Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
No one picked Deku, and Aizawa ended up with him because he was the only one left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vinylshadow posted:

"Are we pokemon'ing our kids at each other?"
"Yes."
This ends with Aizawa being pulled away to a cop car yelling "WHAT, I THOUGHT THIS WAS JAPAN, I THOUGHT THIS WAS A FREE COUNTRY, I THOUGHT THIS WAS JAPAN"

Rouncer posted:

Alternating selection would make sense since it seems like Aizawa wanted Deku just so he could expel him day one at his fitness testing.
I'm still not convinced that Aizawa has ever actually expelled anyone.

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

Funky Valentine posted:

I'm still not convinced that Aizawa has ever actually expelled anyone.

Chapter 5 shows All Might looking through secret faculty info and specifically shows that Aizawa has expelled 154 students.

Back to the practical rankings. Took a minute to look up the class ranks of the one's whose practical scores were shown in chapter 5

Bakugo 1st practical and 3rd in class ranking
Kirishima 2nd practical but 15th in class ranking
Uraraka 3rd practical but 13th in class ranking
Shiozaki 4th practical unknown class ranking
Tenya 6th practical and 2nd in class ranking
Midoriya 7th practical and 4th in class ranking
4Tetsu 8th practical unknown class ranking
Tokoyami 9th practical and 14th in class ranking.

If they averaged practical and written then strict alternating selection between A and B might work out considering most of the A's who did well on the practical are in the lower half of the class rankings. Sure, the most likely reason for so few B's in the top half is just cause he hadn't figured out who they were yet. Also Midoriya's class rank is probably not representative of his written score on the entrance exam since he was operating on very little sleep and a ton of stress. He said himself that he thought he barely passed the written.

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 26, 2018

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

class b cares way more about winning this and probably know a lot more about what class a can do. really it says a lot that the classes are tied in spite of that

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

At this point in the year, Aizawa has usually expelled about half his class, he's not used to teaching a full 20 kids(plus Shinso on the side).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rouncer posted:

If they averaged practical and written then strict alternating selection between A and B might work out considering most of the A's who did well on the practical are in the lower half of the class rankings. Sure, the most likely reason for so few B's in the top half is just cause he hadn't figured out who they were yet. Also Midoriya's class rank is probably not representative of his written score on the entrance exam since he was operating on very little sleep and a ton of stress. He said himself that he thought he barely passed the written.

Let's remember that Young Midoriya, despite being the hand picked successor of the the world's greatest hero, has remarkably low self esteem, and that's after 200 plus chapters of having people manage to get some level of "Hey Deku, you're a cool guy!" through to him, defeating multiple hero killers, and actively defying fate itself to save a little girl.

Start of the series Deku assuming he barely passed something does not necessarily mean he barely passed.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Where Class 1A comes out ahead of 1B is dealing with the unknown and the unexpected which is far more relevant to working as a hero. Class 1B is doing a very good job of dealing with 1A after months of studying them, but it's not often that they're going to be afforded that luxury in the real world, dealing with villains.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Viridiant posted:

Where Class 1A comes out ahead of 1B is dealing with the unknown and the unexpected which is far more relevant to working as a hero. Class 1B is doing a very good job of dealing with 1A after months of studying them, but it's not often that they're going to be afforded that luxury in the real world, dealing with villains.

In fact, this is great training for 1-A. Since they generally don't know the quirks of 1-B, they're adapting on the fly and challenging the unknown, whereas being popular figures means everyone already knows what they can do. Being a hero is winning despite that disadvantage.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Eej posted:

Class B being equal to or surpassing Class A actually cheapens the plot, because it means that any kid from UA could've dealt with the League of Villains and the Yakuza, perhaps even better than Class A did.

It's almost as if the whole cast is getting some instruction and advice on how to be a super hero and rescue people and fight bad guys. Maybe on a daily basis. In some structured environment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Viridiant posted:

It sort of feels like 1B having obsessively studied the quirks and limitations of 1A basically compromises the entire exercise they're going through here. Most of 1B's plans have boiled down to "okay so we have a pretty good idea of these peoples' quirks so let's focus on directly countering them in order to win", while 1A seems to lack the same knowledge of their opponents because their training has been more generalized and truncated.

Does it really count as a practical exercise about how to win a fight when 1B has been basically being taught from the answer sheet? Most of the real hero encounters we've seen so far have absolutely no idea what their opponents' quirks do and have to formulate on the fly.

It's like if someone handed a Jojo protagonist a list of his opponents' stands and what they do.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It seems like Class B is mostly going by what they saw of Class A during the Sports Festival(which is why Mudman was caught by surprise when Iida showed off his upgraded engine), which I'm hoping will come back to bite them in the final round by having them go in assuming Deku can't use his power without hurting himself.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Kanos posted:

It sort of feels like 1B having obsessively studied the quirks and limitations of 1A basically compromises the entire exercise they're going through here. Most of 1B's plans have boiled down to "okay so we have a pretty good idea of these peoples' quirks so let's focus on directly countering them in order to win", while 1A seems to lack the same knowledge of their opponents because their training has been more generalized and truncated.

