Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

For me, the allure of the GSC is more about the drama of a proletarian revolution being carried out on an imperial world. It sucks that their defeat (or liquidation) is inevitable, but it’s still a fun idea.

I imagine, though I don’t know for sure, that Hive Fleets spit genestealers out all over the place. There are probably countless worlds with active genestealer cults that aren’t in the imminent path of a fleet.

E: besides, it’s not like they are any more hosed than the Tau are in the long run.

The Kingfish fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Soldier o Fortune posted:

Am I a Bad Dad if I let my kids play Tau and Eldar when we do Dadhammer? Not sure why both boys went for the two most maligned ‘power’ armies, but oh well. I started them out with a box of Guardians plus Psykers and Fire Warriors plus Fireblade. Recently scored a nice deal on some second hand Eldar for one, and now I need to get more Tau for the younger brother. He would love some Kroot, Crisis, and Stealth Suits. Going to be scouring eBay and my FLGS, but if anyone is looking to get rid of their filthy Xenos let me know, and please give me a heads up if you plan to report me to CPS for allowing my son to like Tau.

It's spelled s'on now, sorry. :(

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Am I a Bad Dad if I let my kids play Tau and Eldar when we do Dadhammer? Not sure why both boys went for the two most maligned ‘power’ armies, but oh well. I started them out with a box of Guardians plus Psykers and Fire Warriors plus Fireblade. Recently scored a nice deal on some second hand Eldar for one, and now I need to get more Tau for the younger brother. He would love some Kroot, Crisis, and Stealth Suits. Going to be scouring eBay and my FLGS, but if anyone is looking to get rid of their filthy Xenos let me know, and please give me a heads up if you plan to report me to CPS for allowing my son to like Tau.

Well it is not too hard to make a fun tau list for both sides, but they are not exactly competitive which should be fine in your case. Lean on the mobile tau stuff (Kroot, Crisis, Stealth Suits, Devilfish, Piranhas, etc), and discourage the obvious castles from forming.

Irate Tree
Mar 12, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dude, don't loving do that. Don't worry about how the armies are viewed for their mechanics. Do the kids think they're cool? Yes? Encourage the gently caress out of that poo poo. loving, fucks sakes - gently caress!

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
So my FLGS is starting their Escalation series (not a league because there's no rankings), starting at 500 points. My only army with enough points to go the full league with is Orks so i wanted to get some feedback on this list

Battalion : Goff Klan, one extra relic

HQ's:
Warboss: Kustom Shoota, Da Killa Klaw (Power Klaw) Warlord: Kunnin but Brutal
Weirdboy: Warphead (w/ Da Jump and Warpath), Scorched Gitbonez

Troops:
1x Boss Nob w/Killsaw
24x Skarboyz w/ Slugga/Choppa (2x Tankbusta Bombs)

10x Skarboyz w/ Slugga Choppa (1x Tankbusta Bombs)

10x Gretchin

Elite: Painboy w/ Killsaw

I want the Battalion for the extra CP so that after all my upgrades and Mob Up, i have 3 left for rerolls or other stratagems. My plan is to Mob Up turn 1, and then Da Jump them right nearest whatever the most dangerous target is. I have no idea what anyone else is bringing so i don't want to specialize versus one faction, and i also haven't played 40k in a few months so only having to keep track of a few datasheets is probably for the better. I know i'll probably get rolled by anything made for mulching infantry, and that Killsaws/powerklaws are my best anti-tank weapons with this list, but i don't have any of the new buggies and am working with what i have modeled as to not have to proxy anything.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

You're playing games with your kids. That automatically puts you into Good Dad territory.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

MinistryofLard posted:

Genestealer cults have this narrative problem for me where they feel like a shaggy dog story - the end game is that Star Gods show up, eat the insurgents, and that's it pretty much every time. It's really just grimdark for the sake of grimdark.

If they lean into that aspect of the lore more or have a cult stalemating the nids after defeating the Imperium or something that would make them way more playable for me.

I like my own cult fluff of starry-eyed suicidal fanatics experiencing the ecstasy and agony of the digestion pools believing they are being absorbed spiritually into the Hive Mind, but I see your point. It would be interesting to see a GSC story featuring a former acolyte or convert who survived the first planetary invasion on another world, maybe trying to root out and stop/expose further Cult activity. Also, who has to resist the Patriarch's mind powers, but in the end He Loves Big Brother.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You're playing games with your kids. That automatically puts you into Good Dad territory.

