Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

HEY GUNS posted:

anyway when the Beautiful Gates are opened it symbolizes God unifying with the people, since behind the gates = heaven and the nave of the church = earth. (there is in fact a whole Thing about what part of the church building symbolizes what. Rodrigo Diaz has it.) this is why they are opened for the Eucharist and the Gospel, because those are two ways God does that. This is also why they are always open during the Octave of Easter!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_doors

Awesome. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HEY GUNS posted:

i think a cross without a corpus is justified if we're talking about denominations that forbid decoration at all for philosophical reasons

Yeah, and that's certainly the Mennonite tradition (though as I've said before I think artistic expression always finds a way).

I'm phone posting right now so quoting other posts is awkward but thanks for the replies, everyone. It's not a perspective I've ever been taught but I dig it. My own thinking is evolving in something of a different direction and I'm still trying to articulate it all in my head, though. But basically it's that it's Jesus's life, not his death, that is timeless, and not in a remote way but woven into creation from start to end. To me an empty cross is a symbol that something more powerful than death is part of the fundamental nature of things.

I'm not trying to convince anyone, or saying that other depictions are wrong. (Just the opposite!) Just trying to express where my head is going these days.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

docbeard posted:

I'm phone posting right now so quoting other posts is awkward but thanks for the replies, everyone. It's not a perspective I've ever been taught but I dig it. My own thinking is evolving in something of a different direction and I'm still trying to articulate it all in my head, though. But basically it's that it's Jesus's life, not his death, that is timeless, and not in a remote way but woven into creation from start to end. To me an empty cross is a symbol that something more powerful than death is part of the fundamental nature of things.

This is actually something I think about a lot. I love the Man of Sorrows imagery, but I don't think it works in isolation. It's one part of a whole cycle of events, and you can't think about it without also remembering the Incarnation and the Resurrection. And both of those are just as eternal as the Passion.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

God drat it docbeard this is the kind of crazy heretic talk that comes of riding the bus too long

(jk I love you)

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

HopperUK posted:

God drat it docbeard this is the kind of crazy heretic talk that comes of riding the bus too long

(jk I love you)

This bus must be an icon BECAUSE IT IS TIMELESS AND ETERNAL

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Seriously though, I find the symbolism very powerful when the cross is occupied and when it's empty, though when I think about the resurrection I usually think about the stone rolled away from the tomb. Harder to represent that on the wall though.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

HopperUK posted:

Seriously though, I find the symbolism very powerful when the cross is occupied and when it's empty, though when I think about the resurrection I usually think about the stone rolled away from the tomb. Harder to represent that on the wall though.

This is my go-to for that:

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I think it is nice to look at both crosses and crucifixes. It's an interesting notion that one is always and everywhere better than the other.

Now if you ask the JWs, it's a stake. :can:

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Keromaru5 posted:

There's also Christ as "the lamb that was slain before the foundation of the world," which leads to the interpretation that the crucified Christ is himself the imago dei that humanity is based on.

How do you reconcile this with the fact that the image of Christ shown most often is historically inaccurate? Not only that, but from an American perspective it concerns me when people of color are encouraged to picture the Savior as a light skinned European. I know this is unintentional, as the traditional image dates back to the Byzantines, but why continue to present information to the faithful that we know is false?

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

I only have black saiyan Jesus displayed in my house. Representation is important.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

docbeard posted:

Yeah, and that's certainly the Mennonite tradition (though as I've said before I think artistic expression always finds a way).

I'm not trying to convince anyone, or saying that other depictions are wrong. (Just the opposite!) Just trying to express where my head is going these days.

My advanced religion course is closing on Nietzche, and apparently his point was also that Jesus was the only christian, and his death shouldn't hold any meaning.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

pidan fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 19, 2019

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

Konstantin posted:

How do you reconcile this with the fact that the image of Christ shown most often is historically inaccurate? Not only that, but from an American perspective it concerns me when people of color are encouraged to picture the Savior as a light skinned European. I know this is unintentional, as the traditional image dates back to the Byzantines, but why continue to present information to the faithful that we know is false?

The important part is that Jesus is both God and human. There is some amazing Ethiopian Christian artwork of African Jesus. And I think I saw in this thread one time Asian Jesus.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

shame on an IGA posted:

I only have black saiyan Jesus displayed in my house. Representation is important.

