Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's just a shame because that's a really cool concept in theory and the actual writing doesn't do any justice to that because he gets way less screen time than any other main villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, Diavolo is basically just like

It's like if someone decided that they wanted to reject their humanity in entirety and become a force of nature, something with no ties back to humans in any way, shape, or form, something that could live and control from the top and be recognized as this controlling force without actually having to exist in that position physically.

It's like he is directly attempting to become just like Fate and Gravity.

In practice though he just this weird, incoherent goober who keeps yelling I WILL BE THE EMPEROR after icing the only really interesting thing about him (Doppio).

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Funky Valentine posted:

In practice though he just this weird, incoherent goober who keeps yelling I WILL BE THE EMPEROR after icing the only really interesting thing about him (Doppio).

When you put it like that, it sounds like he's a prototype for Valentine, who had similarly high and bizarre ambitions, and a weird catchphrase, but was developed enough to be interesting on his own.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
it is interesting that his stand perhaps most closely ties into the idea from Diamond is Unbreakable that your stand is based off your needs

The dude wants to erase the past and his stand literally does that

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

It's just a shame because that's a really cool concept in theory and the actual writing doesn't do any justice to that because he gets way less screen time than any other main villain.

Ehhhh...he gets more than Dio SC (not really the same character as he was in PB), but it matters if you accept that Doppio counts as part of him too or not.

I like Diavolo + Doppio but not just Diavolo as a villain, if that makes sense.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's a shame that yeah, Doppio is hundreds of times more interesting and entertaining than Diavolo. The "phone calls" are gonna be so good in the anime, and the toy phone on the plane is one of my favourite sight gags in JoJo history.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I started reading Steel Ball Run, what's the deal with the string from the zombie horse?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Tokelau All Star posted:

I started reading Steel Ball Run, what's the deal with the string from the zombie horse?

Araki needed a healing stand and zombie thread was what he landed on

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
there's a very simple explanation for that, which is

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Tokelau All Star posted:

It's Italian Magic, just like the spin, don't worry about it.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
you're all wrong it's string theory.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Tokelau All Star posted:

Dude I honestly I have no loving idea, it baffles the poo poo out of me

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Tokelau All Star posted:

Simple.
The King of Italy sent a guy to America to make a horse-shaped mural out of string, so that Gyro could then find it and use it as sutures.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

it's very obvious

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
Wasn't it put there by someone helping out Gyro or something. As for how it works, it makes slightly more sense than shoving Plankton in the wounds.

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Momomo posted:

Wasn't it put there by someone helping out Gyro or something. As for how it works, it makes slightly more sense than shoving Plankton in the wounds.

the line is "someone has prepare a zombie horse for you down the road. Use it on your journey." which always made me question that there's more than one? but yeah i think it's just an arakism.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
How old was Diavolo meant to be anyway? I never really thought about it but i assumed early 20s, however thinknig aobut it Trish is his daughter so that can't be right. So i guess 30s? But Doppio looks like a 14 year old so who knows.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Born in 1967, it's 2001 so 33 or 34

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

CJ posted:

How old was Diavolo meant to be anyway? I never really thought about it but i assumed early 20s, however thinknig aobut it Trish is his daughter so that can't be right. So i guess 30s? But Doppio looks like a 14 year old so who knows.

Doppio is the same as Diavolo but his half of the split personality doesn't age, so he's supposed to look about 15 to 17 years old.

zetamind2000 fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Nov 28, 2018

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
And then later they just use regular thread so I assume it's like "use a bit of zombie horse to make any thread work" or whatever

Also it is very important to remember that the king was Neapolitan!!

Don't say Italian, dammit!!

Funky Valentine posted:

Yeah, that is basically the issue with him. Araki presented him exactly how Diavolo would want himself presented and, as a result, we end up with this mysterious hodgepodge of elements that contradict one another, with all 4 forms he shows up in being different (scraggly and robed, silhouetted, Doppio, and Diavolo), and as a result we never get a good read on him as anything other than a guy actively trying to erase his past. It's hard to care unless you begin to ignore him as a character entirely, which is basically what he wants. He doesn't want to be a character, he wants to be a force, so it works better to read him based on what his influence rather than on what he is as an actual person, but it's not nearly as satisfying since they still need to fight him and there's just not enough to Diavolo on his own to make him, in a vacuum, all that interesting, since all of the most interesting things about him tend to be things related to him in some way rather than being specifically regarding him.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
I don't mind Diavolo's shirt but i hate his stupid hair with spots on it.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
I love his hair and that Doppio receives Epitaph's future sight through the light coming through his bangs. It's so dumb

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, Diavolo is basically just like

It's like if someone decided that they wanted to reject their humanity in entirety and become a force of nature, something with no ties back to humans in any way, shape, or form, something that could live and control from the top and be recognized as this controlling force without actually having to exist in that position physically.

