Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The only problem I have with mine is that the cats kneading the base has clumped up the padding. I should open a seam and refill it.

That and I bought a black and white zebra striped model which has a black interior. Contrary to expectations, black cat fur really shows up well on a black cat bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I dunno whether I should get one for Jackie... I mean honestly I'd kinda rather she snuggle up next to my leg or something when I'm reading. And now that I have multiple roommates, Jackie's got multiple laps at varying times of day :3:

I also wanted to extend belated sympathies to Noodle :( I honestly try not to... think too much about the fact that Jackie is 13 and, well... She's basically approaching that age where it's like... She could live another 5+ years *easily*, but she could also suddenly get sick and stop eating and be at death's door in ~2 weeks... I mean, cats are so lightweight and fragile, ultimately, it kinda shocks and worries me at times.

My problem is that I just... Honestly have no clue how I'm going to be able to cope with Jackie dying. It's been over 8 years since I adopted her, which means it's been that long since I admitted I had a drug problem, and over 6 years that I've been clean, as well. And I'm being very serious when I say that a big reason for my drug use had to do with being totally isolated and, not having anyone or anything to take care of, I saw no use in taking very good care of myself (low self-worth) and odddly adopted a cat that I (already) cared a great deal about sincerely did save my life, because I don't think I'd have been able to make it through all the long and INCREDIBLY lonely/painful nights trying to readjust to normality if I hadn't had a very kind and affectionate and sensitive cat who always knew when to be with me, and when to back off...

It's embarrassing to say, but the honest truth is that... the most significant emotional relationship that I've had in this decade is with my cat; immediate family notwithstanding. I've only dated a few guys in that time period, but nobody I really fell in love with, nobody serious. On the other hand Jackie saved my life and few things make me happier than stroking the side of her face and under her chin and seeing her look up at my with total affection and love... Or at least, that's how I interpret it.

I just don't know. It's really tough, because I can't really keep another cat while Jackie is around (I've tried!) and because I've never actually suffered the death of a close loved one whom I spent time with day-in and day-out for any period of my life, I know I'm going to be shattered in a way that will be truly awful and which I'll be utterly unprepared for... I mean, I suppose I could die first of a car crash or some other random thing. There is always that. But that'd be so selfish because then Jackie'd probably spend weeks waiting for me to get home before realizing it ain't happening :(

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

I'm single and live alone, so the inevitable saying goodbye was something that weighed heavily in my decision to get a cat. I think about it once in a while, but the 2 years I've had Milly are already worth it.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Boogalo posted:

YOSPOS cat thread favorite heated bed "Fort Warms" is on hella sale ($20) on amazon at the moment. A steal.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00176F9AM

Thank you! ordered 1.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Divorced with two cats. I made my sister promise to take them in if I die before they do. I'm 45 and they're 8 and 10.

I understand worrying about losing them and also about their quality of life if they lose me.

They're my best friends in the world.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

kaworu posted:

I also wanted to extend belated sympathies to Noodle :( I honestly try not to... think too much about the fact that...

My last cat's kidneys went bad at 15 and I know this feel and there are times I look at my current wrecking crew of cats and I get sad thinking about their lame, very dumb, no good mortality.

I have taken measures to prevent these issues though, I have told them explicitly they need to make their insides stronger not weaker. Stronger!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
We had two boys pass away back to back due to FIP and fading kitten syndrome. I tell my currently living boys that they're all gonna live to be at least 20 to compensate.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I had a scare last week because my new kittens gave my old cat some kind of parasite. They've been separate and I was washing my hands switching between cat/kittens but parasitic life finds a way. She's 16 so suddenly getting diarrhea and throwing up is a big deal, but we got her meds and she seems to be pulling out of it fine.

Since all my old cats ended up with the exes when we split this'll be the first one I'll watch deteriorate. I try not to think about it and just appreciate whatever time we have / make it the best I can for her, but it's easy to get bummed out thinking about it.

That's why I don't understand people I know paying lots of money for wonky dog breeds. The poor breeds that have hosed up problems and lowered life spans because of some dumb feature is not something I want to encourage or go out of my way to bond to an animal destined to be unhealthy.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

rear end in a top hat has decided he wants to be in the washer and is suddenly fascinated with jumping in and out

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Speaking of assholes, I just had to bathe Crowley. He's a big floof and had an upset stomach. You can imagine the rest.

He has a cleaner butt now, though! And thank God he didn't track any of it through the house.

Oh man... Maybe I'm paranoid. Diarrhea following eye discharge. Is this bad?

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 28, 2018

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug

Protocol7 posted:

Speaking of assholes, I just had to bathe Crowley. He's a big floof and had an upset stomach. You can imagine the rest.