Does it really count as a practical exercise about how to win a fight when 1B has been basically being taught from the answer sheet? Most of the real hero encounters we've seen so far have absolutely no idea what their opponents' quirks do and have to formulate on the fly.

It's like if someone handed a Jojo protagonist a list of his opponents' stands and what they do.

A good hero training program should probably cover both scenarios. Sometimes a villain will be known and you should be able to know how to devise a strategy with that information. On the other hand, sometimes the villain is unknown, so knowing how to improvise is key. Class A is much more well known, so practicing against people that have specifically studied them is good practice. Class B being able to study ahead of time goes down the second path. It probably isn't as common that your opponent's powers are known, but it doesn't strike me as unrealistic training.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Eej posted:

Class B being equal to or surpassing Class A actually cheapens the plot, because it means that any kid from UA could've dealt with the League of Villains and the Yakuza, perhaps even better than Class A did.

That's the whole point of heroes though. It's like a police show; the Detective that's the focus is gonna solve plenty of cases but they're not the only cop capable of doing that. They'll probably have something that makes them special but they aren't uniquely capable.

Any group of heroes SHOULD be able to deal with those threats to some degree as that's how this world has been set up. Class A still needed assists for the League and Yakuza and I have no doubt they will go on the be a fairly special group but it makes the world feel more real that they aren't the chosen ones who all came along in one class just at the point when the world needed them.

Also, as others have said, this really helps 1A in their improvising skills. Heroes are celebs, they're known quantities. Villains generally aren't. Every Hero fight has the hero at the disadvantage that 1A has against 1B. It's a clever set-up, really, that ultimately makes the training far more useful to 1A than any other class while avoiding the cliche of THE CHOSEN ONES I've been rambling about.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Also, remember the training camp. 1-B might be very skilled and able to outfight 1-A whom they know all the quirks of, but at the camp 1-A was running that show. Even Tetsux4 and Kendo were out of their element with Mustard. Even then, nothing they did was an effective counter to his quirk. As a hero, it's rarely "Oh I know your quirk so I know to do this."

Or another way to put it is outside of the Prov License exam and the Internships, 1-B doesn't have real experience fighting people they don't know the quirks of, while 1-A has a lot of it. While focused training is letting 1-B show their stuff, and they are talented, 1-A will come out ahead from their real-world experience.

But that is why I feel the spirit of this exercise is lost by Class vs Class, in comparison to mixing the two classes into teams and running that way.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Onmi posted:

Also, remember the training camp. 1-B might be very skilled and able to outfight 1-A whom they know all the quirks of, but at the camp 1-A was running that show. Even Tetsux4 and Kendo were out of their element with Mustard. Even then, nothing they did was an effective counter to his quirk. As a hero, it's rarely "Oh I know your quirk so I know to do this."

Or another way to put it is outside of the Prov License exam and the Internships, 1-B doesn't have real experience fighting people they don't know the quirks of, while 1-A has a lot of it. While focused training is letting 1-B show their stuff, and they are talented, 1-A will come out ahead from their real-world experience.

But that is why I feel the spirit of this exercise is lost by Class vs Class, in comparison to mixing the two classes into teams and running that way.

To be fair to 1-B, during the training camp, most of the class was taken out by the gas attack because they were all spread out through the forest waiting to scare 1-A during the test of courage, while most of 1-A were safely waiting at the edge of the forest and had time to react to the gas attack. if 1-A had been the ones in the forest first, then most of them probably would have been taken out as well.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

There’s a Mineta joke in here somewhere.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

I think you're missing the point just a bit.

Class B right now is really good at countering Class A.

The bolded part is what's important as that doesn't mean they're necessarily better at fighting the actual people most likely to kill/maim them.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

It just occurred to me that Setsuna's quirk basically makes her Monsoon from Metal Gear.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rhonne posted:

It just occurred to me that Setsuna's quirk basically makes her Monsoon from Metal Gear.

Then it's time for Bak... to let 'er rip!

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Onmi posted:

Yeah, I think most if not all of the problems with this arc would have been avoided if it had been the classes cooperating in joint exercises rather than competing against each other. Some characters would still have disappointing showings but at least then it would not have been to push background characters we barely know, which is a very good way to get people to resent those characters.

That kind of thing only works with new bad guys, and I somewhat doubt that the entirety of 1B are the traitor.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
next time theres a dumb slice of life arc imma jump in the thread every week complaining about how theres no stakes or whatever

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This thread needs more stakes

And steaks

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I just read the chapter.

