Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
That entire family was just a flaming pit of suck, really. Also I'm super stereotypical and was pumped as poo poo when I got the option to answer Fordola's question about how I can stand so much betrayal and poo poo and how I keep going on with nothing more than 'Because I choose to.'

Things currently pissing me off: Tiandong not updated for Starsector .9, I need my low-tech bricks already dammit. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
You're not supposed to print and follow a checklist of korok seed locations unless you're deep, deep in some sort of spectrum. You're supposed to naturally find a couple of quirky short little puzzles in between bouts of soaring through Hyrule and occasionally be rewarded with extra storage space for your easily replaceable gear. The game makes fun of you for getting all 900 of the seeds by awarding you with a literal turd

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre still not fun and since the reward for doing them incrementally helps obviate some of the games bad mechanics you have an invested reason to do a lot of them, which theyre unmarked so even if you want to focus on them a little the game doesnt want you to.

Breath of the Wild is like nothing but mechanics that dont work together on an empty themepark map.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Cleretic posted:

I do want to bring this back to answer it, I think it's a way to get around having your character be silent (with all the advantages that brings) while still having them be active in conversations. That way they don't have to record like a dozen different takes of the same line in every language, but your character's still allowed to say things in cutscenes.

It's a huge pain sometimes, though, I agree. It actually angered me at the end of some recent patch main story content. No, don't act remorseful and like Yotsuyu is a good person, she's basically the worst, and the only good thing her brother ever did was shooting her!

I had the same reaction to that same story patch, in between laughing my rear end off at how that entire character and family are so ridiculously tragic and evil they warp around the edge of the scale and wind up genuinely hilarious to me.

Though what provoked me to make that post was from that same patch. No, Alphinaud, going to Garlemald by yourself is a terrible loving idea and it's going to turn to poo poo because that's what happens to everything you do. See the new avatar and red text the goons in the MMO thread graced me with for my opinions about that particular character, though.

I think it's just a symptom of my fundamental issue with that game, though: I like the character I am playing as to be the protagonist of the story, and in FF14 your PC is decidedly not the protagonist. The game joking about hee hee the WoL is an MMO protagonist and so has few ways of interacting with the world beyond violence was a joke that got old rather quickly, even TOR did a better job about disguising how railroaded the plot is and how little choice you have to say in the matter.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
I like them

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Alphinaud is a good and also pretty boy.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Barudak posted:

Breath of the Wild is like nothing but mechanics that dont work together on an empty themepark map.

I honestly never got this impression even 100 hours into the game. Maybe you weren't a fan of the end product but I felt like the mechanics worked together just fine.

Except for maybe cooking, that system really let you go bonkers with buffs and unlimited heals. Most Zelda games are extremely generous with health though so I guess I didn't let it bother me much

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Some of the systems are fine on their own, they just run face first into other systems or rely on mechanics that arent designed quite how they should be so the whole package ends up with lots of rough edges even if you like the underlying systems.

Like I dont like Breath of the Wild, but I also can while playing the game see lots of little easy tweaks that would improve everyones experience not just mine. Cooking is probably the most obvious one since everyone was dumbfounded by that but there are lots of other things where minor changes would drastically improve the game.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

You're not supposed to print and follow a checklist of korok seed locations unless you're deep, deep in some sort of spectrum. You're supposed to naturally find a couple of quirky short little puzzles in between bouts of soaring through Hyrule and occasionally be rewarded with extra storage space for your easily replaceable gear. The game makes fun of you for getting all 900 of the seeds by awarding you with a literal turd

Ah yes puzzles like:

Pick up the rock
Jump in the flower ring
Put x in y
Set thing on fire
Shoot thing
Follow straight line

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Len posted:

Ah yes puzzles like:

Pick up the rock
Jump in the flower ring
Put x in y
Set thing on fire
Shoot thing
Follow straight line

Not every open world game can have such exciting roadside encounters like:

Kill this man
Kill this other man
Kill multiple men
Find a box

The puzzles work themselves well into the environment, and inspire you to keep an eye out while you run between locations. It pulls your gaze away from your minimap to actually look at the world around you, which is a lot more than can be said for most open-world titles, where you're just running between waypoints with little reason to look away from the blip on your map. And when you do find, say, a thing that needs to be set on fire, and you think "Wait, should that be on fire?" and you set it on fire, the little reward for spending like thirty seconds to check it out is nice.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Len posted:

Ah yes puzzles like:

Pick up the rock
Jump in the flower ring
Put x in y
Set thing on fire
Shoot thing
Follow straight line

Yeah? They're short things that tickle your ocd for a small incremental reward

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Len posted:

Ah yes puzzles like:

Pick up the rock
Jump in the flower ring
Put x in y
Set thing on fire
Shoot thing
Follow straight line

Do you have any examples of more engaging puzzles? I'm playing Spiderman right now and you could definitely break down the game to sound this lame even though it is in fact a cool and fun experience

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's almost as if you can make anything sound bad if you describe it vaguely enough!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Theyre both bad? The koroks are actually a little more annoying because the reward is non immediate, stacks with nothing else, arent marked, and designed to be easy to ignore. I sure as heck stopped looking for them really quickly once you start needing like 6+ for an upgrade because theyre designed to be tedious to find while in other open world games I still engaged with random events most of the way through.

Also laffo at "not looking at the minimap" because of Korok seeds. I found like maybe 20 the whole time because guess what, if Im traveling somewhere Im focused on going as fast as possible to that destination which is a whole other source of issues in BotW.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Morpheus posted:

Not every open world game can have such exciting roadside encounters like:

Kill this man
Kill this other man
Kill multiple men
Find a box

The puzzles work themselves well into the environment, and inspire you to keep an eye out while you run between locations. It pulls your gaze away from your minimap to actually look at the world around you, which is a lot more than can be said for most open-world titles, where you're just running between waypoints with little reason to look away from the blip on your map. And when you do find, say, a thing that needs to be set on fire, and you think "Wait, should that be on fire?" and you set it on fire, the little reward for spending like thirty seconds to check it out is nice.

At least roadside encounter doesn't imply that it takes thought. Picking up a rock is absolutely not a puzzle. It's picking up a rock. It's something that you do in Zelda games because rocks have always kept things under them.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

exquisite tea posted:

It's almost as if you can make anything sound bad if you describe it vaguely enough!

Pushing loving buttons to move a blob of pixels around? That's kid's stuff!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
it's all just pressing buttons

edit: ^:argh:^

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
BOTW is a lot like MGS5. If you don't enjoy the core gameplay, there's not much else there for you. There are no interconnected questlines, moral dilemmas, deep characters or skill trees to minmax. In this game you throw a rusty sword at inhaling squid and it spits out a shiny clean sword. You can give a dog some meat and he'll tag along and help you find some treasure.

Really if you don't like putzing around and discovering stuff like this on your own, it's not really a game for you.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

rodbeard posted:

I wonder if the people saying Majora's Mask wasn't terrible tried to do any side quests without a strategy guide?

you utter clown

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Len posted:

At least roadside encounter doesn't imply that it takes thought. Picking up a rock is absolutely not a puzzle. It's picking up a rock. It's something that you do in Zelda games because rocks have always kept things under them.

Not really. If you went around picking up every rock it'd take your hours to get anywhere. The rock ones aren't puzzles, but there are others where you need to levitate things correctly, use bombs to destroy certain areas, find secrets hidden in trees, etc. It's not just 'pick up rock', 'cut plant'.

And, yeah, most of them don't require any heavy thinking by any stretch of the imagination. But they do require perception to spot. And many of them require you to pause, think about what you're looking at, and try to deduce what could make the korok appear, even if it's something simple like 'fill in this spot on a rock pattern with another rock'.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Theyre both bad? The koroks are actually a little more annoying because the reward is non immediate, stacks with nothing else, arent marked, and designed to be easy to ignore.
Weird way of saying "they're actually hidden."

