Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I don't know about Season 18, but 12 and 19 were both chosen because there is actually some material to improve to HD quality. A lot of the other seasons only have standard quality video, so there's no benefit to the blu-ray aside from upscaling and special features. Maybe Season 18 also has some usable HD footage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

Jerusalem posted:

Demons of the Punjab is probably the "best' episode so far for me, but The Woman Who Fell To Earth is my favorite, and I thought Rosa and The Witchfinders were both strong. Kerblam! I really, really enjoyed until I thought about it for more than 5 minutes (:smith:)

The Ghost Monument, Arachnids in the UK, and The Tsuranga Conundrum have all been perfectly fine episodes, I wouldn't say there has been a bad episode this season. That said, there have definitely been recurring issues of the writing not always being the tightest, some odd editing choices and a tendency to abandon decoys the moment the "twist" is revealed which leaves a lot of (explicitly) unanswered questions. All in all the season has been a winner so far, helped immensely by the tremendous chemistry between the cast, Graham being fantastic, and Jodie Whittaker just absolutely owning the role of the Doctor.

Exactly this.
I know I often say there's no bad Who episodes, it's hyperbole sure, but this season has been consistently good.

The ratings support this to, being some of the best non-special numbers since around 2012.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

cargohills posted:

I don't know about Season 18, but 12 and 19 were both chosen because there is actually some material to improve to HD quality. A lot of the other seasons only have standard quality video, so there's no benefit to the blu-ray aside from upscaling and special features. Maybe Season 18 also has some usable HD footage.

Leisure Hive, Full Circle, State of Decay, Logopolis all had stuff that can be ungraded.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

EmptyVessel posted:

*Are you maybe confused because the episode was set in a made up place? I'm complaining about James referring in the episode to a previous witch problem, that historically actually happened, where the writer confused Berwick** (most northern town in England) for North Berwick (40 miles north of Berwick and in Scotland).

I was just suggesting an alternative theory about why it might have been deliberately confused. No biggie if you want to decide it's an error you're irritated about, it made no difference to me.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
This is the worst season of the revival so far imo

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

ewe2 posted:

I was just suggesting an alternative theory about why it might have been deliberately confused. No biggie if you want to decide it's an error you're irritated about, it made no difference to me.

Are you actually capable of posting literally anything that isn't just a longer version of "u mad, bro?"

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

seizure later posted:

It's better than Series 2

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

seizure later posted:

Ehh, I don't know about that. Series 3 (Martha/10) had an extremely weak first half that was briefly buoyed by Human Nature-thru-Utopia before completely botching the landing with two of the worst revival episodes in The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords. The biggest problem with declaring this season to be the worst of the revival (aside from the fact that we still have three episodes left) is that it hasn't been memorably bad like the worst of the RTD or Moffat years. It just exists. I'm worried Jodie is going to continue the tradition of great Doctors squandered by poor writing.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Ehh, I don't know about that. Series 3 (Martha/10) had an extremely weak first half that was briefly buoyed by Human Nature-thru-Utopia before completely botching the landing with two of the worst revival episodes in The Sound of Drums/Last of the Time Lords. The biggest problem with declaring this season to be the worst of the revival (aside from the fact that we still have three episodes left) is that it hasn't been memorably bad like the worst of the RTD or Moffat years. It just exists. I'm worried Jodie is going to continue the tradition of great Doctors squandered by poor writing.

I think that’s a good descriptor for this series. It’s good, but it’s very autopilot. Like a good band that ends up in that “more of the same” album cycle rut.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I'd say 6-9 are worse than this series.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It’s completely atypical for that Doctor and, honestly, a bit dull

How dare you

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
This series hasn’t been bad, but it sure as hell has been OK.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Jodie reminds me a lot of the fifth Doctor

Both in how she's Team Parent and generally really nice but with an edge that is just begging to come out, and in how she's drowned under being those things without that edge ever getting to show up much.

The Fifth Doctor REALLY shined when he got to define himself as a force unto his own, shed his nice image and be forceful and impactful. This rarely ever happened for the poor guy, but is subject to probably his greatest moment in Caves.

So far Jodie hasn't gotten any moments like that in my watch through. Here's hoping she does

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

How dare you

Look I love Baker and I’m probably a bigger fan of the JNT era than most folks, but watching him whine about entropy with Adric in tow for an entire season was just too much.

sunnyboy
May 10, 2011

Hawkmen Diiiiiiiiiiiiiiive!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Look I love Baker and I’m probably a bigger fan of the JNT era than most folks, but watching him whine about entropy with Adric in tow for an entire season was just too much.

Perhaps, but we did get to see the end of Adric. Totally. Worth. It.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Davros1 posted:

I'd say 6-9 are worse than this series.

Yeah, like the only episode from those years I'd consider rewatching is The Doctor's Wife. (edit: Day of the Doctor as well, I guess)

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Nov 29, 2018

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Heaven Sent!!!

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Mummy on the Orient Express, Flatline.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

I love series 8 and 9. They have a few major duds (Kill the Moon, In the Forest of the Night, Sleep No More) but the rest is at worst pretty solid and at best the absolute pinnacle of Doctor Who quality.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Kill the Moon is technically bad, but it’s so batshit that it loops back around for me again.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Season 8 is in my top three seasons of the revival! It's only narrowly beaten out by season 4 because Donna was just such a great companion. Nothing touches season 5 for the number one spot.

