Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
NPR is cancer and capital public radio which is the local isn't much better. But they dont have night programming and just rebroadcast BBC world service which is usually 1000x more interesting than whatever business apologia was being played in the morning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Abongination
Aug 18, 2010

Life, it's the shit that happens while you're waiting for moments that never come.
Pillbug
I was hired by a poor man for the best job I ever had. A cafe/arcade that was never run with profit in mind. The place was genuine and people could tell.

The focus was on charity and inclusiveness and the guy that ran the place had a big list of personal rules in the back that included things like "give, don't take".

We never made a lot of money but we got by and the place was a second home to a ton of people, especially younger socially isolated kids.

Eventually the shopping centre we were in forced us out of our 10 year lease illegally, literally changed the locks overnight so they could give the space to a newsagent while they were doing some refurbs. The centre was owned by a multimillion dollar buying group and we were broke and couldn't afford to fight it in court.

Had a crowd of folks crying when we went under and it was hard to deal with.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Abongination posted:

I was hired by a poor man for the best job I ever had. A cafe/arcade that was never run with profit in mind. The place was genuine and people could tell.

The focus was on charity and inclusiveness and the guy that ran the place had a big list of personal rules in the back that included things like "give, don't take".

We never made a lot of money but we got by and the place was a second home to a ton of people, especially younger socially isolated kids.

Eventually the shopping centre we were in forced us out of our 10 year lease illegally, literally changed the locks overnight so they could give the space to a newsagent while they were doing some refurbs. The centre was owned by a multimillion dollar buying group and we were broke and couldn't afford to fight it in court.

Had a crowd of folks crying when we went under and it was hard to deal with.

Be a shame is a bunch of bored kids with nothing to do burnt it to the ground on their grand reopening day.

Peanut Butler
Jul 25, 2003

Shame Boy posted:

I mean I have legit ADD (diagnosed separately by both a very skilled psychologist and a psychiatrist that I trust the opinions of, without me even thinking I had it first) and I loving wish the meds for it were at all easy to get.

gently caress but this is a hell of a thing, yeah- having ADD/ADHD as an adult can be hell, and it just gets worse every few years when untreated. I don't have health insurance and have been unable to afford meds since my governor blocked ACA Medicare expansion; I currently see a very very good and compassionate therapist who cuts me a per-session cash deal, so that's nice, that I can do some talk therapy treatment. But the medication turns living under capitalism from a confusing and enervating struggle to just a normal kinda lovely struggle.

But getting a med consult as a poor is difficult because:
- my therapists referral refuses to believe I have saved up the cash for a consult and prescription, and I have to harry them for an appointment because they think I won't pay, and they never call back, etc
- The sliding scale clinic is a catch-22 where if I go in as put-together as I can, they think I am faking it to get Fun Drugs, but it I go in all ADHD disheveled where I forgot to do a third of my hygiene stuff, they think I'm faking it to get Fun Drugs. Either way they push SSRIs hard, which for me is like treating a runny nose with a couple of lil corks
- my childhood doctor needs business hard and will write me a script for whatever, but he's about 90 minutes away and, while he cuts me a small cash rate deal, between the gas and the payment (not to mention the 4 hours of my time) it costs more than going to the first place out of pocket
- if it were drat near any other brain problem I had, I could work my way through it, but executive dysfunction is a hell of a thing that takes a lot of sideways thinking and self-tricks and is just generally slower

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Its pretty hosed up you feel you have to be super defensive about saying you have a mental health issue, with a "no no, really I really do, I'm not just a faker". This isn't a knock on you, just the state of mental health care in our world, where you have to puff up the legitimacy of your bipolar, autism, ADD, etc diagnosis to not seem like one of those people.

I'm very used to getting the "lol that's imaginary" response, particularly from far-left types on these very forums who have told me stuff like "oh so because you don't ~conform to capitalism's idea of productivity~ you need to take mind-altering drugs huh, maybe you shouldn't listen to what capitalism tells you is normal and just be yourself :smug:" like yeah ok buddy but did you miss the part where it was also loving up things that are not my job?

Thanks for not being lovely to me so far thread :shobon:

pushpins posted:

No this was a few months ago. He's getting speech therapy through his school now. Funny enough my wife got a new job that offered my old insurance so I'm back on it under her name.

Ah good to hear stuff's at least sorta working out for y'all, good luck with the whole "raising a family in hell year 2018" thing.

... That sounds sarcastic, I legitimately mean it, good luck.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

More on topic for this thread: My coworker had his card double-charged for something, so he's called the store's support line and been put on hold (which he has on speakerphone of course because he's a dick). However instead of hold music it's playing CONSTANT, CEASELESS ADVERTISEMENTS, mostly for the store's sales but I also heard some product ads sneak in there.