Barudak posted:

Also laffo at "not looking at the minimap" because of Korok seeds. I found like maybe 20 the whole time because guess what, if Im traveling somewhere Im focused on going as fast as possible to that destination which is a whole other source of issues in BotW.
Weird way of saying "I made my own experience worse but refused to change."

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Somfin posted:

Weird way of saying "they're actually hidden."

Needing multiples to upgrade your equipment, in increasing numbers, is not hidden nor is them being hidden a complaint I made. Merely that if the goal is to be "an interesting thing you stumble across naturally while traveling" being hidden explicitly works at cross purpose to that and them being hidden and incremental makes hunting for them unsatisfying quickly to the point where even if you find them you may be inclined to just skip them.

quote:

Weird way of saying "I made my own experience worse but refused to change."

So when you traveled in the game, you exclusively moved in concentric circles and never used the paraglider except when retracing your steps? Because if you didnt you absolutely did the same thing as me and missed Korok seeds because you were trying to get somewhere.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Barudak posted:

Needing multiples to upgrade your equipment, in increasing numbers, is not hidden nor is them being hidden a complaint I made. Merely that if the goal is to be "an interesting thing you stumble across naturally while traveling" being hidden explicitly works at cross purpose to that and them being hidden and incremental makes hunting for them unsatisfying quickly to the point where even if you find them you may be inclined to just skip them.

So when you traveled in the game, you exclusively moved in concentric circles and never used the paraglider except when retracing your steps? Because if you didnt you absolutely did the same thing as me and missed Korok seeds because you were trying to get somewhere.

They're not buried in dungeons or anything, they're hidden in plain sight. So you stumble across them naturally because you're running through a field, presumably not going as fast as possible to get to your destination, keeping an eye out and notice that, oh wait, there's a chained rock in that pond, what the hell is that maybe I can do something with it?

Of course people are going to miss Korok seeds, that's why there are so many of them. You find the ones that you find, little rewards for keeping an eye out. You're not going to find all 900+ of them or whatever unless you're doing what you just described, which is a pretty effing boring way to play the game, unless you're into that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I dunno though if I'm focusing on that giant orange pillar in the distance I'm not looking at the rock in the pond. I'm looking at the giant orange pillar.

And yeah I'm absolutely not going to go slow through the giant empty landscape. It's like AssCreed 1. Yes the map was technically huge. But nobody travelled it they just zoomed to the next city. There were even hundreds of pointless collectables in the form of flags. It's not as bad a game as I make it sound in the dragging things down thread but it feels like a game from 5+ years ago that came out in 2017 and was forgiven because Nintendo and Zelda

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
"The map is really empty!"
"Except for all the stuff in it?"
"I didn't notice any of those because I was racing across the map!"
"Yeah you're supposed to pass by stuff and look at it."
"But the map's so empty!"

moosecow333
Mar 15, 2007

Super-Duper Supermen!
Personally I loved that part of the game. My best memories came about from me going ‘that looks cool on the map, I wonder what’s there’ and then having my own little adventure going from point A to B.

I also found the weapon durability issue was really helped once I got the Master Sword. While it would break it doesn’t take too long to recharge so I used it to clear up the trash tier enemies and then used the fun weapons on the bigger ones.

My gripe with the game is that it just got easy way too fast. Even the giant centaur enemies became jokes after the second time I fought them because they have like three moves and all of them are really easy to proc the slow motion dodge.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Caphi posted:

"The map is really empty!"
"Except for all the stuff in it?"
"I didn't notice any of those because I was racing across the map!"
"Yeah you're supposed to pass by stuff and look at it."
"But the map's so empty!"

As I've said I personally don't find koroks interesting enough to justify the size of the open world. And the very pretty terrain is absolutely not going to justify size.

