Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

My current game is weird. The Muhallabids just managed to break free from Chinese tributary status as the Byzzies got subjugated, but before that the Western Protectorate extended all the way to Morocco and we haven't finished the 9th century yet.

Does anybody know when the Pagan GHW era starts, by the way? I'm sick of looking at my "Conquer the Slav bastards" CB and not being able to trigger it. I'm really going to need to stomp Carpathia and Khazaria in a hurry this game the way China is pushing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Jedit posted:

My current game is weird. The Muhallabids just managed to break free from Chinese tributary status as the Byzzies got subjugated, but before that the Western Protectorate extended all the way to Morocco and we haven't finished the 9th century yet.

Does anybody know when the Pagan GHW era starts, by the way? I'm sick of looking at my "Conquer the Slav bastards" CB and not being able to trigger it. I'm really going to need to stomp Carpathia and Khazaria in a hurry this game the way China is pushing.

Either Crusades or Jihas must be unlocked. After that, it's an event with a 10 year MTTH.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
Ah, it was only a matter of time.

https://twitter.com/longgameshort/status/1067453657040543745

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

How exactly do you merge bloodlines if they're not matrilineally transferable.

The way patrilineal bloodline inheritance works is that a father with that blood will pass it on to his children regardless of his marriage type. A woman with a patrilineal bloodline will pass it on if her child is the product of a matrilineal marriage, so if both parents have separate patrilineal bloodlines then they will both go to the child.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
On a different note, I wonder if all the map changes messed with the SPQR cheevo? I'm pretty certain I've got all the territory and I don't have imperial reconquest CB on anyone else but it's not popping. I made sure to look all around to confirm there were no stray baronies too.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Gobblecoque posted:

On a different note, I wonder if all the map changes messed with the SPQR cheevo? I'm pretty certain I've got all the territory and I don't have imperial reconquest CB on anyone else but it's not popping. I made sure to look all around to confirm there were no stray baronies too.

Imperial reconquest only works on other Christians. You can use holy wars against infidels after all. Check is some pagans hold land in Northern Europe that you need for the achievement.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
No, it's only against Muslims that it doesn't work.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Broken Cog posted:

Both parents pass both types in a matrilineal marriage

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Torrannor posted:

Either Crusades or Jihas must be unlocked. After that, it's an event with a 10 year MTTH.

So what you're saying is that I should go conquer Rome.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

pidan posted:

CK2: Holy Fury - your Pope is a bad Pope.

Anyone got that event from the Dev diaries where an evil pope makes an open cannibal kinslayer a saint and plunges Catholicsm into a continent wide civil war? Is that event chain working?

Meanwhile, in my last pre-Holy Fury game, the HRE marches on

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

THE BAR posted:

Women can't be the Kwisatz Haderach! She's abomination!

ah, poo poo I suppose you're right. Been forever since I read Dune.

This probably means something horrible will happen to her.

Broken Cog posted:

1) ID someone with the bloodline you want and get them into your court
2) Matri-marry them to someone, preferably of your dynasty
2a) Bloodlines will now transfer to the kid no matter what
3) Keep breeding the line until you're ready to fold it into your main line
4) Repeat

The hardest is step 1 as it can be maddeningly hard to get people into your court. I had to get one of the bloodlines by capturing someone's wife in a siege, making her a concubine, killing her husband and then force marrying her to someone in my dynasty.

Also if it's not apparent, women are super crucial for this strategy to work. You may want to be Enatic to make it easier.

axeil fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Nov 28, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Turns out I'm an idiot, there was one rogue barony hiding out in the alps. drat those tiny shields that don't appear unless you zoom way in.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Gobblecoque posted:

Turns out I'm an idiot, there was one rogue barony hiding out in the alps. drat those tiny shields that don't appear unless you zoom way in.

