Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Hmmmm seems to me that Iconoclasts was insanely good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Kiwami took me 35 hours compared to 0’s 70. Although probably 5 of those hours were getting up from the ground seeing how enemies in Kiwami constantly knock you on your rear end.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
My second PS4 game has arrived--Horizon Zero Dawn. Spider-Man should get here today or tomorrow. Whee!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Aranan posted:

My second PS4 game has arrived--Horizon Zero Dawn. Spider-Man should get here today or tomorrow. Whee!

H:ZD is sooooo good :allears:

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

Kiwami took me 35 hours compared to 0’s 70. Although probably 5 of those hours were getting up from the ground seeing how enemies in Kiwami constantly knock you on your rear end.

Uhg, I was planning on tackling Detroit this weekend, but now ya'll are saying Kiwami is short which makes me want to Yakuza again.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Quantum of Phallus posted:

H:ZD is sooooo good :allears:

Are there any trap skills or weapons I should avoid? I know nothing about the game, so I don't even know how character progression works. :v:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Aranan posted:

Are there any trap skills or weapons I should avoid? I know nothing about the game, so I don't even know how character progression works. :v:

Sharpshot Bows rule, the Shadow Sling is the most versatile weapon in the game, Ropecaster with +Handling is extreme OP, and the Rattler is for scrubs. All the other weapons are good, keeping a balanced loadout for all the elemental effects is important.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
https://twitter.com/Fallout/status/1067981880597843968?s=19

I had a bad feeling they were gonna offer some in-game virtual item(s) as compensation for their lovely CE mishap.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

500 atoms is $5, lmaooo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I’m glad K1 is short since it’s apparently the roughest modern Yakuza game. I wouldn’t want to burn out on it before I go into K2.

BisterdDave posted:

Uhg, I was planning on tackling Detroit this weekend, but now ya'll are saying Kiwami is short which makes me want to Yakuza again.

Detroit is relatively short for one playthrough, just so you know.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Kilometers Davis posted:

Detroit is relatively short for one playthrough, just so you know.

I'm a trophy whore. Gotta go for that fairly easy, but time consuming, platinum. Also planning on platinuming DQXI which will take a good amount of time.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

exquisite tea posted:

Sharpshot Bows rule, the Shadow Sling is the most versatile weapon in the game, Ropecaster with +Handling is extreme OP, and the Rattler is for scrubs. All the other weapons are good, keeping a balanced loadout for all the elemental effects is important.

Thanks, tea!

Cinnamon Bear
Aug 29, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Yakuza Kiwami's length felt just right to me, and I've actually completed everything in that whereas I still have parts of 0 left untouched (not crazy enough to go for platinum or 100% completion in that). Its also the only one I went all the way up to Amon.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

BisterdDave posted:

I had a bad feeling they were gonna offer some in-game virtual item(s) as compensation for their lovely CE mishap.

My loving sides. This trainwreck is the gift that keeps on giving

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m glad K1 is short since it’s apparently the roughest modern Yakuza game. I wouldn’t want to burn out on it before I go into K2.

I only ran the risk of burning out because I played it basically immediately after 0. If it’s been a while and you’re hankering for more Kiryu action you’ll be fine, I would imagine.

Completed the second world of Astro Bot. I love this game so much!!!!!!! 2-4 was driving me insane because I died about 15 times trying to get to the first checkpoint due to depth perception issues but then once I made it the rest of the level was incredible.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'm out of the loop. What happened with F: 76?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BisterdDave posted:

I loved 4, but just couldn't find the interest to see 5 through. Saejima's storyline just seemed slow and boring, and Sawamura was interesting, but the mini-games got stale pretty quick.

5 had the hunting section. I sat for hours hunting down a drat bear and the whole section was optional. It was really fun though. I just couldn't get into the completely new character they added. I hated fighting with him and his story didn't seem interesting at all.

Kiwami 1 would probably have been beaten in about 10 or 15 hours if I didn't bother engaging with the Majima everywhere system and trying to unlock a bunch of stuff in the Dragon style. I even did the pocket racing that I had skipped in Yakuza Zero.

blackguy32 fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 29, 2018

DOUBLE CLICK HERE
Feb 5, 2005
WA3

500 atoms is $5, lmaooo

To be fair, would they get much more in a class action lawsuit.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Azran posted:

It came out

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Escobarbarian posted:

I only ran the risk of burning out because I played it basically immediately after 0. If it’s been a while and you’re hankering for more Kiryu action you’ll be fine, I would imagine.

