Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

We have normalized the weird's. They used to be able to get pretty consistent laughs punching at the the non normal's, but the relative increase in representation has made the dangerous other less other, and more human, and made jokes at their expense look a lot less good natured and a lot more abusive.

It's why they fight tooth and nail against representation, people who are different nonetheless look a lot more human when you view them outside a of lens of hostile propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
I like king of the hill, and it is a good show. Fight me.

:colbert:

Edit: it is by no means perfect. The portraying of certain 90's tropes are a bit much, but the show itself is good natured and treats people well.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A couple of those got a smile or a chuckle but probably only because I find them funny for reasons conservatives wouldn't.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Chilichimp posted:

*ahem*... BILL MAHER IS NOT A loving LIBERAL

Yes he is. He's not a leftist.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

I like king of the hill, and it is a good show. Fight me.

:colbert:

Edit: it is by no means perfect. The portraying of certain 90's tropes are a bit much, but the show itself is good natured and treats people well.

A little too well. I'd have decapitated Cotton Hill with a shovel in Hank's position or left him out in the desert.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Mantis42 posted:

He's a Libertarian.

Power Walrus
Dec 24, 2003

Fun Shoe
King of the Hill is a very sweet-natured show about the fragility of white suburbanites. As someone who grew up in suburban Texas, I adore it.

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.

Mantis42 posted:

No he isn't. He's a loving rear end in a top hat center right conservative that got in the good graces of liberals somehow.

People should watch the Corsi interview if they havent cause daaaaaaamn.

https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/1067976661696684032

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

screamin and creamin posted:

A little too well. I'd have decapitated Cotton Hill with a shovel in Hank's position or left him out in the desert.

That's sort of the point.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

He's a Libertarian.

Technically speaking, libertarians are liberals, because liberal is a really broad, imprecise term if used properly.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Heck Yes! Loam! posted:

No he isn't. He's a loving rear end in a top hat center right conservative that got in the good graces of liberals somehow.

He had a show on HBO and said mean things about George W Bush.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

theblackw0lf posted:

In an alternate universe Alabama kept the Florida panhandle and Gore was President

https://twitter.com/tripgabriel/status/1067966751139422208?s=21

It's all Michigan's fault for wanting Toledo. Blame Michigan.

In the end, Ohio got Toledo, and to compensate, the gov't took the UP away from Wisconsin and gave it to Michigan, so Wisconsin is the real loser in the Toledo War.

Well, that and Ohio for getting Toledo. :rimshot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toledo_War

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 29, 2018

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Lightning Knight posted:

Technically speaking, libertarians are liberals, because liberal is a really broad, imprecise term if used properly.

Yea, most political figures in America are liberals, except for the ones who are blatantly fascists.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

Hold on, need to go watch some Dave Rubin to check the validity of this assertion.

*disappears into the abyss of lovely right-wing propaganda for a few millenia*

Oh, as it turns out, the Koch brothers are actually classical liberals, my mistake.

edit:

"American Liberal" and liberal are two different things and the common use of liberal in America today uses the big L meaning. When Sean Hannity is complaining about the "Liberal Agenda" he's not actually talking about the Koch brothers.

Chilichimp fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Nov 29, 2018

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Punching up, check; pointing out hypocrisy, check. I like this one.

I don't like this one from my poo poo-gibbon senator:

https://twitter.com/NateBrownNews/status/1067931114658947073

Wouldn't want extremists and foreign proxies to mess with the sovereignty of Yemen, which is why we must support Saudi Arabia!

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

Hold on, need to go watch some Dave Rubin to check the validity of this assertion.

Oh, as it turns out, the Koch brothers are actually liberals, my mistake.

I mean yes, they are. They are also conservative. The usage of these terms in the American context is very, very different from how they're usually used in an international context and doesn't really make sense. A better term for a conservative is probably a reactionary and all of the people we're talking about support neoliberal free market capitalism to some degree.

That is not to say that the way right-wingers use "liberal" is correct because it's even stupider than the normal way it's used in America.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I mean yes, they are. They are also conservative. The usage of these terms in the American context is very, very different from how they're usually used in an international context and doesn't really make sense. A better term for a conservative is probably a reactionary and all of the people we're talking about support neoliberal free market capitalism to some degree.

That is not to say that the way right-wingers use "liberal" is correct because it's even stupider than the normal way it's used in America.

Right, but we don't get to choose how language evolves around us. In America, a liberal is center-left, ideologically (to non-stupid people); and "the monolith that is the left in it's entirety" (to conservatives who are, you're right, not conservatives, but Conservatives, which I'll go even further and say are better described as fascist pigs).

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Like you can just take any bigotry as just hyperbolic jokes, but you'd be able to do that anytime any conservative comedian did anything, and just define any very bigoted or conservative joke conservative 4 real if it's unfunny but clever satire if it was a funny joke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYDtSg-NaqQ

I remember a similar gag in the first Ace Ventura movie.

Also, for church humor, http://www.larknews.com/ seems vastly superior to anything the bee shits out.

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Chilichimp posted:

Oh, as it turns out, the Koch brothers are actually classical liberals, my mistake.

edit:

"American Liberal" and liberal are two different things and the common use of liberal in America today uses the big L meaning. When Sean Hannity is complaining about the "Liberal Agenda" he's not actually talking about the Koch brothers.