A lot of times there can be a hidden duchy title that doesn't show up as well because the person you need to usurp it from isn't at peace, so you don't have the option to.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

axeil posted:

1) ID someone with the bloodline you want and get them into your court
2) Matri-marry them to someone, preferably of your dynasty
2a) Bloodlines will now transfer to the kid no matter what
3) Keep breeding the line until you're ready to fold it into your main line
4) Repeat

The hardest is step 1 as it can be maddeningly hard to get people into your court. I had to get one of the bloodlines by capturing someone's wife in a siege, making her a concubine, killing her husband and then force marrying her to someone in my dynasty.

Also if it's not apparent, women are super crucial for this strategy to work. You may want to be Enatic to make it easier.
1 is not that complicated as bloodlines spread because both the assassins and satanists let you kidnap people. Then you can either recruit them, consort/concubine them by force or in case of the satanists, force them into the cult then invite them normally

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012
Playing a shattered-realm, full random religion game as Kurdish-Tengri. I reformed Tengri, which gets Eternal Riders (polygamy + relentless.) Only my king doesn't have an option for secondary wives (his son and heir does however.) Anyone have any idea why? (I'm feudal, not tribal if that matters.) Only thing I can think of is because I also took Equality.

Not related but while I'm at it (and this has been happening since before Holy Fury) but many times after I invite lowborns with good traits/stats, they immediately die once they land in my court ("poor health" usually, but they have no disease traits.) It's too consistent to be random. Is there some hidden modifier or something that impacts this? (Too many lowborns already in court maybe? Almost all my commanders end up being lowborns, and I churn through a lot of commanders.)

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Blackluck posted:

Playing a shattered-realm, full random religion game as Kurdish-Tengri. I reformed Tengri, which gets Eternal Riders (polygamy + relentless.) Only my king doesn't have an option for secondary wives (his son and heir does however.) Anyone have any idea why? (I'm feudal, not tribal if that matters.) Only thing I can think of is because I also took Equality.

Not related but while I'm at it (and this has been happening since before Holy Fury) but many times after I invite lowborns with good traits/stats, they immediately die once they land in my court ("poor health" usually, but they have no disease traits.) It's too consistent to be random. Is there some hidden modifier or something that impacts this? (Too many lowborns already in court maybe? Almost all my commanders end up being lowborns, and I churn through a lot of commanders.)

It's this. The game culls your unlanded courtiers once you have too many of them.

Blackluck
Jun 26, 2012
Thanks - ironic that I had invited a bunch to hand out some counties. Guess I'll need to start managing my prisoner queue better since they appear to count against the cap.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Question: If you're playing an Animal Kingdoms game as a Lunatic Horse ruler, do you get an event to appoint a human named Glitterfoot to your council?

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm playing in Africa and am about to reform the religion. I just have to wait for a ruler to survive long enough to get the 750 piety. I plan on securing all of Africa for my realm, and then trying to put same-religion (hopefully same dynasty, but ya know how that goes) kingdoms neighboring me as buffer states. At that point I'm going to mainly focus on trying to get Africa's economy going, and prepare for the eventual Aztec invasion. I'm wondering what to take as my reformation picks.

For leadership, I'm torn between Temporal and Autonomous. I'd rather have the bonus to stewardship throughout the realm than the leadership powers and authority, but I hear there's issues with eldership succession and the autonomous reform. For the nature, I'm thinking of going with Unyielding. I want Peaceful but I'd rather not have to manually convert every province in Africa myself. For the doctrines, I'm a bit stumped.

Ancestor Veneration is something I want to go with to play around with the saints mechanic, as well as keep eldership. It seems like it'd pair a lot better with Temporal, so that I could be the person who chooses the saints. I want Divine Marriage for bloodline purposes, and Equality so that I can double the amount of people useful to me right away. Astrology would give access to the hermetics, which would be nice for times of peace, as well as just the basic buff from the birth sign.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Something I overlooked?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Autonomous seems to have no benefits over any sort of centralized church. I regret taking it. Astrology is mandatory for any run centered around development imo. The tech boosts from the hermetics can get absurd when you start stacking magnum opi, and starting at ground zero in Africa, you'll need a lot of tech.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

TTBF posted:

I'm playing in Africa and am about to reform the religion. I just have to wait for a ruler to survive long enough to get the 750 piety. I plan on securing all of Africa for my realm, and then trying to put same-religion (hopefully same dynasty, but ya know how that goes) kingdoms neighboring me as buffer states. At that point I'm going to mainly focus on trying to get Africa's economy going, and prepare for the eventual Aztec invasion. I'm wondering what to take as my reformation picks.

