Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Mushrooms are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Farrier Theaks posted:

Is there a canon explanation for the giant mushrooms in Vvardenfell?

Well... They grow there? What more do you want?

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

telvanni magicians

Cat Mattress posted:

Well... They grow there? What more do you want?

I wasn't sure if it was a simple "a wizard did it" (which seems to be the case), or if was something more detailed (eg the volcanic ash is full of magic from the Heart of Lorkhan and it got into the plants and animals).

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Why would the ash need to be magic? It's like asking why alits look the way they do. (They look like alits because they're alits.)

They're mushrooms. They're big. That's about it.

Asbury
Mar 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
Hair Elf

Vavrek posted:

Why would the ash need to be magic? It's like asking why alits look the way they do. (They look like alits because they're alits.)

They're mushrooms. They're big. That's about it.

I'd always been under the impression (but I don't know where I heard it, is the problem) that the reason Vvardenfell flora and fauna is so different from the rest of Tamriel is because of the Heart, but I guess not.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Farrier Theaks posted:

Is there a canon explanation for the giant mushrooms in Vvardenfell?

Michael Kirkbride was ahead of his time and predicted the classic irony standby of the "longboy".

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Lorkhan's mushroom head

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Farrier Theaks posted:

I'd always been under the impression (but I don't know where I heard it, is the problem) that the reason Vvardenfell flora and fauna is so different from the rest of Tamriel is because of the Heart, but I guess not.

Fauna and flora in Morrowind were different than everywhere else because Bethesda decided to make a good game.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Addamere posted:

Fauna and flora in Morrowind were different than everywhere else because Bethesda decided to make a good game.

"Morrowind is weird." -Cyrus

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckwlr3r0290

Cephalectomy
Jun 8, 2007

SniperWoreConverse posted:

oh yeah, I didn't post, but I went and got it cured and it was super loving weird. ~spoilers~ but I got immunity to all disease and that's it. The weird part to me was all corpus related stuff evaporated away like nothing. It's like bearenstein / bearinstain: I always remembered it as corpus progressively gets worse, and you get progressively more strength and endurance and less everything else. Then when you get cured everything bad goes away but you keep the stat boosts from it and get disease immunity.

What happened this time was I had 1-point increases and decreases in stats that never changed over time, regardless of how many times I got the "disease progressed" message, and when I got cured both the bad and good effects went away, and I got separate, non-corprus effects to block getting sick from any disease again. I guess the difference is between the old xbox version and the steam version?

But the thing that fucks me up is UESP lists corprus as having the exact behavior that I experienced recently, and I saw nothing that indicates what I remembered was right. 2spooky4me I should have got some ultra hardcore Dagoth mod for Halloween

Like even glancing at that mod it implies the stat changes aren't permanent normally. Fuckin weird, fifteen years ago they were permanent as gently caress. Although the mod should make it so 6th housers above dreamer should be able to give you corpus that's fuckin lame that you can't get it from ash vamps or whatever.

Also you should be able to get blight/corpus from just walking around in blight storms but that's another mod I guess

E; ps it makes more sense that the first time I brought this up people were like "just fuckin get cured" -- because you don't keep the stat alterations from the disease, apparently, so just fuckin move on already.

E2: if that mod doesn't change corpus meats and weeps to give you some kind of chance to get infected if you eat or brew them then just get the gently caress outta here

I'm pretty sure vanilla the corprus hunks give you the disease if you eat them. I think it conferring permanent bonuses was a bug that could happen if you let corprus get really bad

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Cephalectomy posted:

I'm pretty sure vanilla the corprus hunks give you the disease if you eat them. I think it conferring permanent bonuses was a bug that could happen if you let corprus get really bad

No to both. Corprus the spell doubles its effects every day. It just so happens you can purge damaged int but not fortified strength. Thats all the trickery at work.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
I decided gently caress this mystical mumbo jumbo poo poo anyway and moved to solstheim to get rich workin' for the Company

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
aside from one time i went there specifically to get some item i think a ring of some kind i have never actually been to solstheim

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Addamere posted:

aside from one time i went there specifically to get some item i think a ring of some kind i have never actually been to solstheim

A terrible place, I've heard. There's a boat from Khuul, if you have any reason to go.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

why would you take a boat you can fly there in like 10 seconds

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mitochondritom posted:

Why walk when you can ride?