This is correct.

PierreTheMime posted:

It's spelled s'on now, sorry. :(

:golfclap:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Sometimes the Cults are unaware that they are going to be killed. A remember one little fluff burb of a Genestealer 4th Gen Hybrid (The most human looking ones.) watching his grandfather the Patriarch joining up with the Hive Fleet with the Purestrain Genestealers. He shouted "Grandfather let us help you" and ran up to join them encountering his purestrain son. He smiled at it and then it suddenly decapitated him.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Nov 29, 2018

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Yeah they aren't....mind-controlled exactly. You can kill their leadership and they'll eventually pick new leaders. They are sentient beings, with their own personal foibles and beliefs. They tend to be slavishly devoted to the cult because of self-selection and biological reality. The first two generations really can't pass for human. The third can sometimes, and most of the fourth can but tend to be the most psychically powerful [And thus, connected to the hive mind]. Beyond that they tend to infect people that don't fit in in the first place. You are in the cult because you can't be anywhere else, for one reason or another.

An interesting thing to see would be a world where they have their uprising, succeed, but the particularly Hive branch they are waiting for is eradicated before reaching them. Well poo poo....now what?

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Gsc seem like a great army to use for rules, but develop your own fluff and conversions for them so you can be whatever revolutionary force that you wanna be :3:

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
I have someone arguing that I can't use the GUO bell to bring back a myphitic BH because it has two separate keywords, nurgle and daemon (but the ability says NURGLE DAEMON).

Assuming he's incorrect where can I show him something from GW to show this?

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

The Jumpoff posted:

So my FLGS is starting their Escalation series (not a league because there's no rankings), starting at 500 points. My only army with enough points to go the full league with is Orks so i wanted to get some feedback on this list

Battalion : Goff Klan, one extra relic

HQ's:
Warboss: Kustom Shoota, Da Killa Klaw (Power Klaw) Warlord: Kunnin but Brutal
Weirdboy: Warphead (w/ Da Jump and Warpath), Scorched Gitbonez

Troops:
1x Boss Nob w/Killsaw
24x Skarboyz w/ Slugga/Choppa (2x Tankbusta Bombs)

10x Skarboyz w/ Slugga Choppa (1x Tankbusta Bombs)

10x Gretchin

Elite: Painboy w/ Killsaw

I want the Battalion for the extra CP so that after all my upgrades and Mob Up, i have 3 left for rerolls or other stratagems. My plan is to Mob Up turn 1, and then Da Jump them right nearest whatever the most dangerous target is. I have no idea what anyone else is bringing so i don't want to specialize versus one faction, and i also haven't played 40k in a few months so only having to keep track of a few datasheets is probably for the better. I know i'll probably get rolled by anything made for mulching infantry, and that Killsaws/powerklaws are my best anti-tank weapons with this list, but i don't have any of the new buggies and am working with what i have modeled as to not have to proxy anything.

I think you might be better off saving the CP from getting an extra relic and putting it towards something else other than the gitbonez, but I can see it being there to absolutely make sure both warpath and da jump go off.

It's a bit of a bold gambit, but a good use of 500 pts. It really wants to go first. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Harvey Mantaco posted:

I have someone arguing that I can't use the GUO bell to bring back a myphitic BH because it has two separate keywords, nurgle and daemon (but the ability says NURGLE DAEMON).

Assuming he's incorrect where can I show him something from GW to show this?

Then he can't bring back Plague Bearers or any others cause they have the exact same keywords. The Keywords were for making stuff like this easier. It can bring anything with the Keywords Nurgle and Daemon back.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Nov 29, 2018

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!

slut chan posted:

I think you might be better off saving the CP from getting an extra relic and putting it towards something else other than the gitbonez, but I can see it being there to absolutely make sure both warpath and da jump go off.

It's a bit of a bold gambit, but a good use of 500 pts. It really wants to go first. I'm interested to hear how it goes.

That is my only worry, but also why I'm bringing grots, since my deployment plan is "everything as much out of sight as possible" and anything not covered is getting Grot shielded if I go second. Ideally the boyz can tarpit long enough (via conga-lining to the Painboy) to get my warboss Da' Jumped where he needs to go.

