Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Use the Eye!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I forgot what the Eye of Lhaz does but this seems like a good place to find out.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
We've been carting that thing around for what, two books now? Go for the Eye, BooBraveheart!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
Give 'em the ol' Lhazy Eye!

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Lhazer that scaly sucker!

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

We've been carting that thing around for what, two books now? Go for the Eye, BooBraveheart!

How did we acquire it in the first place?

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Let's try the Eye of Lhaz!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

nelson posted:

How did we acquire it in the first place?
Some villagers gave it to us when we freed them from an evil shaman in The Buccaneers of Shadaki.

Rune War posted:

You command the angry serpent to ignore you and your companion and swim off along the waterway. The creature withdraws its head and slowly it blinks its green eyes. It hesitates, and you sense that its rudimentary mind is confused by your command. Although it does not obey your mental suggestion, you detect that it has momentarily lost its desire to attack.

‘Quick, Hulsta, follow me,’ you whisper. ‘Let us get away before it recovers its senses!’ You press your back against the rough wall of this underground conduit and edge your way around the menacing creature.

You beckon Hulsta to follow as you wade through the icy waters towards a grill that is fixed into the ceiling. Using your Discipline of Grand Nexus, you are able to loosen the dirt which holds this grill in place. Then you force it out of its seating and help your companion to climb through the opening.

You are about to take hold of Hulsta’s outstretched hand and climb up after him when suddenly you notice a trail of bubbles rising to the surface of the subterranean river. Your Kai senses scream a warning that a second serpent is fast approaching your legs.
Shall we try to climb up as quickly as we can or prepare to fight?

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice
I think this is the part of the movie where the hero barely escapes by climbing quickly.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Yeah, we have Grand Huntmastery, so we should be able to climb assuming we don't roll badly.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
War is all around us
My mind says prepare to fight
So if I gotta die
I'm gonna listen to my body tonight

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
Now that Hulsta's safe we can prepare to fight at our leisure.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

nelson posted:

I think this is the part of the movie where the hero barely escapes by climbing quickly.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

What kind of reptile hangs out in that kind of cold? This is where Dever really lost me.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Climb up.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Jonah Galtberg posted:

What kind of reptile hangs out in that kind of cold? This is where Dever really lost me.
Sure, that's the implausible part of all this.

Maugrim posted:

Now that Hulsta's safe we can prepare to fight at our leisure.

Rune War posted:

The second serpent rears out of the water and lunges forward in an attempt to stab you with its venomous fangs. You dodge aside to avoid being gouged and then strike a mighty blow to its neck, just as the creature withdraws its head in readiness for a second attack. The great snake hisses angrily. You have opened a deep wound, but it has not incapacitated the creature. Once more it stretches its terrifying jaws and prepares to lunge at your chest.

Duadon River Serpent: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 32

This enemy is immune to all forms of psychic attack. If you possess ‘Illuminatus’ or ‘Spawnsmite’, you will benefit from the additional combat bonus applicable to its unique properties.
Braveheart: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 31
Duadon River Serpent: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 32
Combat Ratio: 8

We roll: 3
Braveheart: COMBAT SKILL 48 ENDURANCE 28
Duadon River Serpent: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 23

We roll: 8
Duadon River Serpent: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 7

We roll: 10
Duadon River Serpent: COMBAT SKILL 40 ENDURANCE 0

Rune War posted:

The giant serpent emits a loud hiss as your killing blow penetrates its brain. Racked with convulsions, it thrashes the water and whips the surface to a crimson froth until, finally, it surrenders to death and its body is carried away by the swift current.

You sheathe your bloodied Weapon and grab Hulsta’s strong hand, allowing him to haul you through the opening in the ceiling. As your feet return to dry and solid ground, you are pleased to see that your dangerous detour along the underground river was not in vain, for you now find yourself standing in a section of the tunnel which lies beyond the blocking wall.

You continue along the tunnel for several hundred yards until Hulsta calls you to a halt. He holds his lantern up to the wall and you notice that the stonework is changing. A ragged seam encircles the tunnel where brown brickwork meets rough grey rock.

