Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Midnight Voyager posted:

I wish baptisms popped up better. I also wish I could handle the baptism of my grandkids while I'm at it.

You can manually baptize any of your kids (I think up to age 2) by right clicking on them - you only get the popup for the first one. The fact that you can't baptize your grandkids is annoying though since your landless children won't do it.

Broken Cog posted:

Half of my character seems to end up with cancer, the other half live a life of stress and depression.

Yeah I don't know if they made stress/depression more common or what but it seems like 90% of my characters end up dying in their 30's of "severe stress".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You can manually baptize any of your kids (I think up to age 2) by right clicking on them - you only get the popup for the first one. The fact that you can't baptize your grandkids is annoying though since your landless children won't do it.

Yeah I don't know if they made stress/depression more common or what but it seems like 90% of my characters end up dying in their 30's of "severe stress".

That's good to know about baptizing. Stressed and depressed aren't that tough to get rid of, off the top of my head hunting, seduction (country retreat with a lover) and religion focuses can all get rid of them, as well as being a rank 2 hermetic. There's also random events to clear both that seem to pop up pretty often. I will say though it's kind of dumb how taking business focus will basically automatically lead to you being stressed.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Yeah, all the crusade poo poo sounds baller but it keeps breaking and my fondness of Sun means I e never really wanted to go to the later ones except maybe the viking one, which was my og love

Literally never played the baseline one

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Started as Pictland in Charlemange start, married the princess of the byzantine empire. When my son came of age and was my leader, for some reason my mother (who went back home after being married to the king of East Francia) was suddenly my heir which wasn't great because she wasn't of my dynasty. She was also now the empress of the byzantines through some process I'm still not quite sure and after she suddenly died I inherited the county of Constantinople. Three cheers for the scots?
gods I love this game at times

pidan posted:

Also every character I play ends up either fat or malnourished. No half measures.
Too real

Broken Cog posted:

Half of my character seems to end up with cancer, the other half live a life of stress and depression.
Way too real!

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

i just tried the playable pope mod to see how the new expansion broke and results so far are oddly anticlimatic

edit:lol

double edit: the pope has found the necronomicon

Stairmaster fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Nov 29, 2018

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

I love the idea of the Pope arranging a massive coronation ceremony for himself so he can put his big hat on and yell "I AM THE POPE! I WANT ALL OF THE STUFF!"

jwalrus
Jul 27, 2007
Does anyone know if it's possible to change what kingdom the crusade is for? Right now ol' bighat wants to go after the Ummayyads, which is fine, except that he specifically is targeting Austrasia, where they hold one duchy, and not Aquitaine, where they have everything. Seems a bit inefficient. All I can see is where to change the ruler, but not the kingdom. Or does it matter? Will we just take whatever we can hold? I'm a little unclear on how the new mechanics work.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
200 year mark and the lag is real.

India went down with barely a whimper. Might just be the cultural buildings in my capital, but my light infantry were taking on their armies at 1:1 ratios and wiping the floor with them. Next on the docket is Tibet, the Western Protectorate, and then China.

I broke India up into 4 vassal kingdoms. Looks pretty ugly IMO, but India's duchies are a mess.

Despite approaching 3,500 holdings in my demense, my vassals are still nowhere near presenting a challenge to me, but that will likely change as time goes on. I'm going to hit a ceiling, and as the world develops, my vassals will continue to get stronger and stronger without raising my retinue cap. But for right now, lol

My current ruler is the highest scoring character I've ever had in this game, and he's not even 50. He may finish up adding 50,000 to my game score all on his own.

Despite being the richest man on earth many times over, and ruler of an empire that stretches across the entire eastern hemisphere, he would still face anyone in hand to hand combat, becoming the first ruler of the empire since its founder, the legendary Georgios the Warrior Philosopher, to become the hero of the Children of the Storm. When he took power, the empire had 0 holdings within India. By the time he dies, there will likely be 0 holdings in India outside of it. Unlike his more tolerant predecessor Panigros the Holy, who was emblematic of the peaceful, tolerant nature of the West African faith, Ephanne sacrificed several kings and dukes to the gods. Over 200 all said and told. Later in life, he became less relentless, and spent more of his time carousing with his warrior friends and winning many a drinking competition than he did on the battlefield. Soon, he will hang up the sword for good, and join the hermetic society, seeking to improve the realm he conquered, and to record his knowledge of warfare for future generations to pick up where he left off.