Yeah I avoided Kiwami after finishing 0 just because it looked like more of the same and was worried about getting burnt out. It's been a few months so I think I'm ready to get back into it.

blackguy32 posted:

5 had the hunting section. I sat for hours hunting down a drat bear and the whole section was optional. It was really fun though. I just couldn't get into the completely new character they added. I hated fighting with him and his story didn't seem interesting at all.

That part was optional!?!? drat! Saejima is my least favorite character to fight with, never been a fan of the "bigger but slower power character" in any game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Kiwami 2 made an insane fuckup not letting you skip to the next like of dialogue on the hostess dates

I'm halfway done with them and woof. If it wasn't for my hopes for closure on Yuki I would've given up

Also skipping pocket circuit in 0 or 1 is a gigantic sin

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Azran posted:

https://twitter.com/ImperatorOfPuns/status/1064891878032707584

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

BisterdDave posted:

https://twitter.com/MittenSquad/status/1067984903898365953

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?

BisterdDave posted:

Yeah I avoided Kiwami after finishing 0 just because it looked like more of the same and was worried about getting burnt out. It's been a few months so I think I'm ready to get back into it.

That part was optional!?!? drat! Saejima is my least favorite character to fight with, never been a fan of the "bigger but slower power character" in any game.

Like the initial part I think is required. But everything after that is optional.

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

Azran posted:

https://kotaku.com/200-fallout-76-edition-promised-fancy-bag-delivers-ny-1830724582

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I hope they eventually fix the worst of 76 and then give us a full solo mode because I really want to play it but I’m not touching it as it is currently, a
busted multiplayer only game. The world, enemies, lore, loot, crafting etc all seems wonderfully made.

@yakuza yeah it’s been a bit since 0 so I’m back to wanting more. I’ll likely take a break after each game in the series.

Breaking news, I’m about to boot up the demo for Astro Bot Rescue Mission!

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Azran posted:

The collector's edition was advertised as including a canvas bag, but the bag people actually received is made out of cheap, lovely nylon. When contacted about it, customer support responded (paraphrasing) "yeah it turned out the canvas bags were too expensive to make. We're not planning on doing anything to rectify this. Enjoy your game."

They've now changed this to "We will give you $5 worth of smurfberry monopoly money microtransaction currency as recompense for lying to you about what the collector's edition contained."

Note that this doesn't actually cost them anything.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Is mgsv didn't have gz as a prologue and instead that map was the level for most of the African missions it would've been amazingly better

Mgsv is such a pile of what ifs in a series that always had mediocre gameplay that became perfect

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

You might as well persevere with Ground Zeroes, at least to get the initial story mission done. Once you know how everything works you can do the main mission in like 10 minutes, so even if you royally gently caress up you can just start over from the beginning and it really doesn't set you back to any significant degree. It's a pretty amazing sandbox and I had a lot of fun shenanigans happen.

My best memory was in the process of loving around on the map, I tranquilized a guard who was standing near the main heli-pad and dragged him I thought out of sight. About 15 minutes later I jumped in the back of a truck that was heading down there and would gain me discreet access inside. However, the driver stopped just short of the door...turns out he had spotted the guard I knocked out. He stepped out of the truck, walking over to the body. I started making mental plans for how to make a violent exit when poo poo hit the fan. Then I heard a sharp kicking noise, and the guard yelling "WAKE UP!" the guard woke up and rose to his feet, and...said nothing, I guess still delirious about what had actually happened and too chickenshit to say anything to a superior. The driver walked back to the truck and continued onwards with me still in the back.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Aranan posted:

Play with all of them to find what you like. A simple strat is Ice attacks to weaken armor and then do a ton of damage with regular arrows. Get the skills to slow Time when you aim and notch multiple arrows ASAP.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

My biggest problem with KIWAMI 1 was while I liked the main story but I kept getting annoyed at all the constant interruptions by new characters to pursue their dumb objectives for 45min then never see them ever again before I could get back on track with kiryu's story. Zero handled this much better but I can give KIWAMI a pass since that's how it was written in 2005 so how much can I expect them to do w/o basically rewriting the entire story and changing/cutting massive parts of it 🙇

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

Just to be clear I'm not talking about the sub-stories

Rad Valtar
May 31, 2011

Someday coach Im going to throw for 6 TDs in the Super Bowl.

Sit your ass down Steve.

But did it really?

