Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Wheany posted:

it's a markov bot

it's weirdly selective about when and where it posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

thapple

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
lmao

Lambert
Apr 15, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Fallen Rib
Actually, it needs to be that way because if Apple were to implement a keyboard that wasn't broken it would mean people would pay less attention when entering their passwords.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

something something holding it wrong :twisted:

Good Sphere
Jun 16, 2018

is that on all ipad pros right now? i haven't seen any complaints of it being broken

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Good Sphere posted:

is that on all ipad pros right now? i haven't seen any complaints of it being broken

ipads pro

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

these loss edits are getting weird

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

apple's machine learning API absolutely wipes the floor with Google's. it's not even close.

https://heartbeat.fritz.ai/comparing-ml-kits-text-recognition-api-on-android-ios-8097aa77b800

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
remember when apple, the company famous for attention to detail and good design, made the shift key icon thoroughly ambiguous so you were never sure if it was enabled or not? i do.

https://allenpike.com/2014/schrodingers-shift-key/

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
"siri whens civil twilight"

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

remember when apple, the company famous for attention to detail and good design, made the shift key icon thoroughly ambiguous so you were never sure if it was enabled or not? i do.

iOS 7 blew chunks

Bulgakov
Mar 8, 2009

рукописи не горят

PleasureKevin posted:

apple's machine learning API absolutely wipes the floor with Google's. it's not even close.

https://heartbeat.fritz.ai/comparing-ml-kits-text-recognition-api-on-android-ios-8097aa77b800

im dumb so plz help me out here:

it seems like they're using google's firebase ml kit on both platforms in that article

where's the disparity coming from?

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Bulgakov posted:

im dumb so plz help me out here:

it seems like they're using google's firebase ml kit on both platforms in that article

where's the disparity coming from?

these are on-device ML SDKs. I believe they allow a common language across devices, but likely Google is using Apple ML Kit on iOS and something else on Android. so the underlying OS APIs are likely being used, and it looks like iOS's are vastly superior, not to mention the hardware behind it. cloud-based ML would likely look exactly the same unless camera quality was a factor or something.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
hi the management im thinking about buying tsmc stock would you say thats a good idea? thx

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

poty posted:

hi the management im thinking about buying tsmc stock would you say thats a good idea? thx

buying and selling individual stocks is for suckers and dupes

which is apple's exact market, so go hog wild

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

so Google Fi was released today for iPhone

it seemingly provides 100% international service at the same rates everywhere (or in 170 countries at least)

went to sign up and it.. requires a US address. why the gently caress would that matter if it's available everywhere. not sure I get it.

that's another gripe about google and amazon too. the better products and services are very US-centric.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

PleasureKevin posted:

it seemingly provides 100% international service at the same rates everywhere (or in 170 countries at least)

went to sign up and it.. requires a US address. why the gently caress would that matter if it's available everywhere. not sure I get it.

that's another gripe about google and amazon too. the better products and services are very US-centric.

hope you like a 15gig data cap

seems lowish but good price otherwise

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

syscall girl posted:

hope you like a 15gig data cap

seems lowish but good price otherwise

there’s no cap, but they slow speeds after 15GB. my current plan does the same at 10GB.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

mine throttles after 50. it’s nice to literally never think about how much data i’m using

Toady
Jan 12, 2009

A Wheezy Steampunk posted:

imagine all the juicy behind-the-scenes stories from ios 7's rushed development

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
it doesnt support mvno on the iphone so it only does tmobile but with google's policy

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Weedle posted:

mine throttles after 50. it’s nice to literally never think about how much data i’m using
only reason i still use sprint is its the only carrier where unlimited actually means unlimited, no throttling or caps or w/e. coverage is poo poo but data anxiety is a thing ive never experienced

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

only reason i still use sprint is its the only carrier where unlimited actually means unlimited, no throttling or caps or w/e. coverage is poo poo but data anxiety is a thing ive never experienced

:stonk:

Astoundingly Ugly Baby
Mar 22, 2006

"...crying bitch cave bitch boy."
- Anonymous Facebook user

I pay about $70/month on Verizon with a plan that has 4gb of data. Before that, I was on a $60/month plan from 2014 with 2gb. I'd buy out my contract (is that even still a thing?) if any other provider had the coverage Verizon does. It's $81.80/month with "Safety Mode".
:smith:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Freedom Mobile in canada throttles but it is hardly noticeable in all applications.

however i believe they changed the policy so expensive plans (10GB) plans get like 256-512kbps throttle speed but lower plans get loving seemingly 10kbps throttle :(. but they also have 100GB plans now for $45 or something so. also they all no contract and will front you a phone that you pay off over 2 years with no markup. in fact you save money by my calculation.

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill
how the gently caress are American phone plans so bad. is payg not a thing over there? I just pay for what I use and it comes out at like $10/mo lol

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

i have 8 gigs (or maybe 16, i forget) and the two times i've gone over was when i was visiting a place with no wifi

do y'all have hour long train commutes where you watch netflix?

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I pay about $70/month on Verizon with a plan that has 4gb of data. Before that, I was on a $60/month plan from 2014 with 2gb. I'd buy out my contract (is that even still a thing?) if any other provider had the coverage Verizon does. It's $81.80/month with "Safety Mode".
:smith:

i didnt know verizon still had capped plans? what to heck

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

JawnV6 posted:

i didnt know verizon still had capped plans? what to heck

they sure do. 8GB meets my and my wife's needs just fine and is $40/month cheaper than the crappiest "unlimited" plan.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
odd, my wife was on AT&T paying out the nose after i dropped off the plan, switched to unlimited verizon and came out ahead

but the att plan was awful since we'd started it together and I dropped off, can't recall all the details

JawnV6 fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 29, 2018

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

infernal machines posted:

it's weirdly selective about when and where it posts

OR IS IT??

:spooky: :drac: :spooky:

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lmao "I use sprint because they don't actively throttle me just their network is so terrible that it's always slower than everyone else even when throttling"

Generic Monk
Oct 31, 2011

PleasureKevin posted:

from looking at it i think it's still just for us customers; it's just that it offers roaming without any surcharges.

i can't see the appeal but then again i don't really know how much US mobile plans cost; i pay £15/mo for unlimited texts/calls/12gb data and the eu abolished roaming charges soooo

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Generic Monk posted:

from looking at it i think it's still just for us customers; it's just that it offers roaming without any surcharges.

i can't see the appeal but then again i don't really know how much US mobile plans cost; i pay £15/mo for unlimited texts/calls/12gb data and the eu abolished roaming charges soooo

good news about eu laws in uk

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
i don't pay anything for my phone plan because i just expense two lines and if anybody has a problem with it they haven't told me about it

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Generic Monk posted:

it's generally $50+ a month for one line though the major carriers these days, and some of them, like verizon, have obscene international roaming charges on top of that to the order of $10 per day. the ghetto mvnos generally offer better single-line deals, but they aren't really accommodating to international use.

fi seems to be for that niche of people who don't need a $70 unlimited plan, but still want to be able to use their phone outside of the us. the better option in most cases is to just setup a google voice number for making us calls and then buy a prepaid sim when you get wherever you are going.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
tmobile is a very good option if you go overseas a lot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Soricidus posted:

how the gently caress are American phone plans so bad. is payg not a thing over there? I just pay for what I use and it comes out at like $10/mo lol
If there's 2 companies in the whole country it's not a monopoly you see. Move along citizen.

Generic Monk posted:

i pay £15/mo for unlimited texts/calls/12gb data and the eu abolished roaming charges soooo
watch how long that lasts