Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I run the SPOM off the bases regular power grid and then ship the Hydrogen into the general gas storage to be used when there's no natural gas.

I set up an automation system So at 75% battery power the natural gas generators switch on. At 50% the hydrogen generators switch on and at 10% the coal generators switch on.

When the natural gas geyser is active the base runs on 100% natural gas while building up extra gas in storage. When the geyser goes dormant the base uses up the natural gas reserves. It then uses up the hydrogen reserves and after both are empty it switch to coal until the natural gas geyser goes active again (usually a very brief period)

Though I'm fairly certain that you could run a fairly large base for more than 3000 cycles just using coal power and a zero effort hatch farm. Like the hatches still breed like rabbits even if you shove 50 of them in a small room so all you need to do is collect the coal and cook surplus eggs.

In fact I had one hatch farm I flat out stopped feeding and they lived on for something like 300 cycles with each new hatch generation eating the meat of the starved hatches from the previous ones. They didn't generate coal but they generated egg shells at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Orion, this is Sperglord Actual.
Come on home.

Katt posted:

Though I'm fairly certain that you could run a fairly large base for more than 3000 cycles just using coal power and a zero effort hatch farm. Like the hatches still breed like rabbits even if you shove 50 of them in a small room so all you need to do is collect the coal and cook surplus eggs.

In fact I had one hatch farm I flat out stopped feeding and they lived on for something like 300 cycles with each new hatch generation eating the meat of the starved hatches from the previous ones. They didn't generate coal but they generated egg shells at least.

Yeah, that 1020 cycle base I had was 4 tuned coal generators for the entirety of it, with 2 hydrogen generators powering my jukebot and some other base stuff. 18-24 hatches producing excess coal to the point I had 200t when I stopped playing that game. You can make coal last forever if you care to, there’s really no use for sendimentary rock (or any of them in time) and enough to throw at 20+ hatches for as long as you’ll really ever need.

It makes sense to transition to NG or petro when you get there but it’s not at all necessary if you structure power/transformers/etc well. Especially if you get up to solar by that point and figure out the builds, or exploit steam.

Side note, animal metabolism shuts down when glum, which is a byproduct of overcrowded, which drops their happiness. Metabolism is hatches coal production, not eggs. Cramped is their egg production. Fix this by making them confined to a small area but opening a tile in the roof so the room is gigantic in the room viewer (I’ve seen rooms in excess of 25k tiles :v:). This way you never have more than 1 hatch per 12 tiles of “available” space. The ranching station still works to groom them even with the red notification, and they stay groomed/happy with as many as you have in there. You will produce a comical amount of coal this way in a tiny area.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Nov 28, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mazz posted:

Yeah, that 1020 cycle base I had was 4 tuned coal generators for the entirety of it, with 2 hydrogen generators powering my jukebot and some other base stuff. 18-24 hatches producing excess coal to the point I had 200t when I stopped playing that game. You can make coal last forever if you care to, there’s really no use for sendimentary rock (or any of them in time) and enough to throw at 20+ hatches for as long as you’ll really ever need.

It makes sense to transition to NG or petro when you get there but it’s not at all necessary if you structure power/transformers/etc well. Especially if you get up to solar by that point and figure out the builds, or exploit steam.

Side note, animal metabolism shuts down when glum, which is a byproduct of overcrowded, which drops their happiness. Metabolism is hatches coal production, not eggs. Cramped is their egg production. Fix this by making them confined to a small area but opening a tile in the roof so the room is gigantic in the room viewer (I’ve seen rooms in excess of 25k tiles :v:). This way you never have more than 1 hatch per 12 tiles of “available” space. The ranching station still works to groom them even with the red notification, and they stay groomed/happy with as many as you have in there. You will produce a comical amount of coal this way in a tiny area.

Yeah I do the open door thing. They are all glum but they still produce enough coal that... well.

I don't consider it an exploit since their food is finite.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
You can move the door over or add a second so the only area they can move is 9 tiles wide, and sweep all the coal with 1 arm/loader if you wanted to move it away really quickly. The actual space they’re in is irrelevant to all the debuffs, it’s just the total room size.