Season 2 has a ton of problems but it at least feels like it is going somewhere even if I really disliked the Doctor/Rose dynamic. I'd put Season 3 below it for sure.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012
Season 3 has the two best stories of Tennant's run (Human Nature + Family of Blood/Blink) and all the monster of the week romps are solid. The dalek two-parter is a stinker and last of the time lords is an enormous anti-climax, but apart from those it's the most consistently watchable season of the revival.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

MysticalMachineGun posted:

The last few minutes of this episode with battling the Morax seemed really rushed to me. I was honestly expecting a cliffhanger when Bekka transformed.

I think it might've benefited from being a two-parter. Don't add much, just lengthen what's there, make the Doctor drowning the cliffhanger. "The Tsuranga Conundrum" might've worked better as a two-parted too.

Bicyclops posted:

I would definitely describe some episodes as "okay," but the only episode that I think I'd say was "bad" was Kerblam!, despite how enjoyable it was until the big reveal

That one felt like the script had been rewritten so much it just turned out nonsensical. They really should've done more with the company gaining sentience (aside from killing someone for no reason). The endpoint of corporations being people is one of them not liking the way it's run and turning against the execs.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Action Jacktion posted:

I think it might've benefited from being a two-parter.

Or at least another 5 minutes. All the regular episodes this season have clocked 50 minutes. This one ran 45. I wonder what the story is there.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
There have been 2 episodes so far this season that I might ever bother to watch again, so even if the last 2 episodes are 55 year high points (and that's a big if) it's easily coming in last, and a ways behind series 2 at that.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Being frank I’d rather have a season that is all over the place in terms of quality than one that is aggressively OK besides one genuine shitfest of an episode.

Though that said Kill The Moon was so aggressively poo poo that it killed the season it was in stone dead.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Action Jacktion posted:

That one felt like the script had been rewritten so much it just turned out nonsensical. They really should've done more with the company gaining sentience (aside from killing someone for no reason). The endpoint of corporations being people is one of them not liking the way it's run and turning against the execs.

I do kinda wish we'd instead gotten a story of 'corporation becomes person, turns out to be a better person than the people running it'. That just seems like a really fun idea.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Cleretic posted:

I do kinda wish we'd instead gotten a story of 'corporation becomes person, turns out to be a better person than the people running it'. That just seems like a really fun idea.

Maybe that's where Kerblamm! was going, and they were like "well why is the bad guy pissed off? dunno slap some poo poo together... who hates corporations?"

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
One thing I will say about this season is that I really enjoy the subdued synthy soundtracks, particularly some of the stuff in Rosa. It’s a nice change from the bombastic orchestral stuff from the last 10 seasons.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
One thing I'll give Kill the Moon - it had a great final scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk58yAmBJaM

Even if the rest of the episode building up to it was crap, that was a great moment for Clara.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Plus it leads into Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, which is one hell of a 1-2 Punch and two of my favorite revival episodes.

Edit: Let's not.... let's not talk about In the Forest of the Night..... :negative:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Jerusalem posted:

Plus it leads into Mummy on the Orient Express and Flatline, which is one hell of a 1-2 Punch and two of my favorite revival episodes.

Edit: Let's not.... let's not talk about In the Forest of the Night..... :negative:

Listen to the trees and don't take your antipsychotic medication. Great messages.

Stabbatical
Sep 15, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

Listen to the trees

Well, the Cheem seemed like a pretty sensible lot. Roots everywhere.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Stabbatical posted:

Roots everywhere.

Good point, how IS Captain Jack doing nowadays?

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me whenever Graham was on screen this episode
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aYDfwUJzYQg

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Me whenever King James spoke about Witches
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDr9axb7X7E&t=52s

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
Off topic question, but in Mummy On The Orient Express, the Doctor mentions that at one point, they had even stuck a set of tickets in his jacket pocket to try to get him to go. I remember a scene in one of the Big Finish Audios where he finds them and tries to get his companion to go but they refuse. I feel like it was either the 7th Doctor during the Ace/Hex arc or possibly the 6th with Evelyn but I'm drawing a blank when checking through the scripts and the wiki doesn't have anything. Anyone else recall this?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Unless I'm forgetting another reference somewhere, the Doctor is referring to the final scene of season 5 when he says goodbye to the newly married Amy and Rory, then entices them back into the TARDIS after getting a phonecall about a Mummy running around loose on the Orient Express.

Which I absolutely love, because based on the episode, like 4 seconds after convincing them to run out on their family to spend their honeymoon having this adventure with him, he took them somewhere completely differently while probably scoffing at them for not realizing what an obvious trap it was :allears:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

One thing I will say about this season is that I really enjoy the subdued synthy soundtracks, particularly some of the stuff in Rosa. It’s a nice change from the bombastic orchestral stuff from the last 10 seasons.

I don't usually buy soundtracks. But I'll buy this season's if they let me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Emerson Cod posted:

Off topic question, but in Mummy On The Orient Express, the Doctor mentions that at one point, they had even stuck a set of tickets in his jacket pocket to try to get him to go. I remember a scene in one of the Big Finish Audios where he finds them and tries to get his companion to go but they refuse. I feel like it was either the 7th Doctor during the Ace/Hex arc or possibly the 6th with Evelyn but I'm drawing a blank when checking through the scripts and the wiki doesn't have anything. Anyone else recall this?

The TARDIS Wikia doesn't mention it, and that's exactly the sort of reference they jump on.