‘This is good,’ says Hulsta, approvingly. ‘We’re passing through the granite foundations of Skull-Tor. According to the plans, this tunnel runs to a dungeon store room, three levels below the surface. We have not far to go now—perhaps two hundred paces at most.’

You are about to lead the way when suddenly you hear a rumbling sound and feel a tremor run through the floor.

‘What was that?’ you ask, anxiously.

‘Ore wagons, most likely,’ replies Hulsta. ‘We must be directly below the West Gate of Skull-Tor.’

Hulsta stops to replace the candle in his lantern, and as he does so, you ask him what you can expect to find when you reach the tunnel’s end.

‘The plans indicate a secret panel which can be opened from both sides,’ he replies. ‘When we reach the panel, I shall stay in the tunnel and await your return. I’ll only be a burden if I accompany you, and I have no wish to endanger your vital mission. You must enter Skull-Tor alone and make your way up to the surface. Vandyan’s chambers are located in the inner keep, and from what I’ve been able to gather, the runes are there also. They are being kept in a hall on the—’

Hulsta’s words are suddenly drowned by a deafening noise. The floor shifts violently and you are hurled onto your back as the passageway heaves and shakes. A wide crack appears in the ceiling and you hear Hulsta scream in terror as tons of stone and earth cascade into the tunnel. Helplessly you watch as your companion is buried beneath this deluge of dirt and broken rock.

We roll: 3.

In less than a minute the tunnel is sealed off by a solid wall of earth and broken rock. The air is thick with dust and you have difficulty seeing and breathing. Your legs have been pinned to the floor by the rockfall and, as you drag yourself free, you suddenly feel a sharp pain below your left knee where it has been gashed by a chunk of granite: lose 2 ENDURANCE points.

Carefully you extricate yourself from the debris and, using your infravision, you attempt to locate Hulsta. It is difficult to see through the dirt-choked air and so you rely on your heat-vision in order to detect your guide. Quickly you discover his left hand protruding from beneath the mound of fallen debris, but when you touch it you sense at once that your brave companion has not survived this disastrous avalanche.

Endurance: 26/39.

The bitter shock of Hulsta’s sudden demise hits you like a warhammer in the chest. For several minutes you kneel and stare at his lifeless hand as you struggle to overcome your feelings of grief and remorse. When at last you feel able to continue, you stand up and salute your fallen companion. Then you say a short prayer to the Goddess Ishir to watch over his soul, and you vow to complete your mission in his honour. The swift and successful destruction of the runes will be the best way to ensure that his ultimate sacrifice will never be forgotten.

With grim resolve you leave the rockfall and follow the tunnel away to the east, but you have covered little more than 100 yards when you come to a dead end. You recall what Hulsta had said earlier, and when you examine the wall closely you discover a secret panel. At waist level a raised lever protrudes from the left wall, but when you attempt to pull it down you find that its ancient mechanism has jammed.
Shall we use Elementalism, Grand Nexus, or neither?

kw0134
Apr 19, 2003

I buy feet pics🍆

Halfway through the post I started wondering how Devers would remove Hulsta from the narrative and well, there we go. Rocks fall down, extraneous NPCs die. The deadliest place in the whole Magnamund is standing next to a Kai.

Elementalism

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Believe in Nexus.

Kangra
May 7, 2012

Use our Kai ability of Mind over Matter Nexus.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
We just got Grand Nexus, right? Let’s use it.

And this is one of those times where having our guide go back home to his wife would have been just fine with me. :sigh:

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

quote:

”I shall stay in the tunnel and await your return because if I go with you I shall surely fall victim to your death aura.” “Good idea but you’re too late my friend” you reply as you watch falling rocks and debris crush his body.

Kangra posted:

Use our Kai ability of Mind over Matter Nexus.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Lone Wolf picked any number of locks using [Grand] Nexus. Let's see how Elementalism fucks this one up.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
What a wholly unsurprising death.

Let's see how Elementalism manages to be useless this time!

