Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Pinterest Mom posted:

https://twitter.com/ColinDMello/status/1068119581422747648

I’m legit proud of her, she’s gone through a really rough couple weeks and handled it with a lot of grace.

She voluntarily chose to run for election under the banner of Doug Ford.

It's cool she figured out he was an rear end in a top hat after some people she actually cared about were impacted by his behavior though, how gallant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

she may have been for the complete dismantling of support services for at risk communities, rolling back labour rights and just straight up bullying trans people, but her commitment to civility and making sure some off-brand white people can read the back of a cereal box in french is truly heroic.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Well yes it would be nicer if people weren't conservatives (it would also be nice if anglos didn't dismiss language rights as cereal box bullshit), but this is my community whose rights are being rolled back, someone choosing to represent their constituents over partisanship is genuinely a hard thing (girl would have been set for life in corporate Toronto if she'd been a good soldier, shut up, and lost her seat in four years), and I'm having trouble seeing Amanda as a monster because I went to school w her for over a decade :shrug:.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

not really sure 'my tribe uber alles' is the path you really wanna go down... but you're on your tiny pony already, so happy trails, I suppose.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well yes it would be nicer if people weren't conservatives (it would also be nice if anglos didn't dismiss language rights as cereal box bullshit), but this is my community whose rights are being rolled back, someone choosing to represent their constituents over partisanship is genuinely a hard thing (girl would have been set for life in corporate Toronto if she'd been a good soldier, shut up, and lost her seat in four years), and I'm having trouble seeing Amanda as a monster because I went to school w her for over a decade :shrug:.

Taking a principled stand and resigning from the caucus is good, and it speaks to her commitment to her constituents.

The fact that she thought francophones in Ontario weren't one of the minorities that would get hosed over by the PC platform, on the other hand, raises some questions about her judgement. Like, in this instance she's somewhat less sympathetic than that UBI recipient who voted PC and then had a tearful interview with the CBC after it was cancelled.

jfood posted:

but you're on your tiny pony already, so happy trails

lmao

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Nov 29, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

She ran under the banner of climate change denialism in 2018 but I guess the massive damage that does to people pales in significance compared to her boldly standing up for language rights.

Also this whole "oh she is so bold to defy her party" is kind of undermined when just last week you were saying that her leaving the PCs would guarantee her reelection. But yes let's praise her for her incredibly tough new job as an independent MPP in the legislature who supports fiscally conservative policies. She might be supporting cutting welfare and rolling back worker protections but she took a tough stand when she chose the path of easy reelection and we should all praise her now.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

hot take: it's possible to like a thing a person did, and also dislike other things that they did

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

She is still going to vote with the party on everything they do so its not like this is anything more than a big ole publicity stunt to try and secure her seat post-Ford.

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

jfood posted:

she may have been for the complete dismantling of support services for at risk communities, rolling back labour rights and just straight up bullying trans people, but her commitment to civility and making sure some off-brand white people can read the back of a cereal box in french is truly heroic.

I wish I could channel my bile this effectively. :tipshat:

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Conservatives are bad people for what they believe and what they do to others, whether or not they were nice to you in school doesn't really matter

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

gently caress the "gently caress you, got mine" party, but only after they give me mine.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
https://briarpatchmagazine.com/blog/view/all-the-ways-that-canadian-journalists-serve-the-ruling-class

This list is good but incomplete I suspect

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So the poo poo appears to be hitting the fan in BC over the stay of charges in the RCMP's e-Pirate investigation of one operation singlehandedly laundering 500m/year, where the trial was scheduled for January.

Will be interesting when the reason for the stay gets leaked. (Come on, "RCMP officer sleeps with crucial CI" again!)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
So, for those of you who don't know much about Métis issues, well, uh, poo poo's going down. The National Council is considering supsending or even revoking the charter of the Métis nation of Ontario. As well, there is them declaring a Métis homeland map....Which covers alot of territory of other FN, so alot of Blackfoot members are pissed off.

https://twitter.com/DennisWardNews/status/1068197403063476225

https://twitter.com/Terrilltf/status/1068137417368977408

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

gently caress the "gently caress you, got mine" party, but only after they give me mine.

You have to admire the hubris of being a representative of a visible minority population, aligning yourself with a group that consistently works to kill support for visible minorities, and then being shocked that they did in fact kill government support for your particular minority group.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

infernal machines posted:

You have to admire the hubris of being a representative of a visible minority population

Linguistic minority?

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

You have to admire the hubris of being a representative of a visible minority population, aligning yourself with a group that consistently works to kill support for visible minorities, and then being shocked that they did in fact kill government support for your particular minority group.

Face-eating leopard etc.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Linguistic minority?

Francophones in Ontario. I'd say it counts. I mean, if we accept that Quebec is a nation within a nation, for reasons entirely based on their language and culture around it.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 29, 2018

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

bunnyofdoom posted:

So, for those of you who don't know much about Métis issues, well, uh, poo poo's going down. The National Council is considering supsending or even revoking the charter of the Métis nation of Ontario. As well, there is them declaring a Métis homeland map....Which covers alot of territory of other FN, so alot of Blackfoot members are pissed off.

https://twitter.com/DennisWardNews/status/1068197403063476225

https://twitter.com/Terrilltf/status/1068137417368977408

I don’t know a lot about FN issues - what would be the actual ramifications of declaring this territory? Would there be any practical effect or is it just a symbolic thing?

Like I can understand why other FN groups would be pissed even if it is purely symbolic, I’m just curious if there’s also any kind of legal consequences to claiming the land.

