Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

chin up everything sucks posted:

A train at least gives you a chance to relax and do other poo poo like read a book or enjoy coffee. I used to do an hour each way by train, and it wasn't too bad. An hour DRIVING each way sucked rear end.

Oh yeah I'd quit/move/change jobs if I had to drive an hour, gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer
powershell talk: I even sent my IBM Power Series admin who rarely has to any kind of administration task in windows to a week long powershell class because of the value from text file manipulation. Other than him, I have sent 3 admins and 2 help desk employees to a week long powershell class because it is such a force multiplier.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Most days I wouldn't care. Whatever I was doing in those two hours could be done on the train.

However, there are other days where I would just completely miss out on doing things with friends and family unless I was able to adjust my work schedule early enough to compensate.

But I'm also not a morning person so gently caress that.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

adorai posted:

powershell talk: I even sent my IBM Power Series admin who rarely has to any kind of administration task in windows to a week long powershell class because of the value from text file manipulation. Other than him, I have sent 3 admins and 2 help desk employees to a week long powershell class because it is such a force multiplier.

My work loves to send us to 2-3 out of office trainings a year and I think I'm going to put in for something like that. Maybe I'll just take a week off to do Powershell in a Month of Lunches.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Sepist posted:

It's a network engineering role at one of the biggest finance companies in the world

240k a year for network engineering? You guys hiring for any other roles?

AnonymousNarcotics
Aug 6, 2012

we will go far into the sea
you will take me
onto your back
never look back
never look back

Inspector_666 posted:

If I recall correctly, this rail commute would involve the LIRR which isn't always the relaxing experience you may think it is.

The LIRR isn't bad. Not that I would want a 2 hour commute. IMO the worst part of a long commute is waking up early.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Is Office 365 availability (Exchange Online) getting significantly worse, or am I imagining it?

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Thanks Ants posted:

Is Office 365 availability (Exchange Online) getting significantly worse, or am I imagining it?

Probably because we're approaching the holidays. You have to cram as many changes in as you can before the freezes. /s

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
My train commute owns because of the Nintendo Switch!

Driving to work sucks rear end in Boston

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

As a single male with no kids or long term relationship I would have no issue with two hour commute on a train for $240,000 a year. That's an obscene amount of money.

If you have a family that you want to keep, declining that commute is absolutely the right thing to do.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

If you have a family that you want to keep, declining that commute is absolutely the right thing to do.
Or just move.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

In my experience, the pay is the main redeeming feature of the financial industry. Everything else about it, particularly the culture, is hot stinking garbage.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

SamDabbers posted:

In my experience, the pay is the main redeeming feature of the financial industry. Everything else about it, particularly the culture, is hot stinking garbage.
Eh, like any other industry, company culture varies. I work in a mid sized bank and our culture is pretty awesome. No one is held accountable for their mistakes, but most people are good enough that they hold themselves accountable and rarely make them anyway. It's laid back in general, outside of a few type A assholes.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
I wouldn't want to deal with the stress doing whatever is worth 360k.

140k is plenty. You'd start running some serious diminishing returns with income tax past that anyway.

e; just looked at NY's personal income tax rates.

$215,400.00+
6.85%

lol

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

e; just looked at NY's personal income tax rates.

$215,400.00+
6.85%

lol
How about Illinois?

$3k/year
5%

lol.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Sepist posted:

It's a network engineering role at one of the biggest finance companies in the world

What kind of role? Security? Be the guy who keeps organized crime and rogue states out?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

240k? gently caress, bank 1/4, be out of debt within a year from 1/4, do whatever the gently caress I want with 120k a year, I’d take a 2 hour round trip train for that no question. For a couple years at least.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

adorai posted:

How about Illinois?

$3k/year
5%

lol.

quote:

The Illinois Income Tax rate for individuals has increased from 3.75 percent (.0375) to 4.95 percent (.0495), effective July 1, 2017.

The Illinois income tax rate. As in, theres only 1?

lol

quote:

Alberta
10% on the first $128,145 of taxable income, +
12% on the next $25,628, +
13% on the next $51,258, +
14% on the next $102,516, +
15% on the amount over $307,547

e;

quote:

Seven U.S. states forgo individual income taxes as of 2018: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

What the gently caress

Methanar fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Nov 29, 2018

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It just seems like a company willing to make a nearly quarter of a million bucks a year salary offer should also be willing to make certain other concessions and bonuses to help such an employee hammer out a move to somewhere with a suitable commute for them, and some manner of satellite office/work from home stuff in the meantime.

Rather than have it be a case where the potential employee flatly turns it down.

adorai
Nov 2, 2002

10/27/04 Never forget
Grimey Drawer

Methanar posted:

The Illinois income tax rate. As in, theres only 1?

lol

Yes. It starts at $2500/year or something, and is simply 4.95%, regardless of your income. To top that off, we have some of the highest property and sales taxes in the nation as well.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
QC35s help on the LIRR big time but 2 hours means you're way out east and that's got to be total hell.

I'm spoiled, I only go one stop from Penn and it's glorious.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

The LIRR isn't bad. Not that I would want a 2 hour commute. IMO the worst part of a long commute is waking up early.

Riding the LIRR isn't bad. If I had to go through Penn every morning I would kill myself within a week.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Same, except living in NY in general.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Same, except living in NY in general.

Actually NYC owns and everybody who doesn't live here is a goddamn hillbilly. :colbert:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

You know DAF would take that job, so basically just always do the opposite of whatever DAF would do.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Inspector_666 posted:

Actually NYC owns and everybody who doesn't live here is a goddamn hillbilly. :colbert:

I’m okay with that.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

You know DAF would take that job, so basically just always do the opposite of whatever DAF would do.

