Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Ghost Leviathan posted:

A useful thing when setting out on an expedition to a new region is to figure out exactly what materials you need to build a base on the fly and keep them in the Cyclops handy so you can plop down an outpost quickly with the minimum of back-and-forth.

A single reinforced tube with a scanner room, fabricator, medkit generator, two thermal generators and a couple relays, and radio for fun will fit into two standard lockers. I just leave them all over the place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

SugarAddict posted:

My experience is that "hull integrity" only takes effect on bases when adding things on. Positive hull integrity means you can add more negative stuff, negative means it's going to keep leaking until you make it positive somehow. One collision with anything will always cause a bunch of hull breaches on your base regardless of hull integrity.

Doesn't having breaches lower the hull integrity? So if your base is near 0 you slightly bump it and everything gets flooded and gets even more breaches

SugarAddict
Oct 11, 2012

Pyromancer posted:

Doesn't having breaches lower the hull integrity? So if your base is near 0 you slightly bump it and everything gets flooded and gets even more breaches

My oh so limited understanding is that bumping it with the cyclops or hitting it with drill arms causes breaches. Breaches are breaches regardless of hull integrity. Negative hull integrity causes breaches, breaches do not affect hull integrity.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

WarpedNaba posted:

So apparently the expansion EA's been pushed out to early 2019. Fair enough.

I'd rather play through the new game once it's finished. That's what I did with Subnautica, and going in blind was more entertaining than all the streamers I've seen just whizzing through, barely paying attention and not being spooked by or appreciative of any of the flora and fauna.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I find my 'main' base turned into a sprawling mess while the outposts end up a lot more elegant. Though I found myself relaying energy from probably a ridiculous distance to get the most convenient locations, so I might just be a bit nuts.

A useful thing when setting out on an expedition to a new region is to figure out exactly what materials you need to build a base on the fly and keep them in the Cyclops handy so you can plop down an outpost quickly with the minimum of back-and-forth.

One of the main problems I had with the game is that the Cyclops instantly replaced the need for the bases except for power. And once you get the thermal power re-generators even that need goes away.

Then, once you have the invulnerability shields, you can just bubble up against any enemy and run away at temporary full speed. Keep a supply of power cells to pop in and out on the fly, and you're good.

I made a ton of storage in the bottom level of the cyclops, and then never made a base again.

I guess that kind of lost the charm of the game for me once I had my semi-invulnerable mobile base. Definitely felt like I had mastered the game and didn't have to fear anything-- quite a different feeling than in my Seamoth running through open black water going "gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress gently caress" when you hear something growl.

That's probably more of a problem of the lava zones being lit enough that they just were not scary, and the big dragon guys being so goofy that they paled in comparison to seeing a Reaper for the first time. Especially once you realize they are slow enough you can even more easily run from them.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Is building a base in the lost river useful? I just found the big cool tree and I’m gonna check out the alien facility. Also, I’m at my Cyclops’ max depth at the tree more or less and I don’t have any kyanite for the MK2, nor have I ever seen any. I understand that it’s apparently in the next biome, the inactive lava place, but idk how to get there to harvest it if it’s below my diving range. Should I hop in my prawn and go on a Spider-Man adventure until I find the entrance and some kyanite? I’m also having trouble finding much nickel.

Definitely looking forward to playing the next game totally blind, being with this since EA has definitely taken some of the mystique out of this final push

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Frog Act posted:

Is building a base in the lost river useful? I just found the big cool tree and I’m gonna check out the alien facility. Also, I’m at my Cyclops’ max depth at the tree more or less and I don’t have any kyanite for the MK2, nor have I ever seen any. I understand that it’s apparently in the next biome, the inactive lava place, but idk how to get there to harvest it if it’s below my diving range. Should I hop in my prawn and go on a Spider-Man adventure until I find the entrance and some kyanite? I’m also having trouble finding much nickel.

Definitely looking forward to playing the next game totally blind, being with this since EA has definitely taken some of the mystique out of this final push

Yes, the tree is one of the ideal late base spots because its placed very close to a deeper sinkhole.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Frog Act posted:

There's enough nickel in lost river to sort you out. I made a base there to charge batteries, grow food and get water, and put down a scanning room, and would occasionally look to see if more nickel popped up. Scanning rooms own if you haven't already figured that out.