Like guys maybe think this through, people who call your customer support have a problem and are generally mad at you, you want your poo poo associated with that?

e: He also keeps picking up the phone thinking the person has gotten on the line because the ads change voices every time so for a second it sounds like someone picked up the phone, I assume this is by design.

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer

Shame Boy posted:

More on topic for this thread: My coworker had his card double-charged for something, so he's called the store's support line and been put on hold (which he has on speakerphone of course because he's a dick). However instead of hold music it's playing CONSTANT, CEASELESS ADVERTISEMENTS, mostly for the store's sales but I also heard some product ads sneak in there.

Like guys maybe think this through, people who call your customer support have a problem and are generally mad at you, you want your poo poo associated with that?

e: He also keeps picking up the phone thinking the person has gotten on the line because the ads change voices every time so for a second it sounds like someone picked up the phone, I assume this is by design.

i'd just dispute the charge with the card provider. gently caress calling a retail store lol they're so understaffed.

fart store
Jul 6, 2018

probably nobody knows
im the fattest man
maybe nobody even
people have told me
and its not me saying this
my gut
my ass
its huge
my whole body
and i have been told
did you know this
not many know this
im gonna let you in on this
some say
[inhale loudly]
im the hugest one.
many people dont know that
xpost from reddit thread

Smirking_Serpent posted:

Work Punishments Include Drinking Soap and Other Abuse

My girlfriend works at a retail store in California. They are supposed to ask customers if they want to buy a particular item and there is a punishment board for not doing so. The employee is allowed to choose their punishment from a punishment board.

The punishments are either very hard and often demeaning work or obviously illegal punishments. The hard work is things like cleaning toilets or moving heavy objects. Other punishments include doing pushups, coworkers being allowed to hit you with a stick, drinking soap, eating dog food, and sucking on undesirable objects that are not meant for human consumption.

Is this illegal? They could argue these obviously illegal punishments are not mandatory, but there is an incentive to do them because the other punishments are so difficult.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fart store posted:

xpost from reddit thread

50 Shades of Pay

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I wish people would start name and shaming these places.

Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

COMRADES posted:

amazing how ubiquitous the cultural of legal-procedural intentional vagueness or silence has become on the internet, especially among people who appear to have literally no knowledge of employment law beyond “they’ll fire me for using names”

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I think this belongs here:

https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/status/1068136393237557254

Scary!
Oct 22, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

He has a point, I think that’s a good idea

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Frog Act posted:

amazing how ubiquitous the cultural of legal-procedural intentional vagueness or silence has become on the internet, especially among people who appear to have literally no knowledge of employment law beyond “they’ll fire me for using names”

They won't fire you for using names, they'll fire you for a totally unrelated reason that has absolutely nothing to do with anything but we just decided it was a problem right now coincidentally.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Scary! posted:

He has a point, I think that’s a good idea

They always get so close to realizing

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

The Bloop posted:

They always get so close to realizing

it's not even close to realizing, it's that they think something like "poor people SHOULDN'T die in the streets???" is a loony position to take

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Plank Walker posted:

it's not even close to realizing, it's that they think something like "poor people SHOULDN'T die in the streets???" is a loony position to take

yeah zero-sum FYGM

Conservatism is a selfish death cult full stop

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Buddy you have to work hard for your food!

Just like me, just ask my coworkers how hard I work at my dad's firm

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Plank Walker posted:

Nah knowing the conservative base he's pandering to it's more like "liberals want to just give everyone free food because they're immoral lazy people who don't believe in good ol' American hard work!!!"

With a healthy dose of implied "if everyone gets food stamps then those people get food stamps too!"

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
We can't just give people food. Everyone needs to earn their keep. Ignore that there is literally more than enough for everyone and we throw out a huge amount of food

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Bloop posted:

yeah zero-sum FYGM

Conservatism is a selfish death cult full stop

Eh I really don't think he's aiming for the "people should just die in the streets and anything else is ridiculous!" angle here because most of the conservatives he's preaching to won't go quite that far (at least publicly), but they also assume that welfare is trivially easy to get so anyone who needs it can get it easily, and the only reason why someone wouldn't have it is because they're lazy or dumb, and also since it's so easy most of the people on it don't need or deserve it and only ever use it to buy cigarettes and $10 steaks

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
food stamps arent enough for a month anyway, especially will all the fine print exceptions

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

food stamps arent enough for a month anyway, especially will all the fine print exceptions

BUt, but I saw a black lady with 6 kids buying a shopping cart full of chips with her food stamps in front of me in line at the grocery store yesterday! We need more restrictions!

