of light stains on the back seat and the driver's side bottom vinyl is cracked a wee bit but otherwise it's a choice cut of a truck. I forgot to take pictures of the engine but that's well enough anyway since I had to swipe the battery from the Prado as the Rugger battery was dead (so was the Bongo's) and put it on a trickle charger. There also seems to be something blocking the airflow in the HVAC system, the blower is blowing and it's making all sorts of noise but the air itself doesn't seem to be getting through any of the vents easily, like there is a big wad of something in the tubes. No smells of any kind though, the truck smells like a tire store if anything.

hitze
Aug 28, 2007
Give me a dollar. No, the twenty. This is gonna blow your mind...

well poo poo

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

KakerMix posted:

This guy is clean as hell. It needs a new set of tires definitely and as far as I can tell the last time the oil was changed was in 2016 (!!!) so that's absolutely something that needs to be done ASAP. The tape player also doesn't work which sucks a lot since the headunit owns, those 'Left Level/Right Level' areas are LEDs that bounce to the beats of whatever you are playing. I think what I'm going to do is have someone modify this unit to have bluetooth so I can keep the ~aesthetic~. Interior is essentially spotless, there are a couple of light stains on the back seat and the driver's side bottom vinyl is cracked a wee bit but otherwise it's a choice cut of a truck. I forgot to take pictures of the engine but that's well enough anyway since I had to swipe the battery from the Prado as the Rugger battery was dead (so was the Bongo's) and put it on a trickle charger. There also seems to be something blocking the airflow in the HVAC system, the blower is blowing and it's making all sorts of noise but the air itself doesn't seem to be getting through any of the vents easily, like there is a big wad of something in the tubes. No smells of any kind though, the truck smells like a tire store if anything.

Niiice! Are you in a city that is basically a suburb of Tampa by any chance? The front of your house looks suspiciously like one in my hometown, that I think I bought something on CL from like 4-5 years ago (can't remember what though).

What is wrong with the tape deck? My 90's Starlet had it go, I haven't had time to pull it and crack it open, but I am pretty sure it's just the drive belt breaking and shouldn't be a tough fix if it's anything like the standalone units I've played around with. Radio works fine but tape just makes a whirring noise, whether it's a regular cassette or a car kit.

Naturally the spare I grabbed when I was at the wreckers last also has same issue, think it may just happen with age.

edit:

Speaking of ~aethetic~, here is the lengths I went to to keep the stupid thing when I installed new speakers and an amp:

Worth it tho, look at that :krad: 90s upholstery.

Ethics_Gradient fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 30, 2018

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Killer new arrivals

greatrambino
May 7, 2007
I really want a Jimny or some sort of little 4x4, but I'm sure the salted winter hell roads of Minnesota would destroy it.

nmagness
Sep 16, 2013

I had a samurai as my first car here in MN and I still regret selling it. Incredibly easy to work on and blast to drive in the snow. The body rusted right off the frame though :(

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Ethics_Gradient posted:

Niiice! Are you in a city that is basically a suburb of Tampa by any chance? The front of your house looks suspiciously like one in my hometown, that I think I bought something on CL from like 4-5 years ago (can't remember what though).

What is wrong with the tape deck? My 90's Starlet had it go, I haven't had time to pull it and crack it open, but I am pretty sure it's just the drive belt breaking and shouldn't be a tough fix if it's anything like the standalone units I've played around with. Radio works fine but tape just makes a whirring noise, whether it's a regular cassette or a car kit.

Naturally the spare I grabbed when I was at the wreckers last also has same issue, think it may just happen with age.

edit:

Speaking of ~aethetic~, here is the lengths I went to to keep the stupid thing when I installed new speakers and an amp:

Worth it tho, look at that :krad: 90s upholstery.

Tampa is an hour north from us, we're in Sarasota. Different counties, but anything is possible I suppose.
My issue is I was expecting the tape to just start playing when I inserted the tape but nothing happens, the mechanism doesn't catch or anything. I didn't spend a lot of time with it but I was looking in the manual (as in waving my google translate app over it) and saw some things I can try to get it to work. I'll look at it more tomorrow.

greatrambino posted:

I really want a Jimny or some sort of little 4x4, but I'm sure the salted winter hell roads of Minnesota would destroy it.

Probably but you could also just undercoat the gently caress out of it. You'd have to be meticulous I'd wager but boy would it be rad as all hell bombing around the mid-west in a INTERCOOLER TURBO Jimny.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

KakerMix posted:

EDIT

What the hell are these things on either side of the cab? Some sort of tie-down but I can't figure out why the spring is there.

The spring is there so the clamp can go over centre without you having to stretch the steel by hand. Don't know what it's supposed to do, unless you put something over the hook then the clamp goes over to stop it coming off? Is it in the manual? And what does the side text on the bed say?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

cakesmith handyman posted:

The spring is there so the clamp can go over centre without you having to stretch the steel by hand. Don't know what it's supposed to do, unless you put something over the hook then the clamp goes over to stop it coming off? Is it in the manual? And what does the side text on the bed say?

Ok ok here. Looks like a part of the modification done to this formally-white Bongo was that rear back panel was installed over the lower portion and I have to assume those spring clamps were installed then as the manual doesn't show them anywhere.

EDIT Google translate says the left side says (at least) "Japan Construction" and right side says "Today New Dawn". ???