Looking at it now I should probably make my Weirdboy the Warlord and just keep him screened to where he can shoot off Smite's as much as possible...

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008
I adore the Genestealer Cult fluff, especially with the idea that the Cult is often horrified by the end result of its machinations and flees to start the cycle over again - the past apocalyptic outcome left as a legend, a boogeyman story, an apocryphal tale before the generational climax draws that same doom down again on another world.

My favorite part is the loving aspect of the Cult. Where Chaos cults are very much into the backstabby selfish "power for its own sake" ethos, Genstealer Cults trend more towards the "this is my son and I don't know why he was born looking like this, but I love him and the Inquisition will take him over my dead body!"

There's something so sweet and so sad about Cultists locking beloved Aberrants away because, while they're beautiful reflections of star gods, the Imperium just isn't progressive enough to accept them and will kill them on sight. Then the jubilant release as the Aberrants, alongside their siblings, rise up to smash the bigoted oppressors.

I love my proletariat alien sons.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

MonsterEnvy posted:

Then he can't bring back Plague Bearers cause they have the exact same keywords. Or any Nurgle Deamon. The Keywords were for making stuff like this easier. It can bring anything with the Keywords Nurgle and Daemon back.

Yeah, this is precisely what keywords are for. Tell him to stop being a penis.

There might be something in the Death Guard or Daemons FAQs but probably not, as this is how the keyword system works. I think you'd have to be deliberately obtuse to have an issue with it.

Edit: The Daemons FAQ has a ruling on it with regards to stratagems, but it is solely in regard to stratagems. Reverberating Summons absolutely works on anything from the DG book with those keywords. Be they Plaguebearers or Blight Haulers.

Lovely Joe Stalin fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Nov 29, 2018

Sharks Dont Sleep
Mar 4, 2009

In pairing luxury automobiles with large predatory felines we have achieved reality ahead of schedule.

Badablack posted:

I’d love if Genestealer Cults had offshoots that broke away from the Hive Mind to do their own thing, similar to the Farsight Enclaves. Unable to ally with and lacking the Tyranid keyword, but with a neat ability to make up for it. Like a Ymgarl cult faction.

I’ve been wanting to do a small GSC force but been struggling with a good concept and I need to thank you because you just gave me a great one: A GSC cult that didn’t take hold of a planet, but a Rogue Trader vessel. They cruise around seeding smaller cults and have a “Lord Captain” for show and a, like, several thousand year old “Shining Admiral” patriarch in a pirates hat who’s just been running everything from the bowels of a flagship or whatever.

Blah blah something about Navigators but like, maybe a Magus could do that or Navigators could get infected too. I dunno. With the wealth of new RT miniatures there’s great room for conversions.

slut chan
Nov 30, 2006

The Jumpoff posted:

That is my only worry, but also why I'm bringing grots, since my deployment plan is "everything as much out of sight as possible" and anything not covered is getting Grot shielded if I go second. Ideally the boyz can tarpit long enough (via conga-lining to the Painboy) to get my warboss Da' Jumped where he needs to go.

Looking at it now I should probably make my Weirdboy the Warlord and just keep him screened to where he can shoot off Smite's as much as possible...

Then you'd lose Da Killa Klaw as backup if you lose your boyz. At first I thought the klaw might be overkill in a 500 pt game, but if your boyz get shot up you need to have something that can win you the game.

On second thought, your original plan actually sounds pretty good, I think I just let the gitbones hate get to me.

For Goffs, this seems like the way to go.

Revelation 2-13
May 13, 2010

Pillbug
Being turned into biomass for the collective and joining the hive mind, is like the ultimate version gay space communism tbf. It's like a biological version of the Helios ending from invisible war. I'm completely onboard with GSC being revolutionary collectivists, fighting a guerrilla war against the fascist empire who has kept them as slaves. Lovecraftian Cthulhu cults are cool too. My kill team is called: Chapter 73 of the drill-men, welders and cutters union; ancylitum mine 441 (also, secretly, know as: the esoteric order of the endless mind).

I cannot wait for gsc! Before Christmas you think?

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice
Who needs a good fisting?