He has a cleaner butt now, though! And thank God he didn't track any of it through the house.

Oh man... Maybe I'm paranoid. Diarrhea following eye discharge. Is this bad?

Likely possible to be two entirely different issues. As to how bad, couldn’t say. Sounds like a vet thing!

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
I hope Sancho is ok and will miss Noodle badly.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Synthbuttrange posted:

The only problem I have with mine is that the cats kneading the base has clumped up the padding. I should open a seam and refill it.

That and I bought a black and white zebra striped model which has a black interior. Contrary to expectations, black cat fur really shows up well on a black cat bed.

I tried to buy two from Amazon and it informed me shipping would be $76, which I assume is USD so even worse. Did you find a cheaper way to get them to Australia or did you pony up?

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

ILL Machina posted:

I hope Sancho is ok and will miss Noodle badly.

Sancho is ok vet told us to get a humidifier.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

Likely possible to be two entirely different issues. As to how bad, couldn’t say. Sounds like a vet thing!

He's up to his usual shenanigans this morning and honestly the reason I was concerned is that he was cuddling my wife, and he's not a cuddler. So I was being a little melodramatic, I think. He's fine!

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

One of my kittens is if anything too cuddly, left to her own devices she will quite literally spend 12+ hours a day sitting on me. She sleeps on top of me or under the covers next to my feet every night, I sit down? In my lap or across my shoulders. I lean forwards? She jumps up onto my back then climbs to a shoulder.

It is super cute but she bites me (gently) if I try to move her off my lap to do anything.

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

Patrat posted:

One of my kittens is if anything too cuddly, left to her own devices she will quite literally spend 12+ hours a day sitting on me. She sleeps on top of me or under the covers next to my feet every night, I sit down? In my lap or across my shoulders. I lean forwards? She jumps up onto my back then climbs to a shoulder.

It is super cute but she bites me (gently) if I try to move her off my lap to do anything.

Ha wow, my kitten does the same "hey I'm NAPPIN here" nip.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Organza Quiz posted:

I tried to buy two from Amazon and it informed me shipping would be $76, which I assume is USD so even worse. Did you find a cheaper way to get them to Australia or did you pony up?

I bought off an australian seller on ebay!

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Patrat posted:

If this is a problem for you just let me know and I'll adopt her.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
It's my cat's first year with a Christmas tree! That means I'm going to have to get prepared to stop him from chewing on it, because he loves chewing on plastic things when he's bored or pissed off that no one's paying attention to him, which is a habit I'm trying to break but have no idea how. He doesn't eat anything, he just chews on it. Any tips?

To test him, I put up a small tree that has fiber-optic light strands on it. He immediately went to town chewing on it, and I'm afraid he'd chew on the actual (fake plastic) tree and chomp on a light wire and get electrocuted, even though he's good about not chewing on wires. Is there anything I can spray on the tree to stop him from chewing? We won't have tinsel and the tree will be unplugged when we go to sleep.

I'm going to pick up some bitter spray from a pet store - I was looking at this stuff but it's got horrible reviews on Amazon. Wiki-How says apple cider vinegar sprayed on the tree will help, which I happen to have handy, has anyone had success with that? Maybe mixed with orange juice?

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Patrat posted:

In all seriousness, it's probably because she's cold. Kittens are terrible at staying warm on their own, so they naturally seek out sources of warmth - this more than anything is why cats and kittens tend to sleep in piles. Your kitten is cold, and you are warm.

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

D1E posted:

If this is a problem for you just let me know and I'll adopt her.

Can you withstand her deliberations after she leaps atop the Door of Judgement though?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Patrat posted:

Can you withstand her deliberations after she leaps atop the Door of Judgement though?

Big Head Mode!

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
What are you guys using for litter? I have 2 kittens and reviews seem to be all over the place.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

wandler20 posted:

What are you guys using for litter? I have 2 kittens and reviews seem to be all over the place.

Arm and hammer in one for the priss because she likes it and it doesn't smell awful

And the other litter box is exclusively assholes but it has layer crumbles in it because I read that it clumps really well, is dirt cheap, and doesn't have a bad odor. And it clumps like a mother fucker and is dirt cheap.

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.

wandler20 posted:

50% Feline Fresh Pine, 50% World's Best.