This is a good point.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Accretionist posted:

What kind of role? Security? Be the guy who keeps organized crime and rogue states out?

Nope, just a high level network engineer role. Not even architect or design, they are different teams. The technical term for the role is "platform engineer", which means we need to know everything about the hardware we support - ASICs, the path a packet takes from ingress - to backplane - to egress, minor details about the different software versions and features we support. It is a tough job but he could do it.

Commuting into Penn isnt too bad but I think you have to have the right frame of mind to do it constantly. I know to check LIRR status before I go to Penn. If it's a poo poo show I go down to Atlantic terminal. My house is in a town with a 3 stop express to and from Penn so my train is never awful unless it switches to local which happens a few times a month

Edit: theres also some confusion here. His commute would be an hour-ish each way. And my boss is pretty easy going. I usually work 7 hours a day and work from home once a week.

Sepist fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Nov 29, 2018

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful

quote:

Seven U.S. states forgo individual income taxes as of 2018: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, South Dakota, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

Methanar posted:

What the gently caress

Most of those states have another industry that pays a significant amount of tax to the state to make it so they don't need Income tax. I lived in Nevada, even though gaming tax revenue is down, it's still enough to keep the state running without an income tax. Alaska, people are actually paid by the federal government just to live there, and with Big Oil they don't really have a need for state income tax I guess.

As for the job and adding an hour commute to each side of the day. I did that once but not for money, for a chance to not be bored out of my mind every day, and thankfully both the job location, and I moved closer together after about 4 months.
I only took that job because I liked the opportunities it gave me from a "what will I be doing" perspective, and actually took a small pay cut to do so (all of which I got back and then some in about a year of being there). Maybe the guy just looked at what he would be doing and decided that it wasn't for him, Its not like he's making chump change now. You could offer me a 100k bump in pay and I definitely wouldn't take it if I would be doing less (or less interesting) stuff than I am now.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Inspector_666 posted:

Riding the LIRR isn't bad. If I had to go through Penn every morning I would kill myself within a week.
I spent a year doing the commute from the Patchogue/Speonk/Montauk line into Penn, and nothing about it was bad. I'd roll into the office at 9:00 and I'd leave at 4:45 to catch the 5:08 express home. The one bad day was when lightning destroyed the whole track switching system at Jamaica and no trains were running in or out of the East River tunnels for an entire day. They had the National Guard brought in to keep more people from coming into Penn, and while all these clueless commuters were milling around buhh-buhh-buhhing at problem until 2 AM I hopped an E train to Sutphin Blvd./Archer Ave. and just got on the LIRR home.

I've got a high tolerance for commuter bullshit, though. One day I was taking a Friday afternoon train home because literally only one other person showed up in the Time Inc. office. I was on a double-decker train home with this exhausted mother and her two kids, maybe 6 and 3. The 6-year-old found a circuit going across the top deck, down the stairs, back the other way across the bottom deck, and back up the stairs to where her mom was. She did this circuit 20 or 30 times, just yelling the entire way, at the top of her lungs while her mortified mom tried not to attract any attention to herself. Stuff like that somehow never drags down my mood.

gently caress the Ronkonkoma line though, it's buses half the time east of Bethpage

Vulture Culture fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Nov 29, 2018

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Sepist posted:

Edit: theres also some confusion here. His commute would be an hour-ish each way. And my boss is pretty easy going. I usually work 7 hours a day and work from home once a week.

He's a loving dumbass and you should literally slap him.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

TheFace posted:

Most of those states have another industry that pays a significant amount of tax to the state to make it so they don't need Income tax. I lived in Nevada, even though gaming tax revenue is down, it's still enough to keep the state running without an income tax. Alaska, people are actually paid by the federal government just to live there, and with Big Oil they don't really have a need for state income tax I guess.

Except we've had state budget deficits for the last 8 years, and the savings is almost depleted, and it's been impossible to fix since any kind of tax is political suicide.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

adorai posted:

Yes. It starts at $2500/year or something, and is simply 4.95%, regardless of your income. To top that off, we have some of the highest property and sales taxes in the nation as well.

leaving that shithole dumpster fire was the best thing I've done. What a hellhole.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

adorai posted:

Ah yes, the whole "we'll just tax consumption!" line.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Vargatron posted:

Ah yes, the whole "we'll just tax consumption!" line.

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoy the huge taxes on things like food. gently caress me for needing to eat I guess.

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

There is more to the decision than the commute. He knew what the commute was before the interview. As a friend I would get some more feedback, maybe there is something you can do for future candidates.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Vulture Culture posted:

gently caress the Ronkonkoma line though, it's buses half the time east of Bethpage

I have to take the Ronkonkoma line to visit my parents these days and on the weekend the buses are almost nice, you get an express ride on a pretty-much empty bus direct from Hicksville to The Konk.

But oh my God having to deal with a full bus and LIE traffic? :laffo:

My current biggest gripe with the LIRR is how terrible the scheduling is for the Greenport branch.

TheFace
Oct 4, 2004

Fuck anyone that doesn't wanna be this beautiful
All this commute talk is making me really appreciate my 100% remote job.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

PBS posted:

Yeah, I thoroughly enjoy the huge taxes on things like food. gently caress me for needing to eat I guess.

Not to get *political* or anything, a tax structure like this shifts the burden onto those who earn the least in a given district.

Comedy option: too bad you were born poor right!??!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DelphiAegis
Jun 21, 2010

TheFace posted:

All this commute talk is making me really appreciate my 100% remote job.

:same:

My company moving to accept 100% remote workers significantly increased our pool of candidates which was great.

But it also forced our hr to finally figure out those pesky "local" tax withholding. Apparently in previous years there was no local withholding...