Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I got the GBA warrioware game the day before I got a horrible stomach bug.

I’m pretty sure I completed that game entirely on the toilet.

exactly like Wario would've wanted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

TheScott2K posted:

what did they end up doing to stimulate sales of the 3DS I can't remember

big price cut and throwing SNES roms at early adopters

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

TheScott2K posted:

They fixed the two gigantic glaring issues that literally everyone rightly complained about and that were holding the system back from being a true sales blockbuster.

You know, the exact opposite of the current switch situation

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!

Over There posted:

Asking mom to keep the lights on in the car so you could see your GBA

But that's illegal! You don't want us to get pulled over, do you?

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

A FUCKIN CANARY!! posted:

Now I'm just thinking about how great WarioWare Twisted would look and play on the toilet

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's called WarioWare Gold and it just came out on 3ds a couple of months ago

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

RandomFerret posted:

It's called WarioWare Gold and it just came out on 3ds a couple of months ago

its good

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

TheScott2K posted:

started making better software

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

TheScott2K posted:

Price cut but I remember it also got a huge boost from Fire Emblem Awakening, which was a critical and financial success. It not only helped the 3DS regain momentum but it also literally saved the Fire Emblem franchise; Awakening was a big hit mainly due to the developers thinking "this might be the last one so let's go all out." For that reason I'm not really surprised Awakening has 3 reps in Smash Bros---it was a pivotal game.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

They fixed the two gigantic glaring issues that literally everyone rightly complained about and that were holding the system back from being a true sales blockbuster.

You know, the exact opposite of the current switch situation

the light thing and what’s the other issue? chargeable battery?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Timesplitters 2 or Future Perfect would be far better than the original game :colbert:.

It's confusing, but there's a Timesplitters HD collection, comprised of all 3 games, that was apparently finished, and I think it's simply called Timesplitters HD. That's what I was referring to, because I agree with you completely.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

b_d posted:

the light thing and what’s the other issue? chargeable battery?

The 3DS?

The face tracking, so you dont have to hold deadly still in the sweet spot, and the nipple, so you dont need to use an add-on infrared right thumb stick.

Both of those massively improved the consoles usability, and the nipple greatly opened up the type of games that could be played on it.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

oh whoops I was thinking about the GBA still.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Now that Spintires is out on Switch there's really only two other car games missing. Port Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Wreckfest, you cowards! Oh and also Car Mechanic Simulator 2018.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Lodin posted:

Now that Spintires is out on Switch there's really only two other car games missing. Port Euro Truck Simulator 2 and Wreckfest, you cowards! Oh and also Car Mechanic Simulator 2018.

Needs My Summer Car.

I don't even have it, it just sounds like the comedy option.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

It's crazy good. Basically OG Warioware plus Twisted plus Touched and some other stuff. And various modes that switch between them with increasingly little warning.

Kinda can't wait to see what a Switch Warioware looks like.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
Guys the answer was "they cut the price from $250 to $170 because it wasn't selling" and it worked. All that other stuff came later. The face tracking came much later. The next step to build the Switch install base is to cut it to $250 or (better idea) put a game in the $300 box that shows off its strengths.

The BF deals didn't just move a lot of consoles because people were in a console buying mood - they moved them because the value proposition (the "story" the dreaded analysts were referring to) improved to the point that previously-on-the-fence buyers were interested. You'd think Nintendo would have figured this out after the Wii, where one box got you all you needed to play Wii Bowling with your family on Christmas morning and it sold like crazy, but of course Nintendo is gonna Nintend and they just saw it as a missed opportunity to sell boxed copies of Wii Sports.

Pointing out that Switch hardware sales had gotten soft this year leading up to BF isn't "Nintendo is doomed," it's a reasonable conclusion to draw from available data. 2019 is going to be the year of the $200 PS4/Xbone and despite this thread's protestations to the contrary they are, in fact, in competition with them. Software helps, but a big way software can help is by making a compelling console bundle. A lot of kids are going to unwrap a PS4 Slim with Spider Man in the box this Christmas.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I am one of those kids, except I unwrapped it on Black Friday. Spiderman is really frickin neat you guys!

On the other hand my brother spend $800 on Nintendo hardware. The free MK deal was still enticing enough for him to snag two switches

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

TheScott2K posted:

Guys the answer was "they cut the price from $250 to $170 because it wasn't selling" and it worked. All that other stuff came later. The face tracking came much later. The next step to build the Switch install base is to cut it to $250 or (better idea) put a game in the $300 box that shows off its strengths.

The BF deals didn't just move a lot of consoles because people were in a console buying mood - they moved them because the value proposition (the "story" the dreaded analysts were referring to) improved to the point that previously-on-the-fence buyers were interested. You'd think Nintendo would have figured this out after the Wii, where one box got you all you needed to play Wii Bowling with your family on Christmas morning and it sold like crazy, but of course Nintendo is gonna Nintend and they just saw it as a missed opportunity to sell boxed copies of Wii Sports.

Pointing out that Switch hardware sales had gotten soft this year leading up to BF isn't "Nintendo is doomed," it's a reasonable conclusion to draw from available data. 2019 is going to be the year of the $200 PS4/Xbone and despite this thread's protestations to the contrary they are, in fact, in competition with them. Software helps, but a big way software can help is by making a compelling console bundle. A lot of kids are going to unwrap a PS4 Slim with Spider Man in the box this Christmas.

