Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Andromeda was not a bad game at all. However, it was aggressively mediocre and didn't do anything fun or novel. And I really enjoyed Inquisition so I was hoping them using the same open-world template for Andromeda would be awesome but it wasn't. Inquisition has far better characters, story, and more varied and interesting environments. Andromeda is pretty, but who needs three desert planets?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Wolfsheim posted:

:golfclap:

I always tried to play a warrior in every DA and could never make it happen because its soooooo boring. Kinda unfortunate because it always railroads you into using whoever the designated tank character is if you're playing on anything other than baby mode. And as much as I like Alistair and Aveline, neither works for the second playthrough where you inevitably take all the evil choices you didn't the first time.

Conversely I've never seen most of the rogue dialogue in any of the games because the idea of taking more than one rogue with the atrocious AI is almost unthinkable. Zevran literally never left my camp except to have that one orgy in Denerim.

Rogues: Build a class around stealth, placement, traps, distraction abilities, etc
AI: Charge face first at enemies and spam attack.

Warriors easily are the least interesting class across the franchise. With Mages and Rogues you can get creative and fun especially with class combos or at the very least always be able to unlock any locked chest when forced to play solo due to story demands.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I enjoyed playing as a Sword and Shield Warrior in Inquisition

Although I also tried to play it as a damage dealer with the Champion Subclass, because I like Sword and Shield Knights, but didn’t want to tank and also didn’t want to take the Templar and Reaver Subclasses for RP reasons

So I basically crafted the most damaging one handed sword, added the Hidden Baldes Effect for extra damage, use shield bash a lot, and also used the special challenge ability to make the enemy take more damage while I got extra armor

Come to think of it, I pretty much tried to play Inquisition like Dark Souls because that was the game I previously played

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

For my inevitable next run of DA2 I want to play a Dual Wielding Rogue. I tried playing a Bow-and -Arrow rogue but holy poo poo was it boring. I had much more fun in my 2H Warrior run.

Granted, my last run was the only one where I finally switched it up to Normal. Was using a mage and I gotta say, I will miss it because debuffs are so amazing. When you have stacked hexes and whatnot on a boss and everyone is going to town on it, their health bar just plummets in seconds. Then as soon as the debuffs wear off, the bar barely moves.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

NikkolasKing posted:

For my inevitable next run of DA2 I want to play a Dual Wielding Rogue. I tried playing a Bow-and -Arrow rogue but holy poo poo was it boring. I had much more fun in my 2H Warrior run.

2H Rogue is fun. I would often have contests with Isabela to see who could make enemies explode into a fine red mist faster.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

SgtSteel91 posted:

I enjoyed playing as a Sword and Shield Warrior in Inquisition

Although I also tried to play it as a damage dealer with the Champion Subclass, because I like Sword and Shield Knights, but didn’t want to tank and also didn’t want to take the Templar and Reaver Subclasses for RP reasons

So I basically crafted the most damaging one handed sword, added the Hidden Baldes Effect for extra damage, use shield bash a lot, and also used the special challenge ability to make the enemy take more damage while I got extra armor

Come to think of it, I pretty much tried to play Inquisition like Dark Souls because that was the game I previously played

I did a Templar once with sword and shield that was pretty fun. The cleanse combo just owns demons/rifts.

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

I've always considered DA2 to be a bad game that I nonetheless kind of love. I actually enjoyed the gameplay, and I think the characters are well written and fun to interact with. It obviously is still bad though because it had like two or three maps that it used for all quests, and a claustrophobically small game world that didn't even take advantage of the cool time gimmick.

DA2 with more money and effort might be best the best in the series, but it was only in development for less than a year.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
the real reason DA2 is bad is because it leaned harder into the worst elements of previous BioWare games, like the shameless power fantasy aspects, and also moved away from letting the player make fun character defining choices in a setting that responded to them.

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

Utgardaloki posted:

the real reason DA2 is bad is because it leaned harder into the worst elements of previous BioWare games, like the shameless power fantasy aspects, and also moved away from letting the player make fun character defining choices in a setting that responded to them.

Absolutely right but let’s not forget it’s rushed and unfinished poo poo *incongruously turns into reprised boss asset from the worst Origins DLC*

Zane
Nov 14, 2007

Utgardaloki posted:

being a shameless power fantasy is actually the least successful accusation you can comparatively heap at da2's door. hawke is unsuccessful at resolving almost every major personal and factional dispute in the story. they only succeed in preventing the city from being burnt completely to the ground. and this through openly clumsy violence.

