Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once

fool_of_sound posted:

Most of the time they genuinely can't tell that they're not funny and nobody is convinced because they didn't have a lot of social skills in the first place and what they did have had melted out their ears from never interacting with real people.

please start a charity for them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

cooler matty is not matty imo.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

fun hater posted:

i have an alternate theory that coolmatty is insanely dumb as evidenced by yesterday and wanted the mean cool kids to notice him and didnt consider the long term consequences of his throwaway being so similar to his own. it not weird to have an account you use only to browse certain subreddits.

e: also why would anyone impersonate him, specifically.

You are unbelievably stupid.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Columbo here gonna tell us that's not bugs bunny in a dress trying to trick elmer fudd.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

coolmatty is kind of an idiot but i'm going to use my unbelievably high intellect of 151 (sorry goose, your skull shape isn't optimal) to deduce that it absolutely isn't him, and if someone wanted to make a 'burner' account to post like a shithead they probably wouldn't have it be the exact same thing but with 'cool' changed to 'cooler'

thank you for coming to my ted talk

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

coolmatty is kind of an idiot but i'm going to use my unbelievably high intellect of 151 (sorry goose, your skull shape isn't optimal) to deduce that it absolutely isn't him, and if someone wanted to make a 'burner' account to post like a shithead they probably wouldn't have it be the exact same thing but with 'cool' changed to 'cooler'

thank you for coming to my ted talk

Im baffled anyone could think otherwise, especially after someone saying hhow obvious it is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

regardless of whether or not coolermatty is coolmatty, coolmatty is incomprehensibly stupid

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Random Stranger posted:

A question since we're talking about boycotting GDQ: are runners talking about withdrawing from the event? I think it's fair that they might want to give GDQ a week or two to have a proper response to this situation, but people should be saying, "I'm thinking about not going," right now. The event is a lot bigger than the runners involved, but a large group of them refusing to go would be a lot more effective protest than the tiny fraction of GDQ viewers who are engaged enough to know what's going on and care enough to boycott.

I think you'd need a lot of the bigger name runners to all agree to withdraw out of principle, and as you've just seen from cheese being an nitwit, I don't see that happening.

most of the smaller time runners like, well, me, I suppose, are extremely replaceable there are so many people eager to take my place and whom don't care or don't know about all of this. It's one of the reasons I find GDQs position kind of scary actually because they can absolutely do wrong and gently caress over a decent chunk of people and it wouldn't matter, they have so many to choose from.

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
PCF should bring in their own PR person because the kind of person it takes to be a speed runner just so happen to be not the kind of person who should be a PR figure.

heehee
Sep 5, 2012

haha wow i cant believe how lucky we got to win :D
glod splits haha

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I would hope this whole episode inspires a variety of policy & staffing re-evaluations, including but not limited to:
  • Hiring a competent PR manager (one who doesn't say things like "our investigation is complete" about an investigation that is ongoing, or "we allow differences of opinion" regarding dehumanizing nazi-rear end bigotry)
  • Reconsidering the blanket policy to never publicly condemn out-of-order behaviour/comments by runners (a policy that creates the impression, among those who don't follow behind-the-scenes gossip, that this behaviour is condoned)
  • Establishing explicit messaging on the views and vision of the organization, and loudly/continuously reaffirming this messaging, to ensure that such behaviour/comments can't be mistaken as representing GDQ as a whole
  • Strengthening security/discipline policies to ensure the safety and well-being of marginalized groups at the event (or at least, enforcing the policies as firmly as GDQ claims to, which according to PMG is not happening)
  • Recognizing that a passive attitude of "they'll figure out they're not welcome" is an ineffective tactic against alt-right groups who are keen to claim spaces they consider rightfully theirs, don't care about your disapproval, and will push the rules as far as they can get away with
  • Recognizing that you can kick people out of your private event for harassment, regardless of police involvement or the confirmed legality/illegality of their behaviour. Merkle said they can't do this and that GDQ would end if they tried, which is ?????
  • Vetting runners. Obviously vetting every single applicant is an unreasonably massive task, but you can definitely vet the ones who are candidates for the final schedule. If you can put the effort into evaluating whether their proposed run is good enough for the show, you can also put the effort into evaluating whether they're unabashedly a nazi or a pedophile or a nazi pedophile.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Supercar Gautier posted:

I would hope this whole episode inspires a variety of policy & staffing re-evaluations, including but not limited to:

[*]Establishing explicit messaging on the views and vision of the organization, and loudly/continuously reaffirming this messaging, to ensure that such behaviour/comments can't be mistaken as representing GDQ as a whole

i agree with this whole list but especially this part. abandon the pretense that you can be 'neutral' in the face of dangerous nazi bullshit in the year of our lord 2018 and instead stand for something

i think a lot of the other changes will follow for an organization that takes that seriously

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
They need a queer person and/or poc involved in this alleged decision making and vetting process because having a PR person isn't gonna cut it if it's the same people making the same mistakes all the time

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
IIRC that's sort of what PMG was and you see how well that turned out. Maybe not decision-making level but definitely part of the staff and even then her comments were ignored

E: The comments that've been made so far by matty would do a lot to drive away any POC/queer person from doing this just because "well, it's a police matter" or "differing of opinion" is a big red flag saying "we won't actually provide any support or backup when you attempt to unfuck things so enjoy being the target point for every abusive shithead's retaliation"

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
If it's fundamentally structured around people who are unwilling to change and can't be gotten rid of then it's probably best just to let it burn itself down and move support to something like puwp, instead of propping up a rotten corpse with a bunch of measures that look good but probably won't mean much in the long run

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum
I mean PMG literally called out Matt for lying because she brought video proof of people doing the exact sort of transphobic poo poo Grav got slapped for, and not only were they not banned, they still had runs at the events

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Zamujasa posted:

IIRC that's sort of what PMG was and you see how well that turned out. Maybe not decision-making level but definitely part of the staff and even then her comments were ignored

E: The comments that've been made so far by matty would do a lot to drive away any POC/queer person from doing this just because "well, it's a police matter" or "differing of opinion" is a big red flag saying "we won't actually provide any support or backup when you attempt to unfuck things so enjoy being the target point for every abusive shithead's retaliation"

Pmg didn't make like, org decisions. She was contained to interviews and pre show.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

I mean PMG literally called out Matt for lying because she brought video proof of people doing the exact sort of transphobic poo poo Grav got slapped for, and not only were they not banned, they still had runs at the events

Yep, there's a huge gap between their stated rules and the enforcement thereof. They say on their website that their policy on harassment is zero tolerance and wide-ranging. Clearly, according to one of the show's biggest personalities, that's not the case.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
This is the constant issue of straight/white/male "allies" not actually being there for people of color, women or the LGBT community when the rubber meets the road.

What good is talking about how inclusive and tolerant you are if you don't actually do anything to achieve those goals?

This was a serious test of GDQ's stated mission to diversity and inclusion and they failed horribly. They may not have realized it was a test at the time, but it absolutely was and they did awful and need to make changes immediately.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Studio posted:

Pmg didn't make like, org decisions. She was contained to interviews and pre show.

Still part of the organization and still shows exactly the problem that was mentioned.

axeil posted:

What good is talking about how inclusive and tolerant you are if you don't actually do anything to achieve those goals?

People who don't pay attention think you're doing something meaningful without having to put your money where your mouth is.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Studio posted:

'contained'

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Aurora posted:

'contained'

I thought I swyped constrained :argh:, which is slightly different. But yeah GDQ is pretty siloed in role and responsibility, which is uh, rough, very often.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Studio posted:

I thought I swyped constrained :argh:, which is slightly different. But yeah GDQ is pretty siloed in role and responsibility, which is uh, rough, very often.

yeah also lgbqt people in other positions shouldn't have to try to be their conscience about these issues, it's not a substitute for having those people in meaningful leadership roles

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

What if what kept colon cancer down was all the people having butt fun and noticing lumps inside the butt - and now that it's no longer illegal, nobody is having butt fun so there's no more early detection? Check and mate, Goose.

Clearly we all need to have more butt fun and to try and detect cancer, because there's nothing I can recommend about it.

And now for an actually useful reply:

eke out posted:

yeah also lgbqt people in other positions shouldn't have to try to be their conscience about these issues, it's not a substitute for having those people in meaningful leadership roles
This is it, right here. LGBQT+ people aren't other peoples conscience, and being or knowing one isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Everyone needs to think about how their words and actions can hurt other people - It's hard work. It's even harder to apologize, when you gently caress up - but you apologize, tell people how you're going to make amends, and then go make amends.