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Being turned into biomass for the collective and joining the hive mind, is like the ultimate version gay space communism tbf. It's like a biological version of the Helios ending from invisible war. I'm completely onboard with GSC being revolutionary collectivists, fighting a guerrilla war against the fascist empire who has kept them as slaves. Lovecraftian Cthulhu cults are cool too. My kill team is called: Chapter 73 of the drill-men, welders and cutters union; ancylitum mine 441 (also, secretly, know as: the esoteric order of the endless mind).

I cannot wait for gsc! Before Christmas you think?

Very unlikely to be this year. They already confirmed that the Wrath & Rapture daemons boxed set, Chapter Approved and new Vigilus / Calgar stuff will all be out in December, leaving very little room for anything else. GSC codex is most likely to be Jan/Feb. I'm not too bothered as I have plenty of primed neophytes left to paint over xmas.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

I am looking to sell my whole Tau army... I’m in UK though. PM me if you’re interested.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

xtothez posted:

GSC codex is most likely to be Jan/Feb. I'm not too bothered as I have plenty of primed neophytes left to paint over xmas.

Because you've already painted all your Acolytes, the superior troop choice?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
Ausgoons - If I want Army Painter Crystal Blue pot & spray, where's the best place to source it? Fancy giving a squad a coat as Emperor's Spears.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

xtothez posted:

Very unlikely to be this year. They already confirmed that the Wrath & Rapture daemons boxed set, Chapter Approved and new Vigilus / Calgar stuff will all be out in December, leaving very little room for anything else. GSC codex is most likely to be Jan/Feb. I'm not too bothered as I have plenty of primed neophytes left to paint over xmas.

CA is going to be interesting.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
I'm just about done putting together a Necron kill team, but am a few points shy. Are there any Necron players on here that would want to sell three Warriors, or maybe two Flayed Ones? I just don't want to buy a full kit in order to put a couple more models on the table, as I have no interest in getting back into the full 40k game.

If this kind of thing is frowned upon in the thread, I'll edit the post to remove my question and say I'm an idiot or something.

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Mulva posted:

Because you've already painted all your Acolytes, the superior troop choice?

Yep, they were good in 7E when I last played with GSC. Only used Nids & AdMech since 8th.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
I painted a thing for Horus Heresy but I suppose it works 10,000 years later... Ashen Memory, Legio Atarus Warhound Titan. Work in Progress, needs weapons + weathering. The base is just for display, she isn't glued on.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

CA is going to be interesting.

I hope the powerfists aren't restricted to IF/CF, but I'm not going to bet on it.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Finally, fist supremacy

Badablack
Apr 17, 2018
Acolytes are great for just being these dinky T3 guys with probably the most dangerous weapons in the game. Powerfists with no penalty to hit, clamps that will instantly kill almost any characters, drills that can potentially carve an extra 5 mortal wounds in something. Or they can chuck grenades stronger than battle cannon rounds.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MasterSlowPoke posted:

I hope the powerfists aren't restricted to IF/CF, but I'm not going to bet on it.

They gave chainswords to everyone after BA dropped so I would expect them to be wildly available.

Guess I'm making new Sergeants.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

BuffaloChicken posted:

I believe it is one of the Squat Pirates you sent! Thank you once again - I love all of them, and they see plenty of tabletop time.

This may seem like a long overdue update to those who have seen the model, but I actually honestly just finally finished my Imperial Knight now. Carno Taurus (aka Meat Bull) has been sitting at 99% done forever, and converting the "Stormspear Rocket Pod" on his back finally gave me the incentive to finish.

Added a bunch of blacklining, rust splotches, silver highlights, and assorted small details. The whole model looks much sharper and has significantly more pop to it. Very happy to finally have him finished!

Loving this. Only thing I'd say it 'needs' is some sort of servitor or indentured serf up there to reload it :)

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(

Lord Twisted posted:

I painted a thing for Horus Heresy but I suppose it works 10,000 years later... Ashen Memory, Legio Atarus Warhound Titan. Work in Progress, needs weapons + weathering. The base is just for display, she isn't glued on.

I love candy canes and on some level I want to taste your titan.

E: add snow effects and elves and poo poo. Put a Santa on top. It would be great!

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011

Badablack posted:

drills that can potentially carve an extra 5 mortal wounds in something.