Zane fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 28, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Andromeda has great maps, incredibly fun and rewarding combat that supports a huge variety of play styles, and NPCs/quests that are blander than plain white toast. Especially the Angarans. The party members were largely boring as well, leading to a general sense of meh that permeated the project

However the multiplayer was fantastic

Pozload Escobar
Aug 21, 2016

by Reene

precision posted:

Andromeda

However the multiplayer was fantastic

This ain’t it chief

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Zane posted:

being a shameless power fantasy is actually the least successful accusation you can comparatively heap at da2's door. hawke is unsuccessful at resolving almost every major personal and factional dispute in the story. they only succeed in preventing the city from being burnt completely to the ground. and this through openly clumsy violence.

Yeah, power fantasy is the weirdest criticism of DA2. Hawke is just some guy or girl and that's all there is to them. Compared to:
-Dark Lord of the Sith and also galactic hero who single-handedly saved the Galactic Republic
-last of the Spirit Monks who were vital in keeping the world in balance
-recruit into a super secret and kind of elite organization that also is responsible for saving the world
-leader of a group that saves the world

"Refugee who becomes hero of a city-state before having to flee said city-state and live on the run" is nothing.

About all Hawke really has is the best Husbando or Waifu if you particularly like Anders, Fenris, Isabela or Merrill.

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...
The problem is that the game and the characters try to tell you that Hawke is important, when everything that happens shows otherwise. And there's no indication that they were going for something clever with this. The game just didn't know what it wanted to be, and Hawke lay at the heart of that.
Its nice to move save the world angle, but DA2 fucks this up by having you virtually on rails and hanging out with a bunch of assholes who would never, EVER put their lives on the line for the others in combat. The previous Bioware games all had dysfunctional casts loosely united by a greater threat, and with the player character potentially making them a family. It helped make the things they did, the people they killed without question, feel natural in that weird RPG sense. Mass Effect 2 added a whole new layer to it, making most characters murderers, war criminals, or freaks who were pretty much forcibly conscripted in many cases, but eventually can learn to act as a team, if you make the right choices. DA2 has a bunch of sociopathic ideologues who hang out together for literally no reason and should logically be trying to kill one another.

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Zane posted:

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, power fantasy is the weirdest criticism of DA2. Hawke is just some guy or girl and that's all there is to them. Compared to:
-Dark Lord of the Sith and also galactic hero who single-handedly saved the Galactic Republic
-last of the Spirit Monks who were vital in keeping the world in balance
-recruit into a super secret and kind of elite organization that also is responsible for saving the world
-leader of a group that saves the world

"Refugee who becomes hero of a city-state before having to flee said city-state and live on the run" is nothing.

About all Hawke really has is the best Husbando or Waifu if you particularly like Anders, Fenris, Isabela or Merrill.

wicked origin stories and a plot that allows character agency aren't necessary elements of a power fantasy. i'm talking about the base stuff - Hawke and crew mow down scores of opponents with weightless anime flair, all of the people they interact with are drawn to them for literally no discernible reasons other than that they're the player character, events conspire to allow Hawke to achieve great things even if they're totally tangential to the plot, all without the weight of actual decision making or actual moments where you can define what Hawke is other than Mean/Nice/an ambivalent dick

compare DA:O, where navigating the 'moral' choices may very well have left you with weaker allies at the end of the game, or antagonizing your party members might well leave you without them. not to say that navigating those systems was challenging or anything other than pathetically easy to game, but in theory you could be playing the game in your third language or some other judgment impairing handicap and end up with a result you didn't *exactly* want.

DA2 i guess sometimes makes you choose between liking mages and liking Fenris but it's even more embarrassingly transparent and love/hate are effectively the same thing as long as you're consistent. (as opposed to flexible or nuanced, but that's a different complaint)

Zane
Nov 14, 2007
playing around with the basic genre formula means taking big chances with plotting and characterization (in the case of da2 i think it was more wild improvisation to hit the release window). this is always risky because you've effectively left behind the template that tells you how people should behave, where events should be going, and what is satisfying to your audience. da2 is an object lesson in the limitations and benefits of genre and what can happen--for good or ill--when you draw outside the lines.