I climbed a giant mountain and all I got was a nice view and a sword in a box worse than all the ones I have already

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Len posted:

I climbed a giant mountain and all I got was a nice view

gamers

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

New thread title, IMO

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Cythereal posted:

Final Fantasy 14: why give me dialogue options if both say the same thing in slightly different ways?

This is probably the best part of Rise of the Argonauts, though.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

It may break the difficulty but it's a good idea to get rid of level reqs for perks in Fallout 4. You can't even sneak properly or hack high level computers until level 40 in the base game, which forces you into the one homogenous build. There's also a ton of +20% damage ones and some that only unlock weapon mod recipes. It's a choice between mundane useful ones and exciting crap ones.

Maybe an RPG could have a system where you get perks automatically depending on your level, stats, and skills. That way you could earn colourful perks without gimping yourself. Ac Odyssey had a mild example where hitting level 20 made you immune to fall damage.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

How many times is climbing mountains to see a pretty videogame painting supposed to be a breathtaking life changing experience? Because after like the third time it's lost all of the magic.

Now I'm climbing them because unless it's raining I can and I loving love that. I just wish there was more reason to

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I just found a korok seed on top of a mountain but you don't find them interesting so I guess the mountain is empty. I found opal on another one. How do you feel about opals? Are you gonna stop climbing mountains now that you're sick of it? How about literal questgivers on those mountains? Will that give your gameplay experience meaning?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I mostly climbed mountains in BotW to paraglide somewhere or because there was a shrine on it because the views werent special and hoping for a reward with no guarantee isnt an incentive. There werent any formations that particularly stood out from any other video game mountain view, nor was there a geographic feature where I was like "it is definitely worth my time to climb a mountain for no reason than a better viewing angle"

Rain in BotW just flatout sucks and after getting stuck halfway up something more than once I just tried to avoid climbing unless I had to so if that hadnt existed I might have climbed more things.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

How do you feel about weapons breaking?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Vic posted:

I just found a korok seed on top of a mountain but you don't find them interesting so I guess the mountain is empty. I found opal on another one. How do you feel about opals? Are you gonna stop climbing mountains now that you're sick of it? How about literal questgivers on those mountains? Will that give your gameplay experience meaning?

Are there quest givers on them? So far the only quest givers I've found have been in a town and the only people out in the wild were the 6 Zoras that told me to go to the flashing dot

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Have you two considered that if you don't like the map, the mechanics, and everything else, that maybe the game just isn't for you?

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

I had a better time in BotW when I just kind of wandered with no real goal, if you are gunning for your objective every single moment you probably shouldn't have bought the game.

Edit: Actually let's extend that statement to most open world games.

Zoig has a new favorite as of 23:58 on Nov 28, 2018

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Len posted:

Are there quest givers on them? So far the only quest givers I've found have been in a town and the only people out in the wild were the 6 Zoras that told me to go to the flashing dot

From what you described you didn't leave the vicinity of Kakariko :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
I think I'm finally done with the entire JRPG genre. I recently started Ni No Kuni II, and, while it's... okay, the story is tepid third-grade pabulum. It's not capital-A "Anime", more of a whispered "...anime...", but I still just don't enjoy it.

Games either need intensely fun gameplay (Dishonored, Musou games) or possibilities for unique replay value (Total War, Xcom, Skyrim) or they need great storylines / dialog to justify what is essentially fairly repetitive gameplay (Witcher 3, Vampyre). I'm happy with any of the above. I want to have fun | try a new build | follow an interesting story. I don't like playing what amounts to a pre-scripted interactive movie meant for kids.

In most JRPGs, the gameplay is just okay (although in NNK II, I enjoy the kingdom building and wish it were more expanded), and it's not worth suffering through the storyline. There are no decisions to make, there are no branches, there's no RP part of the RPG. I'm just pressing A in an interactive movie that some Japanese game developers put together. Yeah, I have to press A quite a lot, but that doesn't make it fun.

Also, in before someone sneers at me for enjoying Skyrim because it's currently vogue to hate on it I think?

Thursday Next has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Nov 29, 2018