But yeah at a point you can’t groom them fast enough to keep the glum debuff from being permenant because you just have way too many hatches for your ranchers to keep up, but they also produce enough coal then it doesn’t matter. You can tear down the ranching station at that point and just let them be wild. They don’t get unhappy wild, and produce more coal wild than tamed+glum. They’ll produce only 1-2 eggs per their lifecycle though IIRC. Depends on what you want more, coal or eggs.

I’m going to try an early fish farm this game to get a ton of eggs if I can, they drop an egg like cycle or something when fed. Algae might be a bottleneck fast though. Gonna see if I can wall off space without any fossils between all my ranched animals. Unlikely but should be fun.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Nov 28, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mazz posted:

You can move the door over or add a second so the only area they can move is 9 tiles wide, and sweep all the coal with 1 arm/loader if you wanted to move it away really quickly. The actual space they’re in is irrelevant to all the debuffs, it’s just the total room size.

But yeah at a point you can’t groom them fast enough to keep the glum debuff from being permenant because you just have way too many hatches from your ranchers, but they also produce enough coal then it doesn’t matter. You can tear down the ranching station at that point and just let them be wild. They don’t get unhappy wild, and produce more coal wild than tamed but glum. They’ll produce only 1-2 eggs per their lifecycle though IIRC. Depends on what you want more, coal or eggs.

I’m going to try an early fish farm this game to get a ton of eggs if I can, they drop an egg like every 2 cycles supposedly. Algae might be a bottleneck fast though. Gonna see if I can wall off space without any fossils between all my ranched animals. Unlikely but should be fun.

I considered a fish farm but algea production is a pain in the rear end and the map has enough fossils + eggs for something like 120 tons of steel. Maybe I'll get the rest of the steel from other planets if I need more.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah that’s my expectation but I kind of want to screw around with ranches/animal variety more this time around. Might try to do gulp fish en masse and see how horrible it goes.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I was hoping to get some frozen oxygen from an ice planet to use as oxidizer (liquid) but the lumps of frozen oxygen turned to gas almost instantly upon delivery while still in the conveyor system :v:

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 33 minutes!
I had a thought today. Each transformer seems to store a small amount of power when active.

You seem to lose this stored power when the transformer is shut off (e.g. via automation). This seems to suggest that the most efficient designs minimize both the number of transformers and the frequency of shut offs.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Mayveena posted:

Wow I just found the seed browser, that's amazing!!!

https://oni-seed-browser.herokuapp.com/

For a role player like me it's very tempting but I'll try to stay on the straight and narrow and just work with what comes ;).

It’s also fun to pick a map that somehow is all cool steam vents, gas geysers, and magma volcanos

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Nothing like see a really convenient neutronium layer and uncovering yet another chlorine geyser

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Mazz posted:

Nothing like see a really convenient neutronium layer and uncovering yet another chlorine geyser

What can you even use these for?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation

KakerMix posted:

torturing your dupes

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

KakerMix posted:

Killing slimelung off slime and killing your base.

insta
Jan 28, 2009

KakerMix posted:

Late game, liquifying it and feeding gas grass in hydroponic tiles.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
the gas reservoir has increased the usefulness of NG geysers by about 1000%

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

KakerMix posted:

You turn it into liquid and then use it as irrigation for gassy grass
Gassy moos eat the grass and then produce natural gas. Each kilogram of chlorine produces 10 kilograms of natural gas this way.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Be cool to have moos in the game, I'd love it!

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

enraged_camel posted:

I had a thought today. Each transformer seems to store a small amount of power when active.

You seem to lose this stored power when the transformer is shut off (e.g. via automation). This seems to suggest that the most efficient designs minimize both the number of transformers and the frequency of shut offs.
Is that a really old (or really new) screenshot? I don’t see a large transformer (and 160J is weird because the other ones store 1000 and 4000 J).

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
It's actually from the newest build.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
I hope its because they have a rework coming but they broke the clothing/suit interface. It doesn't seem to highlight who is wearing what anymore and they took away the unequip clothing/suit buttons. Also the little portraits next to permissions for doors and clothing is gone :(

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Does anyone get that thing where you get materials but containers don't know about them so you can't store them? (fullerene anyone?)