I remember going to a Catholic high school in the Chicagoland area for quiz bowl that had its lobby(?) decked out in diverse depictions of Jesus, from Aryan Jesus to Confucius Jesus, which I thought was neat, even as a militant atheist then. Still an atheist but I appreciate all y’all and this thread; I’m attempting to get my boyfriend to be a bit less militant which should be an easy sell since his mom is a well-educated, progressive, and all-around-awesome Presbyterian minister/sociology professor at a seminary. But he’s a gay neuroscientist so that maybe negates the cool mom.

Thanks for reading my ramblings religionthread!

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

The Belgian posted:

Pontius Pilate did nothing wrong.

And thank you.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The above discussion made me want to check out some depictions of Jesus in various artistic traditions, it's really interesting. I ended up on this blog when looking for Mongolian art. I think it's pretty cool.
http://indigenousjesus.blogspot.com/

quote:

My friend, Ariunaa, a Southeast Asian living in Mongolia, previously worked with me in order to facilitate the creation of a contextualized worship banner based on one of my bowl paintings (here and here). She recently emailed me about a Mongolian Christian artist that had completed a series of contextualized paintings based on Ephesians 6:10-20, where Paul describes the whole armor of God. Each picture includes a Bible verse in Mongol bichig (traditional Mongolian script).The 57 year-old artist, Tumur-Ochir Gombojav, attends church at Itgeliin Bambai (Shield of Faith) in Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia. Three years ago a friend of Tumur-Ochir's brought him to Itgeliin Bambai where he became a Christian, and as a result he now seeks to glorify God with his art. Previously he attended art school in Mongolia from 1971-1975, and later after graduation attended the School of Fine Arts Academy in Saint Petersburg, Russia 1979-1986.
http://indigenousjesus.blogspot.com/2014/03/mongolian-warrior-paintings-depict.html

quote:

Our Struggle is Not Against Flesh and Blood, But Against the Powers
of This Dark World and Against the Spiritual Forces of Evil,

quote:

Be Strong In the Lord and In His Mighty Power.

quote:

Feet Fitted With the Readiness That Comes From
the Gospel of Peace (trampling the "Toad of Greed";
note metal plates[?] on boots)

Poor toads though.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

Religionthread: Trampling the Toads of Greed

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

Grevling posted:

Poor toads though.

I love this sort of thing.

In a similar vein, here is some footage of the Zaire Use, a form of the Roman Rite with some interesting changes. Most notably, the servers all carry spears.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSwzTaizDWc

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HEY GUNS posted:

and lines of thought like this are what lead hegel (the real one) to envision the world itself as pervaded with christ's self-emptying crucifixion and as a "perpetual crucifixion," which may have influenced his idea of identity through negation

Unrelated : did your username used to be HEY GAL, and if so was it a play on Hegel? If not tell me it was because I'm getting a good chuckle at it right now.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Mr Enderby posted:

This is actually something I think about a lot. I love the Man of Sorrows imagery, but I don't think it works in isolation. It's one part of a whole cycle of events, and you can't think about it without also remembering the Incarnation and the Resurrection. And both of those are just as eternal as the Passion.
i love what catholics did with the man of sorrows imagery, which in spanish is called the christ of great power.

i already mentioned during my post on the liber juratus honorii that by the 12th century most catholics did not know greek, and were impressed whenever they heard it. one of the things they seemed to like the best was the trisagion. so at some point--I used to know exactly who and exactly when--some catholic decided to add the trisagion to the good friday service: good friday is the most solemn day in the catholic calendar and this was a prayer they really respected.

the result of this is that catholics only address Christ as you immortal one or you strong one while He is dying.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Konstantin posted:

people of color are encouraged to picture the Savior as a light skinned European...the traditional image dates back to the Byzantines
lolwut

depictions of Christ as a European are historically rare in Orthodox art, although some Russian art does it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Ynglaur posted:

Unrelated : did your username used to be HEY GAL, and if so was it a play on Hegel? If not tell me it was because I'm getting a good chuckle at it right now.
it was, yes. i changed it when i was trying really hard to be a woman.

oops lol

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
mongolian St George is :krad:

does anyone know what Orthodox Alaskan or Orthodox Far Eastern Siberian icons look like, if they make any?

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
people who live near the ruins of jesuit settlements still complete more years of education than people who do not, even several hundred years after the jesuits were expelled from the spanish empire

i wonder if similar effects can be observed near the schools that wallenstein founded, which lasted until after the second world war

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

HEY GUNS posted:

it was, yes. i changed it when i was trying really hard to be a woman.

oops lol

Too funny. On what-does-Jesus-look-like-chat, Ive always thought the "Heaven is for Real Jesus painting" looks very authentic, maybe because it was created by a young Caucasian American girl and looks like many of the people I've met from the Middle East.

