Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

maybe the least damaging outcome would be if he only lied about the secret trump/russia business deals he was conducting, like trump tower moscow

https://twitter.com/PeteBrush/status/1068146112404561920

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
IDK if this was posted yet but this is quite strong...

https://twitter.com/RoKhanna/status/1067863485994975233

The Super-Id
Nov 9, 2005

"You know it's what you really want."

Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

I've worked in a workplace before where free coffee was eliminated... It didn't go over well.

They should just substitute gun powder for coffee grounds, it would be on brand anyway.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Super-Id posted:

They should just substitute gun powder for coffee grounds, it would be on brand anyway.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

eke out posted:

maybe the least damaging outcome would be if he only lied about the secret trump/russia business deals he was conducting, like trump tower moscow

:raise: that sounds way too dramatic to just be a tower.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.

Random Stranger posted:

I was just going to reply to tell you about the font (I'm fairly certain it's just Times New Roman, but set to a style where the capital letters are about 25% larger than the regular text which is auto-capitalized afterward), but I started reading the document and it is really loving good. Like someone has broken out their classical oratory skills to lay into the government.

The fancy header is olde English, which I believe comes with word but there’s like a thousand variations out there on it

Briefs are written in a font In century family, as required by the Supreme Court rules

The style you are talking about is called small caps

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Trump tower in Moscow in exchange for lifting Russian sanctions??

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

eke out posted:

Just call it what it is: Police Academy 7

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

The Super-Id posted:

Given the price and scarcity of some rifle powders, I would welcome this in a heartbeat.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Chuck Schumer Is Greatly Overestimating Trump’s Popularity

quote:

The Democrats’ record-breaking victory and the public’s clear exhaustion with Donald Trump should prompt a full re-evaluation of this political moment. Instead, when faced with Trump’s demand for $5 billion in funding for his border wall with Mexico, Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer offered the $1.6 billion that Democrats had previously agreed on. This may not constitute support for “the wall” itself, but it does miss how the landscape has changed. The president’s immigration policies are unpopular. Schumer had political space to make a lower bid, or no bid at all. But he doesn’t seem to grasp the extent of his party’s political advantage or understand the value of opposition. He seems stuck in a past where voters rewarded compromise and bipartisanship, unable to see how this doesn’t apply to the Democrats’ relationship with Donald Trump.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/11/donald-trump-unpopularity-chuck-schumer.html

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Snuffman posted:

Trump tower in Moscow in exchange for lifting Russian sanctions??

who knows at this point

but exactly when and where Michael Cohen travelled is a core issue with the Steele dossier, one of the things about it Cohen constantly denied and produced a passport showing he never went to Prague

https://twitter.com/PeteBrush/status/1068146790522855425

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

eke out posted:

who knows at this point

but exactly when and where Michael Cohen travelled is a core issue with the Steele dossier, one of the things about it Cohen constantly denied and produced a passport showing he never went to Prague

Both with Manafort, and it seems Cohen, the special counsel knew all along what the truth was and had enough evidence to foil false testimony, so their omissions are likely not too damaging, while at the same time, should worry the POTUS supporters because they have lock-step evidence of what is actually going on it seems.

Kimsemus fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Nov 29, 2018

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
Thread about aliens and the Fermi Paradox is live, have at it my dudes.

Also I'm sure the angry tweets from Trump today will be extremely lol worthy.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1068150636368355329
https://twitter.com/BradMossEsq/status/1068150137204154370

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

eke out posted:

who knows at this point

Yeah, that was like the only thing in the whole dossier anyone really managed to contest with evidence

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, that was like the only thing in the whole dossier anyone really managed to contest with evidence

It was just a photo of a passport. No one bought it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

yeah this potentially really changes things

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Groovelord Neato posted:

the best example of why they can't do satire is that babylon bee about the purge. they said it'll give antifa jobs being violent. the purge is about how republicans (the new founding fathers) make a free murder day that's just an excuse to kill the poor and other undesirables (so few actual citizens take part they have to send out government death squads). the only citizens that take part are ultrarich christians. their joke doesn't work on any level.

chapo had a good take on this - they can't do comedy because they get too mad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkZM1cFxYIM

There are funny conservatives - Joel hodgson, Norm MacDonald, just to name two. Parker and Stone probably qualify as well. The Zuckers. There's just not really funny when they do conservative political humor, which just falls flat on it's face in most circumstances. In Zuckers case their political stuff is so bad any movie they've done with political humor is unwatchable. But Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie will always be funny. And Parker and Stone's political humor complaining about the left is the worst aged stuff they've done that doesn't hold up. But they're definitely funny people. Joel Hodgson never really did political humor and his stuff still holds up.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.
It sounds like a lot of the dick-tripping is the Kool Kollusion Klub deciding to claim they were not places they provably were. Well and just in general being poo poo at making the sort of misleading but technically true statements you need for the game they were trying to run with Manafort to work.

And yeah people who are conservative can be funny. It can even sort of come up during the humor, because poking fun at yourself is always a thing. For example, Mike Nelson has a book of short things called Mind Over Matters where you see some vague Midwesterny conservatism in some of the topics but they're pretty universally self-directed or clearly just jokes.

Feinne fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 29, 2018

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

https://twitter.com/emptywheel/status/1068148785598078976?s=19

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

Well I guess we now know why Trump bailed so abruptly on the tree lighting ceremony last night.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

CNN's saying that talks between Cohen and Russian officials about Trump Tower Moscow continued through at least August 2016.