The mk2 cyclops depth module requires nickel, and it lets you get down to the inactive lavazone. The third upgrade requires kynanite. This hosed me up for a good long while because I apparently forgot the cyclops mk2 was a thing. The prawn suit mk1 requires nickel and lithium, and should match up with the cyclops mk2.

But yeah by all means go down in the prawn, it's a lot of fun. Bring a couple of spare batteries if you're worried about endurance.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Have they said how big the new map will be, and if you can travel back and forth on the same character?

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Have they said how big the new map will be, and if you can travel back and forth on the same character?

Don't know how big, but they have said we're playing a completely new character. Basically sounds like a standalone expansion

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Knobb Manwich posted:

The mk2 cyclops depth module requires nickel, and it lets you get down to the inactive lavazone. The third upgrade requires kynanite. This hosed me up for a good long while because I apparently forgot the cyclops mk2 was a thing. The prawn suit mk1 requires nickel and lithium, and should match up with the cyclops mk2.

But yeah by all means go down in the prawn, it's a lot of fun. Bring a couple of spare batteries if you're worried about endurance.

This was me, but with the Prawn. "How do I get down to that depth? Internet says just go there but it's beyond my crush depth. Oh - I thought I'd put that depth module in but never did. Doh."
Prawn with thermal recharging is great for the lava areas, of course. All I needed to really bring was water.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, I loaded my cyclops up with enough stuff to make the Prawn depth module and almost enough for the other one - there are so many resources in the lost river I suspect I could just find the magnetite I need for my last few odds and bobkins, even. Alien Research was pretty cool, but in a way the game is beginning to wear a little thin. I’ve got my cyclops, got my shields, got my spider man prawn, and all that I need to do the last few zones are artificial barriers that are just gonna require me to scoot around in my sub for like 30 minutes to craft some stuff. I guess that’s been the case all along but I just wanna see some lava and see what’s at the end of this stuff

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

So, uh, final question I think: met the Sea Emperor, which was a fantastic and unexpected twist that made me feel motivated to finish the game. Its really rare for games to actually have a good enough narrative arc for me to really want to see stuff through, so mad props for that. However, I see now that I need to get a bunch of samples (the person who left me Ghost Coral or whatever in their time capsule owns, so at least I have that planted at my base) to make the hatching enzyme. I can take my PRAWN through the portal, obvs, but that leaves my poor, beautiful, lovingly customized cyclops in front of the primary base next to a dragon. is there anything I can do about this or am I just gonna have to take my cyclops back up and basically just use the portal for comin' back and mining ion with my PRAWN?

LeschNyhan
Sep 2, 2006

Frog Act posted:

So, uh, final question I think: I can take my PRAWN through the portal, obvs, but that leaves my poor, beautiful, lovingly customized cyclops in front of the primary base next to a dragon. is there anything I can do about this or am I just gonna have to take my cyclops back up and basically just use the portal for comin' back and mining ion with my PRAWN?

Don’t forget you still have to, y’know, go home eventually, and you’ll probably want tools to do that safely.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

you can park it around the left side of the base and he won’t gently caress with it. at least not in my game

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
I’ve had the most success parking it right in front of the door. The floating boxes are apparently repellant to the dragon and it’s always been safe there.

I worry about parking it around the side because when the Neebs Gaming crew parked down in that spot, they came back to find it trashed.
:shrug:

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I just parked outside the door. I didn't even know my Cyclops was supposed to be in danger there :confused:

timn
Mar 16, 2010
Especially if you have the thermal power upgrade, you can just leave your cyclops stationary in silent running mode and I think it's pretty much invisible even if something bumps into it accidentally.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

I wasn’t worried about it being in danger, it’s just like....down there forever while I’m going back to gather enzymes and build my rocket platform

I didn’t want to leave it behind so I ended up taking it all the way through back to the surface with everything I’ve looted since leaving the Blood Kelp stored aboard

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Frog Act posted:

I wasn’t worried about it being in danger, it’s just like....down there forever while I’m going back to gather enzymes and build my rocket platform

I didn’t want to leave it behind so I ended up taking it all the way through back to the surface with everything I’ve looted since leaving the Blood Kelp stored aboard

The Cyclops is my favorite videogame vehicle ever and I took mine everywhere. It took me so long to get to the endgame because I would just drive the cyclops back up to the surface to collect more mats.