For leadership, I'm torn between Temporal and Autonomous. I'd rather have the bonus to stewardship throughout the realm than the leadership powers and authority, but I hear there's issues with eldership succession and the autonomous reform. For the nature, I'm thinking of going with Unyielding. I want Peaceful but I'd rather not have to manually convert every province in Africa myself. For the doctrines, I'm a bit stumped.

Ancestor Veneration is something I want to go with to play around with the saints mechanic, as well as keep eldership. It seems like it'd pair a lot better with Temporal, so that I could be the person who chooses the saints. I want Divine Marriage for bloodline purposes, and Equality so that I can double the amount of people useful to me right away. Astrology would give access to the hermetics, which would be nice for times of peace, as well as just the basic buff from the birth sign.

Any advice, suggestions, or recommendations? Something I overlooked?

If you're trying to turtle, waiting for the Aztecs, then Unyielding is definitely the right choice. Temporal is also a nice pick, for the reasons you mentioned. Autonomous gives 4 cool traits, but they have an opinion penalties for not having the same trait as you. Which is not good, since statistically, the majority of elders won't share the trait you picked.

Ancestor Veneration is very fitting for African pagans, so it's just a matter of choosing between Divine Marriage and Equality. I think Equality is the better pick, since it doubles the number of competent people you can pick for councilor or make your heirs. It's still very possible to breed bloodlines into your dynasty without divine marriages, you just need to wait an additional generation to get them into your line. And since there are only so many bloodlines to integrate, I think you will get a lot more out of Equality.

Edit: As Volkerball said, Hermetics are really powerful as well.I would definitely take Ancestor Veneration,for flavor only. But it's a tough choice between Equality and Astrology, and both together are likely stronger than one of them with Ancestor Worship. So keep that in mind.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I think I'm going to go with Unyielding-Temporal-Astrology-Ancestor Veneration. Equality is nice but I can eventually get its mechanics through normal gameplay while the other two introduces new mechanics to mess around with.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bakanogami posted:

Question: If you're playing an Animal Kingdoms game as a Lunatic Horse ruler, do you get an event to appoint a human named Glitterfoot to your council?

Unfortunately not. We need Groogy to get back on CK2 dev work so he can add more stuff like that.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
I'm about to reform Germanic as a Saxon. I'm I going to lose raiding once I reform as I'm not norse?

I'm thinking Warmongering, Astrology, Sons of Ragnarok and Temporal. Meritocracy and Equality look nice in place of Astrology but I do want those tech bonuses

Also Meritocracy overrides Gavelkind or is it just for your primary titles?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I will always hate the glitterhoof event because I hate the name of the horse. And there is only ever the one name.

Tormented posted:

I'm about to reform Germanic as a Saxon. I'm I going to lose raiding once I reform as I'm not norse?

You can also raid as long as you're tribal.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Well...huh. Trawling through the game files again. I picked ancestor worship in my hellenic pagan game to see what kind of pseudo-saintly bloodlines I could get, and was moderately disappointed when even after 20 blessed ancestors were decided upon, all of them had the exact same bloodline, giving a little prestige, a little combat ability, and periodic great warriors. I was then confused when, checking through 01_saintly_bloodlines, I saw that they coded six different saintly bloodlines for every pagan faith, giving much the same spread of outcomes as catholic saints. They're integrated into the canonization events and everything. Surely it's a bug?

Turns out...no? Maybe? Despite all the support for reformed paganism in the canonization event chain, they are totally blocked from it with a simple "religion_group = christian" pre-trigger in the very first event of the chain, the one that fires on the death of a potential saint. Instead they follow a different chain entirely, which gives out what is effectively a much smaller set of more generic bloodlines. (There's one that's always available, one that's available only to bastards, one to bon or nomadic tengri, one to nomads, one to people following tanistry, one to people with a viking trait, and one to duelists). Effectively pagans will just see that first one over and over again. Kinda disappointing. I guess I might be able to mod the ancestor worship chain to use the other six when appropriate, though...