It's like he is directly attempting to become just like Fate and Gravity.

FirstAidKite posted:

Yeah, that is basically the issue with him. Araki presented him exactly how Diavolo would want himself presented and, as a result, we end up with this mysterious hodgepodge of elements that contradict one another, with all 4 forms he shows up in being different (scraggly and robed, silhouetted, Doppio, and Diavolo), and as a result we never get a good read on him as anything other than a guy actively trying to erase his past. It's hard to care unless you begin to ignore him as a character entirely, which is basically what he wants. He doesn't want to be a character, he wants to be a force, so it works better to read him based on what his influence rather than on what he is as an actual person, but it's not nearly as satisfying since they still need to fight him and there's just not enough to Diavolo on his own to make him, in a vacuum, all that interesting, since all of the most interesting things about him tend to be things related to him in some way rather than being specifically regarding him.
this is a really good read on Diavolo that I've never considered before, thank you

I know we've said this a million times, but boy this adaption is really going to give Part 5 the respect it deserves

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Hopefully it makes the ending less poo poo because it soured me on JoJo so much that i skipped to part 7 for the reboot and i've still never read part 6.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
I'm getting to the end of part 6 and some of the stand abilities are just ridiculous. loving snails.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm really digging Steel Ball Run so far, I'm up to Diego turning into a raptor. I'm curious though as to what the reaction to it was like when it first came out.

Personally, I found the first stage to be exhilarating. I'm amazed at how well the artwork conveys the breakneck speed of the race. So much so that I half wish it was all just about a straight up horse race.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Zerilan posted:

I'm getting to the end of part 6 and some of the stand abilities are just ridiculous. loving snails.

Not just snails, but a massive array of rainbows through which the light is causing hypnosis and hallucination on a massive scale, hypnosis that leads to people believing that they have become snails and that everything is becoming snails and that they are being eaten by snail-eating creatures

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
Just finished 6. poo poo escalated loving quickly.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

CJ posted:

Hopefully it makes the ending less poo poo because it soured me on JoJo so much that i skipped to part 7 for the reboot and i've still never read part 6.

Considering part 5 has absolutely nothing to do with part 6 at all you pretty much skipped it for nothing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Zerilan posted:

Just finished 6. poo poo escalated loving quickly.
it's so good

it veers into urban fantasy with how absolutely fantastical everyone's abilities are in the last arc

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
All of DIO's kids are pretty overpowered, but my personal favorites of Part 6 are "Jolyne Gets Run Over by the Miami Dolphins" and "Where the gently caress is Mickey".

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place
my worldview changed forever when i realized that while annasui is freaking out about mickey, he's reading a guidebook for universal studios, not disney

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

somepartsareme posted:

my worldview changed forever when i realized that while annasui is freaking out about mickey, he's reading a guidebook for universal studios, not disney

I just looked this up and you're right, he is looking at Universal. I'm not sure what to do with this information.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BaDandy posted:

All of DIO's kids are pretty overpowered, but my personal favorites of Part 6 are "Jolyne Gets Run Over by the Miami Dolphins" and "Where the gently caress is Mickey".

God, Anasui getting his rear end kicked by the collective Disney canon is so loving choice.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Momomo posted:

Considering part 5 has absolutely nothing to do with part 6 at all you pretty much skipped it for nothing

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Momomo posted:

I just looked this up and you're right, he is looking at Universal. I'm not sure what to do with this information.
there's no new info to gain, anasui is a huge dumbass, we knew this

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 29, 2018

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

somepartsareme posted:

This is the greatest revelation I've ever seen today. Thank you.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Momomo posted:

He's an idiot who gets clowned on again and again

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

We may not have gotten Mickey, but at least we got Spider-Man's hand and Astro Boy.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/206962307148808192/517552806354485258/menacing.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
If Josuke changed his last name to Joestar would he be JoJoJo?