Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ahh yes, the nugs

nice one. popping in for these on the way home tonight...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
tbh I’m not convinced a large number of uber users have ever taken a taxi

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

you can basically discount anything nbsd says about nyc because they have a functioning taxi system along with the willingness and ability to tell uber to suck it and get regulated

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

you keep coming back to this, and i keep wondering what you mean by 'case' here. facebook has non-us users and quite explicitly operates in other countries

e.g. ford can't sell cars in europe without following eu safety and emission regulation. on the immaterial side the eu respects us copyrights, so you do have to pay for software even if the maker is american

the disconnect here is that these rules only apply to a handful of American companies in the eu and elsewhere. they don't apply to domestic companies especially in the EU where regulation of their own large companies is extremely lax.

if these were relatively sane rules applied evenly it would be fine, but they're protectionist trash. this is also a different issue from the general internet censorship laws desired by certain members of the US legislature.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Jabor posted:

The author must be pretty talented, it's gotta be tough to give clear dictation under those conditions

i imagine it's hard to type with musk's shaft and balls in your mouth

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

the disconnect here is that these rules only apply to a handful of American companies in the eu and elsewhere. they don't apply to domestic companies especially in the EU where regulation of their own large companies is extremely lax.

if these were relatively sane rules applied evenly it would be fine, but they're protectionist trash. this is also a different issue from the general internet censorship laws desired by certain members of the US legislature.

gdpr, for example, absolutely does apply to european companies and has caused tremendous meltdowns all over the place in the run-up to it entering into effect. not surprisingly, the first gdpr fines have not been levied against american but european companies. as far as i know, it's hit a portuguese and a german company so far

the national regulatory agencies have been pretty lax on large companies in the past. that was certainly the case in germany. but european anti-trust cases have recently doled out some really painful fines to european companies, so this is changing, too.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

ahh yes, the nugs

aw yeah love me some gastro chunks

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Babies Getting Rabies posted:

gdpr, for example, absolutely does apply to european companies and has caused tremendous meltdowns all over the place in the run-up to it entering into effect. not surprisingly, the first gdpr fines have not been levied against american but european companies. as far as i know, it's hit a portuguese and a german company so far

the national regulatory agencies have been pretty lax on large companies in the past. that was certainly the case in germany. but european anti-trust cases have recently doled out some really painful fines to european companies, so this is changing, too.

lol who cares about euro “companies”
-shaggar, probably

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
in-n-out sucks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lmao, the germans got fined an amazing 20,000 euros! definitely no favoritism there at all and im sure the americans will receive equivalent fines if found to be in non-compliance.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

in-n-out sucks

we don't have in-n-out here but we have 5 guys which definitely sucks and has the worst fries

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

Shaggar posted:

lmao, the germans got fined an amazing 20,000 euros! definitely no favoritism there at all and im sure the americans will receive equivalent fines if found to be in non-compliance.

ugh just shut up

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
five guys is insanely expensive in the UK. they basically just copied the prices in dollars to pounds so a regular hamburger is $9. lmfao

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Shaggar posted:

shagger! :imunfunny:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
i cant wait for angela nagle to go on fox news to explain that our intolerance turned shaggar into a chud

Nomnom Cookie
Aug 30, 2009

bump_fn posted:

five guys is insanely expensive in the UK. they basically just copied the prices in dollars to pounds so a regular hamburger is $9. lmfao

do they put cranberries on it

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

bump_fn posted:

not to worry, not long to go now until that conversion is correct, or even advantageous

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

agreed, everyone laughed about that one. though they also have jack poo poo in terms of revenue and are effectively dead anyway. i bet google and facebook will point to these fines though and it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.
question is: will they allow complete access to their systems for regulatory agencies as knuddels did and also immediately notify every affected user. because that's what knuddels did and was named as the reason for the low fine

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not to worry, not long to go now until that conversion is correct, or even advantageous

ive been transferring as much £ as i can back to my USA accounts becasue yeah lol the gbp is fuuuuuucked

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010

Shaggar posted:

we don't have in-n-out here but we have 5 guys which definitely sucks and has the worst fries

they give you a lot of fries and that's about the best I can say about them

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

agreed, everyone laughed about that one. though they also have jack poo poo in terms of revenue and are effectively dead anyway. i bet google and facebook will point to these fines though and it'll be interesting to see how that pans out.
question is: will they allow complete access to their systems for regulatory agencies as knuddels did and also immediately notify every affected user. because that's what knuddels did and was named as the reason for the low fine

