Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Nice dunk by Davie...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Lone Goat posted:

Gotta make some false conflict/suspense somewhere.

Yeah I guess. I bought it too.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

If this is a crucifixion joke, I approve, because I made that joke too

:respek:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Carl gettin hosed up

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"I'm a free agent" shut the hell up Mike you're not a free agent you're in the minority

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

jesus Carl and Davie got blasted

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Carl's the most alcoholic player I've ever seen.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Davie is shocked, SHOCKED, that Mike doesn't know what a black card is.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
Carl is staggering in his sense of control in the game.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Shneak posted:

Carl's the most alcoholic player I've ever seen.

Counterpoint: Brett Labelle

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

"The timing is right" no poo poo Allison, you don't have numbers anymore!

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

She took negotiation class and is making the first offer, the gently caress are they teaching them at Yale?

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.
Angelina must be good at asking to speak to the manager

Midnightghoul
Oct 1, 2003

COME ON DON'T BE SCURRED
Jeff should have made her sit out AND take all that stuff

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Lone Goat posted:

She took negotiation class and is making the first offer, the gently caress are they teaching them at Yale?

That was an ENORMOUS first offer too, what the gently caress

Jeff was really amused though, and that was great

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

No way anyone else cares she did that lol

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

That was an ENORMOUS first offer too, what the gently caress

It was a lot of stuff they don't need anymore, Jeff rightly called it a lowball

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

Lone Goat posted:

No way anyone else cares she did that lol

They already think she's transparently doing things for jury votes :lol:

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Carl and Davie using their experience with their heads on a swivel to counteract being dizzy.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

It was a lot of stuff they don't need anymore, Jeff rightly called it a lowball

Sure but they could have started with far less.

Adding the coffee and poo poo was actually a drat lampshade on it.

"All the fishing gear" sounds like you at least think it's a big offer until you minimize it yourself by adding a bunch of other poo poo

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

The Bloop posted:

Sure but they could have started with far less.

Adding the coffee and poo poo was actually a drat lampshade on it.

"All the fishing gear" sounds like you at least think it's a big offer until you minimize it yourself by adding a bunch of other poo poo

The idea behind adding all that stuff is to make it sound way bigger than it is so he accepts without thinking about it.

I do agree that she would have been better off ending with the fishing gear instead of starting with it.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

how many times has Carl decided that they should make a big pot of rice lol

no wonder they almost ran out

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

IcePhoenix posted:

how many times has Carl decided that they should make a big pot of rice lol

no wonder they almost ran out

Good for him. He ate, and it cost him nothing.

He's a dingus, though

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

lmao the dings

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

Man, Carl played an incredibly bad game

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

Wow that preview... Say it ain't so

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Get Carl some 1 on 1 time with Boston Rob, then let him come back and try to play the godfather game properly :smug:

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
Boo Gabby, boo!

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
I appreciate that Gabby is willing to turn ruthless. It's a shame that no one will respect her for it because she's already been perceived as a weak, emotional player so any move she makes will either be

A. ascribed to other players, or
B. dismissed as a bad idea founded in womanly hysteria even if she pulls it off. Especially if she pulls it off.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I... can't process the preview.

Carl's a dummie but it was worth it for the beer and the dings.

Christian's a legend after that Immunity win. I was feeling a little icky about Alec getting in Gabby's head. Like, fair game and fighting for your life so I'm not mad or anything. But it felt sleazy. But then Christian turns it around on him by talking him to death and it just became amazing. Christian broke Alec.

I'm a little torn on his decision to break up the Davids this early. Carl didn't really give Gabby a choice but it seems early to make enemies of Davie AND Nick. But on the other hand losing Allison and potentially Gabby seems bad for Christian's game. So I guess he kind of had to do it too. Reality is Christian's probably just in that position where he's gonna have to ball out to win this since he's such a target. We're just not used to seeing that from the nerd. I never much liked Cochran or Spencer so he's my #1.

Gabby on the other hand absolutely had to do it and to her credit appeared ahead of Carl on it. Even though he made it necessary she seemed to read the need to do it before that. I don't know if she can flip the perception of her game this late or find the right combination of allies to win this, but she seems like she'll make a run at it.

