Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Most of the time our basement is ok, except apparently when we have heavy rainfall/snow melt; we're currently getting puddling that is draining into our sump and getting pumped out. The walls are fieldstone. I realized that when the PO redid the roofing they left the downspouts just dumping against the wall, so I have fitted some extenders and tubing to direct that out away from the house, but I think by the time we did that the ground was already pretty saturated; so it hasn't solved the issue. I'd like to at least improve the way it drains (it currently just sort of wiggles around the floor before making its way to the sump) and at least find out if we can do something exterior.

Out of curiosity, how close was too close for doing exterior work? We're fine on three sides, but one side of the house is about 4 feet from the neighbors fencing and that might be an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Ashcans posted:

Out of curiosity, how close was too close for doing exterior work? We're fine on three sides, but one side of the house is about 4 feet from the neighbors fencing and that might be an issue.

Our house has about a four foot setback from the houses on either side. Not the property line, the other houses themselves. Our stairwell is a bumpout, so looking out those windows is like "oh no they've made a change to the Matrix!". Also we have both a front and back porch, so that complicates things too.

So yeah, unfeasible and too risky to do exterior excavation for us. We'd all be hosed forever if something were to happen to one of the neighboring houses due to our excavation work.

If you're four feet from the property line and the neighbor's house is further away, might be doable (they have skinny little trenchers that can dig a trench six feet deep and a foot wide), but get some consultations from basement companies.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

We also have an old house with a stone foundation that weeps a lot when it rains. So far the best thing we've done was dump a shitload of top soil around the parameter of the house and it's dramatically reduced the amount of water coming in.

Sharparoni
Jan 11, 2004

THE MOST EXCITING MASCOT IN THE LAST 4000 YEARS OF COLLEGE SPORTS

I have also been bitten by the dead water heater bug and now Christmas is cancelled for the next three years

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
I need help troubleshooting. We hadn't used our fireplace since we moved in, but decided this winter that we want to. I haven't built a fireplace fire since I was a kid, and that was just helping so I'm pretty inexperienced.

Long story short: Used fireplace, and house filled with smoke. It's a gas **assist fireplace. Chimney was inspected/swept 3 days ago. Yes, flue was open. Only used 3 small branches/logs from a Bradford Pear tree. The logs had been sitting decoratively on a firewood rack indoors next to the fireplace the whole time. Internet says its wood is fine for firewood. We poked the branches around to be sure they weren't creating little smoldering smokey spots. It wasn't really a visible stream of smoke, but more like an ever increasing haze. It was bad enough that it set off the smoke alarm and we had to leave all the windows open for a few hours.

Current plan is to install some glass fireplace doors to help contain if it happens again, but I remember as a kid sitting next to an open fireplace and not turning the whole room hazy. I'm obviously missing something. WTF did I do?

edit: forgot a detail: When trying to create an updraft we just left the gas on for a bit, assuming that would heat the air upwards enough. Is that not good enough, is balled up newspaper pretty much required?

**gas assist fireplace, with log lighter, from my googling for terminology

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 20, 2018

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

I need help troubleshooting. We hadn't used our fireplace since we moved in, but decided this winter that we want to. I haven't built a fireplace fire since I was a kid, and that was just helping so I'm pretty inexperienced.

Long story short: Used fireplace, and house filled with smoke. It's a gas fireplace. Chimney was inspected/swept 3 days ago. Yes, flue was open. Only used 3 small branches/logs from a Bradford Pear tree. The logs had been sitting decoratively on a firewood rack indoors next to the fireplace the whole time. Internet says its wood is fine for firewood. We poked the branches around to be sure they weren't creating little smoldering smokey spots. It wasn't really a visible stream of smoke, but more like an ever increasing haze. It was bad enough that it set off the smoke alarm and we had to leave all the windows open for a few hours.

Current plan is to install some glass fireplace doors to help contain if it happens again, but I remember as a kid sitting next to an open fireplace and not turning the whole room hazy. I'm obviously missing something. WTF did I do?

edit: forgot a detail: When trying to create an updraft we just left the gas on for a bit, assuming that would heat the air upwards enough. Is that not good enough, is balled up newspaper pretty much required?

Don't put wood in a gas fireplace. You use decorative gas fireplace logs.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

H110Hawk posted:

Don't put wood in a gas fireplace. You use decorative gas fireplace logs.

JFC, this is a great way to burn your house down if that was installed as a gas-only fireplace rather than a conversion. Those things are not meant to handle wood.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Holy crap

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

You almost burned your house down!

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Suck it electrical wiring thread!!