I'm super bummed it's not going to be in Sub Zero: the box truck looks like hot garbage. :smith:

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

The Cyclops is my favorite videogame vehicle ever and I took mine everywhere. It took me so long to get to the endgame because I would just drive the cyclops back up to the surface to collect more mats.

I'm super bummed it's not going to be in Sub Zero: the box truck looks like hot garbage. :smith:

Yeah, the Graf Spree has been a noble steed for me this whole game basically, I remember making my first one when they added it (or just shortly after launch) and being extremely impressed with its general feel. its been a mobile home with lantern fruit and a "keep calm" poster for a big part of the game, especially since my final base was just a scanner room and an upgrade console, so it feels bad to leave it behind to languish forever :(

i hope the box truck ends up with a spiffy redesign and larger internal compartment that makes it feel more like a vehicle worth being attached to, but I also understand why they'd remove the cyclops in order to emphasize the actual base building elements

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Frog Act posted:

i hope the box truck ends up with a spiffy redesign and larger internal compartment that makes it feel more like a vehicle worth being attached to, but I also understand why they'd remove the cyclops in order to emphasize the actual base building elements

idgi: good game design should reinforce emergent behaviors, not punish players into playing the game :turianass: the right way. :turianass:

It would have been much easier to make a mega moonpool or otherwise allow the cyclops to dock rather than replace it with something shittier so that the mat-grind for vehicles goes on endlessly...they should have figured out how to include the cyclops into my base building.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

idgi: good game design should reinforce emergent behaviors, not punish players into playing the game :turianass: the right way. :turianass:

It would have been much easier to make a mega moonpool or otherwise allow the cyclops to dock rather than replace it with something shittier so that the mat-grind for vehicles goes on endlessly...they should have figured out how to include the cyclops into my base building.
The biggest thing to watch for will be if you have any way to bring a fabricator with you on the go without just saying "gently caress it, build a tiny base that will hold a fabricator". That will really make a difference in what degree of added busywork will be involved in "No more Cyclops, but it was for casuals anyways"

People make a big deal about the '"But there is no risk!" with the Cyclops, but the biggest deal of all was the fact you could have a fabricator in it. It's why I still drag it to the end in most of my runs, even though I'm capable of using foreknowledge to make a prawn focused run more practical.

In Subnautica you can upgrade the Prawn's inventory space, but you can't get around the fact you need the cyclops or a base to craft things. One of the more notable, and commonly brought up examples being walking all the way to the end in your Prawn. Only to realize oops, you need TWO blue keycards. and having to make the trip to the closest available fabricator one way or another. But if you drove the cyclops there, it's not even worth rolling your eyes because it means you have a fabricator in the parking lot.

Even if I always make a foreknowledge base by where the lava base portal will spit you out. Well, people without foreknowledge walking right bast the lava base itself was another common endgame problem :v: (Remember when there was an actual beacon indicator?)

I can only imagine some sorry souls have walked all the way to the end, back to the lava base, BACK to the end, only to realize the spoiler prank waiting for them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Nov 29, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Alpha footage shows the box truck with an installed fabricator but that could change

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
Thread needs more cursed images

ThisIsJohnWayne
Feb 23, 2007
Ooo! Look at me! NO DON'T LOOK AT ME!

Soho Joe posted:

Hello Sea Satan my old friend
I've come to talk with you again

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Monsters treat the Cyclops as a big floating rock as long as you're not moving quickly right in front of them. I've outright been jostled by a Sea Dragon swimming next to the magma castle none the wiser. On the other hand, the drat thing immediately starts spewing lava when I pop out to check out a cave.

I really hope the expansion mixes things up to where you can't take the old strategies for granted quite as much. Between being super-cautious and a bit OCD I practically breezed through the endgame once I realised how close I was.