edit:

quote:

wicked origin stories and a plot that allows character agency aren't necessary elements of a power fantasy. i'm talking about the base stuff - Hawke and crew mow down scores of opponents with weightless anime flair, all of the people they interact with are drawn to them for literally no discernible reasons other than that they're the player character, events conspire to allow Hawke to achieve great things even if they're totally tangential to the plot, all without the weight of actual decision making or actual moments where you can define what Hawke is other than Mean/Nice/an ambivalent dick

compare DA:O, where navigating the 'moral' choices may very well have left you with weaker allies at the end of the game, or antagonizing your party members might well leave you without them. not to say that navigating those systems was challenging or anything other than pathetically easy to game, but in theory you could be playing the game in your third language or some other judgment impairing handicap and end up with a result you didn't *exactly* want.
all the narrative/design elements you mention are basically present in equal proportions across da:1 and da:2.

Zane fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 28, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Stroop There It Is posted:

This is absolutely not related to the current discussion but has anybody else played the Dragon Age tabletop RPG from Green Ronin? I actually really like it, but I don't know if that's just because my friend is a really good DM and we're all giant Bioware lore nerds.

Can you give a rundown of what makes the RPG interesting and different from D&D? I'll probably never play it because I'm the only person in my friendgroup who's played a significant amount of DA but I'm curious about the system and what makes it stand out.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Utgardaloki posted:

compare DA:O, where navigating the 'moral' choices may very well have left you with weaker allies at the end of the game, or antagonizing your party members might well leave you without them.

In DA2 your sibling can die and you can hand Isabela to the Arishok and tell Anders to leave. In the endgame you decide whether to kill Anders (just when his party buffs would be most helpful), and then other party members may attack you and have to be killed (eg Fenris).

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I always kill Anders because I hate him and his stupid name.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Shugojin posted:

yo can we shut the gently caress up about incels this derail is stupid even for a thread that was always going to be bickering about dragon age 2

Is there really anything "derailing" the thread when nothing new has been out in years?

Nichael
Mar 30, 2011

Taear posted:

Is there really anything "derailing" the thread when nothing new has been out in years?

There's been a bunch of comics setting up new characters for a game that will never exist!

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's really a shame because I thought Inquisition, while not perfect, was a return to form and I felt like the story had so much momentum coming off Trespasser. Maybe at least one day we'll get to see some awesome Tevinter Imperium concept art once Bioware goes on firesale.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

exquisite tea posted:

It's really a shame because I thought Inquisition, while not perfect, was a return to form and I felt like the story had so much momentum coming off Trespasser. Maybe at least one day we'll get to see some awesome Tevinter Imperium concept art once Bioware goes on firesale.

I agree and I guess it feels like EA just absolutely doesn't care. Which I guess it doesn't.
If your only goal is "more money" and you don't care about what you're actually creating why would you give a poo poo about the Dragon Age franchise? I'm just surprised they're not making freemium mobile games at this point since that's where the real money is.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
It's okay. Blizzard beat them to it.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

PureRok posted:

It's okay. Blizzard beat them to it.

Yeah, and that was received well...

I wonder if they will regret it?

*Narrator's voice* "They didn't"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So this is a minor thing but why the gently caress doesn't DA Origins or DA2 PC have native gamepad support? They were made in the 21st Century for mainstream audiences. I get that The Witcher didn't have gamepad support because it's for PC Master Race nerds, the kind who probably insist BW hasn't made a good game since Baldur's Gate 2. But Dragon Age, given it was released for consoles, just makes sense to have native gamepad support.

I'm trying to play The Witcher 1 right now and it needs all those keys and commands but DA really doesn't. I've never used KB&M for any game in my life.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Not even Mass Effect 1-3 had controller support on PC even though the series started as a console exclusive, it's really funny.

However, DAO wasn't originally a game designed with consoles in mind. I'll give you DA2 though.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The console port had so many differences from the base PC version that I don't think they could easily just port the controls back. I dunno why the Mass Effect games didn't have gamepad controls though.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
DA:O was development solely for the PC. The console version was an outsourced port. The post-release patch team probably had a hard enough time just getting the game to work right. So implementing controllers controls and a brand new controller-friendly interface, camera, etc, was probably way too low of a priority. For DA2 it was probably a case there not being enough time to add proper controller support to their PC codebase.