Spacewolf
May 19, 2014
Somehow the perspective of Jesus's eyes in that makes me think more "fashion model" than "Son of God".

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

quote:

"This paper is saying even though people were converting indigenous people to Catholicism, while they were doing that they were also teaching them skills."

I think this has it the wrong way around; they taught them skills because they were converting them, right? (I do wanna see a Franciscan response to "y'all had missions too, but only the Jesuit ones had measurable secular benefits", though :munch:)

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Mr Enderby posted:

I love this sort of thing.

In a similar vein, here is some footage of the Zaire Use, a form of the Roman Rite with some interesting changes. Most notably, the servers all carry spears.

I got a chance to visit the Cathedral in Cusco recently and the Incan influence on the art there was strong. The painting of the Three Kings had them dressed as Inca royalty and riding hosed-up, earless llamas because the artist had no idea what a camel looked like. The Last Supper painting has them eating guinea pig and drinking chicha.

They didn't want us taking photos so I found one online.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

Konstantin posted:

That's not really what I was talking about. I was referring to the idea that we're created in the image of the Crucified Christ. Fr Stephen Freeman reflects on it here.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ThingOne posted:

I got a chance to visit the Cathedral in Cusco recently and the Incan influence on the art there was strong. The painting of the Three Kings had them dressed as Inca royalty and riding hosed-up, earless llamas because the artist had no idea what a camel looked like. The Last Supper painting has them eating guinea pig and drinking chicha.

Thinking on all this stuff, I actually kind of like the idea of all peoples being free to depict Christ as one of them, given that his mercy and love belong to all peoples.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Night10194 posted:

Thinking on all this stuff, I actually kind of like the idea of all peoples being free to depict Christ as one of them, given that his mercy and love belong to all peoples.

Syncretism is a big thing in the mountainous areas of Peru. Our guide was a devote Catholic but whenever anything important happens he has a shaman friend of his make an offering to Pachamama as well "just in case". I got to sit in on one and can post some pictures when I get home from work if people want.

ThingOne fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 29, 2018

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

ThingOne posted:

Syncretism is a big thing in the mountainous areas of Peru. Our guide was a devote Catholic but whenever anything important happens he has a shaman friend of his make an offering to Pachamama as well "just in case". I got to sit in one and can post some pictures when I get home from work if people want.

Please do, I'd be really interested to see these.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
looking at the bread Christ has in His hand and i am seized with a desire for that cassava-flour-cheese bread which is probably blasphemous in context

you're probably not supposed to think Communion is delicious

edit: for other details which are probably true to the life of the person who painted that, check out the decanters and the little wine glasses

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Nov 29, 2018

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

ThingOne posted:

"Hi, I'm Judas...you're probably wondering how it all went wrong..."

also, what indigenous animal is that main course?

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Pershing posted:

"Hi, I'm Judas...you're probably wondering how it all went wrong..."

also, what indigenous animal is that main course?

That's the guinea pig.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

That's the guinea pig.
and once they're furless and grilled they look uncomfortably like that too, the little snarl of teeth

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

ThingOne posted:

I got to sit in one and can post some pictures when I get home from work if people want.

Shoot that poo poo into my veins.

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

I'm not going to go into too much detail because I'm not Peruvian and trying to explain somebody else's religion doesn't feel right to me. The shaman began the offering by ringing the bell and offering a prayer to Pachamama which mainly consisted of reciting the names of the various mountains of Peru. The offering consisted of flowers, grains, shells, sweets, animal products, and gold and silver foil laid on a bed of coca leaves. Before he placed each item he blew on it to send a portion of it to Pachamama and said a short prayer. Our part in the ritual was to hold three coca leaves in our left hand and make our own personal prayers before handing them to him to add to the offering. Then he wrapped it in paper and took it to be burned when the sun set. He told us they traditionally used dyed cloth but his wife makes all of his and if he burned it he'd never hear the end of it.

Mr Enderby
Mar 28, 2015

ThingOne posted:

I'm not going to go into too much detail because I'm not Peruvian and trying to explain somebody else's religion doesn't feel right to me. The shaman began the offering by ringing the bell and offering a prayer to Pachamama which mainly consisted of reciting the names of the various mountains of Peru. The offering consisted of flowers, grains, shells, sweets, animal products, and gold and silver foil laid on a bed of coca leaves. Before he placed each item he blew on it to send a portion of it to Pachamama and said a short prayer. Our part in the ritual was to hold three coca leaves in our left hand and make our own personal prayers before handing them to him to add to the offering. Then he wrapped it in paper and took it to be burned when the sun set. He told us they traditionally used dyed cloth but his wife makes all of his and if he burned it he'd never hear the end of it.