I generally was kind of indifferent to Alec but he kind of rubbed me the wrong way that episode so I'm glad he's gone before it could get bad. He didn't seem to be handling things going against him well. Then again none of the Goliaths really are besides maybe oddly Angelina. They all have a lot of pride for players who backstabbed like everyone on the island and ended up at their mercy. At least Angelina's anger is justified, if highly amusing.

Angelina has totally turned a corner for me and I'm just so amused by her nonsense now. Its gonna be fun to see her sitting at the end talking about what a great game she played while everyone rolls their eyes. Mike's "she's basically right but she's incredibly annoying" line kind of nailed it. Angelina isn't dumb. She basically knows how to play. She just has absolutely no guile and half the charm she thinks she has. Every move she makes is so transparent that they just openly poo poo talk them in Tribal. That rice thing made sense. It just ain't gonna help because everyone knows what you're doing.

Nick getting an idol at the same time that he seems to be blending in seems really, really good for him. I'm not totally sure why Davie's still helping him though.

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

I think it’s kind of bullshit that Carl found a valid alternate solution to the challenge, but nope you also have to read our minds, no immunity for you.

Elphiem
Dec 4, 2005

CFC Fan
Christian just royally hosed himself by sending Carl home

Carl was perceived as the head of the snake, now Christian will be.

Christian just gave up the numbers advantage to the goliaths.

He sides with Alison and Mike who have shown him no loyalty, and sends home Carl who has only shown him loyalty.

Basically Gabby whining made Christian throw his whole gameplan out of the window.

This isn't 4D chess, it's just a dumb move.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

garthoneeye posted:

I think it’s kind of bullshit that Carl found a valid alternate solution to the challenge, but nope you also have to read our minds, no immunity for you.
Yeah honestly that kind of bothered me. It probably only would have bought Carl two more days (Similar to Dan vs. the Nullifier) but still.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Maybe it's because both episodes were back to back but I found Gabby kind of hypocritical? She blasts Carl for telling Kara about the vote plan, because she was close to Alec. Then she gets uppity about people not telling her about the Alison plan because she was close to Alison.

It's different in that, yes, Kara was brought in while Carl was already in an alliance with Gabby. But it was the first thing that stuck out to me.

I also kinda feel that Angelina just got buried in the second episode. I don't see how she could win, honestly, if everyone is mocking her.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Eh, Carl got the wrong word. That there happened to be 2 possible words doesn't really seem unfair. Like, if you put the wrong words in the crossword and manage to make them work you're still wrong. Its not like Carl was at any more of a disadvantage of guessing the right word than everyone els.e

Any way you cut it I don't see how Christian's position improves by blindly following the orders of Carl, Davie, and Nick to blindside two people they know he's close with. That was a power play by them and while Christian maybe could have tried to go along with it and then make a move later he was potentially risking losing all power if that trio are solid and if they have Angelina. He does that I don't see how he and Gabby aren't dead men walking and just hoping Nick or Davie decide to flip soon.

Honestly, the fact that we didn't see any Christian/Nick discussing Carl/Gabby and that Christian blindsided Nick seemed hugely unspoken in the possible death of the Mason-Dixon thing. Like if Christian didn't trust Nick then that speaks really badly of his position with the David alliance. And that Davie and Nick were still idol hunting together seems to support that.

Like I said, I think Christian's just in a bad spot and will have to play a hell of a game to get to the end.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Nov 29, 2018

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost
Christian's :words: is something I never expected to be used as a weapon; I was more expecting a potential farewell speech getting cut off. It's cool that he managed to get all three of his personal goals.

I realize the preview is edit3, but if Christian gets one sniff that he's up next, he'll use his idol. I'm not entirely seeing Gabby's play here, unless she thinks she can sneak by and still get a jury vote from Christian.

I'm assuming Alec's farewell will never see the light of day after breaking the ndc.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

ApplesandOranges posted:

Maybe it's because both episodes were back to back but I found Gabby kind of hypocritical? She blasts Carl for telling Kara about the vote plan, because she was close to Alec. Then she gets uppity about people not telling her about the Alison plan because she was close to Alison.