EDIT: Holy poo poo words are hard.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 29, 2018

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.
Having been to these things I can sympathise with why PMG is pissed about it all because I overheard plenty of disparaging remarks about specifically her just from hanging around the loving hotel

and I'm just a random observer I'm not even the one it's being directed at

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

SuccinctAndPunchy posted:

Having been to these things I can sympathise with why PMG is pissed about it all because I overheard plenty of disparaging remarks about specifically her just from hanging around the loving hotel

thats incredibly hosed

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

gamer culture outright hatred and hostility towards women and especially transwomen is sickening and why I do everything possible to avoid identifying with "gamers". If anyone in the real world calls me a "gamer" I immediately correct them because I don't want to be lumped in with those monsters.

They might also hate transmen but I never seem to see the vitriol that gamers have for transwomen directed at transmen.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

D. Ebdrup posted:

This is it, right here. LGBQT+ people aren't other peoples conscience, and being or knowing one isn't a get-out-of-jail-free card.
Everyone needs to think about how their words and actions can hurt other people - It's hard work. It's even harder to apologize, when you gently caress up - but you apologize, tell people how you're going to make amends, and then go make amends.

The problem is for a lot of people the "I know X, so I can't Y" defense works.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

That's awful.

In all honesty, what does one do in this situation? Do you straight-up confront these people and say "hey that's really not cool"?

axeil posted:

gamer culture outright hatred and hostility towards women and especially transwomen is sickening and why I do everything possible to avoid identifying with "gamers". If anyone in the real world calls me a "gamer" I immediately correct them because I don't want to be lumped in with those monsters.

They might also hate transmen but I never seem to see the vitriol that gamers have for transwomen directed at transmen.

Gamers are the truly oppressed. #RiseUp

DizzyBum fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Nov 29, 2018

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

axeil posted:

Part of it is it's a bit easier to pass as a transman than a transwoman, especially after hormones, at least in my experience.

Your mileage may vary

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

DizzyBum posted:

In all honesty, what does one do in this situation? Do you straight-up confront these people and say "hey that's really not cool"?

Yes.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

That's awful.

a simple "cmon, really?" Is sometimes enough to get them to regret their words and deeds. If these people are in insular enough communities, like the elite, its possible theyve never had any kind of pushback at all ever to saying these kinds of things. If they double down just deck them lol

trashy owl
Aug 23, 2017

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

If they double down just deck them lol

If you do this please video it so I can watch it over and over.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

0x909090cc posted:

If you do this please video it so I can watch it over and over.

And don't forget to upload it to the leaderboards. :v:

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Itll be tough to break richardspencer% but ill try

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

i am not decking anyone no matter how much fun I would find it

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

a simple "cmon, really?" Is sometimes enough to get them to regret their words and deeds. If these people are in insular enough communities, like the elite, its possible theyve never had any kind of pushback at all ever to saying these kinds of things. If they double down just deck them lol

I'm not a confrontational person but I am definitely a "Really??" kind of guy; I can at least do that much.

Not gonna start punching people for saying dumb things, though. That's counter-productive.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

iospace posted:

The problem is for a lot of people the "I know X, so I can't Y" defense works.
They may think it works, but that just shows they have a lot of learning left to do.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

D. Ebdrup posted:

What if what kept colon cancer down was all the people having butt fun and noticing lumps inside the butt - and now that it's no longer illegal, nobody is having butt fun so there's no more early detection? Check and mate, Goose.

Clearly we all need to have more butt fun and to try and detect cancer, because there's nothing I can recommend about it.

I agree in the abstract, in that that should be the way it works, but just slapping a PR person on the team and leaving the decision making to the same group of people who've made the same bad decisions over and over and just expecting them to change is just asking for disappointment. Plus I'm not too thrilled at the idea of specifically excluding minorities from the process out of some notion that you can yell cishet white men with lovely ideas into doing the right thing, as that invariably never works. If you want minorities to be included and protected, you need to have them involved at every level to insure they're being heard and their suggestions being incorporated into the process.

site fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i am not decking anyone no matter how much fun I would find it

Succinct and not very punchy