Queen Victorian
Feb 21, 2018

Guys, "gas fireplace" can be one of two things, and only one makes drat Bananas a blithering idiot. There's the gas insert type with fake logs, which is what most people associate "gas fireplace" with, and then there's a regular wood-burning fireplace that has a simple perforated gas line in it for augmenting/starting your wood log fires (my parents have these and they own).

I HOPE he was talking about the latter type of gas fireplace and not a fake log insert. :ohdear:

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Yeah, sorry for my lack of terminology... it's the perforated-gas-line wood-putting-in type model. I wasn't sure if it could be called "wood-burning" if it has a gas line. Please chill yall's heart attacks.

edit: gas assisted starter, log lighter, etc.

Damn Bananas fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Nov 20, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

To create a draft you need lots of heat going up the chimney, and then the combustibles in the fire will draw oxygen in and heat up exhaust gasses to continue the flow. But a lot of things affect this, like especially the geometry of the fireplace itself - depth and height of the firebox, condition of the chimney, etc. It could be that you just have a lovely, poorly-designed fireplace that will never draw well, or it could be your fire is too far forwards, or you need to restrict the entrance with some kind of door, or your flue isn't opening all the way, or there's a structure at the top of the chimney that is preventing crosswind from helping to increase draw, or who knows.

Realistically if you're already using the gas assist to get heat going and a flow of air and it's still filling your house with smoke, I doubt anyone here can help until you take extensive photos of the fireplace, the top of your chimney, etc. It might be easier to talk to your chimney expert - whoever just cleaned it - and get advice tailored to your particular situation.

In the end it's possible that you just don't have a good fireplace, and having a wood fire means some smoke in the house.

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Thank you! I'll give the chimney guy a call back, see if he remembers anything that struck him as difficult to get a draft up there. I'll be putting doors on it soon, and I'll keep in mind to make sure the fire isn't too far forward. I guess if it's a lovely design flaw then oh well, at least it's a pretty fireplace.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

drat Bananas posted:

Thank you! I'll give the chimney guy a call back, see if he remembers anything that struck him as difficult to get a draft up there. I'll be putting doors on it soon, and I'll keep in mind to make sure the fire isn't too far forward. I guess if it's a lovely design flaw then oh well, at least it's a pretty fireplace.

How old is the house out of curiosity? Could you take a quick picture of the fireplace?

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

H110Hawk posted:

How old is the house out of curiosity? Could you take a quick picture of the fireplace?

Built in 1992. I can't right now, I'm at work but I'll try to remember when I get home.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

drat Bananas posted:

Built in 1992. I can't right now, I'm at work but I'll try to remember when I get home.

How could you forget the day your house almost burned down on the internet?

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
So I bought a leaf blower/vacuum mulcher and used it to suck up and bag 9 bags of leaves today. Best purchase ever. It used up half as many bags, with half the effort, and three times as quick as raking and bagging by hand.

e: The only "issue" is that it dumps the mulched leaves into a bag you carry on your shoulder which works fine but it's annoying to stop every once in a while, dump it, and start back up. I got one of the kits that let you dump the leaves into a 55 gallon trash can, and I'm going to try and modify it to dump directly into my city-required paper bags to expedite everything.

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 25, 2018

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

I had one of those at a previous place and they are pretty decent.

But more trees = bigger hammer:

This thing has been working out great. I'm estimating the pile of mulched leaves is around 8 yards by now. I'll probably get it to 10 by the time all the leaves are down.

I'm gonna have a lot of compost.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Is there a way I can insulate this lovely old window in my bathroom?

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Something I wasnt expecting to happen in the fall/winter - cave crickets in the basement. Time to burn the house down

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

enraged_camel posted:

Is there a way I can insulate this lovely old window in my bathroom?

Temporarily or permanently? The window insulation kits like this are great for drafty windows: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Indoor-Window-Insulator-5-Window/dp/B00002NCJI

But they're not really meant to be up for more then a season.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

devicenull posted:

Temporarily or permanently? The window insulation kits like this are great for drafty windows: https://www.amazon.com/3M-Indoor-Window-Insulator-5-Window/dp/B00002NCJI

But they're not really meant to be up for more then a season.