FlyTB20C
Sep 16, 2004

wandler20 posted:

I have been through a bunch of different ones lately as experiments, thank goodness she is a chill cat and doesn't seem to mind change. I prefer Arm & Hammer Slide as it doesn't get clumps stuck to the bottom of the litter box and is still stable enough that my girl doesn't drag bits of it all over the house.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

wandler20 posted:

Dr. Elsey's Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter. I think from a tip on here. Mainly it clumps nicely and doesn't track into the rest of my apartment.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

wandler20 posted:

... much like cat litter. :newlol:

Cat‘s Best, but that seems to be Europe only. We use the red variety.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Yep, it's that time of year

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Amazing :allears:

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Saves you the money for a tree topper! :v:

wandler20
Nov 13, 2002

How many Championships?
Thanks all for the recommendations.

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Dr. Elsey's Cat Ultra Premium Clumping Cat Litter. I think from a tip on here. Mainly it clumps nicely and doesn't track into the rest of my apartment.

I think this is what we bought at the pet store. Definitely clumps well but doesn't really seem to help much with odor control. Maybe my cats are just smelly.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Fun fact - I used to live next to Dr. Elsey's current feline veterinarian's office, and would actually take my cats there for healthcare! They were super great. I'd buy his litter but our cats are picky and like the Frisco branded stuff (which is fine, it's the second best clumping litter I've used).

DrewkroDleman
May 17, 2008

SHAME.

Zwille posted:

... much like cat litter. :newlol:

Cat‘s Best, but that seems to be Europe only. We use the red variety.

Oh god do I miss Cat's Best. That stuff was the best! Too bad it isn't in the market Stateside.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
At the emergency vet with one of my kittens.

I came home today, having been gone overnight the past two nights. They had food left in the dispenser bowl, so I figured they weren't starving.

The littler kitten was pretty whiny, following me around and meowing, so I went and gave them fresh food, dry mixed with wet.

Little dude ate like he'd never seen food before, then got really sleepy. I put him on my bed while I worked on some stuff for work, thinking he was having a good old fashioned food coma.

About an hour later, I wrapped up my work and got up, at which point he started staggering around on the bed trying to follow me. It looked like he was drunk, and when he tried to jump off the bed he basically fell off.

When he landed on the carpet, he vomited up a bolus of food, probably about a quarter cup? It was just food, no blood or stool, no visible bile.

I took him in the bathroom and cleaned him up, wrapped him in a towel and drove straight here.

The vet staff took one look at him and took him straight to the back room.

Just finished talking to the vet.

She said that his body temp is significantly low, 98-point-something. His pupilary reflexes are so slow they're almost non-existent. She said in cats this young, she checks blood sugar first, hypoglycemia is common, but his is fine. He doesn't appear dehydrated either, nor emaciated.

She said her differential is toxin vs trauma vs infection, so they have him in a warmer and once his temp stabilizes they'll do an xray to rule out internal trauma. She said she can't tell yet whether he is heading downhill up, so they're going to do neuro checks regularly to determine whether he's improving or not.

She said if after 4-6 hours he's not showing signs of improvement, we'll have to decide what I want to do as far as interventions go.

I'm not one to bankrupt myself for a pet, but I want to give him support and a fighting chance.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice
Oh God, I'm so sorry. I hope they are able to help the little guy.

There's no chance he was exposed to essential oils, is there? The symptoms are exactly like a coworker's dog that was poisoned by a diffuser.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
I don't keep anything of the sort in the house, and Nyx, the other cat, was (and is) just fine.

The vet said she thought it was either toxin, trauma, or infection, with infection being the least likely due to the sudden onset.

They did a basic blood panel, which showed no abnormalities in his blood. They put him in a warmed oxygen incubator thing, and have been monitoring him. I discussed things with the Vet, and decided to forego the Xray because she said it was honestly unlikely to be diagnostic, rather than just "rule out" an internal trauma which seemed unlikely anyway given his symptoms. I told them to continue to monitor him, and gave them permission to start an IV and provide fluids if they felt like he would benefit from it (he currently didn't seem to need them).

My mom met me and we went and got some dinner becuase I hadn't eaten since before I got home from travel.

We went back to the vet to check on him before going home, and he seemed moderately better. He was no longer splayed out flexing his legs/claws, he was curled up on a little warming pad, and he was able to lift his head and kind of groggily look at me, which is better than the "drunken rag doll with spasming limbs" he was when I dropped him off.

The plan is for them to monitor him over night, and I will call them in the morning to see how he is doing. Assuming he is doing better but still needs monitoring, I will take him to my regular vet since they can monitor him just as well but don't charge nearly as much.

The emergency vet folks were great, but they are pricey. The oxygen, blood work, some anti-inflammatory meds, and a blood sugar check ended up being around $850. Luckily they participate in Care Credit so I will have 6 months interest free to pay it off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
Good luck to you and your little buddy; that’s terrifying.