I like how nobody’s commented that Bondo’s quirk is basically Mineta’s, but better. I also like how his costume looks like a glue bottle.

:lol: @ Bakugo’s beta rear end dad

Rouncer
Jul 23, 2009

I. M. Gei posted:

I just read the chapter.

I like how nobody’s commented that Bondo’s quirk is basically Mineta’s, but better. I also like how his costume looks like a glue bottle.

:lol: @ Bakugo’s beta rear end dad

How is his better?

Everything sticks to Mineta's balls except him. Meaning he can use them for mobility as well as capture. As seen by him basically flying up the wall at the hot springs and bouncing along Todoroki's ice during the tournament. His range is probably also potentially further then Bondo since most people can throw a ball further then they can spit.

It said that Bondo was working on controlling the setting time of his adhesive meaning that he might have trouble dealing with speedsters like Tenya and Midoriya since they could potentially run through the unset material just like how Bakugo was able to blow it all away before it set.

Big thing is we haven't gotten any indication of the actual adhesive strength of either material. There haven't been any examples that I can think of where someone escaped from either though we have more examples of Mineta's balls then Bondo's glue. Balls also worked in water where the glue might just get diluted or washed away. We also don't know the strength of the set glue outside of knowing that Mina's acid was able to dissolve it but since her acid can eat into concrete fast enough to allow her to Spiderman up a building that doesn't tell us much.

Rouncer fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Nov 28, 2018

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Rouncer posted:

How is his better?

It’s not attached to Mineta.

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
the viz version says that lizard girl can split her body into 50 pieces now FROM training, not that she will be able to do it in the future. Cement man can probably insta harden things himself

I don't see anything wrong with this arc implying that ultra focused training can catch up to real world experience, all might didn't get to where he is just from OfA

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

don't think anyone's saying that. also the scans say that it's from training too. at least the ones I read did anyway

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

drjuggalo posted:

the viz version says that lizard girl can split her body into 50 pieces now FROM training, not that she will be able to do it in the future.

Yeah we know that she can do 50 now. But with more training and experience she can likely do even more in the future.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
It's been an inordinate amount of time spent on upselling a lot of characters from 1B who have yet to do anything but upstage a lot of characters from 1A who people have been hoping for more development for for quite a while.

And people keep saying that 1B has had a lot more time in class, but how much class time has 1A actually missed that 1B didn't also miss? The USJ attack and what else? Both classes had their summer training cut short and 1A got started on that before 1B did. The only ones occupied by the yakuza arc were Deku, Kaminari, Ochaco, and Froppy. Two of those we haven't seen perform in these battles yet and Froppy did great in her team's fight. The only ones who missed out on class time due to being in the hospital were Deku, Iida, and Shoto. Was the rest of 1A just not having school then out of respect for them or something?

I think the amount of time 1A has missed out has been massively overstated, because I really can't think of many actual incidences where this is true. And so far the ones who HAVE missed out on class time have been among the people to have the best showings during these fights.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

RareAcumen posted:

I mean, duh? Softening quirk guy and cube forcefield kid could've probably handled Rappa and maybe Overhaul better but Mirio is still top tier on beating Overhaul since he can just phase through everything. This manga's more about hard counters than soft ones. Mineta could've solved most of the arc if he'd had a gun that shot his grape balls at people. Imagine trying to fight someone when your wrist is stuck to your forehead and your legs are stuck together.

I feel like softening quirk guy can handle almost anyone who doesn't have some sort of extra source of propulsion/movement (like flight or Ingenium's engines). It seems like you're basically just kinda hosed if he softens the ground beneath you otherwise.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Ytlaya posted:

I feel like softening quirk guy can handle almost anyone who doesn't have some sort of extra source of propulsion/movement (like flight or Ingenium's engines). It seems like you're basically just kinda hosed if he softens the ground beneath you otherwise.

I feel like super physicality or any kind of extreme damage output could blast away the area he muddies up, so Bakugo and Midoriya should be able to mess up his swimming through the ground thing and be able to escape any traps. Bakugo moreso.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

deku could just air bullet him. might even be able to free himself like that

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I feel like super physicality or any kind of extreme damage output could blast away the area he muddies up, so Bakugo and Midoriya should be able to mess up his swimming through the ground thing and be able to escape any traps. Bakugo moreso.

Well, Bakugou directly has "propulsion," and Deku also effectively has propulsion since I believe he can kick off the ground hard enough to move despite the softness. But I think most other folks would have a problem with it.

Also, that's ignoring the fact that he can apparently "un-soft" stuff after you're already buried in it, which is pretty drat powerful. How does anyone without superstrength of some form deal with that?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Ytlaya posted:

Well, Bakugou directly has "propulsion," and Deku also effectively has propulsion since I believe he can kick off the ground hard enough to move despite the softness. But I think most other folks would have a problem with it.