It may sound pedantic but it's important to make the distinction because if we ever get passed the whole fascist thing, this is where the next battle lines are going to be drawn. There will be a realignment and liberals will return to the right (er, maybe more like the right will return to the liberals) and the leftists will be, well, the left.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

Right, but we don't get to choose how language evolves around us. In America, a liberal is center-left, ideologically (to non-stupid people); and "the monolith that is the left in it's entirety" (to conservatives, who are you're right not conservatives, but Conservatives, which I'll go even further and say are better described as fascist pigs).

The problem is that the American "center left" is at best actually center right, while the actual American left died in the '70s. Casting the center right as "the left" is what leads us to arguments because we have to justify why our politicians are voting for really hosed up poo poo but still better than their (fascist) opposition in a way that isn't true in most other countries, which have actual left parties of various influence levels.

This is to say nothing of how right-wingers view the political spectrum, which is really stupid. Arguably the view of the American political spectrum as "right" versus "center left" instead of "far right" versus "center right" is a right-wing construct.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Eh, I think Americans have actually become far more understanding of the various political definitions we use since the internet became common and I'm actually a bit surprised someone on this site doesn't know that liberal =\= all leftists (if that's even the case).

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

https://twitter.com/christyncincy/status/1067948096842272768

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

lizardman posted:

It may sound pedantic but it's important to make the distinction because if we ever get passed the whole fascist thing, this is where the next battle lines are going to be drawn. There will be a realignment and liberals will return to the right (er, maybe more like the right will return to the liberals) and the leftists will be, well, the left.

I guarantee you that until the millennials are dying off, "liberals" will identify as "of the left" by sheer force of propaganda alone.

The Right-wing has draw the battle line at "thinks government is good" ffs.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

I guarantee you that until the millennial are dying off, "liberals" will identify as "of the left" by sheer force of propaganda alone.

The Right-wing has draw the battle line at "thinks government is good" ffs.

I mean I would argue that we should be doing our best to counter this narrative since it's actively harmful to getting progressive policy implemented. A major problem among liberals and even social democrats in the United States is acceptance of the idea that "better than Republicans" is good enough.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

It's probably that to be honest.

unhealthy, old man problems hit all the time.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I feel like AOC and Bernie are dragging the "center right" into social democracy pretty fuckin' effectively. It might be moving glacially slow, but it's moving.

Giggy posted:

Eh, I think Americans have actually become far more understanding of the various political definitions we use since the internet became common and I'm actually a bit surprised someone on this site doesn't know that liberal =\= all leftists (if that's even the case).

We've got MAGAheads on this site who absolutely buy into that poo poo... they just don't post in D&D.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Chilichimp posted:

I feel like AOC and Bernie are dragging the "center right" into social democracy pretty fuckin' effectively. It might be moving glacially slow, but it's moving.

I would agree and be optimistic about this if we didn't need to reorganize the entire world economy within about a decade to avoid total system failure of the Earth's biosphere, but since I like the prospect of still having insects and agriculture, this frankly isn't good enough.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

FizFashizzle posted:

good shot of Melania though

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

FizFashizzle posted:

Honestly, it's like 30 degrees and blowing 20-30 here in the DC area, he is probably just cold.

Chilichimp
Oct 24, 2006

TIE Adv xWampa

It wamp, and it stomp

Grimey Drawer

Lightning Knight posted:

I would agree and be optimistic about this if we didn't need to reorganize the entire world economy within about a decade to avoid total system failure of the Earth's biosphere, but since I like the prospect of still having insects and agriculture, this frankly isn't good enough.

I don't believe that accepting global warming and taking concrete steps to stave off climate catastrophe should really be seen as a progressive platform plank.

That's one of those issues where you really just need to elect democrats to get any loving traction, since Republicans are living in a cocoon of denial made out of the bribery payments from fossil fuel lobbyists.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

why not both

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Lightning Knight posted:

I frequently disagree with your particular wording re: climate change apocalypse, but otoh we strongly agree that we'd rather not find out who's right

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

FizFashizzle posted:

I've been waiting for this moment for a while

The nice thing is, if that's it, this administration will . . . leak it

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I frequently disagree with your particular wording re: climate change apocalypse, but otoh we strongly agree that we'd rather not find out who's right

I have bad news if you're under the age of, oh, 60, in that we will be finding out together fairly shortly.

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I poo poo myself on purpose!

Ate My Balls Redux
Aug 2, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chilichimp posted:

I don't believe that accepting global warming and taking concrete steps to stave off climate catastrophe should really be seen as a progressive platform plank.

That's one of those issues where you really just need to elect democrats to get any loving traction, since Republicans are living in a cocoon of denial made out of the bribery payments from fossil fuel lobbyists.

Yeah, we definitely want to get those carbon taxes going, that is gonna save us

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

actually the secret service is in charge of handling the disposal of Donald Trump's anal output, and while they almost certainly hate him a lot, they have been quite confidential about their work

:fishmech:

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Chilichimp posted:

Or you can vote for Dems and end up with Joe Manchin as the chair of the senate committee that would draft any climate bills...

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Guze posted:

I poo poo myself on purpose!

Worked for Ted Nugent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

why are we people the word of some twitter randos