Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Money? Yes.

Self-improvement? No.

We are on the same page.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

i mean when was this change meant to have occurred? it's been a joke in the industry for over a decade

Thankfully for me (a CEH haver) the people that hire me are not in "the industry" so when I get introduced as a "certified ethical hacker" it's like, only 75% they'll laugh at me and not 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I'm not really into developing, so I'd never read this, but this just furthers my notion that all information on the internet is compromised

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ever since I read npm can deliver different code than what's on git (which the author has written about and thus gained my trust) I have been trying to enact devs/it that use npm to do git pulls instead. It's lovely but npm started it !!

edit: it's easier than you would think to do and the dev just sets the requirements like always.

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Nov 28, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

GDPR is gonna be so fun for regulators

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

orange sky posted:

:bisonyes:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

orange sky posted:

The only thing wrong with this is how small the fines were.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

orange sky posted:

No sign to tell people they are being video'd in public, good job EU.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

orange sky posted:

More moooore

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

orange sky posted:

This is truly beautiful.

edit: Uber

ChubbyThePhat fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 28, 2018

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Nalin posted:

See: uBlock vs uBlock Origin

Thanks for this, I was wondering about the name.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Rufus Ping posted:

the option is still showing up for me in the bottom right corner of my.1password.com when I log in

I think you need to be an individual or family subscriber (not 'teams') whose plan expiry date is in 2019 or later

Thanks!

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

should I switch from my perpetual 1password lic to the subscription

Evis
Feb 28, 2007
Flying Spaghetti Monster

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

Why would you want to?

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Evis posted:

Why would you want to?

Watchtower

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Volmarias posted:

The only thing wrong with this is how small the fines were.
:gritin:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

NevergirlsOFFICIAL posted:

probably depends what devices you use it on

standalone is okay for a single computer but if you want it on a second one or a phone then syncing and backing up is easier with the subscription version

also if you want to get your family in on it and share passwords with them it's the way to go

if otoh you desperately want to avoid the cloud and want to save $5/mo don't bother

The Fool posted:

Watchtower

bit of a gimmick; just sign up for haveibeenpwned instead

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

https://www.dell.com/learn/us/en/uscorp1/press-releases/2018-11-28-customer-update

quote:

Dell is announcing that on November 9, 2018, it detected and disrupted unauthorized activity on its network attempting to extract Dell.com customer information, which was limited to names, email addresses and hashed passwords.

dumpster_fire.jpg

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib
The bar is so low that I'm somewhat impressed they caught it while it was happening, as opposed to nine months later

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Rufus Ping posted:

bit of a gimmick; just sign up for haveibeenpwned instead

HIBP doesn't have a signup for their password service, and I have no interest in using something outside of my password manager to check for compromised passwords.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

The Fool posted:

HIBP doesn't have a signup for their password service, and I have no interest in using something outside of my password manager to check for compromised passwords.

Use their API to send only the first 5 characters of your password's sha-1 hash, if your password is compromised it'll return the whole hash

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

The Fool posted:

HIBP doesn't have a signup for their password service,

right yeah fair enough

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

orange sky posted:

Use their API to send only the first 5 characters of your password's sha-1 hash, if your password is compromised it'll return the whole hash

I understand that this is an option, but there are a ton of people that are not going to do that or are unable to do that.

FWIW, this is what Watchtower is doing when it checks your passwords.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I see you.

Sennheiser discloses monumental blunder that cripples HTTPS on PCs and Macs
Poorly secured certificate lets hackers impersonate any website on the Internet.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

I had to make sure this was installed nowhere in my org this morning. Thankfully nobody has sidestepped their inability to do so (in this exact case anyways).

apseudonym
Feb 25, 2011

Allowing adding trust anchors is bad and continues to be bad. :colbert:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Sure!

https://twitter.com/mikefarrell/status/1068201117245292549

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

hack the matress. or news at 11, can hackers turn your matress into a bomb stayed tuned after the break.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/sleepnumber/status/1068297192941600768

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008

wargames posted:

hack the matress. or news at 11, can hackers turn your matress into a bomb stayed tuned after the break.

Hackers can turn your matress into a hell trap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7t6S6vg6U8

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Are they talking about the app then? Someone wrote, very specifically, that there is audio recording enough to require a bullet point.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Guy Axlerod posted:

Hackers can turn your matress into a hell trap.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W7t6S6vg6U8

NSFL this

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/br_/status/1068555698844254208

https://twitter.com/br_/status/1068557092225597440

https://twitter.com/br_/status/1068558010958589953

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Remember, this is the same company that was knocking people’s mobile hotspots out of the air to force them to use their pay-to-access guest network at conferences and hotels. And got slapped by the FCC for $600K fine.

The hilarious thing is I know the product they used and the vendor SPECIFICALLY told them using that particular feature in the way they wanted was illegal and HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Proteus Jones posted:

Remember, this is the same company that was knocking people’s mobile hotspots out of the air to force them to use their pay-to-access guest network at conferences and hotels. And got slapped by the FCC for $600K fine.

The hilarious thing is I know the product they used and the vendor SPECIFICALLY told them using that particular feature in the way they wanted was illegal and HIGHLY NOT RECOMMENDED.

Oh no, not 600k.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sickening posted:

Oh no, not 600k.

I agree it’s not a lot, but would you rather $0?

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

Proteus Jones posted:

To be fair it was precisely one property that did this and like most chain hotels was actually a franchise location owned by someone else that Marriott started managing about a year before the complaint. But since Marriott was paid to operate it at the time of the complaint they got to eat the fine.

And this recent breach actually started well before Marriott enter the picture. It started in 2014 when Starwood was its own company; Marriott agreed to acquire them in 2015, and the breach was finally detected a couple weeks after they finally merged the two reward programs into one back in August/September.

I guess I’m basically saying Marriott keeps getting screwed by their acquisitions.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Sounds more like they don't do adequate due diligence.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

fordan posted:

To be fair it was precisely one property that did this and like most chain hotels was actually a franchise location owned by someone else that Marriott started managing about a year before the complaint. But since Marriott was paid to operate it at the time of the complaint they got to eat the fine.

And this recent breach actually started well before Marriott enter the picture. It started in 2014 when Starwood was its own company; Marriott agreed to acquire them in 2015, and the breach was finally detected a couple weeks after they finally merged the two reward programs into one back in August/September.

I guess I’m basically saying Marriott keeps getting screwed by their acquisitions.
https://twitter.com/malwrhunterteam/status/881089396124078080

orange sky
May 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/jk1645/status/881096562633527297?s=19

That dude's bio.. he must be having a couple of lovely days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

fordan posted:

They were *caught* doing it at one property, and it’s naive to think it only happened at one property. They had inquired about the ability to do it years prior and vendor said they would not manage or configure it that way for them because the way they wanted to use is illegal in the US. This was Marriott that asked,so claiming they inherited it is misleading. I was on the periphery of these discussions.

Here’s a link to the complaint available in PDF, DOC or TXT formats:

https://www.fcc.gov/document/marriott-pay-600k-resolve-wifi-blocking-investigation

Edited to clear up a misread of your post on my part.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Dec 1, 2018