Previous reporting (which was big news!) was that it stopped around May of 2016. Cohen's prior story was it stopped in January.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

There are funny conservatives - Joel hodgson, Norm MacDonald, just to name two. Parker and Stone probably qualify as well. The Zuckers. There's just not really funny when they do conservative political humor, which just falls flat on it's face in most circumstances. In Zuckers case their political stuff is so bad any movie they've done with political humor is unwatchable. But Airplane and Kentucky Fried Movie will always be funny. And Parker and Stone's political humor complaining about the left is the worst aged stuff they've done that doesn't hold up. But they're definitely funny people. Joel Hodgson never really did political humor and his stuff still holds up.

I'm not sure how "conservative" Joel Hodgson counts as these days. There's a big difference between being a Republican in the 90's and being a Republican in the era of Trump, and he's made some anti-Trump tweets. (e.g., .https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/762592093109940224 )

And, I mean, the new show has Patton Oswalt as a main cast member. You don't hire Oswalt if you're a Trumpite.

I think Hodgson was just raised white protestant christian and is the sort of person who wants to be "non political." Which is a kind of conservative, sure, especially in today's crisis environment, but he's not actively Conservative in the way that, say, Dennis Miller is.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Nov 29, 2018

aware of dog
Nov 14, 2016

eke out posted:

CNN's saying that talks between Cohen and Russian officials about Trump Tower Moscow continued through at least August 2016.

Previous reporting (which was big news!) was that it stopped around May of 2016. Cohen's prior story was it stopped in January.

Correction: it continued through August 2017

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ewiley posted:

Interesting

https://twitter.com/NormEisen/status/1067985003030740992

Also what font does the SCOTUS use on its headers? That's a pretty sweet font.

That document uses New Century Schoolbook LT Std.

Unless you mean the blackletter "Supreme Court of the United States bit. That's an embedded image here, but is a pretty standard blackletter font.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Nov 29, 2018

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

aware of dog posted:

Correction: it continued through August 2017

i saw this tweeted then heard them say on tv that it was 2016. obviously a big difference between the two, but even if it's 2016 it's a big deal - 2017 would be nuts, since it would still be ongoing after the appointment of Mueller

Meatball
Mar 2, 2003

That's a Spicy Meatball

Pillbug

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

Mike Nelson is a conservative too. He reads new republic and from all accounts is faithfully Christian. He's hilarious.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
P.J O'Rourke is another pretty humorous conservative commentator.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I'm not sure how "conservative" Joel Hodgson counts as these days. There's a big difference between being a Republican in the 90's and being a Republican in the era of Trump, and he's made some anti-Trump tweets. (e.g., .https://twitter.com/JoelGHodgson/status/762592093109940224 )

And, I mean, the new show has Patton Oswalt as a main cast member. You don't hire Oswalt if you're a Trumpite.

I think Hodgson was just raised white protestant christian and is the sort of person who wants to be "non political." Which is a kind of conservative, sure, especially in today's crisis environment, but he's not actively Conservative in the way that, say, Dennis Miller is.

next you'll be telling us that Mike is the type of liberal whose spawn wants to gently caress monkeys and will destroy the world 3 times over

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it's more accurate that specifically conservative jokes are hardly ever funny. But most good comedians don't only tell one kind of joke.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

ReidRansom posted:

That document uses New Century Schoolbook LT Std.

Unless you mean the blackletter "Supreme Court of the United States bit. That's an embedded image here, but is a pretty standard blackletter font.

Ah thank you, that is what I was wondering about. I didn't realize it was an image rather than text. I love me some gothic fonts tho.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Kimsemus posted:

P.J O'Rourke is another pretty humorous conservative commentator.

He's also more 90's republican though. His old stuff is fairly libertarian and when he's on Wait Wait these days he basically does a "oh lord I'm old what is this country coming to with this Trump feller, in my day we didn't have these shenanigans" act.

I think the telling cases for why "conservative" comedy doesn't really work are Dennis Miller and Parker/Stone. They've both hit both sides of the spectrum at different times but their liberal stuff is still funny and their right-wing stuff isn't and it's because their right-wing stuff almost always fails to have any sympathy. Comedy relies on an emotional connection and if you're punching down you aren't connecting emotionally.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT
https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1068154008236380162

Michael Cohen - Martyr of the #Resistance

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I can easily imagine a scenario where Russia wants the sanctions lifted if Trump becomes President, Trump figures he will never win and agrees to do it if he get approval on his Moscow hotel, and later something causes the Trump Tower thing to not happen

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

https://twitter.com/jonswaine/status/1068154008236380162

CNN has the docs so they should be up online soon.

Confirm that the plea is about Trump Moscow negotiations extending through late 2016. Says that Cohen says he continued discussing it with Trump many more times than he previously admitted, plus Trump family members he previously denied.

Admits to travelling to Russia in connection with the project that he'd previously denied, and "contemplation" of trump travelling there.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

exploded mummy posted:

next you'll be telling us that Mike is the type of liberal whose spawn wants to gently caress monkeys and will destroy the world 3 times over

Mike Nelson is fine and all but he's no Joel =(

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
https://twitter.com/USAmbUK/status/1068153625468379136

This is surreal.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I love how their excuse for everything is ‘well, if we didn’t murder those people, Iran would kill more!’

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Trump has to be loving apoplectic right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guze
Oct 10, 2007

Regular Human Bartender

An emboldened Iran would be Saudi Arabia.