Yeah, I think my issue is that the glass and the metal frame get really cold/hot and I lose/gain heat that way. I haven't really noticed draft.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Sepist posted:

Something I wasnt expecting to happen in the fall/winter - cave crickets in the basement. Time to burn the house down

Noooooo

those things freaked me the gently caress out as a kid, and I really don't wish to encounter them as an adult

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
A big rear end tree branch that's been stuck up in the canopy for as long as I've owned the house decided to finally descent and now it's resting on the power line service drop to my neighbors house that's over my property. It doesn't appear to be interfering with their service, and it's low enough that I can get to it with my ladder and sawzall it apart pretty easily but I have no idea how to go about getting the power disconnected temporarily so I can do it. I'll obviously have to ask my neighbor about it before I do anything, but do I or my neighbor call their power company and just ask them to disconnect power for a couple hours, or how does that work? Does it cost money? Goon advice please.

e: big rear end tree branch *for Texas. It's probably only 6-8" in diameter.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SpartanIvy posted:

A big rear end tree branch that's been stuck up in the canopy for as long as I've owned the house decided to finally descent and now it's resting on the power line service drop to my neighbors house that's over my property. It doesn't appear to be interfering with their service, and it's low enough that I can get to it with my ladder and sawzall it apart pretty easily but I have no idea how to go about getting the power disconnected temporarily so I can do it. I'll obviously have to ask my neighbor about it before I do anything, but do I or my neighbor call their power company and just ask them to disconnect power for a couple hours, or how does that work? Does it cost money? Goon advice please.

e: big rear end tree branch *for Texas. It's probably only 6-8" in diameter.

Call the power company. They will probably do thr cutting for you.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
That was the first thing I tried. They confirmed it was between the pole and the house, not a pole and a pole, and that it was not sparking or otherwise immediately dangerous and then told me it was "the homeowners problem"

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

SpartanIvy posted:

That was the first thing I tried. They confirmed it was between the pole and the house, not a pole and a pole, and that it was not sparking or otherwise immediately dangerous and then told me it was "the homeowners problem"

THat's strange. Here they have a little more interest in not having someone get shocked to death I guess.

I guess call them again and ask how to get power to that line shut off. you would PROBABLY be OK to get after it yourself without having it shut off first if the line isn't damaged, etc, but on the off chance there is something wrong, I would want them to shut it off. I bet they will charge you something for it.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

therobit posted:

THat's strange. Here they have a little more interest in not having someone get shocked to death I guess.

I guess call them again and ask how to get power to that line shut off. you would PROBABLY be OK to get after it yourself without having it shut off first if the line isn't damaged, etc, but on the off chance there is something wrong, I would want them to shut it off. I bet they will charge you something for it.
After googling it, it's apparently a toss up whether a power company considers the run from the pole to the house their responsibility or not. Mine (Oncor) does not.

I'm definitely not getting near it without the power being shut off.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

SpartanIvy posted:

After googling it, it's apparently a toss up whether a power company considers the run from the pole to the house their responsibility or not. Mine (Oncor) does not.

Are you SURE you didn't see a spark? Because I am pretty sure you saw a spark. I would sooner hit it with a flame thrower than gently caress with unfused power.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Yea I got cave crickets in my newly owned basement as well... assuming I should just go crazy with the ortho home defense sprayer.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just bash them with a steel brush on a pole when I see them.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

I think I'd rather have cave crickets than the loving house centipedes that speed around my basement.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Nov 28, 2018

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

SpartanIvy posted:

I wouldn't get near it period. Hire a tree service, let them figure it out. Even if their solution ends up being "we managed to convince the power company to deal with it", that's still worth money.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I called again and managed to convince the power company to come out and take care of it.

E: nevermind they called me back and said it's not their problem

SpartanIvy fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Nov 28, 2018

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
Glue traps are a excellent (but gross) solution for cave crickets. Scatter a couple of them around the basement where you think the fuckers might be coming in from, and you will see almost immediate results.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
You shoulda just said you saw some smoke from the tree. That got the power company out to my neighbor's house real fast last summer.

It was true in that case but that's beside the point.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
Oh sure commit wire fraud.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Voodoo posted:

Glue traps are a excellent (but gross) solution for cave crickets. Scatter a couple of them around the basement where you think the fuckers might be coming in from, and you will see almost immediate results.
Make sure you aren't putting these anywhere your possible pets go, though, because if your cat (etc) takes a swat at a trapped cricket now you're going to the vet.

Also think about whether you might have mice/rats/etc around that you don't know about, because they'll also get stuck in glue traps and that can be pretty horrifying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Ashcans posted:

Make sure you aren't putting these anywhere your possible pets go, though, because if your cat (etc) takes a swat at a trapped cricket now you're going to the vet.

Also think about whether you might have mice/rats/etc around that you don't know about, because they'll also get stuck in glue traps and that can be pretty horrifying.

Make sure you use super thick trash bags if you do, or only clean them up the same day your garbage is picked up so the horror is carted off same day.