Despite his best efforts, he had unspectacular children. The brightest, most promising women across his land were brought to him. Even some women opposed to the empire found themselves in his court. Perhaps the most notable is Anastasia Armenios. She had found her calling in the churches of the orthodox religion, but money can sway even the purest of hearts. As a concubine, her firstborn son was not the emperors, but another mans. Ephanne moved past this lapse in judgement, and in time she did give him a son, but he lacked her genius. When the emperor refused to acknowledge the child, she became infuriated. An affair with a mayor saw her give birth to her 3rd son to a 3rd different man, and finally ended her tumultuous relationship with Ephanne. Well, for the most part. The opportunity often arises when he still gives her a good tumble, even though she has put on a little weight.

She left the monastery for 80 gold.

Volkerball fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Nov 29, 2018

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Having nabbed SPQR I've decided to play someone else and with Holy Fury's focus on pagans and Africa that seemed a good place as any. I noticed that the chieftess of Daura in 867 comes with a unique bloodline enabling enatic-cognatic succession so that sounds like it'd be a good time.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Discovered something I didn't know today. Playing as the merchant republic of Britannia and some random vassal got me excommunicated. The Pope demanded that I become Gavalkind to repent. I said OK, and it switched the republic to gavalkind for about a third of a second then it snapped back to the standard patrician elections, but that was good enough for the Pope, and now all of my family has a +15 "love that new gavalkind inheritance!" +15 modifier.

Seems marginally buggy.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Vaguely disappointed that there's no special acknowledgement of installing a devilspawn child as emperor of china.

Also that the glowing eyes are slightly misaligned.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

TomViolence posted:

unless i've somehow stayed norse the whole time and never noticed, i was sure you could still raid as reformed germanic regardless of culture or government type

e; beat

I found it funny, that even after converting from reformed Norse to Catholic, I could still sail down and punch the pope for his hoarded ducats and stash of foreskins.

Also, being able to convert to avoid a crusade, then promptly pop back up as Norse a decade later, really shouldn't be a viable strategy.

Sulphagnist posted:

The original Bene Gesserit plan was for a woman to access the genetic memories of both lineages! Abominations are women who awaken to their memories in the womb because it fucks their psyches up.

:spergin:

Oh right, Jessica was told to bear a daughter, wasn't she? I've read that book a hundred times, but it's too dense for my dumb brain to remember it all. :(

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
Whew, my character the chieftess of Daura wasn't too much to look at in the beginning but war focus and warrior lodge sure fixed that up quick. Got 103 combat skill while the traits light foot leader, direct leader, and spirit warrior make her a monster since they really seem to compliment being a one-county African tribe. Enemies just melt while I lose almost no dudes even against armies +50% larger.

One thing though, if I take a neighboring duchy title through subjugation will it keep its old succession type or will it convert to mine? Not really something I've really had to think about before but since I have enatic-cognatic as opposed to the usual agnatic-cognatic that could put a real kink in my plans.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
The HRE marches on.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

My 27 year old queen of Denmark just lost her first duel assigned to her by the Wolf Warriors. It was to someone with -20 combat skill. Admittedly, my combat skill was only 15, but still. I guess I got a little too used to playing as her +100 combat skill mother. Now I'm her 7 year old polar bear son. It automatically formed Sweden when she died and gave it to her second son, so I had to spend the next few years getting it back. I thought I had plenty of time to form an empire or switch to primogeniture, so I wasn't even thinking about that. Oh well.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Oh yeah while rushing to consolidate pictland so I can turn it into a merchant republic the byzantines lost an invasion from Khazaria so all of anatolia was khazaria for a while. Then he decided to settle down so now the Byzantines are feudal tengri Kazars. But I still have a weak claim on the empire from my grandmother and I do get a lot of gold so maybe I can hire enough mercs to take it.

Also, does anyone know how the game measures who controls a specific trade zone. Is it number of trade posts in a given sea zone? When I went from tribal to merchant one of the AI families immediately built a trade post on my capital which pissed me the gently caress off. He currently has 3 and I have 2. My trade post in Northumbria has the connected to capital bonus (I assume from the sea connection due to being in the same zone?) But the one in York isn't connected to the capital, even though they're all under the umbrella of the Pictland trade zone.

If I build one in Durham would it get the connected bonus because of the land connection into the sea zone that my capital is in?

