Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

It would be very cool if the alleged new Switch was a bit more powerful, and it gave us a better frame rate in some games like Botw. That would be worth an upgrade

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

It should be less powerful just to gently caress with everyone

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

New switch is all digital and has no switch cartridge slot.

But it is backwards compatible with the 3ds and Ds, and has a 3ds cartridge slot.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Instead of a pack in game it should refuse to play the first game you buy for it.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

But it is backwards compatible with the 3ds and Ds, and has a 3ds cartridge slot.

Don't play with me like this.

Stanos
Sep 22, 2009

The best 57 in hockey.
In order to cut down on people dropping their switches while mobile The New Nintendo Switch will bring back sharper corners so the pain of crab hands will force you to put it in the dock

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

THE loving MOON used Struggle!

VVedit: lol

THE FUCKING MOON fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Nov 29, 2018

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

THE loving MOON posted:

THE loving MOON used Struggle!

MY DICK toughed it out so you wouldn't be sad! Hang in there!

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Danakir posted:

They're not talking to gamers. They're talking to investors. Investors only care about growth. A company that only makes as much today as it did last year is literally a complete failure from their perspective because their investment hasn't grown whatsoever. That's why analysts tend to bemoan missing targets that seem totally unrealistic and unnecessary on the ground. They're not looking for the company to sustain itself but to experience explosive (quite possibly unsustainable) growth to please investors. Their recommendations are solely tailored to what makes the best ROI.

It's dumb but considering the target audience, that's by design I'd say.

I do target setting + planning + tracking for a pretty large business that is entirely private so the shareholders are like, the owner

It's literally just based on the simplest math you can think of. You can spend 3 months doing a really good, detailed buildup with a lot of analysis and defend it to the CFO and he'll be like "Yeah I agree, but it's not enough" and then you just have to work backwards to at least say "Ok so my actual, accurate buildup is X, here are a bunch of "initiatives" we'll have to do to get the number the owner wants" which is code for if this doesn't work I at least told you it wouldn't and please also give me the resources I need to do it

But then for your entire year, performance is 100% tracked against that target. You can be 30% up on last year but if the target was 32% up it doesn't matter, you missed your target by 2%. Nobody remembers the weird mental gymnastics you had to do to get this imaginary number in, and you have to sell that number back to the team actually doing the work just as much as you have to sell that number to the investor so if there's a big enough gap people just go "gently caress it" and leave.

Now if you're a public investor choosing where to put your money, the "say gently caress it and leave" option is instantaneous and has very little downside.

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Has anyone had any issues with uploading videos to twitter? I've done it before but tonight it's just sitting there spinning and spinning and not doing anything else. I've tried like 10 times, reset the system, and my internet is perfectly fine.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Somebody was asking earlier about Steamworld Dig and the general consensus was that you could safely skip 1 and just go right to 2 which has more content and polish. This is all absolutely true and I started with 2 myself when it first came out, I just went back and played 1.

I actually liked it better than 2. It's half the length, but it feels better paced, there's a nice slow build up to the final area that 2 doesn't get. They're both good, but I wish I'd played them in order

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

Looks ok, shame about how anime it is.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

organburner posted:

Looks ok, shame about how anime it is.
This sort of thing happens when you have an anime game based on an anime

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

This sort of thing happens when you have an anime game based on an anime

Yeah, it just got me thinking about having non-anime tank games on the switch. Wonder if that's gonna happen.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

All those non-anime tank games like uh... hmm... World of Tanks?

wait poo poo

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

organburner posted:

Yeah, it just got me thinking about having non-anime tank games on the switch. Wonder if that's gonna happen.

I believe there is a $35 version of Battlezone available

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

homeless snail posted:

All those non-anime tank games like uh... hmm... World of Tanks?

wait poo poo

Well poo poo.

I guess the venn diagram for anime autists and tank autists are a near circle.
Too much anime is just too much anime for me though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

organburner posted:

Well poo poo.

I guess the venn diagram for anime autists and tank autists are a near circle.
Too much anime is just too much anime for me though.

You're actually not far off the mark; There's an entire sub-culture of miltary otaku in Japan.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The real question is, where my anime helicopter games at

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.