Wierdly for the PC port of ME1, demiurge apparently broke the console controls while implementing the keyboard & mouse controls. I don't know if that's an issue with the version of Unreal Bioware was using. But that seemed to have carried over to ME2 & ME3. Both the PC versions of those games shipped with working controller support build in. It was just disabled. And enabling it breaks the keyboard & mouse controls.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NikkolasKing posted:

So this is a minor thing but why the gently caress doesn't DA Origins or DA2 PC have native gamepad support? They were made in the 21st Century for mainstream audiences. I get that The Witcher didn't have gamepad support because it's for PC Master Race nerds, the kind who probably insist BW hasn't made a good game since Baldur's Gate 2. But Dragon Age, given it was released for consoles, just makes sense to have native gamepad support.

I'm trying to play The Witcher 1 right now and it needs all those keys and commands but DA really doesn't. I've never used KB&M for any game in my life.

There’s actually a pinnacle profile for Witcher 1 and I’ve successfully played through that game several times with my game pad and it works quite well. There may be something similar for DA.

For mass effect 1-3 there’s actually an Xbox controller mod on the nexus for each game that restores the Xbox interface and controls.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

There’s actually a pinnacle profile for Witcher 1 and I’ve successfully played through that game several times with my game pad and it works quite well. There may be something similar for DA.

For mass effect 1-3 there’s actually an Xbox controller mod on the nexus for each game that restores the Xbox interface and controls.

Pinnacle won't work for me on my new Win10 comp but I'm using Padstarr which is made by the same guy and also uses Pinnacle profiles. There are like five or more profiles for Witcher 1. The first couple I didn't like but I did end up finding one that worked well but I still need a new gamepad. Third gamepad in as many months. First I tried AmazonBasicc Xbox One which had the A button jam in two weeks. Then I got PDP box 360 controller which seems to have problems with Wind10 PC's randomly not recognizing it. That's the one I'm using now and other than that it is as good as every other PDP controller I've owned.

I'll just get a new PDP Xbox One controller next month. Only $20 and that includes shipping.

It's not as bad using keyboard and mouse as I first feared. The fact you have in-game Pause is a lifesaver, though. I'd be hosed without that.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Controller Companion for Steam costs $2 and will let you map pretty much anything to a 360 gamepad.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

NikkolasKing posted:

Pinnacle won't work for me on my new Win10 comp but I'm using Padstarr which is made by the same guy and also uses Pinnacle profiles. There are like five or more profiles for Witcher 1. The first couple I didn't like but I did end up finding one that worked well but I still need a new gamepad. Third gamepad in as many months. First I tried AmazonBasicc Xbox One which had the A button jam in two weeks. Then I got PDP box 360 controller which seems to have problems with Wind10 PC's randomly not recognizing it. That's the one I'm using now and other than that it is as good as every other PDP controller I've owned.

I'll just get a new PDP Xbox One controller next month. Only $20 and that includes shipping.

It's not as bad using keyboard and mouse as I first feared. The fact you have in-game Pause is a lifesaver, though. I'd be hosed without that.

Out of curiosity what’s wrong with Pinnacle on Win 10? I still use it just fine. Is there anything I should watch out for like eating page files or something?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

exquisite tea posted:

Controller Companion for Steam costs $2 and will let you map pretty much anything to a 360 gamepad.

Does it support PS4 controllers?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

DS4 windows effectively emulates a 360 gamepad for your PS4 controller, you could try downloading that.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chaosapiant posted:

Out of curiosity what’s wrong with Pinnacle on Win 10? I still use it just fine. Is there anything I should watch out for like eating page files or something?

It just plain won't load. I install it and then try to run it and nothing. A lot of other people have reported the same problem but none of the fixes I've read have worked for me. I just gave up when I found out Padstarr exists.

But if it works for you then you should have nothing to worry about.

exquisite tea posted:

Well I got Witcher 1 and 2 off GOG so...

And of course DA2 and Mass Effect can only be played with Origin. About all the games I care about at present

EDIT:

Huh, ME is on Steam? I thought they stopped putting EA games on Steam or something. Oh well.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

You can buy the app from Steam but it’s available any time.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

You could also still play DA and ME and Witcher through Steam also by adding them as non-steam games.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
Biowares teases secret Dragon Age details in coming month

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Kotaku 2022:

"BioWare spent five years developing Dragon Age: Imperium, but all but 18 months were essentially wasted in an attempt to make the game play more like a combination of Fortnite and Fallout:76. Reviews were not kind."