Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kimsemus posted:

you take off work and you earn less

shock of the century

You shouldn’t.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009
Ah yes, says the conservative, but if you control for all the things that cause this and characterize it as "choice", the differential drops to almost nothing*!

(I realize that the article addresses this point but that is and always will be the con counterargument)

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Crow Jane posted:

Jfc, look at those loving eye circles. There has to be a right wing makeup artist or whatever who could teach him about blending, that poo poo's just getting sad

I run a fairly large organization of designers and data science engineers, and part of me wants to task the whole group with building a bot that finds every image of trump on twitter and posts a new version with his skin tone adjusted to match the circles around his eyes.

Like this:

I would surely lose my job, but for a few days it’d be totally worth it.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

You shouldn’t.

so wait

you expect to earn the same amount as someone who doesn't take off work when you take off work

:thunk:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

first world countries have paid parental leave.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ah yes, says the conservative, but if you control for all the things that cause this and characterize it as "choice", the differential drops to almost nothing*!

(I realize that the article addresses this point but that is and always will be the con counterargument)

it is hilarious that they think this debunks the pay gap.

i am the perfect logical and rational human and have not been affected by culture and society at all. i am a being of pure free will.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Kimsemus posted:

shock of the century

Kimsemus is a shithead

shock of the century

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
I'm not saying it debunks the entire pay gap, but the premise of this article is flawed from the onset.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kimsemus posted:

so wait

you expect to earn the same amount as someone who doesn't take off work when you take off work

If you have a salary yes.

Jealous Cow
Apr 4, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Kimsemus posted:

so wait

We should have extensive paid vacation and leave mandatory for all employers, like many European countries that don’t work their population into an early grave to bump up dividends a few percent.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Pollyanna posted:

If you have a salary yes.

Except salaries have work requirements.

Your choice (and modern feminism is all about choice, it's your body after all) teaches if you have kids, you might have to stay at home from work and earn less than your working partner

or don't have kids and stay at work

like if you earned the same for taking off work everyone would just take off work.

Ague Proof posted:

Kimsemus is a shithead

shock of the century

okay NPC poster #23432.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kimsemus posted:

shock of the century

Galaxy Brain: if women want to make more money they should work more

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

so wait

you're learning, no attempt to greentext in this one

fun trivia: using this same statistical trick you can show that black people made more than white people during slavery.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Jealous Cow posted:

I run a fairly large organization of designers and data science engineers, and part of me wants to task the whole group with building a bot that finds every image of trump on twitter and posts a new version with his skin tone adjusted to match the circles around his eyes.

Like this:

I would surely lose my job, but for a few days it’d be totally worth it.

Some Anti-Fascist nerd is opening Anaconda and reading the scikit-learn docs as we speak. :gritin:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Kimsemus posted:

shock of the century
Try reading.

Then,

Try thinking.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Kimsemus posted:

I'm not saying it debunks the entire pay gap, but the premise of this article is flawed from the onset.
It's almost as though there's something about women that might require them to take more time off on average and we probably shouldn't gently caress them over just for being born that way :thunk:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kimsemus posted:

Your choice (and modern feminism is all about choice, it's your body after all) teaches if you have kids, you might have to stay at home from work and earn less than your working partner

like if you earned the same for taking off work everyone would just take off work.

Why doesn't the woman go to work and the man stay home and earn less?

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

okay NPC poster #23432.

...oh, and I'd -just- congratulated you on your ability to codeswitch, too. embarrassing.

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

Why doesn't the woman go to work and the man stay home and earn less?

No one is saying it can't happen that way.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

terrorist ambulance posted:

Ah yes the Ben Shapiro Special.

Ague Proof
Jun 5, 2014

they told me
I was everything

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!! posted:

fun trivia: using this same statistical trick you can show that black people made more than white people during slavery.

Don't give him ideas.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kimsemus posted:

According to that article, this is much rarer. Why is that?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
https://twitter.com/TheOnion/status/1068176014990290944

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

haveblue posted:

According to that article, it hardly ever does. Why is that?