Though I do like that the encounter with the Sea Emperor is strangely adorable for meeting the biggest weirdest tentacle turtle sea monster, propping herself up on the hanging platform to look at you curiously, and she positively encourages you to complete the game and go home to get on with your life while she faces the end of hers with hope and serenity. For a game whose themes are so much about fear and tragedy, an upbeat ending is really cathartic.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Nov 29, 2018

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah I beat the game last night and I really liked the ending, especially since the juvenile sea emperors are free to thrive and repopulate the world with a happy-go-lucky race of benevolent psychic disease curing leviathans, thus saving all the other cute animals I came to love over the course of ~100 hours of gameplay. I also have to say I'm glad I had the foresight to spend an extra ~15 minutes in the ALZ/ILZ to mine a bunch of kyanite/nickel and grab a few extra crystalized sulfur because I managed to build the entire neptune rocket without having to go gather a single resource. the ending sequence was dope and building the rocket was surprisingly "solid" feeling and to-scale in a believable way. I left a non game-breaking time capsule with a bunch of modules but no depth mod, just the improved jumps for the prawn and some sonar and nickel and stuff, things I wish I had earlier but that don't gently caress up logical progression.

anyway, game good. I bought it like right when it came out of EA and only just now finished it but its really good and something I'm gonna recommend to people from now on

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Frog Act posted:

Alpha footage shows the box truck with an installed fabricator but that could change
That's encouraging. If they keep it, that at least implies you are intended to craft your way out of problems on the go rather than "Turn around back to your base, it build character" every step.

Though since it's land based, if anything they will have to make it even MORE "monsters ignore this (except when they don't)" than the Cyclops which could use 3D space for it's parking spots.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Monsters treat the Cyclops as a big floating rock as long as you're not moving quickly right in front of them. I've outright been jostled by a Sea Dragon swimming next to the magma castle none the wiser. On the other hand, the drat thing immediately starts spewing lava when I pop out to check out a cave.

I really hope the expansion mixes things up to where you can't take the old strategies for granted quite as much. Between being super-cautious and a bit OCD I practically breezed through the endgame once I realised how close I was.

Though I do like that the encounter with the Sea Emperor is strangely adorable for meeting the biggest weirdest tentacle turtle sea monster, propping herself up on the hanging platform to look at you curiously, and she positively encourages you to complete the game and go home to get on with your life while she faces the end of hers with hope and serenity. For a game whose themes are so much about fear and tragedy, an upbeat ending is really cathartic.
Despite being happy to ignore me dangling it in their face while driving with the right buttons pressed, by the end 90% of my damage to my cyclops was triggered by cutting my engines :v: Parking well out of the way just meant I got to watch them pull a 90 degree climb for 500 feet to 'accidentally' no damage headbutt the cyclops until it hit something hard enough to cause a hull breach.

By contrast, I got to a point I could manage to slip away with no immediate aggro when ejecting in my prawn. Maybe it was karma?

The game having an actual proper plot line is probably the biggest deal about Subnautica for the genre, though. It's why I got it in the first place, and is something the Devs actually made good on.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Looks like Subnautica Below Zero will be entering Early Access in about two weeks (Dec. 14th) and going out of early access a year after that. Here's hoping they built up enough assets and skills with...four? Five years of EA with Subnautica to make that a viable plan.

ed: oh and two of the leviathans were revealed

Frog Act fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Nov 29, 2018

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Totally. For as little actual screen time that the game devotes to it, the amount of characterization that the Sea Emperor gets squeezed into a few lines and encounters is seriously impressive. Right from the beginning when she pops up I was like "holy poo poo, that's awesome, I don't even care if this thing eats me", and then it turns out she sends you on a quest to help her kids. It's doubly surprising in a genre that traditionally has zero real characters or depth in that regard. No pun intended.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Soho Joe posted:

Best Reaper reaction was when twitch streamer Sacriel got punked by his girlfriend. Money shot at 0:35

https://twitter.com/Sacriel42/status/956567766735249409

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
She later secretly loaded up his game and changed his picture frame to a shot of him screaming. Seems like a good girlfriend. :)

https://www.twitch.tv/sacriel/clip/AbrasiveExcitedHamPanicVis

Found it.

7c Nickel fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Nov 30, 2018

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
Its a shame there aren't more weird tentacley Leviathans. The dragons and snakes are cool but the bizarre sea treaders and stuff are the coolest

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
The Sea Dragon feels a little bit uninspired compared to the Reaper and Ghost Leviathans. Now imagine if you replaced the Sea Dragon with the sandworm beastie up there. Make it a giant bobbit worm thing that crawls along the bottom of the lava zones, ducking in and out of those little tunnels. All of a sudden the PRAWN feels a lot less secure..

