Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Sounds like you’re all forgetting the biggest media franchise of all: the holy bible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Weedle posted:

Sounds like you’re all forgetting the biggest media franchise of all: the holy bible

gotta crucify em all!

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I wonder how many variants on the Tokemon shirt that have pikachu smoking a J and like, he has a gun or huge balls or something I've seen over the years

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

s.i.r.e. posted:

I didn't even think the Merch was that expansive for Pokémon, like, I know it's gigantic but I see Star Wars stuff more than anything else. That's loving nuts.

Pokemon is also huge in a lot of other spaces like the TCG or obviously Pokémon Go.

It’s easy to forget Pokémon has had the #2 TCG on the market since the 90s. For long stretches of time Pokemon was known to mainstream audiences for the card game, not the video games. I’d have to assume that adds up.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

BisterdDave posted:

gotta crucify em all!

For thine is the Kingdom Hearts, the Power Stone, and the Quest for Glory, for ever and ever. Amen.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

BGrifter posted:

Pokemon is also huge in a lot of other spaces like the TCG or obviously Pokémon Go.

It’s easy to forget Pokémon has had the #2 TCG on the market since the 90s. For long stretches of time Pokemon was known to mainstream audiences for the card game, not the video games. I’d have to assume that adds up.

I'm curious what the breakdown on collectors vs. players looks like, when I was in elementary school pretty much everyone was the former and wouldn't take the cards out of their little binder sleeves except to play with the holographic ones

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Weedle posted:

The first Gatcha.

Burnt Poffin
Oct 10, 2012
Decided to go for some eShop deals and picked up DOOM, South Park: Stick of Truth, Lego Incredibles, Gear.Club, and.... Skyrim.

This is the fifth time since 11-11-11 I've bought Skyrim... I have a problem. Hell, if they ever put Skyrim on gog, I'd probably buy it again. :negative:

Also had to pick up a 400 GB sd card from Amazon, since all those downloads left me with about 11GB left on my original card.

Now to wait for the pre-Christmas sales. :shepspends:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

CYBEReris posted:

I'm curious what the breakdown on collectors vs. players looks like, when I was in elementary school pretty much everyone was the former and wouldn't take the cards out of their little binder sleeves except to play with the holographic ones

I have no idea, although I can say the TCG online is fun and super cheap.

They must be doing well for Walmart to feature tins of Pokémon cards on a special display by the check outs over Black Friday weekend. Even if it’s just steady sales across multiple decades it’s significant, over $10 billion dollars if that Wikipedia article is accurate.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

CYBEReris posted:

Everyone at my school back in the day was both. The TCG is really fun. I like playing it occasionally on PC but it’s mind blowing to me that it’s not on Switch.:bang:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I used to only collected cards as a kid. The TCG I played was Digimon...Street Battle.

Weedle posted:

Pokemon is bigger than Jesus

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
Jesus needs to step his game up or he's gonna lose market share to the cult of Arceus

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Please stop buying Skyrim goddamit people do I need to found Skyrim Anonymous?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Gonkish posted:

It's perfect on the Switch, holy poo poo.

Get used to saying this.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
If I saw Skyrim for the Switch for $20, I would consider it. I'd justify it by saying I never did play through the dragonborn DLC, even though I know goddamned well I wont play it this time either :geno:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
fr the switch has eclipsed my ps4 and rivals my pc for gaming time. Being able to play on the go is seriously that good

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

punk rebel ecks posted:

Do the Nintendo Switch had the best five days ever in Nintendo history.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181128005283/en/Nintendo-Hits-Big-Milestones-Thanksgiving-Cyber-Monday

The system is a monster.

No, listen to the real experts. Nintendo is doomed.

https://twitter.com/ynakamura56/status/1067589315264307200

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Cut the price by 33% because you sold 30m instead of 37m (or whatever it ends up being) ? What?

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Wait so is Morgan Chase selling Switches now, what's the deal

Cable
Dec 20, 2005

it'll come like a wind.
I read somewhere that Minit had a sound-breaking bug on Switch. Does anyone know if this has been fixed?

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008
I honestly do expect some sort of price drop next year. It's been out for a couple years now and after this holiday season anybody who wants a switch but is still holding out genuinely just doesn't want to pull the trigger at $300.

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

punk rebel ecks posted:

Whether or not you think you were being hyperbolic, you are correct.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_highest-grossing_media_franchises

huh, so evangerlion made most of its money from panchinko.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

“Business” analysts are always dumb and wrong about literally everything.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.