Yinlock posted:

Nintendo somehow managed to hang on during the Wii U days, a console that nobody except me actually owned

why people keep thinking they're doomed is beyond me

Nintendo made a ton of money with the original Wii & DS, so much so there were crazy estimates that they could have had 2 failed console cycles and still kept afloat. They are no where near doomed.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

King Keltair posted:

Noob time - just bought a switch and all the peripherals, and was looking into the games. Am I correct in thinking that it's only worth buying games as digital from the eShop due to the gold coins/points system? (Barring a massive discount at an amazon or something).
Go to the physical games icon on the main menu and press +. The last option lets you redeem the game and get the same funbucks you'd get from a digital copy.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's incorrect, you get funbucks, but only like a tenth of what you'd get digital

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/1068097241070649344

This 2014 racing game is being ported by Feral Interactive, who more recently crowbarred it onto mobile platforms.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

homeless snail posted:

The real question is, where my anime helicopter games at

That would be bad-rear end!

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture

The Kins posted:

https://twitter.com/Codemasters/status/1068097241070649344

This 2014 racing game is being ported by Feral Interactive, who more recently crowbarred it onto mobile platforms.

I'm so down. If they don't gently caress it up (and they usually do good porting work), I'll be so happy to finally have a decent car game on Switch.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L
so there's waifu tanks, boats, planes, consoles, animals, what else will have a drat 'waifu' thing to it?

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Dizz posted:

so there's waifu tanks, boats, planes, consoles, animals, what else will have a drat 'waifu' thing to it?

Isn't there a weird subreddit for this kind of thing?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Dizz posted:

If it exists there’s a waifu of it, friend. Anime is all encompassing and eternal.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Grid Autosport was okay.

Danakir
Feb 10, 2014

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I do target setting + planning + tracking for a pretty large business that is entirely private so the shareholders are like, the owner

It's literally just based on the simplest math you can think of. You can spend 3 months doing a really good, detailed buildup with a lot of analysis and defend it to the CFO and he'll be like "Yeah I agree, but it's not enough" and then you just have to work backwards to at least say "Ok so my actual, accurate buildup is X, here are a bunch of "initiatives" we'll have to do to get the number the owner wants" which is code for if this doesn't work I at least told you it wouldn't and please also give me the resources I need to do it

But then for your entire year, performance is 100% tracked against that target. You can be 30% up on last year but if the target was 32% up it doesn't matter, you missed your target by 2%. Nobody remembers the weird mental gymnastics you had to do to get this imaginary number in, and you have to sell that number back to the team actually doing the work just as much as you have to sell that number to the investor so if there's a big enough gap people just go "gently caress it" and leave.

Now if you're a public investor choosing where to put your money, the "say gently caress it and leave" option is instantaneous and has very little downside.

That's even more stupid and self-defeating than I expected. Although just as expected, the stupidity is baked in by design of the system rather than incompetence from the analysts.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
It's always so cringey when the Nintendo thread get on its 'business is so stupid ugh i could totally do a better job" cyclical rants

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

KingSlime posted:

It's always so cringey when the Nintendo thread get on its 'business is so stupid ugh i could totally do a better job" cyclical rants

Are you saying Nintendo can't be ran better than it currently is?

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

You would know, because you use words like "cringey" to describe it.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Business isn't a meritocracy. gently caress business men. Say they are stupid fucks every day.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Business isn't a meritocracy. gently caress business men. Say they are stupid fucks every day.

Lot of business men are stupid fucks sure but I still don't see what's so controversial about the idea that, in order to maintain the same momentum for next year, Nintendo should release a new sku or offer a price drop.

Maintaining momentum of the fantastic sales they enjoyed this this year is not the same thing as avoiding complete and total doom

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Let Business tremble at a Communistic revolution. The gamers have nothing to lose but their chains. They have a world to win.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I am always cringing. 24/7, every single day, every single minute, I cringe at the fact that we still don't have Mother 3.

And I will never stop.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
As a video game enthusiast my business plan says Nintendo will lose $3 billion USD dollars by not releasing Mother 3.

I invested my life savings of $137 in Nintendo stock, you're killing me Nintendo.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Hey thread, BestBuy is selling two Labo kits for $99 and I am interested in getting them for my nephew. He is turning 5 in January (so I was gonna do one kit for Xmas and one for his birthday). I’m worried it might be too complicated for him in spite of the fact that he’s very advanced for his age. Does anyone have experience with Labo who could advise me? Will he be too young?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

Mega64 posted:

As a video game enthusiast my business plan says Nintendo will lose $3 billion USD dollars by not releasing Mother 3.

I invested my life savings of $137 in Nintendo stock, you're killing me Nintendo.

I'll release ur mother 3, there's nothing speculative about that investment!!