Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rebirth also added in a bunch more exploration with the long range scanner and the stream man is now exploring an asteroid field for rare crystal clusters on rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squiggle posted:

Someone mentioned wanting custom ship logos, and I think that's actually possible. Cohh has his logo on his ship.

weird, because there's only one you need, and it's this one

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I hope they put in a pause and plan system. Trying to give orders mid combat was a pain in the rear end in X3

Taintrunner posted:

:eyepop:

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

friendly 2 da void posted:

Everybody talks about how much fun building a fiddly space trading empire is in these games....but I feel like nobody ever talks about the combat or exploration. Is that because it's really bad, or is it just not the main reason most people play?

A more direct question: will this game be any fun if I have no interest in space spreadsheets and just want to fly around dogfighting, discovering cool new poo poo, and buying bigger ships/better weapons?

Exploration is handled like a standard open world game. You can basically go anywhere and will absolutely get your butt kicked going to the wrong areas with the wrong thing, but it's also a space game and space is empty. Exploration boils down to finding new stations to trade at or sell you new stuff you want to buy, with the occasional run to find a cool screenshot opportunity. If you want to get really involved there are usually some easter eggs or ships scattered about you can find, but you need to be invested in checking the darkest corners of the universe to find them.

As for combat, if it's anything like the rest of the series which it does appear to be, then it's floaty and fast paced which ends up not being a great combo. I personally can't standard combat in X3 and treat it like a strategy game where I setup a ship, or entire fleet, that I fly around in that is built to do the actual shooting for me and only get directly involved when it comes to trading blows between big and unwieldy ships.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Taintrunner posted:

Actually the best one is already in the game, and it is the bear with the guitar.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Popete posted:

It's pretty hosed up I cannot play this game right now.

*Screams in Friday*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nessin posted:

Exploration is handled like a standard open world game. You can basically go anywhere and will absolutely get your butt kicked going to the wrong areas with the wrong thing, but it's also a space game and space is empty. Exploration boils down to finding new stations to trade at or sell you new stuff you want to buy, with the occasional run to find a cool screenshot opportunity. If you want to get really involved there are usually some easter eggs or ships scattered about you can find, but you need to be invested in checking the darkest corners of the universe to find them.

Not quite true, actually, they have included the Rebirth mechanic of random boxes of stuff in deep space, and you can pick up trace signals at long range with the long range scanner.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Orv posted:

*Screams in Friday*

My new $3000 gaming desktop tower shows up Friday, this timing couldn't pan out any better!

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Not quite true, actually, they have included the Rebirth mechanic of random boxes of stuff in deep space, and you can pick up trace signals at long range with the long range scanner.

I don't really count that as exploration, but I'll concede that I may be in the minority.

Side note for anyone who is looking to pre-order the game, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing it on GoG. Don't get me wrong, I like GoG and would prefer to purchase it from them over steam, but Egosoft makes no mention of them selling the game through GoG, which is kind of a red flag for whether they're going to remember it when it comes time for releasing it elsewhere or updates in the future.

They do provide a link to Gamersgate if you're the type to avoid Steam at all costs, but honestly it's buried and most of their own website is purely about selling it on Steam.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

nessin posted:

I don't really count that as exploration, but I'll concede that I may be in the minority.

Side note for anyone who is looking to pre-order the game, I wouldn't necessarily recommend doing it on GoG. Don't get me wrong, I like GoG and would prefer to purchase it from them over steam, but Egosoft makes no mention of them selling the game through GoG, which is kind of a red flag for whether they're going to remember it when it comes time for releasing it elsewhere or updates in the future.

They do provide a link to Gamersgate if you're the type to avoid Steam at all costs, but honestly it's buried and most of their own website is purely about selling it on Steam.

It's not super interesting on its own but it gives you things to actually find and profit from when you're out exploring space. Same with the new crystal formations on asteroids, you don't just have to obliterate fields of rocks, you can instead try to find valuable things in the field and only harvest them. So you're less industrially focused and more exploration focused.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are there dedicated mining ships? How does mining work? I didn't see it on the streams yesterday and I don't remember ever doing it in X3.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Popete posted:

Are there dedicated mining ships? How does mining work? I didn't see it on the streams yesterday and I don't remember ever doing it in X3.