Dr Cheeto posted:

Wait so is Morgan Chase selling Switches now, what's the deal

Yeah, this was my first immediate thought too.

Pretty sure that's just each bank or whatever's predicted Switch sales compared to Nintendo's goal. I think they expected another Wii level boom and now that it's not quite expected to be at that level the console is a complete failure. It's dumb.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

LethalGeek posted:

Cut the price by 33% because you sold 30m instead of 37m (or whatever it ends up being) ? What?

Short-term gains are better than long-term gains everyone knows that.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I think I've seen this answered before, but I'm paranoid, so:

If I'm upgrading to a new SD card, can I just put the new one in and let the Switch re-download all of the games? I don't have enough free space on my PC to copy the files over.

Are there any saves on the SD card, or are they all on internal storage?

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
There's a time and place for short term gains, but that's typically if there's no long term to go after in the first place.

Though people saying that being slightly short of "mega success" means failure is just moronic. It's not like Nintendo needs the absolute best results just to survive at the moment.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Dr. Fetus posted:

There's a time and place for short term gains, but that's typically if there's no long term to go after in the first place.

Though people saying that being slightly short of "mega success" means failure is just moronic. It's not like Nintendo needs the absolute best results just to survive at the moment.

Yeah, this time last year it was reported they have straight up the largest cash stockpile of any Japanese company.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014
They're not talking to gamers. They're talking to investors. Investors only care about growth. A company that only makes as much today as it did last year is literally a complete failure from their perspective because their investment hasn't grown whatsoever. That's why analysts tend to bemoan missing targets that seem totally unrealistic and unnecessary on the ground. They're not looking for the company to sustain itself but to experience explosive (quite possibly unsustainable) growth to please investors. Their recommendations are solely tailored to what makes the best ROI.

It's dumb but considering the target audience, that's by design I'd say.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.

Danakir posted:

They're not talking to gamers. They're talking to investors. Investors only care about growth. A company that only makes as much today as it did last year is literally a complete failure from their perspective because their investment hasn't grown whatsoever. That's why analysts tend to bemoan missing targets that seem totally unrealistic and unnecessary on the ground. They're not looking for the company to sustain itself but to experience explosive (quite possibly unsustainable) growth to please investors. Their recommendations are solely tailored to what makes the best ROI.

It's dumb but considering the target audience, that's by design I'd say.

The good news is that Nintendo doesn't care too much about that because the investors themselves don't own enough of an interest in the company to actually change how it operates day to day.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Random question but is the Smash GC controller they rereleased recently just an exact 1:1 GC controller? Can I use it with my Wii?

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I heard Horizon Chase Turbo was actually legit good according to Steam reviews but just lol at $19.99 for a mobile port.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Random question but is the Smash GC controller they rereleased recently just an exact 1:1 GC controller? Can I use it with my Wii?

Yes and GameCube too.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

It is, but with a longer cord!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

SeANMcBAY posted:

Yes and GameCube too.

Oh sweet! I'll try to get one, I just got into GC stuff on the Wii but the controller I got doesn't have rumble and I don't think an analog trigger ether

Castor Poe
Jul 19, 2010

Jar Jar is the key to all of this.
Hi guys, I'm playing Civ VI on the shitter.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Fitzy Fitz posted:

I think I've seen this answered before, but I'm paranoid, so:

If I'm upgrading to a new SD card, can I just put the new one in and let the Switch re-download all of the games? I don't have enough free space on my PC to copy the files over.

Are there any saves on the SD card, or are they all on internal storage?

saves are always on the internal storage

just swap out the cards and redownload your games

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Oh sweet! I'll try to get one, I just got into GC stuff on the Wii but the controller I got doesn't have rumble and I don't think an analog trigger ether

It also has rumble and the analog triggers too. It’s really cool to see authentic controllers for older systems being sold again.:)

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

repiv posted:

saves are always on the internal storage

just swap out the cards and redownload your games

Thanks

I wonder how long it will take to download 100 gigs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Imagined posted:

I heard Horizon Chase Turbo was actually legit good according to Steam reviews but just lol at $19.99 for a mobile port.

I tried the demo on PS4 hoping it would be like a modern Outrun analog, given that it seems to be aping that kind of aesthetic and feel, but it turned out to be a circuit racing game with power-ups and the like. Deleted that fast.