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Drake_263 posted:

The Sea Dragon feels a little bit uninspired compared to the Reaper and Ghost Leviathans. Now imagine if you replaced the Sea Dragon with the sandworm beastie up there. Make it a giant bobbit worm thing that crawls along the bottom of the lava zones, ducking in and out of those little tunnels. All of a sudden the PRAWN feels a lot less secure..

As much as the atmosphere might make the wildlife effective, the creature design is one of the weakest parts of the game. It's kind of ridiculous that real sea life is a far more alien, unnerving, and wondrous.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

Yeah, I found the dragon disappointing and unintimidating enough to grapple it and take a ride on it the first time I encountered one - it just looked too generic to have a real “oh gently caress” effect like the reapers did. I agree that creature design was often weak, and while it had its strong moments, I really hope they do better with Below Zero because that’s a great opportunity for truly alien stuff.

On that note someone in here recommended a book calledStarfish many pages back about cyberpunk deep sea thermoelectric engineers and it’s whole thing is that it was written by a biologist which really shows when he discusses gigantism and like food quality. The subnautica guys should consult him

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Improved/Dynamic sea life would be a huge undertaking for a small Dev team like Unknown Worlds.

You have conceptualizing, mesh/texture building, framing/rigging, and coding are all required to produce even the most mundane creatures.

It's also one of the most challenging aspects of game development. Look at how bad Bioware/Bethesda are at it.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
I kind of feel like some of the first creature designs were the most ambitions, and then they sort of had to scale down on The Vision (TM).

I mean, look at the stalker. It's the first critter you'll run into and it looks like a dolphin hosed a crocodile. It lurks in the kelp forests, probably the most threatening biome when you're starting out. It's fast, it's scary when you first encounter it.. and then you find out they're curious little shits who'll steal your debris right from in front of you, follow you around because they want your shiny knife, and they'll even steal your remote camera drones when given half the chance. For what's arguably the first 'enemy' in the game - enemy defined as a creature that'll actively try to kill you if you mess with it - it's got a huge amount of personality, and ultimately they're not even that threatening - they just want you to stay away from their nest and hell, you can even train them to trade debris to you for fish.

And then the next stalker-equivalent you run into is the sand shark. Which has a scary niche - an enemy that'll dig into the seabed and pop out to attack you, super aggressive and territorial.. and your whole set of interactions with them are limited to 'avoid' or 'poke them with your knife until it goes away'. Biters at least are amusing because they'll swim around nibbling on your seamoth in case it turned edible in the past 5 minutes since it tasted it for the last time.

It just feels like they spent the majority of the time working on the first few creatures they made, and then the rest got so much less time and effort devoted to them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Drake_263 posted:

I kind of feel like some of the first creature designs were the most ambitions, and then they sort of had to scale down on The Vision (TM).

I mean, look at the stalker. It's the first critter you'll run into and it looks like a dolphin hosed a crocodile. It lurks in the kelp forests, probably the most threatening biome when you're starting out. It's fast, it's scary when you first encounter it.. and then you find out they're curious little shits who'll steal your debris right from in front of you, follow you around because they want your shiny knife, and they'll even steal your remote camera drones when given half the chance. For what's arguably the first 'enemy' in the game - enemy defined as a creature that'll actively try to kill you if you mess with it - it's got a huge amount of personality, and ultimately they're not even that threatening - they just want you to stay away from their nest and hell, you can even train them to trade debris to you for fish.

And then the next stalker-equivalent you run into is the sand shark. Which has a scary niche - an enemy that'll dig into the seabed and pop out to attack you, super aggressive and territorial.. and your whole set of interactions with them are limited to 'avoid' or 'poke them with your knife until it goes away'. Biters at least are amusing because they'll swim around nibbling on your seamoth in case it turned edible in the past 5 minutes since it tasted it for the last time.

It just feels like they spent the majority of the time working on the first few creatures they made, and then the rest got so much less time and effort devoted to them.

Early in EA, they were telling everyone that creatures would interact with each other, have routines, be 'alive'. Stalkers were basically the proof of concept of that. Then they gave up and every creature afterward does very little but try to kill you.