Bethesda are loving garbage.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

beep by grandpa posted:

Just to be clear I'm not talking about the sub-stories

Yeah I had a big problem with that as well, half the main plot has you doing stupid stuff that's less interesting than a substory , but rendered in full cg! Wow!!

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

mastershakeman posted:

Is mgsv didn't have gz as a prologue and instead that map was the level for most of the African missions it would've been amazingly better

Mgsv is such a pile of what ifs in a series that always had mediocre gameplay that became perfect

I really hate that there isn't a single area in Phantom Pain that's even close to the complexity of Ground Zeroes, and then on top of that there's only like two areas in the whole of Phantom Pain that make good use of vertical space but they feel great. What a waste of an engine.

Plus as fun as the fulton airlift thing is, between that and the noticeably worse enemy AI it just totally trivializes the compared to to Ground Zeroes. But Phantom Pain's areas aren't designed aren't as well enough as Ground Zeroes to make not using the Fulton at all much more fun.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Rad Valtar posted:

Bethesda are loving garbage.

FO4 was a massive red flag for me, I HATED it and it's the first Bethesda game I found flat-out bad on both technical grounds and substance. Skyrim on PS3 was one of the worst ports I've ever played but there was cool stuff in the game. Not touching 76

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!

FO4 was a massive red flag for me, I HATED it and it's the first Bethesda game I found flat-out bad on both technical grounds and substance. Skyrim on PS3 was one of the worst ports I've ever played but there was cool stuff in the game. Not touching 76

I've never been a fan of Fallout. Tried Fallout 3 a couple times and just didn't like the environments and constant survival necessities. Elder Scrolls though is my absolute favorite! Hundreds of hours put into all those games. I have ES Online, but still haven't played it though.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

I hope they eventually fix the worst of 76 and then give us a full solo mode because I really want to play it but I’m not touching it as it is currently, a busted multiplayer only game. The world, enemies, lore, loot, crafting etc all seems wonderfully made.
For me it's only been busted in the usual Bethesda ways, and I barely see other people, when I do they're just doing their own thing, I've played it completely solo. But you play games with your significant other, right? I'd imagine that would be great. I'm sure I'm going to play with my friends eventually and I'm looking forward to that, but it doesn't feel (yet) like I'm missing out by being alone - in fact the excellent soundtrack really plays into that isolated, lonely feel. It's on the streaming services so I'd recommend that for some flavour of the game.

I just got near the end of a quest chain (I think) where some voice I heard on the radio was blocking me from getting where I needed to go to find some fairly important (in world) information - to get there she was forcing me to find something and install it in a big radio array. I found the overseer's (lady you're basically chasing in the footsteps of the whole game) thoughts on this NPC and she rightly characterises her as a total dick.

So I found the things I needed (one of which was on a crashed train that was guarded by a bunch of Mr Gutsys - talking about dicks...) and installed it, then she revealed to me that I'd helped her take over the emergency radio system, that she was a piece of poo poo raider, and she was going to use it to attract like minded individuals and gently caress up everyone else because lol.

And I was like oh :(

But of course, there's no NPCs in the game...

BisterdDave posted:

I've never been a fan of Fallout. Tried Fallout 3 a couple times and just didn't like the environments and constant survival necessities. Elder Scrolls though is my absolute favorite! Hundreds of hours put into all those games. I have ES Online, but still haven't played it though.
ESO is okay but it does feel quite heavily dumbed down, especially in conversations - I don't think you're ever given a conversation choice in the entire game, you just choose them all to get all the information.

I don't regret finishing the main campaign and the Morrowind expansion, though.

Akuma fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 29, 2018

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I just REALLY hope this fo76 disaster marks the end of reviewers always giving them a free pass on dumping buggy messes of barely functioning poo poo on customers and getting 9/10 scores while if it was any developer they'd be docked/poo poo on massively for it.

This is one of my favorite patch note excerpts:

Bethesda posted:

Cryolator Effects: Players hit with the Cryolator are now Chilled, Frosted, or Frozen depending on how many times they are hit. The duration of movement speed reductions applied by these effects have also been decreased from 2 hours to 30 seconds.
Forgive my memory here faithful gamers but I think even World of Warcraft eliminated all debuff durations to not exceed 15min in like 2007 and then to 5min max not too long after except for special cases lmao

beep by grandpa fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

The Phantom Pain was good, but what was really baller was Ground Zeroes. I got all the trophies for that, but it turns out it doesn't have a platinum for some reason.