An attack, so it's potentially 10. And if you buff them, it's potentially 15. For each one in a unit that can have 2 for every 5 models. Now realistically it's going to be like....maybe 6 a turn even with 3 attacks, but the potential is always there so they you can't exactly ignore them. I mean with buffs it's Strength 12 -3 AP hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, now save all 3 of those or the pain train rolls out. For what it brings, throwing one on for 30 just to keep someone scared isn't bad at all.

Just a fun little unit. Not so cheap you'd spam a million of them, not so expensive you couldn't gussy one up to scare the living poo poo out of someone. With the buffs it can get and ambush it can threaten....basically anyone on the board at any time unless you are super careful with your unit placement. Or someone can just sacrifice a vehicle to run them in. Good time.

Stephenls
Feb 21, 2013
[REDACTED]

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

They gave chainswords to everyone after BA dropped so I would expect them to be wildly available.

Guess I'm making new Sergeants.

Not true. As per the most recent Codex: Space Marines errata, Intercessors Sergeants can still only take power swords. They can take chainswords in Kill Team, but I assumed when I saw that that it’s because KT has no separate Blood Angel rules and it’s just easier to blanket allow that than to carve out some weird exception where all SM chapters are equal in KT except for Blood Angels getting a single extra piece of wargear (and they didn't want to deny Blood Angel Intercessor Sergeants chainswords in KT because that would mean people wouldn't be able to use all the upgrade sprue doodads for 'em).

That said, there’s no power sword on the basic Intercessors sprue, just on the Ultramarines upgrade sprue, but they didn’t make power swords an Ultramarines-exclusive item, and Ultramarines, like Imperial Fists, are supported out of the basic SM codex rather than having a codex of their own.

So my hope is that power fists will become available to all the Codex-compliant chapters, but we can’t be sure.

(I modeled my Raven Guard Stalker-Bolter Intercessor Sergeant with a chainsword because it's way more likely I'll ever get to play Kill Team than 40k proper, I think chainswords look cooler, and if I ever do use him in a game of regular 40k it's easy enough to say "Yeah I modeled him for Kill Team but in basic 40k Intercessor Sergeants can't take chainswords so that counts as a power sword.")

Stephenls fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 29, 2018

nite_moogle
Jul 10, 2008

xtothez posted:

:krad: I have such an easy Christmas list this year.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Power Swords are on the DA, SW and Deathwatch sprues, so that's why they get access to them. Initially BA did not have access to a Power Sword, but was given access after the extremely well selling 30th anniversary Vet Sergeant model came out.

BrownieMinusEye
Apr 22, 2008

Oven Wrangler

Mulva posted:

An attack, so it's potentially 10. And if you buff them, it's potentially 15. For each one in a unit that can have 2 for every 5 models. Now realistically it's going to be like....maybe 6 a turn even with 3 attacks, but the potential is always there so they you can't exactly ignore them. I mean with buffs it's Strength 12 -3 AP hitting on 2s rerolling 1s, now save all 3 of those or the pain train rolls out. For what it brings, throwing one on for 30 just to keep someone scared isn't bad at all.

Just a fun little unit. Not so cheap you'd spam a million of them, not so expensive you couldn't gussy one up to scare the living poo poo out of someone. With the buffs it can get and ambush it can threaten....basically anyone on the board at any time unless you are super careful with your unit placement. Or someone can just sacrifice a vehicle to run them in. Good time.

Still learning the rules here, but question about the drills: What's the point of them causing mortal wounds versus just normal damage? They only do the MWs after already damaging the target so isn't it effectively just a gimmicky damage dice roll? Unless I'm not understanding that "damaging" a target comes before saving throws.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

BrownieMinusEye posted:

Still learning the rules here, but question about the drills: What's the point of them causing mortal wounds versus just normal damage? They only do the MWs after already damaging the target so isn't it effectively just a gimmicky damage dice roll? Unless I'm not understanding that "damaging" a target comes before saving throws.

You are correct, you'd need to wound with a S8-12 AP-3 hit before the mortal wound rolls take effect, so each hit is potentially D1+0-5MW. Against a Stormshield or something you're not going to see great results, but against a Knight without Sanctuary or other equivalent units with good range-only invulns you might...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Finished my team of Wraithblades yesterday at last. At the amazing speed of one a week.

Outside of basing I still need to pick who is going to be the leader and give it a leader mark of some kind. Either thinking a symbol on the head or painting the vane in a different colour.

Team pose!