It's different in that, yes, Kara was brought in while Carl was already in an alliance with Gabby. But it was the first thing that stuck out to me.

Eh, they don't seem super similar to me. Gabby is supposed to be Carl's ally. Kara isn't. The Davids keeping Kara in the dark would have been theoretically fine since it was her alliance they were targeting. But Carl plotting for everyone (including Goliaths in Mike and Angelina) to blindside Gabby is a different thing, I think.

And I mean, she didn't freak out about it. She just took it as evidence that she was right that she was outside the David guys group and got kind of smug about outplaying Carl.

InsensitiveSeaBass posted:

I'm assuming Alec's farewell will never see the light of day after breaking the ndc.

Ha. I forgot about that when I was snickering about how we didn't see it or find out if the Goliaths voted him out (it sounds like they did from the next Tribal).

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Carl was just such a mediocre player. Terrible idea to not loop Gabby into the vote; the rest of that alliance shares the blame as well. I don't think the appearance of him pulling the strings (read: organizing the votes around the obvious next boots) would have trumped his bossiness and arrogance in the eyes of a final jury, especially when the other 4 Davids were such obviously superior strategic players. But he was somewhat tunnel visioned about a tedious David march to the end, which obviously didn't benefit Mike White.

Gabby kinda had to make a move, but she really is one of the more annoying players to watch in recent times. Like hey, maybe being labelled a hysteric isn't too far off base if you're having emotional breakdowns multiple times per episode? The overbearing strong patriarchal figure hit a nerve with her, but the irony is that she's making her bed with two equally strong women who I think still have the edge over her in a FTC situation. And drat, if, per the preview, she really does axe the person upon whom she's been fully emotionally dependent since the beginning of the game, that's...gonna require some damage control, to say the least. Hoping she gets the boot soon so we're spared from her wild oscillations between teary-eyed despair and self-righteous confidence, but I suspect she's gonna be sitting at the end.

Nonetheless, this is a really interesting final 8.

Vernacular fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 29, 2018

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

STAC Goat posted:

Eh, Carl got the wrong word. That there happened to be 2 possible words doesn't really seem unfair. Like, if you put the wrong words in the crossword and manage to make them work you're still wrong. Its not like Carl was at any more of a disadvantage of guessing the right word than everyone els.e

His disadvantage was that his wrong word was so close to the real answer that Davie and Alison could use his incorrect guess to get to the end. Honestly it just seems like the producers didn't realize they gave them the extra letters to form Perception.

I'm actually liking Davie more, which is something I did not expect given I didn't like him at all based on the press before the game. I doubt he'll win, but he's a fun character.

Anyway, eight people left, exactly half of them Davids and the other half Goliath. And there's a perfect opportunity for an all female alliance to start brewing considering there have been four straight male vote outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, its arguably a production screw up to have multiple words possible. But it wasn't anything against any player. Everyone had to guess the right word. Carl just happened to be the one to guess a wrong one that fit.

Vernacular posted:

Carl was just such a mediocre player. Terrible idea to not loop Gabby into the vote; the rest of that alliance shares the blame as well. I don't think the appearance of him pulling the strings (read: organizing the votes around the obvious next boots) would have trumped his bossiness and arrogance in the eyes of a final jury, especially when the other 4 Davids were such obviously superior strategic players. But he was somewhat tunnel visioned about a tedious David march to the end, which obviously didn't benefit Mike White.

I think Carl was right to want the Goliath Pagonging, but of course it was moronic to assume Mike and Kara would be all for it while icing out Gabby.

If Carl had managed to get to the end playing like that I think he would have had a shot to win. Its not like he was coming off as a Phillip/Coach figure head making a fool of themselves while smarter players used them. Carl DID make some moves of his own and this plan seemed to be driven by him. But I doubt Carl ever could have gotten near the end playing like this. He probably didn't HAVE to go this soon if hadn't iced out alliance mates, but he probably would have been soon I think.

And Yeah, however it works out this is a very good season and a very interesting Final 8. There's not one of them I'd flat out call a "dud" right now. Even Angelina.

Wasn't there some buzz that the producers hated this season for some reason?

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 07:38 on Nov 29, 2018