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation

Mazz posted:

I hope its because they have a rework coming but they broke the clothing/suit interface. It doesn't seem to highlight who is wearing what anymore and they took away the unequip clothing/suit buttons. Also the little portraits next to permissions for doors and clothing is gone :(

portraits next to jobs are gone too

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Also, the game forgets build queues in the new fancy system when you load a save.

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Katt posted:

Does anyone get that thing where you get materials but containers don't know about them so you can't store them? (fullerene anyone?)

They fixed that for fullerene in the current test version.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Lightbug ended up in this infinity ranch, figured oh nice I'll throw up a phosphor feeder and keep him alive. Terrible idea, I can't get rid of the eggs fast enough to stop this madness.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Nov 29, 2018

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Mazz posted:

Lightbug ended up in this infinity ranch, figured oh nice I'll throw up a phosphor feeder and keep him alive. Terrible idea, I can't get rid of the eggs fast enough to stop this madness.

It's good to keep them around for decor. Just kill some of them off.

Related to shinebugs had anyone built a solar farm off them? I have a bunch of them and if i can move some into an area above some diamond window tiles, I figure i can power a few solar panels from them. That way i don't have to expose myself to space just yet since i don't have steel at cycle 400.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

It works but they suck at it like a dozen might produce about 100w.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
They eat an incredibly tiny amount of phosphorite though and a few (glossy) dreckos can sustain a bunch, so realistically you could let like 500 breed and see how far you can get with that idea. Probably still useless but might be interesting. Especially as you ramp up on sun bugs or the later ones. And yeah I'm trying to keep a few eggs around by keeping an eye on the egg cracker

Also the kitchen getting broken by like 15g or 142mg of food being stuck in a loader cycle is some real annoying poo poo. I think it might be crashing my game at the end of the cycle on top.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Nov 29, 2018

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Feeling a bit burned out here. Rocket stuff has been fun but the logistics is so drat buggy. I need to start producing liquid oxygen and Hydrogen if I want to operate any further out than 60km and it seems like such a convoluted mess.

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Figured out my shine bug problem, the egg cracker doesn't actually work with shine bug eggs. Currently have 73 eggs, just putting them in storage so they die in the kitchen of natural causes. Kind of realizing now that plan removes any real need for an egg cracker in the first place so long as you don't need the eggs immediately.

Game is still crashing a whole bunch though, which sucks.

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Nov 30, 2018

Loiku
Jul 10, 2007

Katt posted:

Feeling a bit burned out here. Rocket stuff has been fun but the logistics is so drat buggy. I need to start producing liquid oxygen and Hydrogen if I want to operate any further out than 60km and it seems like such a convoluted mess.

Send a bunch of rockets to close planets with fullerene, get a bunch of super coolant, build aquatuners, profit. Just make sure to watch the temperature of your super coolant because it's easy to freeze it in pipes when making liquid hydrogen.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Loiku posted:

Send a bunch of rockets to close planets with fullerene, get a bunch of super coolant, build aquatuners, profit. Just make sure to watch the temperature of your super coolant because it's easy to freeze it in pipes when making liquid hydrogen.

I'll give it a try.

Ouch.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

This map is starting to bug out. Thinking of starting a new one but I shudder at the thought of having to set up bathrooms again from scratch. The Oxydixer loop. SPOM 1 to 6 or whatever.

The crazy amount of gas piping to get the ATMO suit stations working (like 1 SPOM per 5 dupes plus 1 for living quarters oxygen)

Trying to get any labour at all out of the dupes pre ATMO suits.

I feel like gas pipes in general just can't handle the work load I need from them. Even at max capacity they're slow. That is when they're not being staggered for all kinds of reasons like 1 mg of hydrogen taking up the same space as 1000 grams of oxygen etc.

Katt fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 30, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Katt posted:

This map is starting to bug out. Thinking of starting a new one but I shudder at the thought of having to set up bathrooms again from scratch. The Oxydixer loop. SPOM 1 to 6 or whatever.

The crazy amount of gas piping to get the ATMO suit stations working (like 1 SPOM per 5 dupes plus 1 for living quarters oxygen)

Trying to get any labour at all out of the dupes pre ATMO suits.