Do you think I got wealth beyond measure by spending money willy-nilly?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Addamere posted:

If using fast travel makes you broke I’d argue you aren’t that wealthy. :smuggo:

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006

Poniard posted:

why would you take a boat you can fly there in like 10 seconds

I don't... Recall. :smuggo:

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Just dress warmly if you go there, I hear it's quite Khuul.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Farrier Theaks posted:

There's a bit of that, but it's always been supposed to be different ever since Daggerfall I think. Part of the mystique of the land of the dark elves. That said, you get weird stuff in other provinces too; and in fact some of which look quite a bit like the weird critters from Morrowind. The wormmouth native from Hammerfell is quite similar to the alit and kagouti what with being a two-limbed vaguely-reptilian creature. The durzog is supposedly native from Summerset, remember how the goblins encountered in Tribunal were brought there by Altmer mercenaries.

It's just that after going for maximum weirdness in Morrowind, they made Oblivion extremely mundane (still had a few odd beasts like the land dreughs, but most of it was realworld animals and standard fantasy critters like ogres and goblins and spriggans) to cash in on the LotR movies and to play up the contrast with the daedric stuff. The Shivering Isles wouldn't have been as striking if you had Morrowind's fauna and flora in the "normal" world.

Addamere posted:

I got it by summoning dremoras and golden saints, killing them, and looting them in the split second before they vanish back to Oblivion so as to sell the loot to Creeper.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

I knew that fetcher was holding out on me

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44731

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Jay Rust posted:

I knew that fetcher was holding out on me

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different
Finally got into the game after ~16 years, holy poo poo Morrowind owns.

also, crassius curio is a greasy, greasy man

EDIT:

I love that modders made a 16 year old game look this good :pcgaming:

Missionary Positron fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 29, 2018

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?
Welcome to Vvardenfell!

What do you think of it?

edit: prepositions are important.

Vavrek fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Nov 29, 2018

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Vavrek posted:

Welcome to Vvardenfell!

What do you think it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47HgrBeg1t8

Missionary Positron
Jul 6, 2004
And now for something completely different

Vavrek posted:

Welcome to Vvardenfell!

What do you think of it?

edit: prepositions are important.

I love how the world feels alien and original in a way that no other Elder Scrolls game does. At first I was annoyed at the lack of a compass/quest markers, but after awhile I noticed that I sort of liked it: the lack of a magical GO HERE navigation system makes the world feel bigger and immersive.

gently caress cliff racers though, all those memes from back in the day weren't kidding.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46188/

a neat and simple economy overhaul that dynamically adjusts merchant buy prices to not offer you insane prices for items. new price = old price / log (base price)

thanks lua

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Missionary Positron posted:

I love how the world feels alien and original in a way that no other Elder Scrolls game does. At first I was annoyed at the lack of a compass/quest markers, but after awhile I noticed that I sort of liked it: the lack of a magical GO HERE navigation system makes the world feel bigger and immersive.

gently caress cliff racers though, all those memes from back in the day weren't kidding.

My first ever endeavour to edit any game ever was to make a mod that got rid of all the cliff racers. It's just obnoxious being constantly "in combat" with the dozen cliff racers that can see you from the other sides of mountains or whatever.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

It bothers me that all the tiny critters are so aggressive, it's just more noticeable with cliff racers because they're much harder to outrun, and they make that noise.

One of my must-have mods is one that makes non-plagued animals much more placid. Not tame, but not possessed with nerevar-hatred. And it can varies by the animal: you can coexist with mudcrabs and kwama foragers, but nix-hounds and slaughterfish are out for blood.

With that solved, I just wished cliff-racers actually soared around, not just do that awkward idle-walk-around-at-elevation. :sigh:

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

everyone and everything on Morrowind is trying to kill you it's just like Australia

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Can confirm. Cliff racers are cassowaries if they could fly. Or I guess just Australian magpies in spring.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Fun fact, the developer who put in cliff racers was a goon

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

Doc Hawkins posted:

It bothers me that all the tiny critters are so aggressive, it's just more noticeable with cliff racers because they're much harder to outrun, and they make that noise.

One of my must-have mods is one that makes non-plagued animals much more placid. Not tame, but not possessed with nerevar-hatred. And it can varies by the animal: you can coexist with mudcrabs and kwama foragers, but nix-hounds and slaughterfish are out for blood.

With that solved, I just wished cliff-racers actually soared around, not just do that awkward idle-walk-around-at-elevation. :sigh:

*A mystical demigod strides over the horizon.*
*Crackling with power, its every step is a koan of sword-wisdom*

Rat: gently caress this BITCH don't you come up to my den like that your DEAD

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Modding out cliff racers is modding out a core Morrowind experience that is shared by all Morrowind players.

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

it's the most common first act of CHIM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

SniperWoreConverse posted:

*A mystical demigod strides over the horizon.*
*Crackling with power, its every step is a koan of sword-wisdom*

Rat: gently caress this BITCH don't you come up to my den like that your DEAD

Where's the nod where you play as a horde of rats taking over Vvardenfell

Like don't even destroy the heart just annoy the poo poo out of Dagoth Ur until he leave and you get akhalukhan all to yourself