Tormented posted:

I'm thinking Warmongering, Astrology, Sons of Ragnarok and Temporal. Meritocracy and Equality look nice in place of Astrology but I do want those tech bonuses

Also Meritocracy overrides Gavelkind or is it just for your primary titles?
As long as you don't pick the Peaceful nature for your reformed faith, you'll be able to raid, even if the unreformed faith couldn't. All other natures enable raiding.

Broken Cog posted:

The main thing which was not made obvious in the dev diaries is that matrilineal marriages transfer all bloodlines to the children from both parents, rather than just reversing the normal rules.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Nov 28, 2018

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I will always hate the glitterhoof event because I hate the name of the horse. And there is only ever the one name.

There are a rather large number of horse cultured names, so you just need to get him landed and generate more horse courtiers.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Charlz Guybon posted:

Anyone got that event from the Dev diaries where an evil pope makes an open cannibal kinslayer a saint and plunges Catholicsm into a continent wide civil war? Is that event chain working?

Sure did. It wasn't a cannibal kinslayer, but it was a drunken possessed kinslayer. The Christian Khagan went to war against the pope to get him to gently caress off.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Torrannor posted:

It's this. The game culls your unlanded courtiers once you have too many of them.

oh, so this is why the retirement home strategy works so well

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

unless i've somehow stayed norse the whole time and never noticed, i was sure you could still raid as reformed germanic regardless of culture or government type

e; beat

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

Come to think of it it is surprising that they had the Stellaris fox portraits and didn't add fox people to animal kingdoms.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

SlothfulCobra posted:

There's also Horse M.D.

I'm 40 years into my current CK2 game and things have taken weird turns already. East Francia took over everything as one might expect, but it's not run by any descendant of Karl or Karloman yet is still Karlings. I have no idea. Byzantium decided to move their capital to Italy. Denmark took all of Scandinavia and reformed the Germanic religion 15 years in.

Meanwhile I was just trying to do quickly do the United the Kingdoms achievement. The new tribal retinues are OP AF for that, a 2400 standing army just rolls over everything in the earliest bookmark.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 28, 2018

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007

axeil posted:

Oh and the Saoshyant was also the head of the Satanists which I found highly amusing.

My first game after Holy Fury came out, I reformed the Germanic faith while first in line to lead the brotherhood of Hel. I'm still amazed I was able to get the piety together before he died, since he was 64 at the time.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

THE BAR posted:

Women can't be the Kwisatz Haderach! She's abomination!

The original Bene Gesserit plan was for a woman to access the genetic memories of both lineages! Abominations are women who awaken to their memories in the womb because it fucks their psyches up.

:spergin:

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Charlz Guybon posted:

I've seen the "Pope made a bad saint" event pop up although I don't recall there really being much in the way of consequences for it when it happened.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Started as Pictland in Charlemange start, married the princess of the byzantine empire. When my son came of age and was my leader, for some reason my mother (who went back home after being married to the king of East Francia) was suddenly my heir which wasn't great because she wasn't of my dynasty. She was also now the empress of the byzantines through some process I'm still not quite sure and after she suddenly died I inherited the county of Constantinople. Three cheers for the scots?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I wish baptisms popped up better. I also wish I could handle the baptism of my grandkids while I'm at it.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

The pope made my mom a saint about a year after she was beatified and now I have a cool bloodline. It was while I was fighting a holy war on his behalf, freeing an Italian duchy from the heretic HREmperor for the benefit of the papal state. It's what it took to get the pope to crown me.

Sadly becoming a saint swapped out her cool Outremer headdress for the boring French one she had as a young woman.

Playing as a genuine crusader king is so cool guys
Pagans cannot compare

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Also every character I play ends up either fat or malnourished. No half measures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Half of my character seems to end up with cancer, the other half live a life of stress and depression.