I have no idea. My wife works roughly the same as me, earns roughly the same pay, and we don't want children. It's a choice.

If she or I had to stay at home for X time to raise the kid, then we'd expect to have reduced income.

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

Don’t mind Kimsemus, his parents were both actual latchkeys

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Crow Jane posted:

Jfc, look at those loving eye circles. There has to be a right wing makeup artist or whatever who could teach him about blending, that poo poo's just getting sad

He's such a narcissist that he thinks he looks great. He honestly can't see the fact that he looks like a Yankee Candle that was left in the dishwasher. He looks like toddler playing dress up because everything is tailored to conceal his meat husk and probably honestly believes scales are wrong and he actually weighs 220 or whatever bullshit his quack WH doctor said.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No what’s important is you WORK WORK WORK and if you don’t WORK you’re a stupid LEECH, you need to WORK you are my BATTERY. Mmmmoooonnnnnneeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Kimsemus posted:

It’s almost as if the gender wage gap forces men working and women staying home to be the economically beneficial choice, which further aggravates the gender wage gap.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

It’s almost as if the gender wage gap forces men working and women staying home to be the economically beneficial choice, which further aggravates the gender wage gap.

Solution: double women’s pay.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Kimsemus posted:

I have no idea. My wife works roughly the same as me, earns roughly the same pay, and we don't want children. It's a choice.

If she or I had to stay at home for X time to raise the kid, then we'd expect to have reduced income.

odd. a second ago you were full of creative explanations for inequalities in the system.

wonder why the sudden uncharacteristic lack of Provocative Ideas (tm)

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Pollyanna posted:

No what’s important is you WORK WORK WORK and if you don’t WORK you’re a stupid LEECH, you need to WORK you are my BATTERY. Mmmmoooonnnnnneeeeyyyyyyyyyyyy

Women shouldn't expect to get paid the same for taking so much time off work to raise a family

also

Why the gently caress are our birth rates so low just have more kids so we don't need these darn immigrants

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

odd. a second ago you were full of creative explanations for inequalities in the system.

Naw man, he namedropped feminism like three times.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass

Kimsemus posted:

shock of the century

Reading comprehension is difficult, but it's just one sentence you have to parse:

"Women earned roughly half the income of men in the United States over a 15-year period, taking into account time off for family or child care..."

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Pleads posted:

Women shouldn't expect to get paid the same for taking so much time off work to raise a family

also

Why the gently caress are our birth rates so low just have more kids so we don't need these darn immigrants

I love the logic here that raising a family is not worthy of being supported financially but you better get me some drat grandkids :bahgawd:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

spicy take: maybe there are inequalities in the system and maybe some of that is caused by personal choices

mod sassinator posted:

Reading comprehension is difficult, but it's just one sentence you have to parse:

"Women earned roughly half the income of men in the United States over a 15-year period, taking into account time off for family or child care..."

thank you for making my point for me.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Kimsemus posted:

if only your parents had made the same choice

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Pay raises for time on the job are mostly bullshit. You should be paid as much as your union can bargain for, with seniority counting for little if anything. Annual or scheduled cost-of-living increases are perfectly acceptable.
Let's be honest for most jobs the difference in performance between someone who's been there a year and someone who's been there five are basically non-existent.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

having children is a personal choice society should not subsidize in any way, says man who was (and still is) a child

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

evilweasel posted:

if only your parents had made the same choice

i too wish people who had different opinions from me didn't exist

something awful is getting close though

evilweasel posted:

having children is a personal choice society should not subsidize in any way, says man who was (and still is) a child

yeah my mom chose to stay home after she chose to have kids

so controversial.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only thing that deserves monetary reward is making more money for me. :smugdog:

Kimsemus posted:

i too wish people who had different opinions from me didn't exist

something awful is getting close though

It’s not “different opinions” if you’re just wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kimsemus posted:

spicy take: maybe there are inequalities in the system and maybe some of that is caused by personal choices.

Do you think that maybe women shouldn't be penalized for making a choice that they must make of civilization is going to continue?