Sultan Tarquin fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Nov 29, 2018

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Strudel Man posted:

Vaguely disappointed that there's no special acknowledgement of installing a devilspawn child as emperor of china.

Also that the glowing eyes are slightly misaligned.

Lmao

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury -

Volkerball posted:

She left the monastery for 80 gold.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sulphagnist posted:

The original Bene Gesserit plan was for a woman to access the genetic memories of both lineages! Abominations are women who awaken to their memories in the womb because it fucks their psyches up.

:spergin:

Abominations are not limited to women, but are any people who let past live personalities rise to the forefront of their minds (with possession being a possibility but not required). Leto II, God Emperor of Dune, was also an Abomination.

:spergin::spergin:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Also, does anyone know how the game measures who controls a specific trade zone. Is it number of trade posts in a given sea zone?

whoever has the most trade posts in counties adjacent to the sea zone. you can tell which zone a county is adjacent to by seeing which sea zone the dock is pointing into. to firmly secure your control over a sea zone, you must have a majority of counties in that zone - otherwise if you have 2, and three other patricians have 1 each, it's possible for some other family to end up with all 3 of the posts you dont have at some point

it is utterly vital to control the sea zone adjacent to your capital or else your entire trade area is hosed

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

luxury handset posted:

whoever has the most trade posts in counties adjacent to the sea zone. you can tell which zone a county is adjacent to by seeing which sea zone the dock is pointing into. to firmly secure your control over a sea zone, you must have a majority of counties in that zone - otherwise if you have 2, and three other patricians have 1 each, it's possible for some other family to end up with all 3 of the posts you dont have at some point

it is utterly vital to control the sea zone adjacent to your capital or else your entire trade area is hosed

Well then, bugger. My leader just up and died all of a sudden and I didn't have any funds dumped into the campaign so I lost the doge-ship? doge-ness? But because of that I was able to delcare war on the family that had the trade post in my capital and snag it which gave me the majority...right up until the point where the sneaky fucker built another one in the only unoccupied zone on the coast making it 3-3 so now nobody controls it. Jokes on that fucker though, I have a post on the silk road.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Well then, bugger. My leader just up and died all of a sudden and I didn't have any funds dumped into the campaign so I lost the doge-ship? doge-ness? But because of that I was able to delcare war on the family that had the trade post in my capital and snag it which gave me the majority...right up until the point where the sneaky fucker built another one in the only unoccupied zone on the coast making it 3-3 so now nobody controls it. Jokes on that fucker though, I have a post on the silk road.

this is a situation where you don't want to be doge. when you're doge you have control of the republic and prevent it from doing stupid things, but when you're not doge you can go around and steal trade posts from the other families and set yourself up

it's pretty easy to get yourself installed as permanent ruler of the republic (just stab the gently caress out of everyone until your family is unstoppable in terms of prestige and gold) but there are times when it is to your advantage not to be the top doge

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

Looks like I've got some fuckery to get up to then. I really do like merchant playthroughs they seem really unpopular despite being barely any different than feudal and you get so much money to play around with. I just wish there were more ways of getting to play them other than bringing up a tribal kingdom or starting as venice/genoa/pisa.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

luxury handset posted:

this is a situation where you don't want to be doge. when you're doge you have control of the republic and prevent it from doing stupid things, but when you're not doge you can go around and steal trade posts from the other families and set yourself up

it's pretty easy to get yourself installed as permanent ruler of the republic (just stab the gently caress out of everyone until your family is unstoppable in terms of prestige and gold) but there are times when it is to your advantage not to be the top doge

The only issue with that is if you have strong nearby neighbors, the Doge loves to declare unwinnable trade dispute wars.

I've also had the occasional game over with the AI moving the capital inland for titles where the de jure capital isn't on the coast.

Spiderfist Island
Feb 19, 2011
You know, something that I’m surprised about is that Paradox never got around to making a separate imperial-tier shield frame for Muslim rulers on the map. Every other frame type has at least 4 others (count, duke, king, emperor) but the Muslim Type only has 3. Are there any graphical mods that add something?

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Looks like I've got some fuckery to get up to then. I really do like merchant playthroughs they seem really unpopular despite being barely any different than feudal and you get so much money to play around with. I just wish there were more ways of getting to play them other than bringing up a tribal kingdom or starting as venice/genoa/pisa.
IIRC merchant republics can also set up along the inland trade routes, though I could be misremembering. Hopefully at some point Paradox will make them more flexible for modding like the rest of the government types (less hardcoding of gender requirements/marriage methods, change off-map estates, etc.)