Also, that's ignoring the fact that he can apparently "un-soft" stuff after you're already buried in it, which is pretty drat powerful. How does anyone without superstrength of some form deal with that?

Well, an obvious counter that would absolutely wreck him is Mirio. Doesn't care if the ground is hard or soft.

Some other examples might be that one earthquake guy from the License Exam. Jiro can do the same thing but probably not at the scale to counter Mudman. Though her surveillance ability would make his stealthy ground swimming a whole lot less effective. Nejire also has the firepower to blow up his stuff -- heck, I bet shockwaves would be extra effective against a guy who has essentially turned the ground to water to swim through/hide in. Then there's the fliers like Tokoyami, Lizard Tail Cut girl (can't remember her name) and Uraraka who'd either stalemate or beat him but you already acknowledged that caveat.

But yeah his power is really good and counters a lot of people, especially with how he uses it. I suppose that's why he's one of the recommended students.

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Nov 29, 2018

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Well, Mirio would have been able to deal with it.

Anyone with a quirk that allows for shape manipulation to squeeze out would be able to deal with it.

Mina could deal with it.

Iida dealt with it by running across the surface and not sinking in in the first place.

Nighteye would have seen where was going to be made soft first.

Hawks would just stand on feathers.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Viridiant posted:

It's been an inordinate amount of time spent on upselling a lot of characters from 1B who have yet to do anything but upstage a lot of characters from 1A who people have been hoping for more development for for quite a while.

And people keep saying that 1B has had a lot more time in class, but how much class time has 1A actually missed that 1B didn't also miss? The USJ attack and what else? Both classes had their summer training cut short and 1A got started on that before 1B did. The only ones occupied by the yakuza arc were Deku, Kaminari, Ochaco, and Froppy. Two of those we haven't seen perform in these battles yet and Froppy did great in her team's fight. The only ones who missed out on class time due to being in the hospital were Deku, Iida, and Shoto. Was the rest of 1A just not having school then out of respect for them or something?

I think the amount of time 1A has missed out has been massively overstated, because I really can't think of many actual incidences where this is true. And so far the ones who HAVE missed out on class time have been among the people to have the best showings during these fights.

Yeah the ones who have actually missed the most time due to injury or extracurricular murder parties have mostly been the most effective and powerful 1A members in each of these fights, win or lose. Iida nearly carried his team to victory singlehandedly, Bakugo looks to be trying to do the same. Momo ultimately didn't really carry the team per se, but she was responsible for them being able to do what they managed to do. Froppy was an all star, and Kaminari did pretty good despite being directly confronted by a quirk that hard counters him in vine lady.

The ones who had plenty of time to study have been the super jobbers, which sort of runs against the idea that "1B is so much stronger because they've been spending all their time training and studying". Hagakure and Aoyama certainly haven't had much to do besides train and study.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

All Might: "I love all my students equally!"

*earlier that day*

All Might: "I don't care for 1-B."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kanos posted:

Yeah the ones who have actually missed the most time due to injury or extracurricular murder parties have mostly been the most effective and powerful 1A members in each of these fights, win or lose. Iida nearly carried his team to victory singlehandedly, Bakugo looks to be trying to do the same. Momo ultimately didn't really carry the team per se, but she was responsible for them being able to do what they managed to do. Froppy was an all star, and Kaminari did pretty good despite being directly confronted by a quirk that hard counters him in vine lady.

The ones who had plenty of time to study have been the super jobbers, which sort of runs against the idea that "1B is so much stronger because they've been spending all their time training and studying". Hagakure and Aoyama certainly haven't had much to do besides train and study.

Hagakure was one of the students who lost the most time, though, since she was hospitalized due to gas attacks. Wasn't even conscious when the Bakugo rescue mission launched.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

chiasaur11 posted:

Hagakure was one of the students who lost the most time, though, since she was hospitalized due to gas attacks. Wasn't even conscious when the Bakugo rescue mission launched.

Most of 1B was wiped out by that same gas attack. Hagakure wasn't involved in any of the Stain business(because she was hospitalized, as you said), nor was she tied up in the Overhaul business. Aside from the initial attack on USJ she's had just as much time to work on her quirk and training as most of 1B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Yeah, I think Horikoshi wrote the "more real world experience VS more in-class training time" concept and liked it enough to write it in without realizing that it doesn't make any since given the incredibly insignificant amount of time that the two classes have spent in different situations. Or maybe he forgot that the only ones who got a lot of experience are the people who were involved in the Yakuza raid which was three 1-A students so it was silly to apply that standard to the whole class. Either way, it annoys me a ton because you've got people like Hagakure and Koda who do jack poo poo in their fights while everyone in 1-B gets to contribute in some way every round.