Guy Fawkes
Aug 1, 2014

Lvl 62, +5 meadow defense
Another one bites the dust

:(

It seems that Braveheart has learned also Lone Wolf's ability to bring death and misfortune towards companions.

By the way Elementalism.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Guy Fawkes posted:

Another one bites the dust

:(

It seems that Braveheart has learned also Lone Wolf's ability to bring death and misfortune towards companions.

By the way Elementalism.

Yeah, let's see what that does.

Also gently caress you Dever, why couldn't Hulsta just stay safe in the passage like he wanted?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Runcible Cat posted:

Yeah, let's see what that does.

Also gently caress you Dever, why couldn't Hulsta just stay safe in the passage like he wanted?

We gotta get that emotional impact from watching the death of our dear friend that we met like four hours ago. Now it's personal.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Mikl posted:

Believe in Nexus.

Rune War posted:

You call upon your Discipline of Grand Nexus and use its power to dislodge the dirt and grime of centuries which clogs the panel’s locking mechanism. Clouds of dust billow out from its slot and, when you pull the lever a second time, you discover that your effort has been rewarded.

The panel creaks open to reveal a darkened vault. Cautiously you enter this gloomy chamber and your keen hearing detects a myriad distant sounds. You can discern the tramp of booted feet, the exchange of terse commands, the jangle of keys, and the squeak and clang of iron doors. They are the unmistakable sounds of a prison.

As you delve deeper into the vault you discover that it is littered with pieces of old furniture and ancient artefacts which are strewn in great heaps upon the damp floor. When you look around for an exit from this unwholesome chamber, you see that there is only one door. It is set into the far wall, beyond a twin colonnade of granite pillars.
Shall we search this room or try the door?

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Search room for loot!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Never Be Not Lootin'.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Hell yeah check it out. Maybe we'll find a Chair Leg +10 vs Vorka.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mikl posted:

Never Be Not Lootin'.

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
:goloot:

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Mikl posted:

Never Be Not Lootin'.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Rune War posted:

There is little that is stored here that has escaped the ravages of time, vermin, or damp. After a lengthy search you discover only four items that are intact and serviceable:
  • Bowl
  • Mirror
  • Pitcher
  • Flute
All of the above are Backpack Items. (If you decide to keep any of these items, alter your Action Chart accordingly.)

Satisfied that you have not overlooked anything of great value, you abandon your search and turn your attention instead to the door of this vault.

You discover that the door to the vault is unlocked, and so you pull it open and enter a dark corridor which ends at a stone staircase. Torchlight pours down the steps from the level above and, as you move closer, you hear the echoing sound of footsteps. Carefully you ascend the stairs until you are able to peer over the top step. Ahead you can see another corridor, but this one is illuminated by a line of burning torches set into brackets on either side of a dozen prison cell doors. At the far end there is another flight of ascending steps, and at its base there stands an Eldenoran gaoler armed with a sword. You watch this gaoler and consider the best way you can lure him away from the stairs, for he is blocking your only known route to the surface.
  1. Do we take any of the items? If so, we'll need to make room in our backpack.
  2. Shall we use Mind Charm on the gaoler or Invisibility?

Endurance Points: 26/39
    Backpack:
  1. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  2. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  3. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  4. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  5. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  6. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  7. Potion of Laumspur (+4 EP)
  8. Potion of Alether (+2 CS)
  9. Kai Clothes (1/2)
  10. Kai Clothes (2/2)
Kai Clothes cannot be dropped.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
Mind Charm is the higher-tier skill here. Maybe we can convince the guy to take a nap.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Drink a Laumspur and use Mind Charm.

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

Mikl posted:

:psyduck:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Mikl posted:

Drink a Laumspur and use Mind Charm, and take the Pitcher

I mean, what if there's a choice later in the book where we need to pour drinks?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

I mean, what if there's a choice later in the book where we need to pour drinks?

Perhaps more importantly, it's worth carrying sacrificial items in case we get shot in the back again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014

Mikl posted:

Take the Pitcher too.