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
Explaining how welfare in the us works to conservatives is always fun. They imagine it is way easier than it actually is. My dad was one of those "welfare should require you to find a job" people until he tried to apply for benefits. The application alone takes hours and requires huge amounts of documents and paperwork. It's always fun to try and get paperwork from your boss and landlord without letting them know what it's for.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shame Boy posted:

I'm very used to getting the "lol that's imaginary" response

this is extremely common because people really seem to have this need to be able to point to an actual concrete organic mechanism for any kinda psychological issue or else it's "not real"

we literally don't know how depression works, like the physical mechanisms of it. plenty of theories, but they just keep getting disproven

but if you ask someone on the street they might tell you that you don't have enough serotonin, like it's a vitamin deficiency. plenty of people think a doctor in a lab can do a blood draw or an MRI and go "yep i can see right here this person has depression" it's complete nonsense

really feels like a problem that's been bred into peoples' thinking by consumer culture; if this problem is "all just in my head" how am i supposed to go acquire something that fixes it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Captain Billy Pissboy posted:

They imagine it is way easier than it actually is.

Yeah that seems to be a theme with them, like the same thing happens with immigration. It's just so weird to me that people seem to form an opinion on something (and then get so adamant and vocal about it) without actually like, spending 30 seconds to look it up.

I mean I know it's just their lil' inner racist trying to find a rational-sounding reason that's not "brown people scare me" but still.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

this is extremely common because people really seem to have this need to be able to point to an actual concrete organic mechanism for any kinda psychological issue or else it's "not real"

we literally don't know how depression works, like the physical mechanisms of it. plenty of theories, but they just keep getting disproven

but if you ask someone on the street they might tell you that you don't have enough serotonin, like it's a vitamin deficiency. plenty of people think a doctor in a lab can do a blood draw or an MRI and go "yep i can see right here this person has depression" it's complete nonsense

really feels like a problem that's been bred into peoples' thinking by consumer culture; if this problem is "all just in my head" how am i supposed to go acquire something that fixes it

Yeah a psychologist friend of mine told me a while ago that the drug companies pushed that "depression is caused by an imbalance in serotonin" line long after science had pretty much disproven it specifically for that reason, because people need some sort of easily digestible concrete mechanical explanation for both the problem and the treatment to seem "real"

e: See also all the people who only (begrudgingly) accepted gays as ok because they're "born that way". In order for a gay person to be real and valid they had to have some concrete mechanical thing to point to that flips the "love cocks" switch either on or off

Shame Boy has issued a correction as of 19:07 on Nov 29, 2018

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Shame Boy posted:

Yeah that seems to be a theme with them, like the same thing happens with immigration. It's just so weird to me that people seem to form an opinion on something (and then get so adamant and vocal about it) without actually like, spending 30 seconds to look it up.

I mean I know it's just their lil' inner racist trying to find a rational-sounding reason that's not "brown people scare me" but still.

Those same people tend to go on about "what about this (insert random white guy) who was killed in 1992 by a blacm man?" whenever the police kill an unarmed black man

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

fart store posted:

xpost from reddit thread

Undercover Boss had an episode where a Hooters manager made the women have a bean eating contest to determine who gets the best shifts

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
farting all over my customers to get the most tips

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

pushpins posted:

Undercover Boss had an episode where a Hooters manager made the women have a bean eating contest to determine who gets the best shifts

How did he argue for this not being a fulfillment of a fetish of his?

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

SpacePig posted:

How did he argue for this not being a fulfillment of a fetish of his?

as a hooters patron, the number of wings i order is highly correlated with how many beans my waitress can consume in a short period of time

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pushpins posted:

Matt and Elizabeth Bruenig did a podcast on how Undercover Boss is the greatest anti-capitalist TV show and they cover this pretty well.

http://podbay.fm/show/1393726435/e/1532059381?autostart=1

They argue that that manager understands Hooters better than the higher-ups who fired him after this came out because he gets that the whole loving corporation is rotten and built around humiliating its employees.

Edit: actual discussion of it starts at about 18:30

PostNouveau has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Nov 29, 2018

pushpins
Sep 11, 2006

Title text (optional; no images are allowed, only text)

PostNouveau posted:

Matt and Elizabeth Bruenig did a podcast on how Undercover Boss is the greatest anti-capitalist TV show and they cover this pretty well.

http://podbay.fm/show/1393726435/e/1532059381?autostart=1

They argue that that manager understands Hooters better than the higher-ups who fired him after this came out because he gets that the whole loving corporation is rotten and built around humiliating its employees.

Edit: actual discussion of it starts at about 18:30

Thanks for the link. I hate Undercover Boss more then anything else in entire world. Do they mention that guy who got fired runs a Tilted Kilt now?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

pushpins posted:

Thanks for the link. I hate Undercover Boss more then anything else in entire world. Do they mention that guy who got fired runs a Tilted Kilt now?

Lol no I didn't realize that

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Can't believe Pop Tarts are Nazis now smh

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1068220572470075394

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

That's Lol. gently caress influencers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

COMRADES posted:

'no naming and shaming' and 'no suggestions to go to local media' are literally rules there, the place is terminally lib in its insistence on solving every problem through ~a private meeting of equals~ in ~are fair and accessible legal system~