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Spiderfist Island posted:

You know, something that I’m surprised about is that Paradox never got around to making a separate imperial-tier shield frame for Muslim rulers on the map. Every other frame type has at least 4 others (count, duke, king, emperor) but the Muslim Type only has 3. Are there any graphical mods that add something?
It's almost impossible to tell but the Muslim/Zoro/Zun imperial shield is bigger than the kingdom one.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Sultan Tarquin posted:

when and or if? they update the after the end fan fork for version 3.x then you can play as the merchant republic of

-new york city
-miami
-new orleans
-detroit
-los angeles
-duluth, mn
-veracruz
-colima
-cartagena
-cartagena, but a pirate :yarr:

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Pretty sure you can still do the old revoke/surrender trick, but I haven't tried it since 2.8.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Jedit posted:

Crusader Kings II: Holy Fury -
Hey, 80 gold was a lot of money back then.

edit: Weird. A bunch of my vassal kings with 100 opinion of me have joined in a plot to kill me.

Strudel Man fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Nov 29, 2018

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

Merchant republic is a lot of fun but after a while you've seen it all, and expanding your borders isn't as fun as in feudal mode.

Also you can't play women.

Also also all merchant republics get the same Venetian clothes whether they're in Sri Lanka or Iceland.

One upside of merchant republics is that you can really go all out on intrigue focus because all the people you want to murder are in your capital. Invite a bunch of spy women, seduce them all, have twenty sons, murder all your rivals, get murdered yourself by your jealous wife, repeat.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Strudel Man posted:

Hey, 80 gold was a lot of money back then.

edit: Weird. A bunch of my vassal kings with 100 opinion of me have joined in a plot to kill me.

Could be they owed favors.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
As long as people are talking about merchant republics, can anyone confirm one in Sinai can build posts in both the Mediterranean and the red sea? Created a vassal one there and they haven't built anything in the red sea yet, but I'm assuming that's because the provinces of that duchy on the red sea side are pretty poor and they've got to build one there first before they get access to the rest of the coast. Correct?

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Without mods, they can't. The "can be reached by sea" condition can't be satisfied for both sides of the peninsula at the same time since there's no portage that runs across it.

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Oh that's too bad. I know you can connect zones overland, like through the southern tip of Greece, but I suppose there's still a sea connection there. Oh well.

I'm playing as Jerusalem so I'll probably make one on Crete then switch the side of the red sea this one's capital is on or something.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bit of a dumb question here, but what happens if you import an Animal Kingdom CK2 save into EU4?

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that

CommissarMega posted:

Bit of a dumb question here, but what happens if you import an Animal Kingdom CK2 save into EU4?

Nothing special. You keep your goofy name, but the cultures get renamed (my bears were brandenburgian), there's no special advisor pictures or sprites or anything

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Could be they owed favors.
I doubt it, it was a plot by some random courtier lady whose brother I had eaten.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Some 150 years after starting as a count, I finally clawed my way up King by noticing I was heir to a Kingdom in the neighbouring realm and tanking the childless King's fertility and eventually killing him by sending him a concubine infected with syphilis. GOTY every year.

Karanas
Jul 17, 2011

Euuuuuuuugh
Quick question: I destroyed the byzantine empire through the chinese and I've reconquered enough of it that I can rebuild it through decision. Problem is the succession system goes straight back to imperial elective and I don't want to deal with none of that. Will I keep my ultimogeniture system if I recreate it through 80% ownership instead?

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
The 'Fourth Crusade' chain is pretty awesome, although the size of the bribe to go attack Constantinople instead of the original Crusade target was really quite small. I think mine was a bit bugged because the Pope was both pissed at 'Impious Crusaders' and actively participating in the redirected Crusade.

Still, we shattered the Byzantine Empire, so that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009
Thanks for taking the time to answer my newbie DLC questions. I got my start playing as the Duke of mumu and the fun's already begun. I thought I set up my son in a safe marriage but his wife inherits a Barony outside the realm and from that power base he plots and kills me. At least Brian managed to conquer almost half of Ireland but I could never get the council to agree to primogenitor so when he died with no sons and five daughters I'm playing a queen with only one County and my sister is an independent petty queen.

Best part is the court tutor taught us to both be ambitious.