I bet if it means no real fine theyd do it, but more likely the EU regulators will want to make a show of it regardless of cooperation.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

in-n-out's fries are literally the worst i've ever had from a fast food place. they're nearly inedible. the burgs are fine for fast food. i assume worst coasters that talk it up have never had it sober to actually know how mediocre it is.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

bump_fn posted:

i cant wait for angela nagle to go on fox news to explain that our intolerance turned shaggar into a chud

yeah everyone who disagrees with you on any issue is immediately the imagined evil you're scared of.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

in-n-out's fries are literally the worst i've ever had from a fast food place. they're nearly inedible. the burgs are fine for fast food. i assume worst coasters that talk it up have never had it sober to actually know how mediocre it is.

are they the same as 5 guys where they run a potato thru a dicer and dump it into the fryer? cause yeah those are bad. the only thing worse than fresh cut fries are baked "fries"

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

I bet if it means no real fine theyd do it, but more likely the EU regulators will want to make a show of it regardless of cooperation.

so now we've shifted from "this is protectionism" to "this is potentially protectionism", gotcha

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
it is definitely protectionism and the EU is definitely not going to give facebook, goog, et.al. the same slap on the wrist regardless of cooperation.

the 20000 euros is because it got reported and they had no recourse but to issue some kind of fine. if they could have ignored it they would have

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
the dissolution of the EU, while not as entertaining as the balkanisation of the USA, will still be pretty funny except for the part where it will be followed by full blown fascism

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
WREG uncovers restaurants operating illegally on delivery apps
https://wreg.com/2018/11/12/wreg-uncovers-restaurants-operating-illegally-on-delivery-apps/

quote:

We also couldn’t find a required permit from the health department for the company or any of the restaurants. According to the health department, any facility selling or preparing food is required to have one.

“It’s very important because that way the public knows they’re receiving a product that should feel safe,” said Casia Smith Alexander, manager of environmental health. “At least we feel by permitting the facility, that they are in a place that’s providing something that’s safe, that’s regulatory.”

So how has Expodine been able to sell hundreds of orders of foods?

According to Uber Eats, they have a qualification process in place to verify a restaurant before partnering with them. They wouldn’t expand on what that process is.

Other restaurants told us they don’t remember having to provide any proof of permits or licensing, but there are meal and safety standards you agree to when signing up.

Regulation shmegulation!

quote:

He says his Uber Eats driver was also there waiting. They talked outside about the odd experience.

“She said she was standing there and in her confusion was watching this lady eat the food she was preparing into these containers and licking her fingers, no washing of hands, and really kind of grossed her out.”

Grossed out and disappointed, he left his own complaint.

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

https://twitter.com/cfarivar/status/1067880182751551489?s=19

Unrelated

https://twitter.com/issielapowsky/status/1068147563369545739?s=19

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones

Shaggar posted:

it is definitely protectionism and the EU is definitely not going to give facebook, goog, et.al. the same slap on the wrist regardless of cooperation.

the 20000 euros is because it got reported and they had no recourse but to issue some kind of fine. if they could have ignored it they would have

nah

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

shagggers right about one thing at least

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

bump_fn posted:

the dissolution of the EU, while not as entertaining as the balkanisation of the USA, will still be pretty funny except for the part where it will be followed by full blown fascism

"followed"?

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

fair enough lol

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

doing god's work

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

you think they will get a slap on the wrist? id be fine w/ that

Babies Getting Rabies
Apr 21, 2007

Sugartime Jones
honestly: depends on the country. france won't be fun for them, germany will probably be a slap on the wrist. maybe except in bavaria. data protection agencies here are federally organized and from my professional experience, the only one that isn't completely understaffed and toothless is bavaria.

i also don't see them as the first likely target for high fines. personally, i'd bet on insurance or credit agencies. they have money, poo poo systems and processes, a fuckton of data and are universally despised.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
Regulators are not idiots and know that gdpr takes time to implement.

They're probably going to ease into enforcing it, and not suddenly issue huge fines, especially to companies that demonstrate that they are on a path towards compliance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

summarize or excerpt the important parts. These rss-feed posts are the worst

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Sagebrush posted:

summarize or excerpt the important parts. These rss-feed posts are the worst

the important part is the linked tweet that goes to a hosted document, not the thread

e: the redacted portions allege a bunch of shady poor-faith business practices done by people reporting directly to the zucc

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Zlodo posted:

Regulators are not idiots and know that gdpr takes time to implement.

They're probably going to ease into enforcing it, and not suddenly issue huge fines, especially to companies that demonstrate that they are on a path towards compliance.

The companies had two years from the time it was passed to implemented. gently caress them.