EvidenceBasedQuack
Aug 15, 2015

A rock has no detectable opinion about gravity
Vous comprenez pas. Ford avait l'air tellement sincère quand il a promis d'apprendre le français.

e: I have never met Amanda Simard so I trust Pinterest Mom's opinion. It's hard to not see her as an opportunist though. All the signs were there that Franco-Ontarians would not get any sympathy from the Conservatives.

EvidenceBasedQuack fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Nov 29, 2018

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

EvidenceBasedQuack posted:

e: I have never met Amanda Simard so I trust Pinterest Mom's opinion. It's hard to not see her as an opportunist though. All the signs were there that Franco-Ontarians would not get any sympathy from the Conservatives.

Such a Hero

https://twitter.com/680NEWS/status/1068162775678111750

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
You can't resign, you're fired! :smugdon:

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-privatization-forest-fire-service-1.4925541

Our provincial forest firefighting service just got privatized. Just in time for climate change to start burning down more of our poo poo.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Definitely a sign of a strong cohesive party.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Definitely a sign of a strong cohesive party.

Gotta break some eggs to make a fritatta

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

Coxswain Balls posted:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-privatization-forest-fire-service-1.4925541

Our provincial forest firefighting service just got privatized. Just in time for climate change to start burning down more of our poo poo.

Privatize, privatize, privatize. Air ambulances are next.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Privatization of firefighting services is completely insane. I mean the old horror stories of firefighters letting people’s houses burn down because they hadn’t paid their subscriptions are one of the reasons why we made those services public in the first place :psyduck:

I know this is forest firefighters, but that makes even less sense. Who is going to be hiring them?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Presumably the province

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Gotta break some eggs to make a fritatta

Also to make a big loving mess all over the kitchen

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Privatization of firefighting services is completely insane. I mean the old horror stories of firefighters letting people’s houses burn down because they hadn’t paid their subscriptions are one of the reasons why we made those services public in the first place :psyduck:

I know this is forest firefighters, but that makes even less sense. Who is going to be hiring them?

No one hires them, they just get money from the Manitoba government to run the water bombers and suppress wildfires when needed instead of the government just running their own people to do it.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don’t know a lot about FN issues - what would be the actual ramifications of declaring this territory? Would there be any practical effect or is it just a symbolic thing?

Like I can understand why other FN groups would be pissed even if it is purely symbolic, I’m just curious if there’s also any kind of legal consequences to claiming the land.

https://twitter.com/Terrilltf/status/1068143243584393217

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Is this like a "sacred serbian clay" or "greater macedonia" thing where a culture makes the biggest most insane geographical claims based on the thinnest of historical evidence?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Metis just French settlers mixing with native tribes? I don't really see how they'd have their own homeland, but rather belong to many different homelands. I can absolutely understand them having their own identity, but homeland/ancestor wise they would be coming from many different tribes

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It could always be worse

https://twitter.com/cacorrections/status/1024439641221419008?s=21

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

Don't give Pallister any ideas

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

That's exactly where my mind went first too.

Now. What ethnic group is over-represented in Manitoba prisons?

Hexigrammus
May 22, 2006

Cheech Wizard stories are clean, wholesome, reflective truths that go great with the marijuana munchies and a blow job.

Gotta get up early if you're going to beat today's go-getter on-the-move authoritarians.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I don't know either, but Metis status is recognized by the federal government so I would imagine this could make land claim negotiations even messier than they currently are. The last time I paid any attention 110% of B.C. was under traditional land claims. The Heiltsuk are annoyed that the Kitasoo's ancestors paddled south 150 years ago and parked themselves on the edge of what the Heiltsuk consider their hunting and fishing grounds. Can't imagine what those scenarios would be like with a Metis claim painted over top of everything.

Coxswain Balls posted:

Holy crap. The 1% really have to have their rent, don't they?

There's a story that Kanye West and whatever Kardassian he's hooked up with hired a private firefighting service to protect their mansion during the Camp Fire. They saved some other mansions as well while they were there so we have that as a heartwarming story of the value of privatization.

I like the part in "Atlas Shrugged" where the "Looters" are sweeping through the countryside burning any house worth more than $10,000 (adjust for inflation).

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hey, now. California's not the only one. In Washington, the inmate firefighters get paid a solid $0.70-1.60/day. Those California inmates are living high on their $2/day hog!

I can't seem to find a list of states that do/don't do this. But WA, OR, GA, CA, CO all do. Idaho just suspended it following a rape...

Haha, BC almost does:
https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2017PSSG0052-001667

James Baud fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Nov 29, 2018

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Pinterest Mom posted:

Well yes it would be nicer if people weren't conservatives

This is a pretty bizarre sentiment for you to adopt after some of your previous posts:

Pinterest Mom posted:

I see people from the left like Kilpatrick and Khalek approvingly citing that article, and I see their history of criticising identity politics, and your history of systematically questioning marginalised peoples' participation in the political process, and it's not hard to draw connections.

If the capital-L institutional Left wants to treat queer people as enemies of the cause, we're going to keep taking note of it, and we're going to keep taking note of who wants to set our concerns aside because they're ~identity politics~.

You are quite happy to throw baseless accusations when punching left but when a personal friend of yours actively supports a hard right transphobic and anticlimate agenda you go out of your way to defend them, specifically appropriating the language of mi purity rights to defend the actions of a Tory.

There is an important role for identity politics because by necessity oppressed groups must organize around their shared experiences and can't always trust outsiders. But shitheads like you who appropriate the language of identity politics poison the well by twisting it into a defense of someone who supported Doug Ford.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

https://twitter.com/richard680news/status/1068169409322135552

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

What a dumb loving poo poo Pallister is. This is gonna cost us so much more.

Similar to when Winnipeg privatized snow clearing and now for the past few years it's some of the worst poo poo imaginable.