This is very cool. Also something about it reminds me of that Waugh quote I posted earlier, about Catholic priests setting about performing low mass like skilled labourers getting down to work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Since we're on the topic I'll briefly describe some of the common Lakota spiritual/syncretic rituals. These are performed commonly in meetings at my campus, public events, and at Christian religious services.

Prayer. The most common setting for personal, private prayer is in the morning, facing east. The four cardinal directions, their associated colors, and the number four have a huge amount of significance. East is yellow for the rising sun and new beginnings. South is red for the summer and heat. West is black for the setting sun, death, and also the thunderstorms which come from the west. North is white for winter and cold. There are a ton more things associated with each but that's a very brief summary. Yellow, white, black and red are also the only dyes the Lakota had access to pre-European contact, so the most traditional styles of artwork use only those colors.

Public prayer or invocations is a bit different. Prayers at public events (excepting Christian worship) are always given in Lakota (that is the language of the ancestors and spirits) and always by a man, preferably an elder. Traditional Lakota society has strict gender roles and men lead prayers, it's a moderate taboo for women to do so. There was a small scandal earlier this fall when no Lakota speaking men were present at a meeting and a woman was asked to do it. She said a prayer, but was super uncomfortable and unhappy about being asked to do so. Anyway, a traditional invocation covers about what you'd expect--requests for peace and protection, expressing thanks to tunkasila* (God, literally means "paternal grandfather") and the ancestors and spirits, and concluding with "mithakuye oyasin" which is one of the best-known Lakota phrases and often mistranslated. It's usually interpreted by outside groups as an expression of the oneness of all mankind, or the unity of man, animals, nature etc. It's quite a bit more narrow than that and literally means "(you are) all my relatives." It could refer just to the people in the room, it could refer just to that person's family and community relations, it could mean the tribe or the reservation. Expanding it to mean something about the unity, peace, and equality of all humankind is pretty much feel-good appropriation for white people.

Song. At public gatherings, a song of thanksgiving usually follows the opening prayer. This is also in Lakota and sung acappella by a man. These are often partially improvised, each phrase generally starts at a high pitch, then gradually lowers and usually ends in a few repeated words. Here's a good example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vYM5MJ6tMo phrases end in "waun welo" which means "I am (indeed) coming."

Smudging. At most larger events, burning sage will be passed around before the prayer/invocation. It's common for people to do this on their own in their office or home or whenever they like, too, it's not strictly for public gathering. We use a turtle shell to hold the burning sage at campus meetings. Somebody lights the sage and goes around the room offering sage to each other person. You cup one or both hands, bow your head slightly, and gently fan some of the smoke over your head once or twice. This is to purify people and ward off impure or negative thoughts and spirits. Usually the remaining sage is left to finish burning in the center of the room.

Someone in the last thread linked that the Catholic diocese in Rapid City approved smudging as part of Mass which is pretty cool. It's not really much different in practice or purpose from incense.

Spirit plate. Any time a meal is served, before anyone serves themselves a plate is set aside with a small portion of the various foods. I'm not aware of a particular ritual for this, just that someone always does it and it's set somewhere in the open where everyone can see so that you know it's been done. This is an offering of thanksgiving and generosity to the ancestors and spirits. After the meal it's set outside, fed to birds or dogs, not thrown in the garbage. You better believe my Episcopal church has a spirit plate with delectable dollops of hot dishes and jello salad on Sundays :v:

Sweat lodge, Sun Dance, etc. These get into more complex and lengthy rituals which are much closer to straight up pagan or traditional spirituality than syncretic. Though there is absolutely syncretism it's quite a complicated relationship and I don't know to what extent Christian churches are down with some of it. Sun Dance involves literal blood sacrifice so...

I've been to the final day of Sun Dances but they're a four-day and three-night affair that I'm totally not qualified to comment on, so I won't try.

Sweat lodges are very popular this time of year. Some Lakota friggin' love sweats and will do it every weekend. You build a thatch hut from cedar branches, heat stones in the middle, then throw water on the stones. It's a sauna! I've never participated in one. Much like Sun Dance, I'd feel uncomfortable just going to one without some understanding of the significance. There have been several invitations for all-staff sweats but I've not gone and I don't think I'd attend one unless I was personally invited.

*Fun fact, the President of the United States is referred to as tunkasilayapi, literally "paternal line great-grandfather." The Lakota kinship system has super-complicated naming based on paternal/maternal line relationships and other stuff. All hail great-grandaddy Trump!