Switch sales have been up though. And Nintendo historically makes most of it sales from November to January. Unless you think pachter's estimate of Nintendo only selling 8m this year has validity.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

KingSlime posted:

I am one of those kids, except I unwrapped it on Black Friday. Spiderman is really frickin neat you guys!

On the other hand my brother spend $800 on Nintendo hardware. The free MK deal was still enticing enough for him to snag two switches

MK is the game I've been thinking of as the perfect pack-in game. Port of a WiiU game so the dev costs are long in the past and most people haven't played it, very accessible, lots of content, good couch multiplayer, and most people are aware of Mario Kart. Hell, they're already doing it with MK7 if you buy a New 3DS/2DS.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I want more Mario Kart DLC.:argh:

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Ohtsam posted:

Yeah, this time last year it was reported they have straight up the largest cash stockpile of any Japanese company.

And for good reason. Nintendo is in a market where all of it's rivals are amongst the biggest mega conglomerates in the world. They need cash stockpiled up to survive a failed generation or two.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Didn't the 3DS also have a horrible set of launch games? And I remember confusion when they called it a launch window or something to make it sound like more stuff was releasing earlier, like Kid Icarus and Mario Kart 7.

Like the best three games at launch were probably Street Fighter, Nintendogs + Cats and Samurai Warriors. Maybe Pilotwings too? Nothing anyone will get super excited about.

Actually releasing games helped a little, even if the price cut was probably the main thing that saved it.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

No lie I saw a pilotwings demo at best buy and that is what sold me on the system.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I can't believe Nintendo is doomed again

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Don’t forget system seller Steel Diver

They released OoT 3D at some point but there wasn’t much else going for it until after the price drop.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Lowly times, those were...

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

pichupal posted:

Didn't the 3DS also have a horrible set of launch games? And I remember confusion when they called it a launch window or something to make it sound like more stuff was releasing earlier, like Kid Icarus and Mario Kart 7.
This was the 3DS launch line-up in the US:

TechCrunch posted:

Nintendo games:
Pilotwings Resort
Steel Diver
Nintendogs + Cats

Third-Party Games:
Super Street Fighter IV 3D Edition
The Sims 3
Madden NFL Football
Pro Evolution Soccer 2011 3D
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
Ridge Racer 3D
Super Monkey Ball 3D
Bust-A-Move Universe
Samurai Warriors: Chronicles
Asphalt 3D
Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D
Rayman 3D
Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon Shadow Wars

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

The Kins posted:

This was the 3DS launch line-up in the US:

whew

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I remember IGN (lol) had an episode of their Nintendo podcast that was a bunch of editors complaining about the 3DS and how they felt ripped off because it didn't have anything worth playing at launch. I think this was right after Nintendo announced those free games they gave everyone as an apology.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I bought a 3DS right before the XL came out under the mistaken assumption that a portable Nintendo with an eShop would surely have a number of SNES games available to play on the go. Learned a lot from that whole bit. Enjoyed Super Mario 3D Land immensely, though.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I was personally pissed at the 3D stuff, why take extra hardware power for a gimmick when it could go to better visuals or longer battery life? Thankfully, turning it off was pretty inconsequential.

I was also not happy about the lack of a second stick...eventually the 3ds got an amazing library but maaaan it was initially such a let down

Like, this is what followed the legendary DS? It looked dated as hell even at launch

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I'm still surprised they never sold those GBA Ambassador titles to non-ambassadors.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

pichupal posted:

Like the best three games at launch were probably Street Fighter, Nintendogs + Cats and Samurai Warriors. Maybe Pilotwings too? Nothing anyone will get super excited about.

Actually releasing games helped a little, even if the price cut was probably the main thing that saved it.

Yes, and the system had mediocre sales for quite some time until a combination of a price drop and building a quality library.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

3DS is a great console and it's hard not to call it a success, but you know Nintendo wishes it had done DS numbers.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The 3DS?

The face tracking, so you dont have to hold deadly still in the sweet spot, and the nipple, so you dont need to use an add-on infrared right thumb stick.

Both of those massively improved the consoles usability, and the nipple greatly opened up the type of games that could be played on it.

Those weren't fixed until the console refresh way later, it was the price drop that boosted sales for the 3DS initially.

I legit wish Nintendo would start porting over 3DS titles to the Switch. I'd double dip like a motherfucker on my whole 3DS library.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

3DS is a great console and it's hard not to call it a success, but you know Nintendo wishes it had done DS numbers.

I'm shocked it performed as well as it did due to the botched launched, relying on a feature few people ultimately cared about, and coming out at a time when smartphones owned both the mobile and budget gaming market.

Just look at how much of a brutal time the Vita had. Yes, it was pretty expensive and you had to pay for memory sticks but still...

There's a reason why Nintendo won't be launching a 4DS.

punk rebel ecks fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Nov 29, 2018

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

punk rebel ecks posted:

I'm shocked it performed as well as it did due to the botched launched, relying on a feature few people ultimately cared about, and coming out at a time when smartphones owned both the mobile and budget gaming market.

Nintendo really made a whole lot of new people interested in video games with the DS and Wii who promptly decided phone games were good enough

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Nintendo really made a whole lot of new people interested in video games with the DS and Wii who promptly decided phone games were good enough

Exactly.

Luckily they could count on the kids market, hardcore fans, and the few people out there that wanted a dedicated gaming device. Unfortunately, for their console, only one of those three groups showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Needs My Summer Car.

I don't even have it, it just sounds like the comedy option.

Satan y perkele, how could I forget that game? Do it, you Fin-cowards!