There are both gas mining ships and mineral mining ships, it looks like you need to use drones to collect what you mine. The guy on the Angry Joe stream was trying to do it, but couldn't figure it out - I'm guessing you need software for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Popete posted:

There are mining ships and from previous games I would suggest that it probably means that you need the right storage type (bulk, inheriting from Rebirth) and the ability to mount mining weapons and possibly collector drones.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Awesome, as lame as it sounds I enjoyed mining in Eve cause it was fun to watch your drones swarm around.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's fun watching ships do it in Rebirth too. Being able to do it from your own office on the refining station is gonna be even more fun I think :v:

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I can't wait to reach end game where I no longer have to fly spaceships in my spaceship sim game.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Popete posted:

It's pretty hosed up I cannot play this game right now.

:hmmyes:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I wonder if you can get small mining ships? I'd love to get a fleet of them on a freighter.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Pylons posted:

I wonder if you can get small mining ships? I'd love to get a fleet of them on a freighter.

Want to get that carrier ship that has 40 hangers and strip mine the entire galaxy.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Popete posted:

Want to get that carrier ship that has 40 hangers and strip mine the entire galaxy.

The Teladi freighter has 40 internal storage and 2 hangars, so now I'm just imagining a constantly cycling mining fleet going in and out and strip mining an entire field.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Hope I can be a traffic cop like X-3 and just sit along those huge traffic lines between jumpgates made up of tiny non-player craft, checking license plates.

Dont think I ever caught anyone doing anything illegal, but still.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wait, wait.

I just thought.

I can use the station editor to make a weed complex that looks like a blunt.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

OwlFancier posted:

Wait, wait.

I just thought.

:hmmyes:

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

I had to shut off Angry Joe's stream because all I'm doing is making myself more and more desperate to play it and my girlfriend's like "why are you doing this to yourself"

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

OwlFancier posted:

Wait, wait.

I just thought.

If you can somehow put "420BlazeIt" on one of the struts this will truly be the Best Game.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dr. Snark posted:

If you can somehow put "420BlazeIt" on one of the struts this will truly be the Best Game.

It does print the ID of the vessel on the side so I assume it might do that with stations too, though I don't think you can custom name them unfortunately.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
The ambient traffic around stations and in space, landing at a station and seeing aliens walking around. Small stuff like that really adds to the atmosphere of this game, I like it a lot.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

A hauler filled with miner bee ships just needs a mod that lets me capture ships via tractor beam to become the Homeworld simulator I've always wanted.

Also need a mobile factory ship but that seems easier.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I hope my humble 970 can cope with this. :ohdear:

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

Obsidian Ant got the PHQ.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

That older British streamer dude just spent over an hour trying to make it through a typical Egosoft jank-o-script campaign mission, falling into the ever popular pitfall of diverging from that one particular thing you needed to do at that moment and the interface not communicating in any way about it. Never change, Egosoft. But... player hub!

GuardianOfAsgaard
Feb 1, 2012

Their steel shines red
With enemy blood
It sings of victory
Granted by the Gods
Can you do what you could in X3 and place your PHQ down in an empty sector and put lasertowers near the gate and kinda claim the sector for yourself?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GuardianOfAsgaard posted:

Can you do what you could in X3 and place your PHQ down in an empty sector and put lasertowers near the gate and kinda claim the sector for yourself?

The HQ I think is actually something you find and I'm not sure how that's gonna work because it'd be weird if you were forced to set up in one place..

But given that it uses teleportation technology I'm wondering if maybe you'll be able to teleport it somewhere else later in the game, bit like the xenon hub... I assume someone will mod in variable HQ locations at least.

They did put lasertowers back in though and you can put big guns on your stations too.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I completely forgot about this game's existence after the initial announcement that... it existed. I now see that it's coming out in under 24 hours. The OP is old. Does anyone have a summation as to how good/bad it'll be and how similar/dissimilar it will be to Albion Prelude?

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It's gonna be great

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cohh stream looked good, game was solid all the way through for like 4-5 hours. gonna buy tomorrow.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

DaveKap posted:

I completely forgot about this game's existence after the initial announcement that... it existed. I now see that it's coming out in under 24 hours. The OP is old. Does anyone have a summation as to how good/bad it'll be and how similar/dissimilar it will be to Albion Prelude?

Is GotY

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DaveKap posted:

I forgot I didn't have that info in there. Fixed it.

Basically people have been streaming it since yesterday and it looks really drat good. A lot like X3 but with a feel more like Elite Dangerous I guess.

Not that I've played elite dangerous but it looks a lot more like that level of immersion that they're going for.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 29, 2018

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Solid, I'm looking forward to trying it out! This next week is gonna be rear end between this, Destiny 2's new DLC, Smash Bros Ultimate, and Just Cause 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

DaveKap posted:

Just Cause 4.

I totally forgot that was coming out this week... aaaaaaaaaaa