I feel like gas pipes in general just can't handle the work load I need from them. Even at max capacity they're slow. That is when they're not being staggered for all kinds of reasons like 1 mg of hydrogen taking up the same space as 1000 grams of oxygen etc.

This is why I go with 2 electrolyzer-3 pump oxygen modules. I want to get all the oxygen I can in the pipes and this allows for a full pipe of oxygen.

That said I've encountered too many bugs recently, mostly related to duplicant behaviour. I think I'm going to have to stop playing until a lot of them get fixed. The QOL preview build fixes some, but introduces new bugs related to the new recipe UI that are not tolerable.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Smiling Demon posted:

This is why I go with 2 electrolyzer-3 pump oxygen modules. I want to get all the oxygen I can in the pipes and this allows for a full pipe of oxygen.

That said I've encountered too many bugs recently, mostly related to duplicant behaviour. I think I'm going to have to stop playing until a lot of them get fixed. The QOL preview build fixes some, but introduces new bugs related to the new recipe UI that are not tolerable.

My last map had three sets of 2 electrolyzer/4 pumps (it staggers a bit) One for living quarters oxygen for 15 dupes which it managed and then two to supply their ATMO suits and the oxygen for some machines.

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Katt posted:

My last map had three sets of 2 electrolyzer/4 pumps (it staggers a bit) One for living quarters oxygen for 15 dupes which it managed and then two to supply their ATMO suits and the oxygen for some machines.

If your oxygen modules are 2electrolyzers/4pumps you should be able to significantly better than 1 module/5 dupes. My 2 electrolyzers/3 pump set up is 1 module/10 dupes. The standard setups most use manage at least 7 dupes/module.

Smiling Demon fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Nov 30, 2018

Mazz
Dec 12, 2012

Come on home.
Yeah one electrolyzer can put out enough oxygen for 8.8 dupes at full efficiency, but still more than 8 even with a normal bit of downtime. I have 2 of the SPOMs I did that effortpost on filling 16 exo docks and producing enough excess to pressurize my used space to near vent capacity. I stick to the SPOM because it’s very easy for me to put together now and I don’t have to touch it ever again but the basic gas principles are the same without the generator/wheeze parts.

1 electrolyzer produces 1000 g/s of an uneven mix of gasses so if you want total efficiency it’s 3 pumps per electrolyzer using physical gas separation. Total efficiency isn’t super important in a world of nearly unlimited power + water but I like to shoot for it anyway.

LATE EDIT: I type like poo poo on my phone, fixed

Mazz fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 1, 2018

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Mazz posted:

Yeah one electrolyzer can put out enough oxygen for 8.8 dupes at full efficiency, but still more than 8 even with a normal bit of downtime. I have 2 of the SPOMs I did that effortpost onfilling 16 exp docks and producing enough excess to pressurize my areas to close to vent capacity.

1 electrolyzer produces 1000 g/s of an uneven mix of gasses so if you want total efficiency it’s 3 pumps per electrltzer big total efficiency isn’t super important in a world of nearly unlimited power + water. I like to shoot for it anway

I've always found power to be more an issue of max line capacity, not my ability to generate it. It's never "I want to add a thermo aquatuner, but can't afford to generate the power", but rather "I want to add a thermo aquatuner, that means a new transformer, a new power line, and all the required infrastructure." Excluding the very beginning I suppose when I still have hamster wheels running.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Smiling Demon posted:

If your oxygen modules are 2electrolyzers/4pumps you should be able to significantly better than 1 module/5 dupes. My 2 electrolyzers/3 pump set up is 1 module/10 dupes. The standard setups most use manage at least 7 dupes/module.

Eh it's 3 contraptions in total. Three is enough but two was not enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Demon
Jun 16, 2013

Katt posted:

Eh it's 3 contraptions in total. Three is enough but two was not enough.

Well, if it works, it works. There are always odd factors. My last base had an infestation of wild dense pufts eating my oxygen. I had a ton of oxylite lying around though.

With the exosuit docks I find things normalize out after they fill the first time. They store a silly amount of oxygen though, so the first filling takes a bit.